• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

J-Stars Victory VS + |OT| - Subs only, no dubs

61b.gif

I just realized, if its only subs I'm going to have to hear that garbage Goku VA. Son like wtf, why do they have a girl playing goku, she doesn't even try to sound masculine, its weird seeing all those muscles and then hearing a girl voice every time he opens his mouth.

DBZ, one of the few examples where the dub is 100 times better than the original.

This post is 100% wrong.

I understand it might be jarring going from dub Goku to original voice Goku, but once you get used to it, it's infinitely better. (like pretty much all VAs ever).

Looking forward to some fun fanservice. Not expecting anything spectacular and the roster could stand to be better (The One Piece selection is weird and the inclusion of Madara is...yeah), but whatevs. It should be fun for a month or two.

also complaints about japanese goku always make me :'(

『Inaba Resident』;169933418 said:
Well we know that Jotaro and Dio were planned at one point as some of their stuff was found on disc.
I also believe before the original game came out in Japan. Namco Bandai said that if the game got DLC, it would be free. I'm thinking that they might have been saved for DLC but they decided not to in the end.
Seeing as how they didn't even decide to add new characters with this, I'm gonna say that we're not getting new characters at any point unfortunately.

From what I've seen so far, it seems exactly the same.

High tiers still have easy and damaging combos, Sasuke's kunai can still be unblockable, etc. The only changes I've seen are small things like slightly less recovery frames, some moves doing a little less damage, etc. No changes to game mechanics or anytihng.
Overall, it just really bugs and upsets me that they won't take the time to actually improve this game. I think what they have as a base for the gameplay is good. They just need to smooth it out more. (Give the whole cast step and dash cancels, less ending lag and recovery, improve the hitboxes, GIVE ME A DAMN TRAINING MODE, etc.) They claimed they "listened to fan feedback" when making + which is stupid because its obvious that they did the bare minimum.

Thanks, my man. It'll suck missing out on the preorder book, but I'm definitely going to cancel. This is completely unacceptable.

This post is 100% wrong.

I understand it might be jarring going from dub Goku to original voice Goku, but once you get used to it, it's infinitely better. (like pretty much all VAs ever).

I don't think there will ever be a day where I would take Japanese Yusuke over English Yusuke.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Does this game has many DLC?
Pretty sure it had no DLC. The only downloadable stuff was a few themes for PS3, & I think now there'll be a Vita & PS4 theme as well.

Shame that (I THINK) the Vita theme is only for getting it via PSN in the US. Would've liked that more than a PS3 theme.

Edit: My mistake, it was part of the UK trailer. I haven't heard/found anything for the US.

kurahador

Pretty sure it had no DLC. The only downloadable stuff was a few themes for PS3, & I think now there'll be a Vita & PS4 theme as well.

Shame that (I THINK) the Vita theme is only for getting it via PSN in the US. Would've liked that more than a PS3 theme.

Thanks. That makes me feel better for buying the retail asian version for vita.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
No Jotaro? Or Guts? :( Man I am out of the loops with Anime, I hardly recognize anyone from the list.
We got two other Jojo characters: Jonathan from Part 1, & Joseph from Part 2.

Also, Berserk wasn't in Shonen Jump. That series would've been WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too violent & sexual for SJ.

This post is 100% wrong.

well we're all entitled to our opinion and I strongly disagree with yours. and for the record, when I was younger I actually heard the japanese version of Goku first(had a cousin that went hard for his anime and had a bunch of VHS copies of animes), even then it bothered me so much that I avoided the show for years until one day i decided to give it another shot and saw it on toonami since all my friends were so into it. fell in love with the english cast. English goku is the best goku. Japan got the better Freezia I'll give them that, not saying that the english one is bad, i just like the Japanese one a bit more. Goku though? English, replace his actor with someone who doesn't make him sound like a little girl or no thanks

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I just noticed if you pre-order from Amazon & Best Buy, you get a DIGITAL version (via PSN code) of the book that you get for pre-ordering from GameStop.

Not noticing anything about system themes. Maybe that's just an UK bonus? I know in Japan, there was about 3 to 5 of them for the PS3.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
So, you still can't take screenshots in the Vita version but you can on ps4. That sucks.
Oh right, forgot screenshots are disabled in the Vita version. Figured it was some kind of licensing deal ("Hey, you can make this crossover, but people can't take pics.....especially upskirts of the few female characters"), but even weirder PS4 now allows it.

Shinriji

Oh right, forgot screenshots are disabled in the Vita version. Figured it was some kind of licensing deal ("Hey, you can make this crossover, but people can't take pics.....especially upskirts of the few female characters"), but even weirder PS4 now allows it.

With the "quality" of the PS4 port, I think that disabling screenshots was the least of their worries.

How was the reception in Japan? Was it actually a good game? I haven't been following it much and forgot this releases so soon.

Memory

How was the reception in Japan? Was it actually a good game? I haven't been following it much and forgot this releases so soon.

『Inaba Resident』;169945646 said:
iirc, people in japan shit on it for the most part.
I mean, I enjoy this game, but i understand why.

People expected it to be as good and as competitive as the amazing Gundam VS series which uses the same engine and fight format.

J-Stars is a decent fan service brawler but Gundam VS is GOAT, in fact one of the reasons I bought J-Stars was the vain hope they localise the next Gundam VS for PS4, that way don't have to navigate Japanese menu's on my PS3 :).

KarasuEXE

Even after playing the original Japanese one, how they settled on lame-ass Jonathan Joestar as one of the Jojo reps is beyond me.

IIRC, people found Jotaro and DIO in the game files... maybe DLC?

EDIT: Oh yeah, people mentioned this earlier in the thread.

The roster is not the best, JUS had a better selection for older anime but, oh well.

Yeah, I'm hoping for a J-Stars 2 with a bigger and better roster.

People expected it to be as good and as competitive as the amazing Gundam VS series which uses the same engine and fight format.

J-Stars is a decent fan service brawler but Gundam VS is GOAT, in fact one of the reasons I bought J-Stars was the vain hope they localise the next Gundam VS for PS4, that way don't have to navigate Japanese menu's on my PS3 :).

Yeah, thats what I thought. People expected the anime version of the games Gundam VS and what they got wasn't only not that but an average brawler with tons of jank and issues.

KarasuEXE

Really? It's a bit too late now, the game's probably super dead in Japan.

I think that too. Probably, these characters (along with Dai from Dragon Quest and Yoh from Shaman King, also found in the files) were just planned and dropped at some point. :(

Hey guys can't wait to play with you. Here is a wiki containing Bnbs, tips, and strategies for each and every character.I really want to see the community for this game take off, it's pretty good. http://jstars.wiki.fc2.com/

Also I noticed some changes to certain characters when compared to the original JP release.

Luffy
-Ultimate can no longer be teched out of and Gatling loop is gone.

Bobobo
-Don Patch now disappears when Bobobo is hit. Don Patch now only travels straight.

Saiki
- Rocks disappear when out of stamina. Cannot charge stamina with rocks out. Rocks no longer combo into each other and each rock must make a full rotation before it can hit.

Ryotsu
-Tracking reduced on Rocket

Gon
-Ultimate can no longer be teched out of.

Aizen
-Danku is active for less time

Zebra
-Sound Wall is active for less time

Koro-sensei
-Reduced tracking on Rocket

Vegeta
-Big Bang Attack has reduced damage. Big Bang Attack has terrible tracking now. RIP VEGETA

Toriko
-Tracking reduced on Flying Fork

Thanks, my man. It'll suck missing out on the preorder book, but I'm definitely going to cancel. This is completely unacceptable.

I don't think there will ever be a day where I would take Japanese Yusuke over English Yusuke.

Yeah English Yusuke is the definitive version of the character, also young Joseph Joestar or bust!!

Edit: seems he's in!! Young Joseph Joestar>>>>>>>>>>>>>All Other Joestars

Reset

This post is 100% wrong.

You're joking right? Goku's japanese voice actor is awful and should have been fired a long time ago. His english VA is leagues better.

Mizerman

This post is 100% wrong.

No, that is an opinion. One that I'll never agree with.

Anyways, I can't wait to get this game.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Kind of disappointed at no Yugi in this. Would've been cool to just summon duel monsters to fight for you.
I totally would've liked to see something similar with Bakuman, summon characters from the different manga the main characters (or their "rivals") created.

Walpurgis

Banned
I really loved the Dragon Ball Z: Budokai and Budokai Tenkaichi games (Tenkaichi 3 being the greatest thing ever). I also like the Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm games. I don't mind characters having one button to attack or anything like that and am not looking for Street Fighter since I am not competitive. I just want to recreate battles and experience the different characters. I expect that I will spend most of my time playing split screen with my brother. That being said, I cannot tolerate garbage like the Raging Blasts games and Battle of Z (i.e. inferior Tenkaichi ripoffs). Does anyone think that I would like this? I'll probably get it eventually anyways but I just want to know what to expect.

I really loved the Dragon Ball Z: Budokai and Budokai Tenkaichi games (Tenkaichi 3 being the greatest thing ever). I also like the Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm games. I don't mind characters having one button to attack or anything like that and am not looking for Street Fighter since I am not competitive. I just want to recreate battles and experience the different characters. I expect that I will spend most of my time playing split screen with my brother. That being said, I cannot tolerate garbage like the Raging Blasts games and Battle of Z (i.e. inferior Tenkaichi ripoffs). Does anyone think that I would like this? I'll probably get it eventually anyways but I just want to know what to expect.

If you enjoyed those games you listed. I definitely think you'll enjoy this game as well.

Top Bottom