• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It All Began With... Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep |OT|

Spiegel

It's pretty obvious that duckroll is messing with you guys to keep the postcount of this thread high.

And it's working :lol

duckroll

Spiegel said:
It's pretty obvious that duckroll is messing with you guys to keep the postcount of this thread high.

And it's working :lol

I'm not messing with anyone. They share my true feelings! You just don't understand...

Phenomic

So I feel like I'm doing something wrong. I'm on Proud difficultly and I'm still using my Keyblade from the start of the game. Is there a reason I haven't found one over 3 Strength? I'm at a point where I hit things and do next to no damage. I'm in
Deep Space
and Starting to really hinder my enjoyment of this game. Where do I find a good sword?

Jerk

Banned
Phenomic said:
So I feel like I'm doing something wrong. I'm on Proud difficultly and I'm still using my Keyblade from the start of the game. Is there a reason I haven't found one over 3 Strength? I'm at a point where I hit things and do next to no damage. I'm in
Deep Space
and Starting to really hinder my enjoyment of this game. Where do I find a good sword?

Your abilities and skills are the problem, not your sword.

Phenomic

Jerk 2.0 said:
Your abilities and skills are the problem, not your sword.

So.... Are you saying I suck at the game? Or are you saying I'm not using the right magic and combination of special moves? I mean once I can combo up and fill the meter I do decent enough and the damage isn't bad but normal swings are god awful. Just beat the place I mentioned though so at least that ones all done.

Aeana

I think that if I started with Ventus as suggested by some, I wouldn't have gotten very far in the game. I had a great time with Terra's scenario, but I am really struggling to maintain interest in Ven's with all of the fetch questy crap they're having me do.

And I still don't have Counter Hammer with him. :(

Jerk

Banned
Phenomic said:
So.... Are you saying I suck at the game? Or are you saying I'm not using the right magic and combination of special moves? I mean once I can combo up and fill the meter I do decent enough and the damage isn't bad but normal swings are god awful. Just beat the place I mentioned though so at least that ones all done.

I mean that you should be doing much more than simply swinging your sword.

Use your physical abilities/magic a lot more (they raise your meter much faster anyway).

duckroll

The regular attack should only be used to finish enemies off if they're near death, or if you used up all your commands and you're waiting for a recharge.

Phenomic

Hmm, alright thanks for the advice; I will start using more abilities more then. Funny though because I just got a 4 strength keyblade and it feels a lot better. :lol Despite few difficulties here and there though definitely my Favorite KH game so far, so many different systems that mix together so fluidly. Hope to see a battle system this nice for if and when we get Kh3.

Wow just fought another boss.. what a difference I just floored
Zack in the arena
given that I did them out of order but man what a turn around.

This game gives you too much to work with from the start. I find myself stumbling with the controls trying to pull off all these mechanics they give you right off the bat and it seems i'm getting even more stuff every 5 minutes.

Bebpo

Banned
Aeana said:
I think that if I started with Ventus as suggested by some, I wouldn't have gotten very far in the game. I had a great time with Terra's scenario, but I am really struggling to maintain interest in Ven's with all of the fetch questy crap they're having me do.

And I still don't have Counter Hammer with him. :(

I think a lot of it is the psychological aspect of going back to a weak character coming from a strong one after beating any one storyline.

I loved Ventus. He played so well and was crazy fast and strong. Then when I started as Terra I didn't care for his gameplay at all. He felt slow and clumsy. When I started as Aqua she felt incredibly weak and unfun. When I got both of them to about halfway and loaded with good attacks they became enjoyable, especially towards endgame with their best unique skills. But the start for the 2nd/3rd character feels off coming from a complete character build.

Aeana

Bebpo said:
I think a lot of it is the psychological aspect of going back to a weak character coming from a strong one after beating any one storyline.

I loved Ventus. He played so well and was crazy fast and strong. Then when I started as Terra I didn't care for his gameplay at all. He felt slow and clumsy. When I started as Aqua she felt incredibly weak and unfun. When I got both of them to about halfway and loaded with good attacks they became enjoyable, especially towards endgame with their best unique skills. But the start for the 2nd/3rd character feels off coming from a complete character build.
Well, part of it could be that. Going by conversations in this thread, it seems like I'm differing a lot from most people in that the absolute #1 most important aspect of the combat in this game for me is the counter. Without it, the combat feels pretty blah. I will probably start having more fun with Ven when I get it with him.

However, the fetch quest stuff (
find the dwarves, collect these things to make Cinderella's dress! etc.
) is really hampering the experience. I'm past that now, and it's becoming a bit more interesting... we'll see.

Volcynika

slkfdjkslf

One of the battles in
the Coliseum
annoys the hell out of me (Critical mode / Terra). Description:
These flying little things with spikes on them in the first set of battles post-meeting Hades. The round starts and suddenly I'm swarmed and then dead in no time at all!

D:

On the other hand, I'm really enjoying playing as Ven. Combat that is, the fetch quests are getting old, and all the running back and forth across Radiant Garden drove me nuts.
And no, I don't need 30 minutes of cutscenes about shitty Organization XIII characters. I'd rather they weren't around in BBS.

Volcynika said:
slkfdjkslf

One of the battles in
the Coliseum
These flying little things with spikes on them in the first set of battles post-meeting Hades. The round starts and suddenly I'm swarmed and then dead in no time at all!

D:

I had the EXACT same problem when I first tried it. I know the
Coliseum becomes available when two other places can be explored, right? I saved the Coliseum for last of the three new areas and leveled up a bit.
Anyway, try backing up and using a focus attack like Flame Salvo or that darkness projectile move. Then run in and slash the hell out of those dudes. Or you could use Zero Gravity and Magnet which I think are some of the best spells in the game.

I did end up finishing the game on Critical with Terra and I am now playing through Aqua. I got all treasures and stickers with Terra and about 142 of his commands. I do hate jumping from a super beefed character to a LV1 command-less one though. I was having a lot of trouble just damaging the enemies in Aqua's first world. Still though, I LOVE this game and while I haven't finished too many other entries in this series, I'd have to say this is easily becoming my favorite KH game and one of the best games Square has released in awhile (next to Nier) :D

Jerk

Banned
Volcynika said:
slkfdjkslf

One of the battles in
the Coliseum

D:

Zero Gravira/Graviga.

Best CC in the game.

I've finally hit the point where I'm frustrated by the controls

I'm running from a boss, and can't stop running or I will die, but I can't move the cursor to a D-Link or to Cura because that means I will stop running.

So I have to stretch my right thumb over the screen while I move around in order to scroll down

This is not the most elegant solution

Kuran

Banned
I guess I can't get over Square's character designs to really get into this. Shame though, it looks beautiful.

Aeana

Really missing Wayne Allwine after a particular scene in Ven's story. Whoever they've got doing Mickey now just doesn't sound quite right. :(

ShockingAlberto said:

I'm running from a boss, and can't stop running or I will die, but I can't move the cursor to a D-Link or to Cura because that means I will stop running.

So I have to stretch my right thumb over the screen while I move around in order to scroll down

Not much of a fan either. Would work really well with R2/L2 instead of the dpad.

Aeana said:
Really missing Wayne Allwine after a particular scene in Ven's story. Whoever they've got doing Mickey now just doesn't sound quite right. :(

Was just thinking that too :(. I was recently at Disney World and it was neat to see the newish parade with Wayne Allwine's voice. Probably one of the later things he did.

Peff

ShockingAlberto said:

You can set a certain command to the left button, which is easy to reach by stretching the thumb a little. Not perfect, but better than nothing, I guess.

Reknoc

Well
Eraqus
kept kicking my ass so I decided to give him a break and went back to all the previous planets and get the stickers and treasures I was missing, did it but now I have a serious case of PSP thumb.

Phenomic

Reknoc said:
Well
Eraqus
kept kicking my ass so I decided to give him a break and went back to all the previous planets and get the stickers and treasures I was missing, did it but now I have a serious case of PSP thumb.

This is happening to me right now as well. I want to beat him but I want to do it where it's not a complete joke by having like 9 cure spells on my bar :lol One wrong move and you're done for.

Jerk

Banned
Volcynika said:
I have Zero Gravira but as soon as I start the fight its like "fuck you die!" :lol

It should be the first thing you do during the fight.

Second thing should be firing-off elemental spells so you enter one of your styles (preferably the thunder one).

MemoirsofMimi

Neo Member
I forgot to mention that the limited edition version of Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep includes an artbook and some other goodies, and is just a few dollars more than the ordinary version.

I am willing to ship people a copy for $50 flat. Shipping is fast, too.

PM if interested.

Darkky

I played Ventus -> Terra and now I have quite a bit of trouble tying up the plotlines together. The time differences seem so awkward!

Jigsaw

Banned
sorry if this was asked before,i think i'm right at the end of ven's story,is it possible to get 100% treasures and stickers in every world with him before i finish the story?or are some chests/stickers only available for the other characters?

i want to know before i search for hours in every corner of the worlds

Jerk

Banned
Jigsaw said:
sorry if this was asked before,i think i'm right at the end of ven's story,is it possible to get 100% treasures and stickers in every world with him before i finish the story?or are some chests/stickers only available for the other characters?

i want to know before i search for hours in every corner of the worlds

The % is for the character whose story you are currently doing.

Darkky said:
I played Ventus -> Terra and now I have quite a bit of trouble tying up the plotlines together. The time differences seem so awkward!
It's a good thing there's a timeline in the Trinity Menu.

CryptiK

There was an argument on the last page about why you would/wouldnt choose Terra first... I choose him cause he was on the top simple answer and I will work my way down. Plus playing Terra left some interesting cliffhangers.

It honestly doesn't matter if you choose Terra or Ventus first. They're both doing their own thing during the game.

But Aqua should always be last
since she closes the book for everyone's story

Jerk

Banned
Zierath said:
With anyone really. I'm just wondering if there is anything that can help with that fight beyond fire/thunder surge and dodging a ton.

Abusing your shotlock ability.

Also remember that on bosses, each single hit does not do more than 25 damage, so multi-hit shotlocks are the best against them.

Zierath

Jerk 2.0 said:
Abusing your shotlock ability.

Also remember that on bosses, each single hit does not do more than 25 damage, so multi-hit shotlocks are the best against them.

Haven't had much luck with those actually connecting but I'll give it another try, thanks.

entremet

Anyone having issues with receiving the "Do you want to quit this game" message at random intervals? It's the same message you get when you press the HOME button.

Some quick research mentioned that it may be busted laser, however, I tested my other UMDs at length and I didn't have any problems. I did the biggest install.

Any suggestions as to how to get other finish commands with Terra or in general? I have Surprise 2 already but I notice a few others with exp on them. I assume I have to use a variety of finishers on my foes such as much or different moves?

DarkPanda

Does anyone here know for certain what needs to be done to unlock the secret movie at the end of the game? I've looked all over the internet and haven't found a definitive answer for my particular situation, though I don't like the sound of what I have found out. I'm hoping someone here can clarify things for me.

I started off playing the game as Terra in Standard mode, figuring that since getting 100% completion in KH2 wasn't that bad, I would just do it again in this game. Then I find out exactly what's required and start to have second thoughts, but think it'd still be ok for just one character. Then I find out that even if I do the other 2 characters in Proud mode, the game still sets the unlock requirements to whatever the lowest difficulty was, implying that if I do Terra in Standard and then Ventus and Aqua in Proud, I would still need to get 100% completion for all three characters in order to get the secret movie. Is this right? If so I'm just going to start a new game, because there's no way in hell I'm doing everything 3x over, but I'm going to be royally pissed at having to throw away 20+ hours of game time to avoid getting the bad ending.

eXistor

So, if I liked the concept for Kingdom Hearts I & II, but hated the story, characters and gameplay, could I enjoy this? I love me some action rpg's, but so far KH has never delivered imo. Is this more of the same, or is this something else?

Peff

Then I find out that even if I do the other 2 characters in Proud mode, the game still sets the unlock requirements to whatever the lowest difficulty was, implying that if I do Terra in Standard and then Ventus and Aqua in Proud, I would still need to get 100% completion for all three characters in order to get the secret movie. Is this right?

The moment you choose Standard with one of the characters, you will have to finish the Trinity Report for the Secret Ending to unlock. That means you have to completely 100% the game, yes. However, I'm positive that if you replay whatever story you played on Standard and choose Proud or Critical, it counts towards the easy requirements.

duckroll

Peff said:
The moment you choose Standard with one of the characters, you will have to finish the Trinity Report for the Secret Ending to unlock. That means you have to completely 100% the game, yes. However, I'm positive that if you replay whatever story you played on Standard and choose Proud or Critical, it counts towards the easy requirements.

Yes, beating the game with all characters on Proud will unlock the secret ending.

Top Bottom