• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It All Began With... Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep |OT|

Pureauthor said:
Is it just me, or does the lock-on function in this game blow? Half the time it just randomly deactivates for no discernible reason.

It helps that literally every endgame boss has some sort of teleport ability that kills lock-on. |:|

Kingsora

Would rather have no penis than have to show his to a medical professional
kyo_daikun said:
My special edition arrived this morning, my mum nabbed it to give me as a birthday present tomorrow, i'll probably sit and play it at work all day long (can't beleive im buying PSP games again!)
It's also my bday tommorow :p *High five*

Kingsora

kyo_daikun said:
Virgos rock! In hindsight I should have just kept the game and be playing it right now, lameness...
At least you have something to look forward to tommorow, I hate bdays, they make me feel old =(

Septimus

I know nothing about this game (Big KH fan though) and I'm about to go pick it up right now. I hear there are 3 stories/characters. Is there a preferred order? Or is only one character available at the start?

Happy birthday!
oforpx.gif

4607-PBF006BCBallerinaSlippers.jpg

21759_540.jpg

Ontopic : Gonna pick BBS up on the way homefrom work o/

Septimus said:
I know nothing about this game (Big KH fan though) and I'm about to go pick it up right now. I hear there are 3 stories/characters. Is there a preferred order? Or is only one character available at the start?
You can choose any of the three at the start
Chronologically, story wise you wanna play it Terra > Ventus > Aqua

Kingsora

Septimus said:
Terra - Ven - Aqua is the best way according to Nomura, but you can follow a different path if you want

Kingsora said:
Terra - Ven - Aqua is the best way according to Nomura, but you can follow a different path if you want

This needs to be added to the OP, I see it getting asked on nearly every page :lol

Beat Terra's story. The final boss seems to have a real issue with choosing whether or not to acknowledge that I hit him. Annoying as heck. :/

Time to take a break from KH:BbS.

Does the PSP Bundle for this game have the kingdom hearts silkscreen on the back like the japanese version or is it just a silver psp?

Edit: Finally found a youtube video of the US version. LAME.

mjc

So are the three character's storylines the same thing or is it a three story/three different perspectives and adventures type of thing?

mjc said:
So are the three character's storylines the same thing or is it a three story/three different perspectives and adventures type of thing?

3 different perspectives.

The characters travel separately.

Reknoc

Wow Terra why are you so dumb. I kinda regret playing him first, maybe he would have been a neat character that when he's Sasukeing it up I would assume he was super tricked by the villains and not simply told something dumb and he totally believed them.

Bebpo

Banned
Reknoc said:
Wow Terra why are you so dumb. I kinda regret playing him first, maybe he would have been a neat character that when he's Sasukeing it up I would assume he was super tricked by the villains and not simply told something dumb and he totally believed them.

Yeah, despite what everyone says in this thread you really are supposed to do Ventus first. Makes the story more enjoyable because you get a good lead off the bat and it makes you want to know what happened to Terra to cause him to do what he was doing.

duckroll

Bebpo said:
Yeah, despite what everyone says in this thread you really are supposed to do Ventus first. Makes the story more enjoyable because you get a good lead off the bat and it makes you want to know what happened to Terra to cause him to do what he was doing.

Nonsense. You're just jealous that Terra gets all the love because you want to suck on Ventus/Roxas/Sora's little boy penis! :lol

StuBurns

Banned
Vent is clearly meant to be played first, just based on his positioning, the question is which order makes the story come together most smoothly. The design intent is for the player to choose Vent first, it just might not actually be the most enjoyable way to play it.

Jerk

Banned
Fimbulvetr said:
It helps that literally every endgame boss has some sort of teleport ability that kills lock-on. |:|

It really depends on when you use it and which one you use.

Terra's string of bosses were made much easier when using certain shotlock abilities.

duckroll

StuBurns said:
Vent is clearly meant to be played first, just based on his positioning, the question is which order makes the story come together most smoothly. The design intent is for the player to choose Vent first, it just might not actually be the most enjoyable way to play it.

No. Terra was designed to be played first. Unless you think the director is "clearly" wrong. :p

Jerk

Banned
StuBurns said:

I agree.

Everything about Ven screams 'beginner.'

From his character to his story to his combat style and abilities.

Terra stuff just happens to be chronologically first.

Playing Ventus right now and I don't think I'm enjoying it as much. sucks having to relearn all the abilities/commands I got with Terra.

Jerk

Banned
ExtraKr1spy said:
Playing Ventus right now and I don't think I'm enjoying it as much. sucks having to relearn all the abilities/commands I got with Terra.

Terra was much more fun to play as.

I really dislike Ven's shorter reach and low damage.

duckroll

StuBurns said:
Okay, tell me what in the design makes the users think they should choose Terra?

He's a sexy man, he's the tallest, and he was a woman in FFVI. Do we really need more reasons?

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Colocho said:
Will get this, but I don't how I'll juggle this + P3P + VCII + MGS: PW.

Seriously, the PSP is fucking awesome.

I know how you feel, except MGS with Phantasy Star Portable 2 in my situation.

StuBurns

Banned
duckroll said:
He's a sexy man, he's the tallest, and he was a woman in FFVI. Do we really need more reasons?
So you have no argument really?

When you start the game, Vent is the character featured on the start menu, Vent is the first character you play as, Vent is implied to be the least experienced, Vent is described as being a 'middle ground' of the other two. I can't think of a single reason anyone would select other others outside of preferring the designs, or wanting to play as a girl, or thinking Vent might be too emo, etc.

I think the game strongly suggests the player play thru first time with Vent, and if the director wanted people to start off as Terra, the team should have done a far better job of communicating it.

duckroll

Jerk 2.0 said:
Terra was much more fun to play as.

I really dislike Ven's shorter reach and low damage.

I did too at first, but then when you mix his long range commands along with a bit of magic, it makes quite a difference very quickly. The play style of the characters are actually different enough that it's pretty commendable.

Reknoc

duckroll said:

Yea, well, he wears stupid pants which is fitting because he's a pretty stupid guy I'm surprised he can dress himself with all those straps. Maybe if he dressed like Terra in FFVI... Hm... Hmm... urgh...

Hm... mmm

Uh though I guess he is on the title screen.

duckroll

StuBurns said:

If you choose to ignore the undeniable facts I listed, sure. Terra is more of a man than you are, and you just can't deal with it deep inside. I understand, and it's really nothing to be ashamed of.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
StuBurns said:

When you start the game, Vent is the character featured on the start menu, Vent is the first character you play as, Vent is implied to be the least experienced, Vent is described as being a 'middle ground' of the other two. I can't think of a single reason anyone would select other others outside of preferring the designs, or wanting to play as a girl, or thinking Vent might be too emo, etc.

I think the game strongly suggests the player play thru first time with Vent, and if the director wanted people to start off as Terra, the team should have done a far better job of communicating it.

To be fair, on the character select screen the order goes Terra, Ventus, and Aqua.

That to me is a big hint what the main team wants you to play.

StuBurns

Banned
duckroll said:
If you choose to ignore the undeniable facts I listed, sure. Terra is more of a man than you are, and you just can't deal with it deep inside. I understand, and it's really nothing to be ashamed of.
If I could breakdown in tears and hug you right now, I would.

Diablos54

Well I finally finished Terra's story, although I missed one chest in Disney World which I spent almost an hour looking for :(. From what I've played so far, this is easily better than the rest of the KH series (Apart from maybe the first), the combat is so much better than it was in KH II, lots more to customise and just outright more fun. :D Time to start Ven's story next, I can see why Terra should have been done first after his ending, as
it doesn't say what happened to the other two. But do we find out what happened to Terra, like in the secret movie or something?

Peff

Diablos54 said:
Well I finally finished Terra's story, although I missed one chest in Disney World which I spent almost an hour looking for :(. From what I've played so far, this is easily better than the rest of the KH series (Apart from maybe the first), the combat is so much better than it was in KH II, lots more to customise and just outright more fun. :D Time to start Ven's story next, I can see why Terra should have been done first after his ending, as
it doesn't say what happened to the other two. But do we find out what happened to Terra, like in the secret movie or something?

Yeah, yes you do. Also, the chest you're missing is probably
the one in front of the roof when you exit the pinball machine. Just Air Dash there and get it.

duckroll

Diablos54 said:
Well I finally finished Terra's story, although I missed one chest in Disney World which I spent almost an hour looking for :(.

It might be on one of the roofs, which you can get to using air dash or something after going to the highest roof from the pinball machine. Or it might be on one of the sides of the pinball machine.

I've only sort of played through a portion of the first and second Kingdom Hearts games, how easy is it going to be to get into Birth By Sleep?

duckroll

jaundicejuice said:
I've only sort of played through a portion of the first and second Kingdom Hearts games, how easy is it going to be to get into Birth By Sleep?

You use the analog nub to move a character around, and you press triangle to make awesome shit happen. Really easy honestly. As far as the story goes, it'll make as much or as little sense regardless of what you're played before.

Diablos54

duckroll said:
It might be on one of the roofs, which you can get to using air dash or something after going to the highest roof from the pinball machine. Or it might be on one of the sides of the pinball machine.
I got both of those, I swear I looked everywhere like 3 times :lol, but oh well I'm sure it's nothing important.

Peff

Diablos54 said:
I got both of those, I swear I looked everywhere like 3 times :lol, but oh well I'm sure it's nothing important.

Hm... you do know there are two on the left side of the pinball, do you? That one is hidden by the camera angle pretty well.

duckroll

Diablos54 said:

Oh. I think I know which one you're missing. In the clockwork area, when you first step on the first gear which goes up and down, move the camera as it goes up, and there's a platform RIGHT next to it (which would normally be behind the camera) with a chest there.

Diablos54

duckroll said:
Oh. I think I know which one you're missing. In the clockwork area, when you first step on the first gear which goes up and down, move the camera as it goes up, and there's a platform RIGHT next to it (which would normally be behind the camera) with a chest there.
I can't remember this one, I'll have a look when I get back!

Top Bottom