• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It All Began With... Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep |OT|

duckroll

Stumpokapow said:
7.5 is a bit ridiculous, but they did tap into a pretty serious problem with SE's PSP engine. Crisis Core obviously looked spectacular, but the environments were flat and dull. BBS looks pretty great to me, but the environments look flat and dull. 3rd Birthday looks great to be, but the environments look flat and dull.

I refuse to believe that 3 games with 3 sets of creative staff all suck at designing environments, so I'm assuming the engine sucks at doing them :p

But none of those 3 games run on the same engine. None of those 3 games are even developed in the same office or by the same people.

Peff said:
Yes

Crown Stickers are similar to the Puzzle Pieces in KH2: Final Mix +, they are around the environments, you get them, and place them in an album. When you have enough, you get a certain bonus.

I like the sound of the bonuses. I hope the crown stickers are well hidden.

CryptiK

Been waiting oh so long.... I bought a PSP for this shit! BRING IT! This will redeem the piece of shit DS game that called itself Kingdom Hearts.

Sounds like their are alot of great additions to this game, but since it's 3 separate stories I wonder if some items are permanently missable.

no relase day delivery from amazon. : (

ops Needed to remove and re-add it to my cart.

I do wonder how release date delivery will work as Monday is a holiday.

Takao

Banned
Spiegel said:
7.5 in graphics??

Oh, IGN

I don't really even read reviews for handheld games, and just go off of impressions. Some western reviewers seem to have some sort of warped vision when it comes to handheld games. My favourites are always in the handheld iterations of a franchise that was on PS3 or something. There's almost always a line about how the game doesn't look any where near as good as the PS3 iteration. No way, that can't be possible. Ugh.

darkjedi187 said:
Sounds like their are alot of great additions to this game, but since it's 3 separate stories I wonder if some items are permanently missable.

It's not like their stories all have to be on one save file you know. :p

Peff said:
Uh, frame rate drops? Not on 333 Mhz...

When I played it at Comic-Con, the framrate was glorious. That build was the retail build as well.

Fuck both ign and gamespot reviews, day motherfucking 1!

I know gamestop is evil, but should I get it from there knowing I can get it around lunch or do release day from amazon and get it around 6pm. That's if the holiday doesn't screw it up. One is a better deal and one I get earlier.

Tailzo

I am not hyped for this game. But I justplaced a preorder for it. I've wanted to give a Kingdom hearts game a try for a while, but never got around to it (and had some trouble tolerating the Disney characters mixed with FF ones.).

3 PSP rpg games in ~a month !

edit: streching the period for longer than a month I've got;
Ys SEVEN, VC II, soon Kingdom Hearts BBS and Phantasy Star Portable 2 and later Ys: III Oath in Felghana. Amazing!

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I'm always a bit surprised the Final Fantasy aspect of these games never enters beyond an occasional cameo appearance or boss fight. Disney world's are retreaded and revisited ad-nauseum, which is surprising(Olympus Colosseum again??). I'd bet fans would get a real kick out of a Midgar world, or visiting a FFVIII Garden.

For a franchise built on it's crossover appeal, it never seems to have taken great advantage of it. Especially considering how terribad the 'original' Square cast ends up being in these games. Actually, does FF even enter the equation anymore? The whole Roxas/Sora/black-robed clan and their confusing and ill-purposed 'narrative' is so prioritized that I don't even see how Disney factors much into it all anymore, beyond delivering really poor stage design.

Just curious(and I'm not trying to be a hater), what is the grand appeal anymore for fans? Is the Sora/Roxas/XIII clan that compelling? It seems anything FF/Disney related is never discussed anymore when it comes to Kingdom hearts topics.

Seda

Wow I'm late. Spent too much time this week away from GAF with classes starting up again.

Anyways, my PSP will be getting a lot of attention this fall, with this and VCII.

PureAuthor's superior OP said:
After the disastrous collapse of Mistwalker (circa 2014), the Gooch decided to pursue a career in Keyblade fighting and promptly went off to the Land of Departure. Over time....

:lol :lol

darkjedi187 said:
I know gamestop is evil, but should I get it from there knowing I can get it around lunch or do release day from amazon and get it around 6pm. That's if the holiday doesn't screw it up. One is a better deal and one I get earlier.

You get 10 dollars credit from amazon. That's worth a few hours in my book.

Jeels

darkjedi187 said:
This is gonna be great. Still wish we would have gotten the final mix games.

The game now features:
2 new Keyblades
A new Command Board (Neverland)
4 new songs in the Ice Cream Beat game (Blast Away! -Gummi Ship II-, Dessert Paradise, Destiny Islands, Hand in Hand).
1 new D-Link (Pete)
Crown stickers
New Deck Commands
New boss ("Mysterious Figure")

Please tell me this isn't another card game... Fuck. i was under the impression that this was like 1 and 2 as far as combat goes.

Jeels

MoonsaultSlayer said:
Please tell me this isn't another card game... Fuck. i was under the impression that this was like 1 and 2 as far as combat goes.

It's not a card deck. It's much different, very hard to explain. But it's not a card game and that's what matters to you so I'll leave it at that.

MoonsaultSlayer said:

It takes ideas from CoM but is not a card game.

farnham

Banned
i thought i saw zack from FF VII. but then i realized that he is another character.
i thought i saw roxas from KH II. but then i realized that he is another character.

oh kingdom hearts

Bebpo

Banned
I get the feeling from the reviews the reviewers are finishing it with 1 character and writing the review (which is fair from a gameplay perspective, but not really story). If you do all 3 like you're supposed to (since they are almost 100% unique game paths) the stories all feel full-length and the main plot is very full and satisfying.

Also I don't remember any loading issues if you install the game. No framerate drops or camera problems either. Graphically the best handheld title there is.

I honestly think the only complaint you can level against the game is that like KH2 it's mash-friendly if you don't want to build awesome attacks and chain them into each other on purpose.

Otherwise I think it's very much the best KH game to date and as close to a console experience as any handheld rpg has ever been.

Bebpo said:
Also I don't remember any loading issues if you install the game. No framerate drops or camera problems either. Graphically the best handheld title there is.

how big is the install if I may ask sir?

Jeels

Urban Scholar said:
how big is the install if I may ask sir?

I think you have four options 200 400 600 800 mb or something like that and obviously its better the more you install.

mjc

I only played through KH1. That being said, theoretically, I could play this game and understand the story right? Like this takes place before every other KH game?

PS - I thought Nimoy and Hamill being VAs in this game was a joke. Imagine my surprise when I checked imdb..goddamn.

Peff

mjc said:
I only played through KH1. That being said, theoretically, I could play this game and understand the story right? Like this takes place before every other KH game?

PS - I thought Nimoy and Hamill being VAs in this game was a joke. Imagine my surprise when I checked imdb..goddamn.

You'll miss the connections to stuff from the following games, but you should definitely be able to follow the story.

farnham said:
i thought i saw zack from FF VII. but then i realized that he is another character.
i thought i saw roxas from KH II. but then i realized that he is another character.

oh kingdom hearts

Zack is in the game you moran.
:lol

Y2Kev said:
358/2 days is total garbage so I have no idea what was going on

This is way better. Would I lie to you?

Clott

This may be a bit out of place of a question but in the last few months I have been really itching for a PSP, I have finally had enough and would like to catch up on games such as Crisis Core and have lots of Jrpg's in my pocket on the go.

I really want a white PSP but I think it's only available in Nippon, would I be able to import it which i have nothing against, and be able to play state side games on it?

Varth

Peff said:
Uh, frame rate drops? Not on 333 Mhz...

Uh? I've seen two of those in like 40 hours of playtrough, and even those were only with the detail and color maxed and during high intensity fights with LOTS of special effects going on.

I really want a white PSP but I think it's only available in Nippon, would I be able to import it which i have nothing against, and be able to play state side games on it?

White PSP should be available in the west. Maybe it was only for psp-1000, though.
However, games are all free region, so go.

Clott

Varth said:
Uh? I've seen two of those in like 40 hours of playtrough, and even those were only with the detail and color maxed and during high intensity fights with LOTS of special effects going on.

White PSP should be available in the west. Maybe it was only for psp-1000, though.
However, games are all free region, so go.

But would the menu's be in Japanese? would I be able to update the PSP state side and change it to the American firmware?

Spiegel

Clott said:
But would the menu's be in Japanese? would I be able to update the PSP state side and change it to the American firmware?

Don't worry, menus will be in english (and many other languages) and the firmware updates are the same.

seady

Is there a timeline to KH?

I only played the first game and the GBA one. Have not touch any other since as the story got too convoluted in KH2 for me to go far into it.

Peff

seady said:

I only played the first game and the GBA one. Have not touch any other since as the story got too convoluted in KH2 for me to go far into it.

Sure

KH: Birth By Sleep ->(Ten Years)->Kingdom Hearts->(Right after)->KH: Chain of Memories->(Right after)->KH:358/2 Days->(Right After)->KH2->(Some time later)->KH: Coded.

Peff said:
Sure

KH: Birth By Sleep ->(Ten Years)->Kingdom Hearts->(Right after)->KH: Chain of Memories->(Right after)->KH:358/2 Days->(Right After)->KH2->(Some time later)->KH: Coded.

Pretty sure Coded is right after 2 since it deals with the
letter Mickey sent to Sora.

Bebpo

Banned
Y2Kev said:
358/2 days is total garbage so I have no idea what was going on

I'm probably one of the few who really liked 358/2 days since I love Roxas and daily icecream scenes made my day but it's still nowhere near the quality of BBS, so yeah! Reviews are weird!

Peff

cosmicblizzard said:
Pretty sure Coded is right after 2 since it deals with the
letter Mickey sent to Sora.

But Mickey is in Destiny Islands during the ending of KH2, so we don't really know how long it is until Jiminy finds the "Thank Naminé" line and they receive the letter

EDIT: I mean, sure, if you take that scene as the ending of the game then it's right after, but either way it's just a detail :p

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Bebpo said:
I'm probably one of the few who really liked 358/2 days since I love Roxas and daily icecream scenes made my day but it's still nowhere near the quality of BBS, so yeah! Reviews are weird!
when does "i am playing this game to watch ice cream cutscenes" classify you as crazy

cause the gameplay was sooo bad

FatalT

Banned
These games have the most convoluted plot ever now. I just read wikipedia's synopsis for it and had my mind blown.

Bebpo

Banned
xKilltheMx said:
Have to choose between this and Phantasy Star Portable 2 for release buying...ughhh. PSP2 is edging out right now.

depends on if you want:
single player story-game vs. multiplayer loot/quest game

Call me crazy but I enjoy the crazy story of KH as does my wife.

It's a big lighthearted yet very dark conundrum and that's probably my main draw to it. If it was something simplistic, I'd most likely have passed on the series after 1 so I am grateful for its zanyness.

Varth

seady said:

BbS is the right one for you, then. Story is very straightforward, and even the nods to what-happened-here-and-there are pretty much self explainatory in the whole game.
As a plus, I think this game has by far the most likeable characters in the series.

Top Bottom