• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It All Began With... Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep |OT|

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Pureauthor said:
The ultimate reason Re:CoM is better than CoM is because it has Lord of the Castle as the final boss music.

Also Bloo voices Marluxia.

:D
Ultimate, perhaps, but there are tons more reasons why Re: CoM is better than the first.
Wish they could have done something about the (even more) atrocious (than usual for KH) level design. This kind of garbage was infinitely more excusable in portable fashion, IMHO.

Combat's still fantastic though. Huge step up from KH1 or Days in just about every sense. And I hate card collectathons / battlers. Though like Baten Kaitos, it's not a true card battler in any real sense. Probably why I like 'em.

Fimbulvetr said:
All FM+ did was add extra diversions, the main gameplay remained bad.

You played it right?

That's right...

Yes the battle system in KH II was not amazing and certainly not challenging in the vanilla game. The entire game centered around reflect sadly enough. Even so, it added more than "Extra" diversions which I suppose you would know if...

Pureauthor said:
The ultimate reason Re:CoM is better than CoM is because it has Lord of the Castle as the final boss music.

Also Bloo voices Marluxia.

I hated his voice =/

And yes Lord of the Castle is amazing.

TheChillyAcademic said:
You played it right?

That's right...

Yes the battle system in KH II was not amazing and certainly not challenging in the vanilla game. The entire game centered around reflect sadly enough. Even so, it added more than "Extra" diversions which I suppose you would know if...

Oh right, they added some voiceless cutscenes and abilities that made Sora more broken, like a second Finisher+. The only good thing to come out of it in terms of the overall battle system was re-adding dodgeroll.

Mejilan

TheChillyAcademic said:
Yeah I enjoyed Days a lot more than I thought I would. I always felt the CO Organization Members were the more interesting ones however.

More interesting than who, exactly??
In Days, there pretty much are only Org members. At least, so far 2/3rds into the game.
The Disney characters were always horribly implemented and non-contributory throw-aways, so I can't really ever count them as actual characters. And what little references they have to Riki, Kairi, Sora, and Namine are, so far, almost completely recycled.

And yeah. <3 KH music so much!
I hope they release Days and BBS soundtracks at some point.
They never bothered with GBA CoM, as far as I can recall.
Though mitigated by the inclusion of Re: CoM in that incredible box set, of course.
Shimomura's incredible in this series.

Fimbulvetr said:
Oh right, they added some voiceless cutscenes and abilities that made Sora more broken, like a second Finisher+. The only good thing to come out of it in terms of the overall battle system was re-adding dodgeroll.

Again, its a matter of opinion and preference.

I'm not FORCING you to like it.

Jackass. :p

Jerk

Banned
TheChillyAcademic said:
Whoa whoa whoa...

Are you playing COM or Re:COM?

I'd have to say that while I have enjoyed BBS, KH II FM+ is without a doubt the best title in series, followed VERY CLOSELY by Re:COM

This is so very wrong on so many different fronts.

Edit: Seems like I am late.

Mejilan said:
More interesting than who, exactly??
In Days, there pretty much are only Org members. At least, so far 2/3rds into the game.
The Disney characters were always horribly implemented and non-contributory throw-aways, so I can't really ever count them as actual characters. And what little references they have to Riki, Kairi, Sora, and Namine are, so far, almost completely recycled.

And yeah. <3 KH music so much!

Yeah I will say that the music, the NEW music in BBS is absolutely flooring. So emotional and powerful.

I meant I liked the Castle Oblivion Organization Members more than those who stayed behind in The Castle that Never Was. So:

Vexen
Marluxia
Zexion
Larxene
Lexaeus

Jerk 2.0 said:
This is so very wrong on so many different fronts.

Edit: Seems like I am late.

You shut your face!!

Mejilan

Days built up Axel fairly nicely, honestly.
I really like Xigbar too.
I'm pretty neutral on the rest of 'em.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Ferga said:
Am i strange for understanding the secret ending on my first viewing?
No, but it does require you to be aware of the overall plot of the series to know what's going on in scenes like
Aqua's conversation with Ansem the Wise
, so it's understandable that some wouldn't get what's going on right away.

Seda

Ferga said:
Am i strange for understanding the secret ending on my first viewing?

I dunno, I didn't think the "secret" ending was confusing at all. I'm almost wondering if I missed something or if people really are having trouble understanding it.

Fuu said:
No, but it does require you to be aware of the overall plot of the series to know what's going on in scenes like
Aqua's conversation with Ansem the Wise
, so it's understandable that some wouldn't get what's going on right away.

I suppose

daoster

Beat the game, saw the secret ending, and am now sad my Kingdom Hearts experience is over until KH3...I'd replay KH1 and 2 (if I could find them), but after enjoying BBS' gameplay so much, I don't know if I could go back...

Overall story, I'm still sorta confused with some aspects, and the fact that it's been years since I last played KH and KH2 (and never played the GBA and DS side games) probably hasn't helped me, especially during some scenes in Ven's story.

After spending 100+ hours on my PSP the past month between KH: BBS and Valkyria Chronicles 2, I'm sad that there aren't any new PSP games waiting for me...(Off topic, but any suggestions?)

daoster said:
Beat the game, saw the secret ending, and am now sad my Kingdom Hearts experience is over until KH3...I'd replay KH1 and 2 (if I could find them), but after enjoying BBS' gameplay so much, I don't know if I could go back...

Overall story, I'm still sorta confused with some aspects, and the fact that it's been years since I last played KH and KH2 (and never played the GBA and DS side games) probably hasn't helped me, especially during some scenes in Ven's story.

After spending 100+ hours on my PSP the past month between KH: BBS and Valkyria Chronicles 2, I'm sad that there aren't any new PSP games waiting for me...(Off topic, but any suggestions?)

Well, I'd suggest you buy a DS and play TWEWY. And the Etrian Odyssey series.

Otherwise, you could try Persona 3 Portable?

Jeels

daoster said:

Persona 3 Portable. :] You'll get another 50-100+ hours.

Seda said:
I dunno, I didn't think the "secret" ending was confusing at all. I'm almost wondering if I missed something or if people really are having trouble understanding it.

It isn't a matter of being confusing or not. The secret ending connected certain points together actually quite well for a KH "secret" ending. What it did however was raise even more questions.

The only thing that I didn't get right away was
Ventus' dream.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
daoster said:

Play Phantasy Star Portable 2. It has game play/battle mechanics pretty darn similar to Kingdom Hearts BBS. Infinite hours with online play, over 100+ just single player. Check out the demo on PSN, you'll be glad that you did!

Adam Prime said:
Play Phantasy Star Portable 2. It has game play/battle mechanics pretty darn similar to Kingdom Hearts BBS. Infinite hours with online play, over 100+ just single player. Check out the demo on PSN, you'll be glad that you did!

listen to this man. He is a scholar and a gentleman.

Ponn

Banned
Finally beat this today, Proud mode and got the secret movie. WOW! I have to say I was jaded when this was first announced for PSP and then afraid it would indeed be disappointing after playing KH DS but this was an awesome addition to the main series. For all intents I would just go ahead and label this KH 3 or at least KH 2.5. Answered alot of questions and even managed to help setup a vague roadmap for the future. Excellent, just excellent. Now i'm depressed for the long wait for KH3. I almost kind of hope they just make KH3 on PSP now. I would be happy with this gameplay engine and can at least be assured to get it this gen. I've given up all hopes of KH3 on any current gen console.

daoster

Thanks for the suggestions guys...I've already played TWEWY awhile back, and I've beaten the original Persona 3 (wasn't a fan), so I doubt I'll play those again.

I'll check out Phantasy Star Portable 2.

Peff

Ys Seven is somewhat similar to BbS (same genre but different take on the gameplay), maybe you'd enjoy that, and the rest of the PSP ports that are coming shortly (Felghana next month and Ys I & II early 2011).

Ponn01 said:
Finally beat this today, Proud mode and got the secret movie. WOW! I have to say I was jaded when this was first announced for PSP and then afraid it would indeed be disappointing after playing KH DS but this was an awesome addition to the main series. For all intents I would just go ahead and label this KH 3 or at least KH 2.5. Answered alot of questions and even managed to help setup a vague roadmap for the future. Excellent, just excellent. Now i'm depressed for the long wait for KH3. I almost kind of hope they just make KH3 on PSP now. I would be happy with this gameplay engine and can at least be assured to get it this gen. I've given up all hopes of KH3 on any current gen console.

It's Kingdom Hearts 0, for all intents and purposes. If anything its:

Kingdom Hearts: BBS 0
Kingdom Hearts 1
Kingdom Hearts: COM 1.5
Kingdom Hearts 2: 2
Kingdom Hearts Coded: 2.5

And get those other RPGs outta here!! -.-

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Jeels said:
At Olympus Collesium, I can't beat
Zack when he is being manipulated by Hades
Tips?

Use Shot Lock when he does his long combo, you'll be invincible... then just relentlessly combo him.

Jerk

Banned
I just the second world with Aqua and man is she difficult to use.

Still, she is much more likable than the other two.

Jerk 2.0 said:
I just the second world with Aqua and man is she difficult to use.

Still, she is much more likable than the other two.

Her defense really is way too low.

Okay, I beat all the Arena battles, Rumble Racing tracks, and command boards. I'm only missing two ranks(and they require medal grinding).

What's the best way to get medals?

Peff

Fastest is probably the greedy something challenge+Megaflare, so it'll take like 30 seconds and you get a hundred and a few medals. The best as in not tedious is multiplayer.

Hmmm...

Thinking back on it

The Lingering Sentiment from KH II FM+, which is essentially Terra's Armor you fight at the end of his Episode, makes a bit more sense now. When Sora is transported to The Badlands to fight him, TLS confuses him for Riku ("it isn't you that I have chosen") and then of course for Xehanort. I had always assumed that he confused Sora for Ventus due to the connection their hearts have, but either way it is interesting.

Hmm.

Mael

Well I'm near finishing Ventus's story and
Vanitas
is actually handing my ass on a silver plater for all to see...
Well so far my theories are CORRECT!
I enjoyed this game way way more than I thought I ever would and I have Other M to thank :lol
truly after experiencing something so bad you would wish it out of existence, actually experiencing something good is incredibly rewarding.

The story is great, the gameplay is awesome, it feels like KH1 all over again!

still I would have prefered that the trailer from KH2FM+ was a retaken a little more literally...
I only have ventus viewpoint and my god is Terra a moron, I feel like I've been spoiled out of a few fights but still.
And what I take as the last place is really an awesome location,
so far it's the best thing I've bought this year gaming related;
I like it THAT much

TheChillyAcademic said:
It's Kingdom Hearts 0, for all intents and purposes. If anything its:

Kingdom Hearts: BBS 0
Kingdom Hearts 1
Kingdom Hearts: COM 1.5
Kingdom Hearts 2: 2
Kingdom Hearts Coded: 2.5

And get those other RPGs outta here!! -.-
Coded is more like KH 2.3 while 3DS is 2.5.

I finally finished Ventus's story after thirty hours. I still have Terra and Aqua's left.

I miss having to focus on only one character. I like leveling up and getting commands, but it's too much of a chore when I have two more character stories left to complete.

Ferga

RadioHeadAche said:
I finally finished Ventus's story after thirty hours. I still have Terra and Aqua's left.

I miss having to focus on only one character. I like leveling up and getting commands, but it's too much of a chore when I have two more character stories left to complete.

I liked that it was different. I mean it's 3 stories that linked together.

I found it fun leveling all 3 of them since the battle system was brilliant =\

maybe that's just me?

Ferga said:
I liked that it was different. I mean it's 3 stories that linked together.

I found it fun leveling all 3 of them since the battle system was brilliant =\

maybe that's just me?

The battle system is excellent, but I just prefer one character because I can level them up as much as I want without having to worry about starting over with multiple characters.

Mejilan

*dances a merry jig*
I'm on day 300 or so in 358/2 and just finished clearing off 2 more worlds in Re:CoM. Just beat Larxene and opened up the second set of worlds. Very shortly I'll be side-by-siding KH2 and BbS!

duckroll

Mejilan said:
:D
Ultimate, perhaps, but there are tons more reasons why Re: CoM is better than the first.
Wish they could have done something about the (even more) atrocious (than usual for KH) level design. This kind of garbage was infinitely more excusable in portable fashion, IMHO.

Be mindful that Re:CoM was developed in a year or less by a team which had never worked on KH before that, as a free pack-in for KH2FM+ in Japan. Before they made Re:CoM, they were prototyping Birth by Sleep. Considering they got the request to develop a PS2 remake of a GBA game in such a short period of time, I think they did very, very well.

RadioHeadAche said:
The battle system is excellent, but I just prefer one character because I can level them up as much as I want without having to worry about starting over with multiple characters.
I don't really see the big deal. Commands level up so quickly in this game.

Mejilan

duckroll said:
Be mindful that Re:CoM was developed in a year or less by a team which had never worked on KH before that, as a free pack-in for KH2FM+ in Japan. Before they made Re:CoM, they were prototyping Birth by Sleep. Considering they got the request to develop a PS2 remake of a GBA game in such a short period of time, I think they did very, very well.

I'm not knocking their work. My problems with Re:CoM were basically identical in CoM!

7Th

RadioHeadAche said:

What? I had to force myself to spend 8 hours on each individual story...

7Th said:
What? I had to force myself to spend 8 hours on each individual story...

Hmm, my time is double that might be critical mode. Then again I could be doing something wrong. Thankfully I'm at Aqua's end and I'll see if I'll remain motivated enough for the final chapter.

Jerk

Banned
Just beat the first two bosses in the final chapter.

I absolutely adore Aqua.

She was the most difficult to get used to, but after getting over that hump, she has some of the better commands and two of the top three level 2 styles.

The bosses were bitch to do on critical though. I had to use a deck of 8 Curagas + Renewal Barrier/counter to beat them; first time that I bothered to Block/counter ever.

Zomba13

Finished the game yesterday.
Best game on the PSP by far (imo)
Fantastic looking
fully voiced with some good performances (Jesse McCartney) and some not so good (terra at the start, Aqua at some points)
Best KH gameplay (I fucking love the form change thingamajigs like blade charge)
Really good story that fills in a lot of blanks in the KH storyline and makes sense

I can't wait for re:coded (mostly for the story it fills in) and 3DS.
Anyone know if Reconnect: Kingdom Hearts is anything? Like the next game or something or just a blatant hint at what will happen in 3 or 3DS?

Bebpo

Banned
Zomba13 said:
Reconnect: Kingdom Hearts is anything? Like the next game or something or just a blatant hint at what will happen in 3 or 3DS?

I think the idea is it'll be the first part of the next major KH game. So probably 3DS, unless 3DS ends up being a troll.

Top Bottom