• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It All Began With... Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep |OT|

Rez said:
I played KH1 and enjoyed it, and that's it.

Worth taking a look at this?

Yes.

It's a much better game.

Urban Scholar said:
Having issues as Aqua with Vanitas in Neverland; should I really take my time getting much more commands & some experience? Still wondering how some people managed to beat certain stories in half the time if not less on critical.

Did you equip all her action commands. She has one where she teleports behind an opponent if you press square at the last second before an attack.

ShockingAlberto said:
Lrn2glide

Or block/counter and Twisted Hours.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Weird, Hook was the easiest boss in the entire game to me, I wonder if I was overleveled. Aside from him throwing the same old bombs and sometimes falling into the water to be damaged by the croc I can't even remember anything noteworthy about the fight.

So just beat the game, with the secret ending and as per usual at the end of KH games, I have a shit ton of questions.

1. It has been mentioned before that Xehanort retained no real memories from Terra or Master Xehanort. Why is it then that Xemnas remembers Aqua when he visits the Room of Sleep?

2. Interesting that the reason Xemnas puts an X into each of the nobodies names because of Master Xehanort's fascination with the X-Blade.

3. So before dying, Ventus puts his heart, so to speak, into Sora. Is this why Sora is the wielder of the Keyblade? And the power that Terra gave to Riku, was that darkness?

4. I didn't quite understand why, during the scene in Radiant Garden where Ansem the Wise is leading Zexion past Apprentice Xehanort and Braig, he turns around. I mean I guess in effect he is able to sense the darkness in Xehanort but its isn't as if this was ever a deterrent. He happily assisted the other Apprentices in betraying Ansem the Wise.

5. Do we know EXACTLY how Radiant Garden was destroyed? The destruction didn't kill The Apprentices, they choose control of the heartless and became nobodies by their own accord but I have to wonder at what point it went from Radiant Garden to Hollow Bastion in KH I to Hollow Bastion in KH II.

6. So Ventus is sleeping in The Room of Repose. Is he STILL there? Xemnas never found the room in Castle Oblivion though its hinted that he knew it was there....somewhere.

7. I'm assuming that when we see Ventus and Terra at The Land of Departure this is...what, heaven? Or is it, more likely, what Ven is dreaming of?

8. Interesting to note that Ansem The Wise isn't dead nor Aqua. When the keyblades saved her in the Realm of Darkness I wonder what brought them about.

9. Do they ever explain specifically what it is Axel and Saix plan to do when they go to Ansem's Castle?

10. I'm also assuming that when it says Reconnect: Kingdom Hearts at the end, its a reference to Coded?

Hmmm.

Good Times.

TheChillyAcademic said:
So just beat the game, with the secret ending and as per usual at the end of KH games, I have a shit ton of questions.

1. It has been mentioned before that Xehanort retained no real memories from Terra or Master Xehanort. Why is it then that Xemnas remembers Aqua when he visits the Room of Sleep?

2. Interesting that the reason Xemnas puts an X into each of the nobodies names because of Master Xehanort's fascination with the X-Blade.

3. So before dying, Ventus puts his heart, so to speak, into Sora. Is this why Sora is the wielder of the Keyblade? And the power that Terra gave to Riku, was that darkness?

4. I didn't quite understand why, during the scene in Radiant Garden where Ansem the Wise is leading Zexion past Apprentice Xehanort and Braig, he turns around. I mean I guess in effect he is able to sense the darkness in Xehanort but its isn't as if this was ever a deterrent. He happily assisted the other Apprentices in betraying Ansem the Wise.

5. Do we know EXACTLY how Radiant Garden was destroyed? The destruction didn't kill The Apprentices, they choose control of the heartless and became nobodies by their own accord but I have to wonder at what point it went from Radiant Garden to Hollow Bastion in KH I to Hollow Bastion in KH II.

6. So Ventus is sleeping in The Room of Repose. Is he STILL there? Xemnas never found the room in Castle Oblivion though its hinted that he knew it was there....somewhere.

7. I'm assuming that when we see Ventus and Terra at The Land of Departure this is...what, heaven? Or is it, more likely, what Ven is dreaming of?

8. Interesting to note that Ansem The Wise isn't dead nor Aqua. When the keyblades saved her in the Realm of Darkness I wonder what brought them about.

9. Do they ever explain specifically what it is Axel and Saix plan to do when they go to Ansem's Castle?

10. I'm also assuming that when it says Reconnect: Kingdom Hearts at the end, its a reference to Coded?

Hmmm.

Good Times.

I thought I had seen the secret ending video but I don't recall 1 or 2?

For 3, thats what I assumed since
None of the other 3 gave him the power like Terra did to Riku, so i guess since Ven had the power it transferred to Sora?

6 and 7 i would like to know as well.

For 8 i thought they were
Ven and Terra's keyblades so I assume it was the power of friendship and all that stuff :lol that saved Aqua.

Kinda messy response sorry.

TheChillyAcademic said:

3. And the power that Terra gave to Riku, was that darkness?

Hmmm.

Good Times.

1) He remembered eventually, the end.

3) No, he gave Riku the ability to use a Keyblade, just like Aqua accidentally did to Kairi.

6) Yeah, Ven is still there.

TheChillyAcademic said:
Oh and..

Who the HELL is the mysterious Figure?

The only thing we know is that it involves
time travel.

Yes, one of the most convoluted stories in VG history is about to add time travel.

Pureauthor said:
After playing through CoM another time:

Nobodies being 'emotionless' is the biggest load of bullcrockery ever.

Well, it was kind of obvious with Kingdom Hearts 2. Axel clearly had emotions as he was very close to Roxas.

To be fair, Ansem does make an apology sort of to Roxas. I think Ansem realized by the end that Nobodies do have emotions. After all, they exist only because of the strength of their hearts when their original bodies were turned into heartless.

Hmm, the impression I got was that they act based upon how they remembered themselves. They don't "feel" something, so much as remembering how they'd act before.

There were also the scenes in 358/2 that happened after the events of CoM. I think Roxas was the only one really distressed about what happened: the others simply took it in stride, with the most emotion coming from Demyx, who was just annoyed because it meant more work for him.

SpeedySwaf said:
Hmm, the impression I got was that they act based upon how they remembered themselves. They don't "feel" something, so much as remembering how they'd act before.

They certainly felt fear and sadness as showcased by some of their deaths. Aside from Xemnas, I don't think any of them were truly emotionless. Some were cruel yes. However, you can still have emotions even if you're personality is abrasive to say the least. Moreover, for most of the members, I think being complete again was the larger more important goal. So, they took the losses in stride as they continued on with their plans.

Pureauthor said:
After playing through CoM another time:

Nobodies being 'emotionless' is the biggest load of bullcrockery ever.

The Organization Nobodies were special, specifically because they were able to retain their human form as well as their memories from life in Radiant Garden. Of course, not all of the Organization members are from Radiant Garden but I'm certain, sadly, we'll never know their true stories.

DualShadow said:
I thought I had seen the secret ending video but I don't recall 1 or 2?

For 3, thats what I assumed since
None of the other 3 gave him the power like Terra did to Riku, so i guess since Ven had the power it transferred to Sora?

6 and 7 i would like to know as well.

For 8 i thought they were
Ven and Terra's keyblades so I assume it was the power of friendship and all that stuff :lol that saved Aqua.

Kinda messy response sorry.

Well...

1. Its made reference in game and in the BBS Ultimania that Apprentice Xehanort wakes up without either Terra or Master Xehanort's memories. Supposedly he retains some of their personality traits (none of which include being able to wield a keyblade) as well as MX's intelligence.

Thinking about my own question now...when speaking to Zexion in Hollow Bastion (or is it The Castle that Never Was?) Xigbar mentions that Apprentice Xehonart and later Xemnas goes to the Room of Awakening from time to time and talks to himself. We all know now he's actually speaking (rhetorically or otherwise) to Aqua's armor and ME's keyblade. However its mentioned that when on the throne he is able to slowly regain the memories of both Terra and MX...interesting.

I also have to wonder where the hell Terra and MX are now that:

Apprentice Xehanort is dead
Xemnas is "dead"
Ansem is mostly dead.

There is no physical body for them to inhabit though I suppose they may be living deep within the heart of hearts.

Fimbulvetr said:
1) He remembered eventually, the end.

3) No, he gave Riku the ability to use a Keyblade, just like Aqua accidentally did to Kairi.

6) Yeah, Ven is still there.

I have to wonder why Dark Riku looks so similar to Vanitas though.

mugurumakensei said:
They certainly felt fear and sadness as showcased by some of their deaths. Aside from Xemnas, I don't think any of them were truly emotionless. Some were cruel yes. However, you can still have emotions even if you're personality is abrasive to say the least. Moreover, for most of the members, I think being complete again was the larger more important goal. So, they took the losses in stride as they continued on with their plans.

While I agree with most of what you said, I'd have to disagree to a certain extent. The Apprentices knew what they were doing when they explored darkness in their experiments as well as willingly gave their bodies up to become nobodies. While I know that they eventually wanted their bodies back, I don't think that was the overall goal, especially those Org. Members who had nothing to do with Ansem the Wise and Master Xehanort.

I wonder if they'll end up bringing back the 'normal' versions of all of Organization XIII. Certainly I'd suspect
Braig and Lea
might return, at the very least. Obviously
Xehanort is likely restored in some form since his Heartless and Nobody have both been destroyed, although it's possible in theory that he's been re-split into Terra and Master Xehanort already
and it's pretty clear that
Roxas probably isn't coming back so much as Ven's heart will be returned to his body
. But what about the rest? I mean, for the love of god, never ever bring the human version of Demyx back, ever.

TheChillyAcademic said:
I also have to wonder where the hell Terra and MX are now that:

Apprentice Xehanort is dead
Xemnas is "dead"
Ansem is mostly dead.

There is no physical body for them to inhabit though I suppose they may be living deep within the heart of hearts.

Pretty sure Nomura said that when both a nobody and heartless are "killed" eventually they will return as a whole being.

TheChillyAcademic said:
I have to wonder why Dark Riku looks so similar to Vanitas though.

It's just armor.... and fanservice.

badcrumble said:
I wonder if they'll end up bringing back the 'normal' versions of all of Organization XIII. Certainly I'd suspect
Braig and Lea
might return, at the very least. Obviously
Xehanort is likely restored in some form since his Heartless and Nobody have both been destroyed, although it's possible in theory that he's been re-split into Terra and Master Xehanort already
and it's pretty clear that
Roxas probably isn't coming back so much as Ven's heart will be returned to his body
. But what about the rest? I mean, for the love of god, never ever bring the human version of Demyx back, ever.

Well...the Nobodies
are dead so...

Fimbulvetr said:
Pretty sure Nomura said that when both a nobody and heartless are "killed" eventually they will return as a whole being.

What? The body is destroyed and without a heart, so its a heartless. The Nobody is destroyed and there isn't anything left. If that was the case the Org. Members could just kill themselves to start to restore their beings.

No, Nomura said the specific order is that the Heartless must be destroyed so their Heart goes to Kingdom Hearts, and then the Nobody destroyed so whatever is leftover 'may' meet up on the way (read: everyone is coming back except the ones the fans don't like) and be reborn.

Pureauthor said:
No, Nomura said the specific order is that the Heartless must be destroyed so their Heart goes to Kingdom Hearts, and then the Nobody destroyed so whatever is leftover 'may' meet up on the way (read: everyone is coming back except the ones the fans don't like) and be reborn.

Has there been a case of this happening in the story outside of Kairi and Sora? So the Organization XIII members are going to be reborn? lol

TheChillyAcademic said:
What? The body is destroyed and without a heart, so its a heartless. The Nobody is destroyed and there isn't anything left. If that was the case the Org. Members could just kill themselves to start to restore their beings.

Nobodies can't die because they technically were never alive in the first place. They just fade back between light and dark.

Peff

TheChillyAcademic said:
Has there been a case of this happening in the story outside of Kairi and Sora? So the Organization XIII members are going to be reborn? lol

No, it hasn't, I think, but Nomura is openly stating that the villain in KH3 will be Xehanort for the last time and BBS introduced a future "twist" for Xigbar that we have yet to see, so yeah, some of them will probably be back.

TheChillyAcademic said:
Basically Nomura's giving himself an opening to further fanservice if need be. Birth By Sleep strongly suggests that he's getting more and more interested in populating the Kingdom Hearts games with a sort of semi-permanent Kingdom Hearts cast, and less and less interested in substituting for that with borrowed Final Fantasy characters.
Peff said:
No, it hasn't, I think, but Nomura is openly stating that the villain in KH3 will be Xehanort for the last time and BBS introduced a future "twist" for Xigbar that we have yet to see, so yeah, some of them will probably be back.
Well, regarding Braig,
he may or may not be Master Xehanort's other 'backup plan,' but it sure as hell seems like Master Xehanort promised him that he'd make him a Keyblade wielder

Well we know KH3 or whatever the hell variant Nomura decides to call it, will end The Xehonart Saga once and for all. While its all too clear that Axel will be back, I too would love to see some of the other members return as well.

EVEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Peff said:

What, Braig's
eyes? Its obvious he must be MX other contingency plan.

Jeels

Alright, eight hours in on Terra. Fighting
that boss in Radiant Garden where Aqua and Ven are fighting alongside you.

Edit: I have more comments to make accidentally hit submit..Give me a second.

Jeels said:
Alright, eight hours in on Terra. Fighting
that boss in Radiant Garden where Aqua and Ven are fighting alongside you.

Edit: I have more comments to make accidentally hit submit..Give me a second.

Ah the memories!

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Well. My quest to work my way up to BBS is going well.
KH1 on expert is done, including the secret ending.
I'm on day #257 or so in 358/2 Days (proud).
And I'm about 5 worlds into Re: Chain of Memories, also on proud.

For the first time, I think I've got more KH behind me than ahead!
Surprisingly not burnt out yet!

Mejilan said:
Well. My quest to work my way up to BBS is going well.
KH1 on expert is done, including the secret ending.
I'm on day #257 or so in 358/2 Days (proud).
And I'm about 5 worlds into Re: Chain of Memories, also on proud.

For the first time, I think I've got more KH behind me than ahead!
Surprisingly not burnt out yet!

Yeah...you aren't playing the Final Mix Versions of KH or KH II?

Hmmm. =/

Mejilan said:
Japanese is not one of my 3 languages.

I would suggest MOST EMPHATICALLY, to going to a place like KH vids at some point and take a look at all of the scenes you'll have missed in Final Mix and FM +. Be sure and stay away from spoilers as well though.

And yes, the scenes have been sub'd.

Jeels

So impressions.

-Definitely the best Kingdom Hearts game, period. The only reason KH1 would seem better to me would be because I were looking at it through nostalgia goggles, which is understandable considering how novel of a concept it was back then.
-The worlds are going by real quick, 8 hours in and already at Radiant Garden. I have to say though I'm not as disappointed with the pacing here like I was with KH2, which I always considered to have piss poor pacing compared to what I considered to be perfection in KH1. Maybe it's because I already know I'm only getting 1/3rd of the story.
-The command board is a great diversion. Makes me want a full fledged Itadaki Street to be published here.
-Slightly more difficult then I expected critical to be, so I am mostly happy on that front. Although I just realized I haven't been abusing my cure, so we'll see how that goes.
-The story is really really interesting to me, I don't know why. I feel like even the Disney worlds are somewhat starting to contribute again.
-Command board is a great idea. Game feels much less button mashy.

Mejilan

TheChillyAcademic said:
I would suggest MOST EMPHATICALLY, to going to a place like KH vids at some point and take a look at all of the scenes you'll have missed in Final Mix and FM +. Be sure and stay away from spoilers as well though.

And yes, the scenes have been sub'd.

I can do that. Let me get CoM and Days under my belt, first.
I'll probably play KH2 and BBS together, much like I've been playing KH1 (now CoM) and Days side-by-side.

Mejilan said:
I can do that. Let me get CoM and Days under my belt, first.
I'll probably play KH2 and BBS together, much like I've been playing KH1 (now CoM) and Days side-by-side.

Whoa whoa whoa...

Are you playing COM or Re:COM?

I'd have to say that while I have enjoyed BBS, KH II FM+ is without a doubt the best title in series, followed VERY CLOSELY by Re:COM

TheChillyAcademic said:
I'd have to say that while I have enjoyed BBS, KH II FM+ is without a doubt the best title in series, followed VERY CLOSELY by Re:COM

Any game that uses KH2 as a base cannot be the best game in the KH series. The gameplay in KH2 was atrocious.

Pureauthor said:
Any game that uses KH2 as a base cannot be the best game in the KH series. The gameplay in KH2 was atrocious.

Incorrect.

While the battle system wasn't nearly as fluid as it is in BBS, BBS is about 23x easier than both Proud KH FM and KH II FM +. Especially if you compare BBS' MF to FM + Lingering Spirit.

However in the end, the narrative (once fixed and actually complete) in FM+ is what sealed the deal for me.

Mejilan

TheChillyAcademic said:
Whoa whoa whoa...

Are you playing COM or Re:COM?

Re: CoM. I played through the GBA game ages ago. It was actually my first KH.

Peff

Final Mix+ is a big improvement over Vanilla, having a much better difficulty level and a placebo for more intricate exploration, but I still think BbS is better overall, since it started from there and improved it even further.

Peff said:
Final Mix+ is a big improvement over Vanilla, having a much better difficulty level and a placebo for more intricate exploration, but I still think BbS is better overall, since it started from there and improved it even further.

FM+ had more Organization XIII :p

While the battle system wasn't nearly as fluid as it is in BBS, BBS is about 23x easier than both Proud KH FM and KH II FM +. Especially if you compare BBS' MF to FM + Lingering Spirit.

Difficulty is not a primary factor in deciding the quality of a game.

'S far as I'm concerned, both BbS and KH2 are about equal in difficulty (which is to say: they are not difficult). However boss fights in KH2 are far more tedious, and generally just less well designed. That's not even getting into the awfulness of worlds like Port Royal or Pride Lands.

While the MF is indeed a terrible boss fight (and it has nothing to do with it's 'difficulty') it's a single bonus boss, and anyway VLS is a far better fight than both MF and LS. It can't be used as a determinant of the overall quality of the game.

As for the narrative - spare me. I've been through all of the 'extended' plot points in KH2 and if anything it just makes the overarching plot that much dumber.

Pureauthor said:
Difficulty is not a primary factor in deciding the quality of a game.

'S far as I'm concerned, both BbS and KH2 are about equal in difficulty (which is to say: they are not difficult). However boss fights in KH2 are far more tedious, and generally just less well designed. That's not even getting into the awfulness of worlds like Port Royal or Pride Lands.

While the MF is indeed a terrible boss fight (and it has nothing to do with it's 'difficulty') it's a single bonus boss, and anyway VLS is a far better fight than both MF and LS. It can't be used as a determinant of the overall quality of the game.

As for the narrative - spare me. I've been through all of the 'extended' plot points in KH2 and if anything it just makes the overarching plot that much dumber.

The quality of a game is absolutely down to opinion.

Do you know what I dislike about BBS? I hate the letter B. Its absolutely awful.

Do you know what I love about FM+? I love math and the + sign reminds me of a math problem.

Make sense?

Not in the least, but that's the point.

I simply enjoyed FM+ more, I'm not saying you have to or anyone has to. The fact of the matter is that whatever YOU may find to be pointless in the added narrative or battles are the same reasons I liked it so much. Opinions.

Oh and the Data Battles whoop VLS in terms of fun ANY DAY.

Mejilan

On that note, I'm not going to apologize over how much I'm enjoying Days! :lol
It's like everything that Crisis Chore tried to be and utterly failed at.

And as much as Re: CoM is mechanically better than the original CoM, it kind of loses a lot by not being portable.

TheChillyAcademic said:

All FM+ did was add extra diversions, the main gameplay remained bad.

TheChillyAcademic said:
However in the end, the narrative (once fixed and actually complete) in FM+ is what sealed the deal for me.

Fixed? You mean they removed the icecream keyhole?

Mejilan said:
And as much as Re: CoM is mechanically better than the original CoM, it kind of loses a lot by not being portable.

The ultimate reason Re:CoM is better than CoM is because it has Lord of the Castle as the final boss music.

Also Bloo voices Marluxia.

Mejilan said:
On that note, I'm not going to apologize over how much I'm enjoying Days! :lol
It's like everything that Crisis Chore tried to be and utterly failed at.

Yeah I enjoyed Days a lot more than I thought I would. I always felt the CO Organization Members were the more interesting ones however.

Top Bottom