• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It All Began With... Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep |OT|

duckroll

Combichristoffersen said:
Always seems to miss when I try to block Xehanort's attacks, but I guess it's just due to blocking being shittastically slow in this game

Blocking isn't slow, it's timing based. If your timing is off, obviously you will fail to block the attack. It's not a problem with the system, but a matter of skill. You need to learn how to use block and counter with Terra or you will never do very well with him on high level play.

It's the timing of the blocking that threw me off because it's not instantaneous and it's not for the duration of the button press. Expectations I walked in with, so partially my fault but I've never really played a Kingdom Hearts game. Outside of two or three boss encounters all BBS demands of you is pressing x and triangle to watch pretty/cool things happen. At least that was my experience playing through Terra's campaign on Normal.

Blocking, countering, dashing, having the right Command Deck, shotlocking for immunity from incoming attacks, using and abusing D-Links, none of this is consistently asked of the player by the game through its design on the Normal difficulty. It's just dead easy, it rewards you for mashing x and triangle with some pretty pyrotechnics. Hit a boss battle, all of the sudden the difficulty spikes and all of the things the game hasn't been asking of you throughout your journey leading up to this boss battle are suddenly integral to your progression. Get over the hurdle and then it coasts back to dead easy. It's just kind of inconsistent and, to a neophyte, puzzling.

Frustrations aside, it's still an enjoyable experience. Definitely having an easier go at it with Ventus now that I'm learning to game the system a bit more.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
duckroll said:
Blocking isn't slow, it's timing based. If your timing is off, obviously you will fail to block the attack. It's not a problem with the system, but a matter of skill. You need to learn how to use block and counter with Terra or you will never do very well with him on high level play.

Fuck that shit, I'll just leave the game to rot then, and go back to Nier :mad:
Nier is better than BbS anyway

duckroll

Fuck that shit, I'll just leave the game to rot then, and go back to Nier :mad:
Nier is better than BbS anyway

Yeah, go back to text adventures and button mashing. Games which require proper skill and practice are definitely not for you.

I didn't really get the blocking until I stopped thinking of it how most other games handle blocking and started thinking more like parrying. In that regards I actually think the timing window is very generous, particularly in how much you can preempt an enemy's attack.

Combichristoffersen

duckroll said:
Yeah, go back to text adventures and button mashing. Games which require proper skill and practice are definitely not for you.

I play games to be entertained, not to spend ages perfecting and honing skills.

Anyway, finally defeated Xehanort. Jesus, what a ridiculous difficulty spike. The game never, not at all, not once, requires you to ever use blocking when playing on normal. Until the final boss, that is. Doesn't help much that the blocking is weird as fuck in this game compared to most other games.

Still a good game.
But not as good as Nier

branny

After playing through on Critical Mode when it was released, I only have
MF
left to beat, but I'm really sad that some people aren't feeling the game. Out of every KH that's come out, I've only truly liked KH1 and BBS. COM and KH2 were okay but had issues, and 358 was just plain bad.
Although still not as bad as Crisis Core.

I can't imagine playing it on any other difficulty, though. Is it still as demanding on lower settings? By the end of Critical Mode in each campaign, it was largely the usual Kingdom Hearts bubble wrap popping outside of the boss fights. And even in those, all you have to do is pay attention with dodging and blocking and abuse certain system mechanics to protect yourself. For example, saving a particular skill/shotlock/d-link/whatever with invincibility frames to brave something that you know will kill you even if you tried blocking or evading.

Die Squirrel Die said:
I didn't really get the blocking until I stopped thinking of it how most other games handle blocking and started thinking more like parrying. In that regards I actually think the timing window is very generous, particularly in how much you can preempt an enemy's attack.

Yeah, it's a pleasantly generous window of time for something that's essentially an overpowered parry.

But not as good as Nier

Nier's literally the complete opposite of this game. I thought Nier was okay, but none of my affection comes from anything you actually play in that game. Since you're someone who appears to be content with it, it's clearly a tomayto-tomahto situation.

BBS's story isn't as good (although I think Nier's had some issues, too), but it's more tolerable than most other KH garbage. As far as gameplay, they are on completely opposite ends of the spectrum in my eyes.

I find it hard to even compare these two games. One's polished and fun to play while the other feels incomplete but has lots of great ideas, IMO.

I play games to be entertained, not to spend ages perfecting and honing skills.

This is a totally acceptable viewpoint.

If you're someone who isn't a fan of this style of gaming, as the snippet I quoted seems to convey, I'm inclined to agree it probably won't make much of an impression. It's simply a case of different preferences and expectations. There's nothing at all to worry about. It's good to hear you still were able to have fun with the game.

Now, if you're someone who's enamored with games like Bayonetta, DMC, Monster Hunter, Demon's Souls, Castlevania (recently, Ecclesia), good fighting games, bullet heaven shmups, or even other RPGs with harder difficulties that give you the tools to play around like Star Ocean 3, Resonance, Vesperia, etc., then BBS won't disappoint you. It's simple but really fun and is substantially adequate if you're a little more demanding about gameplay. I absolutely can't stand anything less.
And if I hear one more person praising the suffocatingly linear minigame abomination that was FF13's battle system, I will shoot someone.

Combichristoffersen

branny said:
Nier's literally the complete opposite of this game. I thought Nier was okay, but none of my affection comes from anything you actually play in that game. Since you're someone who appears to be content with it, it's clearly a tomayto-tomahto situation.

BBS's story isn't as good (although I think Nier's had some issues, too), but it's more tolerable than most other KH garbage. As far as gameplay, they are on completely opposite ends of the spectrum in my eyes.

I find it hard to even compare these two games. One's polished and fun to play while the other feels incomplete but has lots of great ideas, IMO.

This is a totally acceptable viewpoint.

If you're someone who isn't a fan of this style of gaming, as the snippet I quoted seems to convey, I'm inclined to agree it probably won't make much of an impression. It's simply a case of different preferences and expectations. There's nothing at all to worry about. It's good to hear you still were able to have fun with the game.

Now, if you're someone who's enamored with games like Bayonetta, DMC, Monster Hunter, Demon's Souls, Castlevania (recently, Ecclesia), good fighting games, bullet heaven shmups, or even other RPGs with harder difficulties that give you the tools to play around like Star Ocean 3, Resonance, Vesperia, etc., then BBS won't disappoint you. It's simple but really fun and is substantially adequate if you're a little more demanding about gameplay. I absolutely can't stand anything less.
And if I hear one more person praising the suffocatingly linear minigame abomination that was FF13's battle system, I will shoot someone.

Nier's story isn't perfect by any means, but compared to BbS it's storytelling of the most amazing kind. But then again, no one should play the KH games for their story, as the story doesn't make a single lick of sense.

I liked the battle system in FF13. Not as good as FF12 (but then again, what is?), but it wasn't horrible by any means. And no, I usually don't really play games like DMC and Bayonetta (I did complete Bayonetta on easy though, and quite liked the game, and completed DMC2 and.. well, I've played worse games, at least). I just don't have the time or patience to spend hours just perfecting combat skills, I just play them like the God of War games; mash square to see glorious violence :lol

You make it sound like you're playing Ninja Gaiden.

General KH question:
I now own every installment in the series--which I plan to play in chronological order once I beat BBS--except Chain of Memories. Is the PS2 version worth grabbing?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxLrhEw1npE

I think I'm gonna grab it. I'll have plenty of games to play through before KH3D releases :3

Combichristoffersen

jaundicejuice said:

General KH question:
I now own every installment in the series--which I plan to play in chronological order once I beat BBS--except Chain of Memories. Is the PS2 version worth grabbing?

I think I'm gonna grab it. I'll have plenty of games to play through before KH3D releases :3

Personally I thought Chain of Memories/Re:CoM was awful, largely due to the convoluted combat system, but some GAFfers loved it, so ymmv, I guess

jaundicejuice said:

General KH question:

I would most definitely pick it up, it has, likely, one of the best storylines in the entire series.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Back when BBS came out, I was playing a bunch of other stuff, and really didn't have time to go through it.

Now I'm in the process of moving apartments, and I need something to play while I'm directing movers and sitting around in an empty apartment. I'm a big KH fan, but hated 358/2 Days (loved KH2), so I was a bit wary of picking this up. Turns out, the reviews are pretty glowing!

So I'm looking forward to playing this. Right now my PSP is dead, so I'm charging it so I can install the game (you apparently can't install on a low battery). Now I play the waiting game...

xKilltheMx said:
just finished this on normal and got the special report. Still kinda confused but toroughly enjoyed the game. Def better than KH1.

Better than KH2? I don't know why KH2 gets so much hate. I loved the game.

thetrin said:
Back when BBS came out, I was playing a bunch of other stuff, and really didn't have time to go through it.

Now I'm in the process of moving apartments, and I need something to play while I'm directing movers and sitting around in an empty apartment. I'm a big KH fan, but hated 358/2 Days (loved KH2), so I was a bit wary of picking this up. Turns out, the reviews are pretty glowing!

So I'm looking forward to playing this. Right now my PSP is dead, so I'm charging it so I can install the game (you apparently can't install on a low battery). Now I play the waiting game...

Better than KH2? I don't know why KH2 gets so much hate. I loved the game.

Well comparable to KH2, I preferred BBS to 2 because of the lack of triangle button prompts for everything, and hated every second of KH1 so much that it took me years to finally trudge through it.

duckroll

I don't think you have to hate KH2 to say BbS is better than KH2. It's not like it's an insult to say BbS is better. KH2 has a few better worlds, and a few worse worlds, and overall more content, and a lot of mediocre filler. But what makes BbS much better is a real and meaningful evolution of the KH combat system to something which no longer requires annoying menu navigation and MP management. Instead it's all about customization of attacks, and action based gameplay. It's not only faster and more action packed than KH2, but it's simply more fun and there's much more variety. The bosses also aren't damage sponges, which is a huge plus.

plainr_

Just finished completing BbS and I can safely say it is, IMO, the best of the series entirely due to the gameplay mechanics.

jaundicejuice said:
Chains of Memories am ordered. May as well go for the whole series.

I really want to get CoM but I'm just not feeling that card battle system.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
duckroll said:
The bosses also aren't damage sponges, which is a huge plus.

Well, that's good news. I look forward to playing more of the game.

duckroll said:
I don't think you have to hate KH2 to say BbS is better than KH2. It's not like it's an insult to say BbS is better. KH2 has a few better worlds, and a few worse worlds, and overall more content, and a lot of mediocre filler. But what makes BbS much better is a real and meaningful evolution of the KH combat system to something which no longer requires annoying menu navigation and MP management. Instead it's all about customization of attacks, and action based gameplay. It's not only faster and more action packed than KH2, but it's simply more fun and there's much more variety. The bosses also aren't damage sponges, which is a huge plus.

I think this summed up my feelings on the game perfectly.

Combichristoffersen

KH2 had nice graphics and the gummi ship parts were kinda fun, otherwise I found it to be a dull, lifeless game that just wasn't as fun as KH1. Timeless River, Pride Lands and Port Royal were OK levels though.

thetrin

KH2 had nice graphics and the gummi ship parts were kinda fun, otherwise I found it to be a dull, lifeless game that just wasn't as fun as KH1. Timeless River, Pride Lands and Port Royal were OK levels though.

Ugh, I hated KH1. KH2 was far more fun. KH1 had horrific platforming.

So, I've started the game, and I'm playing as Aqua. So far, what annoys me the most is the artificial lag between attack combos and casting spell. For some reason, she just stands there and waits a second until she's good and ready to cast a spell, even if I'm mashing the button.

Is this going to be a trend in this game, or is this just a function of Aqua being a totally lame fighter?

Aqua is the toughest character to get the hang, particularly in the early going. She does become a beast by the end though. However it's the consensus of pretty much everybody that she's really the character you should save until last. Start with Terra or Ven, there much more straightforward.

thetrin

Die Squirrel Die said:
Aqua is the toughest character to get the hang, particularly in the early going. She does become a beast by the end though. However it's the consensus of pretty much everybody that she's really the character you should save until last. Start with Terra or Ven, there much more straightforward.

Well, it's kinda too late for that. I've already completed a world and I'm almost done my second. :S

Should I just restart?

thetrin said:
Well, it's kinda too late for that. I've already completed a world and I'm almost done my second. :S

Should I just restart?

You don't have to restart, do you?

Just start a new save with one of the other characters, then you could always just go back to your Aqua save. But it's not like you carry anything over between games anyway, and it isn't like this game is all that difficult to begin with, so I'm sure you'd be fine just continuing on with Aqua

thetrin

Die Squirrel Die said:
You need a separate save file for each character anyway, so you can just start a new character without losing any Aqua progress you've already made.
Oh really? Well that's cool. I'll just finish this world and put her aside for now.

Wow. Okay. I'm definitely going to play some other character. Enemies are beating the shit out of me.

robotzombie said:
it isn't like this game is all that difficult to begin with, so I'm sure you'd be fine just continuing on with Aqua

Well, apparently I suck at the game, because the magic mirror just beat the fucking shit out of me. :p

thetrin said:
Oh really? Well that's cool. I'll just finish this world and put her aside for now.

Wow. Okay. I'm definitely going to play some other character. Enemies are beating the shit out of me.

Well, apparently I suck at the game, because the magic mirror just beat the fucking shit out of me. :p

Lmao she takes a while to get a hang of admittedly, but like everyone else has said start with Terra or Ven first her story makes poopoo sense if you go with her first.

thetrin said:

It's understandable, Aqua has the worst defense stat of the 3 characters and her physical attacks don't do much.

thetrin

Those damn rabbit looking things keep beating the shit out of me. Moving on to Ventus!

EDIT: Playing a little Ventus right now, and I'm not feeling it. I'm not sure if it's Aqua I don't like, or the combat itself. There's something seriously off about it. Even Ventus feels kinda slow.

I dunno, maybe I need to get used to it, but I don't know if I'll be able to stand the way the combat works for very long.

Maybe I should just go play something else and come back to this, because this is giving me a bad taste.

thetrin said:
Those damn rabbit looking things keep beating the shit out of me. Moving on to Ventus!

These enemies in particular are an annoyance for all characters really. In general if your having a problem or its not clicking play on a lower difficulty. If worst comes to worst just move on to another title.

Combichristoffersen

Done with Terra and Ventus. I think I'll just plow through Aqua's part on easy just to get it over with. Also, I really, really hate the voice actors in this game when the characters are supposed to be laughing. Sounds so horribly forced. It annoys me greatly, and I want to punch them all in the dick for it.

thetrin

Maybe I'll play through Nier for a 5th time. :p

duckroll said:

This sums up my feelings pretty well. I loved KH2, but BBS is even better than it. The evolution of the combat into something amazing being the biggest reason why. While KH2 had a bit more meat in terms of content, I think the quality of what's there in BBS surpasses it. I just wish there were a few more worlds in the game.

Jeels

Done with Terra and Ventus. I think I'll just plow through Aqua's part on easy just to get it over with. Also, I really, really hate the voice actors in this game when the characters are supposed to be laughing. Sounds so horribly forced. It annoys me greatly, and I want to punch them all in the dick for it.

You might not want to do that if you want to get the real ending.

thetrin

Jeels said:

Or he could just plow through on easy and watch the real ending on Youtube.

jvalioli

Yeah combat felt kind off for me too. Couldn't really figure out why I didn't like it either. I do want to see the game to the end, but I guess I will go through it slowly. Did Terra's story and am partway through Ventus.

Combichristoffersen

Jeels said:

I doubt I'd get the real ending anyway, I played through the other two on normal, and did fuck all to unlock the ending. So I'll just plow through Aqua's part on easy, finish that final chapter, and watch the secret ending on youtube and be done with it.

Edit: Oh, you need all the reports to play the final episode. Well, fuck that then, can't be bothered.

thetrin said:
Maybe I'll play through Nier for a 5th time. :p

Sounds like a good idea to me :D

JCX

Just finished BBS. It is probably the best KH, building upon the combat from 2 and better level design from 1. Now to find a description of what the heck is going on in the KH story.

thetrin said:

EDIT: Playing a little Ventus right now, and I'm not feeling it. I'm not sure if it's Aqua I don't like, or the combat itself. There's something seriously off about it. Even Ventus feels kinda slow.

I dunno, maybe I need to get used to it, but I don't know if I'll be able to stand the way the combat works for very long.

Maybe I should just go play something else and come back to this, because this is giving me a bad taste.

Coming off of Sora's overpowered spam combo bullshit, anything can seem slow.

Combichristoffersen

JCX said:
Now to find a description of what the heck is going on in the KH story.

Sora is everyone. The bad guy is also everyone. The bad guy really really really wants to get his hands on Kingdom Hearts. But no one really knows exactly what Kingdom Hearts is supposed to be, except that it's a heart-shaped moon in the sky. Mickey is a ninja, yo, and his life is like a video game. And the rest makes no sense. At all.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Blech, the secret boss in this is so poorly designed..

Osaka Team should study the optional bosses in KH1 (including Final Mix) for anything they're placing into Dream Drop Distance.

Princess Skittles said:
Blech, the secret boss in this is so poorly designed..

Osaka Team should study the optional bosses in KH1 (including Final Mix) for anything they're placing into Dream Drop Distance.
Which boss?

Mysterious Figure
is kinda broken, yes, but
Vanitas' Sentiment
is one of the best-designed optional bosses in the series - very tough, but very fair.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
badcrumble said:
Which boss?

Mysterious Figure
is kinda broken, yes, but
Vanitas' Sentiment
is one of the best-designed optional bosses in the series - very tough, but very fair.
The Vanitas one. I'm near Level 60 on Proud Mode and his attacks still one hit me (well, they take me down to one HP thanks to Once More/Second Chance).

I can dodge the first attack (the seven black shadows) and then once the real one gets near me I'm lucky to get a couple of attacks in before being killed. So I can take two hits and I have to heal with potions.. but he can hit me while I do that (no Leaf Veil). I don't really feel that it's that skill based at all.. and I do feel that I'm generally versed in these games. Checking other people's comments on it pretty much ends up being relegated to "tricks" to beat him.

The combat in this game can get kind of weird if you start to master the D-Links, something I didn't do in Terra's campaign but am in Ventus'. Playing a music rhythm mini-game on a ukulele to destroy monsters.

Just completed Ventus' campaign, now that just leaves Aqua. It was definitely more enjoyable and fairly easy the second time through. That could be because I now know what it is I'm supposed to do, or Ventus' camapign was simply that much easier than Terra's.

Oh shit, I over-wrote Terra's complete file when I started to play Ventus campaign, am I going to have to replay Terra's campaign now?

Top Bottom