• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It All Began With... Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep |OT|

DarkPanda

Peff said:
The moment you choose Standard with one of the characters, you will have to finish the Trinity Report for the Secret Ending to unlock. That means you have to completely 100% the game, yes. However, I'm positive that if you replay whatever story you played on Standard and choose Proud or Critical, it counts towards the easy requirements.

Alright, thanks. Guess I'll just have to deal with starting over then. Sigh. On the upside, this game does have the best battle system out of all the KH games. I don't know what possessed them to make you do menu navigation during real-time battles in the previous games, but I'm so glad they went with something more appropriate for an action-RPG for this game.

Seda

I've beaten the game with Terra and Ventus (Proud Mode), both around level 35 at the end. I haven't really put much effort into meld commands or in the mirage arena, but I have improved many of my d-links (Aqua's and
Zack
's are awesome). Once I beat the 3 storylines I will worry about getting more commands and leveling up to ultimately beat the secret boss.

The only boss that's given me real trouble is Terra's final boss
Xehanort controlled Terra
. You can't use d-links in the battle!. I know the secret boss (and mirage arena bosses) will give me a lot more trouble, though.

The end of Ventus' story is awesome. I still have questions about Ventus' origins though, but I'll wait to ask once I finish the game. Ventus's Cyclone and Windblade command styles are great too.

Also, the voice acting overall is exactly on par with other KH games, imo. Mostly good with some awkward lines here and there. When you have proper in-game music, the lines sound much better than they do in the trailers.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
It seems like every year I try to give the KH series another spin, but rarely get passed the second or third world of KH1 before getting bored and moving on.

Well, since I won't play the rest of the series out of order, I think it's time to give it another shot today. Wish me luck!

CryptiK

Mejilan said:
It seems like every year I try to give the KH series another spin, but rarely get passed the second or third world of KH1 before getting bored and moving on.

Well, since I won't play the rest of the series out of order, I think it's time to give it another shot today. Wish me luck!
KHBBS is a Prequel to KH1 therefore if you play KH BBS first you're playing it in order.

God, I can't believe how much fun this game is. I've enjoyed previous KH games but never to this extent, all the little tweaks to the combat just work so well together.

I think I'm getting close to finishing Terra's story will I be able to go back for missing chests, stickers and things at a later date?

Kingsora

Would rather have no penis than have to show his to a medical professional
Die Squirrel Die said:
God, I can't believe how much fun this game is. I've enjoyed previous KH games but never to this extent, all the little tweaks to the combat just work so well together.

I think I'm getting close to finishing Terra's story will I be able to go back for missing chests, stickers and things at a later date?
Yep

Mejilan

CryptiK said:
KHBBS is a Prequel to KH1 therefore if you play KH BBS first you're playing it in order.
That's like saying that Baten Kaitos Origins is a prequel to the first BK, and so should be played first. Yet BKO was written in such a way that the biggest pay offs were for those that played the original first, to say nothing of the gameplay improvements made from BK->BKO, that could potentially make playing them in reverse order less than ideal.

There's a marked difference between playing a game and it's sequel in reverse order, and playing a game and it's prequel in the intended order.

No, I'll play them in their intended order. If nothing else, it should make struggling with the overarching stories at least a bit less of a chore. :)

entremet

Mejilan said:
That's like saying that Baten Kaitos Origins is a prequel to the first BK, and so should be played first. Yet BKO was written in such a way that the biggest pay offs were for those that played the original first, to say nothing of the gameplay improvements made from BK->BKO, that could potentially make playing them in reverse order less than ideal.

There's a marked difference between playing a game and it's sequel in reverse order, and playing a game and it's prequel in the intended order.

No, I'll play them in their intended order. If nothing else, it should make struggling with the overarching stories at least a bit less of a chore. :)
KH1 is horribly dated. You'll do yourself a favor by skipping that one. This is games not masochism. If you don't enjoy a game, why force your to play for it completionist sake?

Aeana

Finished Ven's story. Just Aqua's left.
Ven's got better a few worlds in, but I still didn't have nearly as much fun with him as I did with Terra. Hoping Aqua is more fun.

DarkKyo

I'm loving this game and I am amazed at how much content there is. I'm only 3/4 through Terra's story and he's my first. Saving Aqua for last... I hope she is as cool and fun to use as I am counting on!

Mejilan

entrement said:
KH1 is horribly dated. You'll do yourself a favor by skipping that one. This is games not masochism. If you don't enjoy a game, why force your to play for it completionist sake?

This'll probably be my last real attempt to plow through KH1.

Mejilan said:
This'll probably be my last real attempt to plow through KH1.

Yeah I never did finish it, got to the final boss and said fuck it because I didn't feel like grinding to beat him.

OT:
Holy shit this game is amazing. Finishing up with Terra now, and his story about
falling to darkness in his heart. Really enjoying his story.
Excited to go through as Ventus soon.

xKilltheMx said:
Yeah I never did finish it, got to the final boss and said fuck it because I didn't feel like grinding to beat him.

OT:
Holy shit this game is amazing. Finishing up with Terra now, and his story about *Possible spoiler*
falling to darkness in his heart. Really enjoying his story.
*end Possible Spoilers* Excited to go through as Ventus soon.

Why don't you just use spoiler tags?

(Sorry for the dp)

About 4 hours into Terra's story. The pacing seems to be the best in the series by far. 1 and 2 got pretty tedious with how long you were in some of the worlds but that never happens here since the worlds are so short. I'm sure it'll be different later but so far, things move at a great pace.

I'm enjoying the story enough. Right now, I want to know how things get to the point when the intro takes place and the information is coming in nicely. The plot is also moving at a better pace than the rest of the series. I'm definitely curious to see how Terra continues to be a dumb shit.

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
I just finished with Aqua in Proud Mode too. Vanitas can be annoying with his digging. :lol

I must have like 10 hrs with Aqua, dunno why but Aqua was harder to start the game than Terra, Terra felt like the difficulty was going up properly. With Aqua it felt more like I had to be in level 5 to fight the enemies on my first world, it was kinda insane. :lol

Not to mention that her "catwheel" sucks.

Now to do Ventus.

Hey guys, but is it me or D-Links are really useless?? I RARELY use them, I killed most enemies with Zero Graviga + Thundaga, that combination help me a lot during all the game (except with bosses obviously).

In Terra case I used the Meteor move he has, the ones with lots of little lights + Focus Guard. That made most of the bosses easy. Aqua was the same, but I used her Bubbles one, also it was faster to reach max and did more damage than the Meteor one.

Well just giving tips here, dunno if this is considerate spoilers or not. In the end I enjoyed Terra more than Aqua, now I will do Ven to see how fun it is. BTW the story is awesome, best KH game so far.

Kingsora

Would rather have no penis than have to show his to a medical professional
Jigsaw said:
if you play terra first you spoil yourself about vanitas,i'm glad i started with ven
But gameplay wise isn't Terra frustratingly slow after playing with ventus?

DualShadow said:
Why don't you just use spoiler tags?

(Sorry for the dp)

I was lazy lol

I went for the final boss battle at LvL 32 but failed at the final final final boss. I see everybody else finished around that same level, so I decided to grind and meld commands so when I fight him again i wipe the floor with him, as well as check out all the new moves. Im up to 24 Hrs (was at 15 when I fought him the first time) so command board, arena mode and melding have taken a hold on me.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Aeana said:
I think that if I started with Ventus as suggested by some, I wouldn't have gotten very far in the game. I had a great time with Terra's scenario, but I am really struggling to maintain interest in Ven's with all of the fetch questy crap they're having me do.

And I still don't have Counter Hammer with him. :(
To me it's the opposite, I started with Ven and now I'm not having as much fun with Terra (I stopped at Colosseum yesterday). The game is still incredibly fun, addictive and I already feel it's the best KH ever, but I guess at the second character you play the "samey" feeling starts kicking in since we know a lot of what's going to happen and already visited all the worlds (even considering the different areas). Losing all the commands you acquired and melded probably also has a weight in it.

(Ven's counter move is better than Terra's, imo.)

Jigsaw said:
if you play terra first you spoil yourself about vanitas,i'm glad i started with ven
That too.

-DarKaoZ- said:
Hey guys, but is it me or D-Links are really useless?? I RARELY use them, I killed most enemies with Zero Graviga + Thundaga, that combination help me a lot during all the game (except with bosses obviously).
I feel they're useful near the start of each campaign but after I meld powerful moves that floor anything the D-Links provide at their max levels I just stop activating them (unless it's a new one and I want to play around with it until I get the upgrades).

duckroll

D-Links are useful for desperation situations. I generally like to have a D-Link which complements my current deck (with stuff which I don't have in my deck but could be useful) for boss battles, so if it goes bad and all my skills are charging, I can go into the D-Link and immediately heal and use some attacks immediately.

Fuu

The boss fight where I felt the need for that the most had the D-Linking locked. :lol
(First part of the final boss Vanitas fight in Ven's path.)
Edit: I'm not 100% sure if it's really locked in that fight but I recall being annoyed that it was.

But you're right, for bosses they're always a plus.

Peff

Also, the abilities you get when the D-Links level up are quite useful: 2x CP, 2x EXP, auto-revive, double attack, longer Focus gauge... too bad the D-link commands are not that good after a while.

It'd be nice if there were an 'ultimate' D-Link you could pick up via a sidequest, though Zack is pretty goddamn powerful as an all-out attacker at least.

God, this game has me.

Fuu

BbS really has the best interactions with Disney Worlds. I like how it's not "don't get involved in their affairs" anymore but just "don't tell them about other worlds", it makes for more interesting plot setups. It's not like the rule mattered much in the other games but still.

Ugh, I wish I could be playing right now (at work = back to gaf, lol). It's been a while since I stopped playing a game because I needed to sleep instead of stopping because I got bored.

I'm enamored with the ability that gives you 1xp with each step you take. I got it accidentaly from melding early into Ven's game, it's just so good to know you're ranking in the points just by walking through those huge empty spaces.

On final bosses strategies, (Ven's)
Vanitas second form
goes down real quick with the Salvation command as he conveniently comes closer when you unleash it.

I'm sure there's a list with all the different scenes out there (not that I'm checking any of the spoiler filled KH sites for now) but I was looking at one of the Dwarf Woodlands cutscenes from the Japanese version on youtube and thought this change was funny:

http://i55.tinypic.com/2yyqufb.jpg

To:
http://i51.tinypic.com/2rgdwjq.jpg

2gvv9qq.gif

I love her accomplished face. :lol

Peff said:
Also, the abilities you get when the D-Links level up are quite useful: 2x CP, 2x EXP, auto-revive, double attack, longer Focus gauge... too bad the D-link commands are not that good after a while.
I'll be honest that I've never paid much attention to those abilities beyond a "cool, auto block". It's like you said, the moves are just underwhelming to use after a while. Those 2x ones will be good for when I'm maxing out everything though.

Mejilan

xKilltheMx said:
Well, I manage to clear the early Destiny Islands, Traverse Town, and Colosseum areas last night. Not a terrible start. And yes, I grinded for levels in order to skip Wonderland, which I really fucking hated the past few times I tried starting over. I now should be quite strong enough to breeze right through it tonight.
Hmmm. I wonder if anyone whipped up cheat codes to skip the Gummy Ship segments...

Mejilan said:
Well, I manage to clear the early Destiny Islands, Traverse Town, and Colosseum areas last night. Not a terrible start. And yes, I grinded for levels in order to skip Wonderland, which I really fucking hated the past few times I tried starting over. I now should be quite strong enough to breeze right through it tonight.
Hmmm. I wonder if anyone whipped up cheat codes to skip the Gummy Ship segments...
Basically just do what you need to do in order to clear the Tarzan world because once you get the Cure spell you'll find the game less frustrating (AND because you get the Warp Gummi at that point, which allows you to warp to any world you've already flown to before). Basically every part of the game will get a LOT better all at once.

Mejilan

I think the farthest I've ever gotten was Monstro. At least, it's the last thing I actually remember. I think I'll start up 368/2 Days for my commutes, and focus on KH and KH2 at home. Still trying to decide if I want to include Re:CoM. I got through most of the GBA version. We'll see how I feel after clearing the two core console games. BbS will definitely be the last, though.

Fuu

Mejilan said:
I think the farthest I've ever gotten was Monstro. At least, it's the last thing I actually remember. I think I'll start up 368/2 Days for my commutes, and focus on KH and KH2 at home. Still trying to decide if I want to include Re:CoM. I got through most of the GBA version. We'll see how I feel after clearing the two core console games. BbS will definitely be the last, though.
Won't you get burned on the series again if you plow through them all like this though? If you get easily bored with KH games after 2 or 3 worlds I can't see 358/2 being a good choice while you're already playing the main games.

Mejilan said:
358/2 Days is easily the worst KH game that I've played. BBS got it right - brief visits to each world and a good feeling of progress, with optional revisiting to clean things up (and things still feel very fleshed out because each world plays quite differently with each character). 358/2 Days, on the other hand, has you keep revisiting each world again and again as canned/cloned 'missions' that all start to feel the same. Part of that is because of budgetary restrictions, I'm sure, but it ends up feeling tremendously unfun and that aspect of its design is diametrically opposed to the way Birth by Sleep handles it.

Also, 358/2 Days will make NO fucking sense if you haven't already played KH1, Chain of Memories, and KH2. Hell, even if you have played them, it won't make that much sense; this is Kingdom Hearts after all (forget it, Jake, it's Chinatown).

Honestly, just because it's not particularly fun, and because the story will be thoroughly unrewarding and nonsensical to you if you haven't played KH1/2/CoM, just recognize that it's sort of a fanservice game that you should hold off on unless you know for sure whether you want to play it or not.

Re:CoM is pretty fun and well designed so I'd say give it a go.

Mejilan

I have a magically near-infinite amount of patience when it comesmto portable RPGs and the like. Perhaps I'll hold off on the DS game then, at least until I get somewhere in KH2.

Seda

Almost done with Aqua's story. Fighting
Vanitas
on NeverLand was kind of tough. I love the
Vanitas
battle musics.

Diablos54

Do you have to get every single Ice Cream to pass this damn minigame in Disney Town with Ven? It's really beginning to piss me off. :|

Edit: And then I manage to do it right after, not missing a single one. :lol

Seda

Diablos54 said:
Do you have to get every single Ice Cream to pass this damn minigame in Disney Town with Ven? It's really beginning to piss me off. :|

Edit: And then I manage to do it right after, not missing a single one. :lol

I found Fruitball to be far more annoying

So I just beat the last episode and watched the Secret Ending. Love the game on the whole, thoughts on the story (BIG SPOILERS):

Eraqus was a moron, trying to murder Ven instead of teaming up with the trio to conquer the man who he knew was the true mastermind.

Though Ventus was probably my favourite to play as, Aqua was by far my favourite character.

I'm a bit annoyed that the last battles felt a bit futile - Ven fights with all his heart to beat Vanitas, but he wins anyway. Same with Terra and Xehanort.

I thought the game was going to cover the incident that created the Heartless and the Nobodies. I never liked Organisation XIII, but it seems like an important part of the plot. I can't believe the overall lack of Ansem the Wise (I also noticed that they couldn't get Christopher Lee again).

So, guess we're gearing up for KH3. Though next up is Re:Coded...

Blocking is really fucking annoying. Especially since now that I'm playing Aqua and had to fight the first boss which requires you to block. So much fucking delay between pressing the button and the animation starting to when you actually block.

I think I've discovered why I love the combat in this game so much compared to the others. I'm never discouraged from using everything I have available. In KH 1 and 2, I'd have to awkwardly scroll through the magic list and once I used it, it'd take up a chunk of MP which I'd have to refill with potions or wait until I defeat enemies. Here, all my abilities recharge rather quickly. It's very user friendly.

In KH2, I'd only use the various forms in boss battles because it'd be a waste on normal enemies and then would take forever to build it back up again needing specific objectives to do so (or was that just to raise levels?). I'm 10 hours in on my first playthrough and I've only just cleared
Radiant Garden
. I love going back to locations to fight the common enemies to try out and level up all of my abilities. I always found that to be a chore in the other titles.

Aeana

ExtraKr1spy said:
Blocking is really fucking annoying. Especially since now that I'm playing Aqua and had to fight the first boss which requires you to block. So much fucking delay between pressing the button and the animation starting to when you actually block.
It takes some getting used to, but it's not too bad once you do. I rely really heavily on the counter ability in the game, so I'm blocking all the time. It's my favorite feature. :eek:

MoonsaultSlayer said:
I think I've discovered why I love the combat in this game so much compared to the others. I'm never discouraged from using everything I have available. In KH 1 and 2, I'd have to awkwardly scroll through the magic list and once I used it, it'd take up a chunk of MP which I'd have to refill with potions or wait until I defeat enemies. Here, all my abilities recharge rather quickly. It's very user friendly.

Nail on the head. There's no tedium to trying out all the different abilities and you can fire them off so quickly with little faffing about.

Aeana

Jerk 2.0 said:
I rarely ever purposefully block.

I blame DMC and Bayonetta.
I block in any game that makes it worthwhile to do so (like block issens in Onimusha, omg so good). In Bayonetta, I use the Moon of Malaa-Kalaa accessory instead. I do remember using the just guard/release thing in DMC3 a lot, though.

Jerk

Banned
Die Squirrel Die said:
Nail on the head. There's no tedium to trying out all the different abilities and you can fire them off so quickly with little faffing about.

Yeah.

It is a feature from COM that I am glad they lifted.

I haven't spent a ton of time blocking, but there have definitely been certain boss fights where I've found blocking and countering to be particularly useful. They're definitely good abilities to have in certain situations.

Top Bottom