• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

J-Stars Victory VS + |OT| - Subs only, no dubs

Order

It's this.

J-Stars-Victory-VS-Offline-Multiplayer.jpg

Or similar to that.
Yikes, there goes my interest

Yeah... not sure if I'm going to be up to doing it three times. Do any of the sidequests differ or no? If not, I'd probably just breeze through the arc's story quests (that's still a lot of battles, though...)

Yep. It's also something Smash Bros. has which while they're two different games it's still the same reason/application.

If there's ever a sequel for this game (doubt it) that's what they should do instead of the current implementation.
I don't think so. I finished Ichigo's and was doing some of Naruto's.
It was still the same side quests to where I got to in Naruto's (got the first hero emblem fragment)
It's nice having access to the item shop ship upgrades though.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
So once doing the quests in one arc & getting the "do 30 quests" trophy, does it matter if I do them again in another arc?

I also really need to start playing as someone else as Luffy. Medaka feels decent, but I REALLY need to learn Bo-Bobo. His moveset feels awkward.

Also WTF at the Assassination Classroom cameos. You reach the location & there's not even a damn background, and everyone looks so off.

What I find really baffling in the single player is when it randomly forces you to play battles in the other campaigns. I also find it strange that they let you can't do 4 way free for all battles, the game really should have been designed around 1 on 1 on 1 on 1 fights and not 2 v 2's.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yeah, I remember I finally got to the tournament & the game was like "NAH, you need to play the battle of how your opponents met BEFORE fighting them with the actual main characters!" It feels rather out of place &/or like padding. Doesn't help when you have no idea of how the character plays, so most of the match is figuring out combos & the specials.

Oh yeah, last night, I ran into a glitch where voices didn't want to work during an ultimate attack for a few matches, but either would partly work or was completely fixed later on.

Also finally got J-Quiz which is cool, but wonder why it took a while for it to start appearing.

Edit: TARO IS STILL ANNOYING AS HELL, WHY THE HELL WAS HE INCLUDED, I HATE HIM.

What I find really baffling in the single player is when it randomly forces you to play battles in the other campaigns. I also find it strange that they let you can't do 4 way free for all battles, the game really should have been designed around 1 on 1 on 1 on 1 fights and not 2 v 2's.

But that's boring, there are plenty of 1v1 fighters out there. 2v2 allows more character play styles such as characters who focus on supporting your team mate.

But that's boring, there are plenty of 1v1 fighters out there. 2v2 allows more character play styles such as characters who focus on supporting your team mate.

This is the main reason why I am extremely excited for Disdidia Arcade. 3v3

Question, do PS4 users need PS+ to play online?

Thud

Gintama vs SKET-dan is hilarious. Those lines lololol.

Played through luffy campaign and now doing victory road with Jonathon, Gon and Jaguar. Sunlight yellow overdrive does not bore.

Subaru

I tried to warn you guys, I bought the JP version on release and was deeply disappointed. Story mode is garbage and so is the battle system. Zero effort put in by the devs.

Luckly I didn't buy, but my friend did and argh, it's terrible.

I was playing the "J Adventure" mode with Luffy, it's so boring, all the dialogues are one-liners from the characters - there is no story at all, and that annoying song... argh.

Gameplay is terrible too, everything is bad, from the stages (big and full of stuff), to camera, combos and that "invincibility" on wake up is pure garbage.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I find the method of character unlocking to be very irritating. This game should have been so much more than it is.
I like the idea of choosing the order to which you can unlock characters, meaning you can buy your favorites first, but it was a pain that you could only buy so many at a time.

This story mode just goes on forever.

And there's three more? Fuck this.

Thankfully it seems that the side quests are mostly the same in all campaigns so one could speed through just the main content...but man, that's still a lot of fluff.

But eh, I'm already close to getting the platinum..so ehhhh. :(

rhandino

Banned
Played a lot of this in the last few days and my initial impressions so far:

1) Battle mechanics are just too messy and awful and sometimes I feel that the controls are not responsive enough...

2) Adventure mode is pure trash and very repetitive, would have enjoyed some kind of random minigames or battles with varied objectives but... eh...

3) Spli-Screen mode is just to horrrible, there is a lot of design decisions that make it seems that it was a rushed mode included at the last minute, just awful.

4) Characters are nice tho and they have enough original charm to make you check the series that spawned them (I'm now finally seeing Jojo's Bizarre Adventure and after that i'm planning to see Reborn! and Medaka Box)

5) Stages are cool and superdestructible BUT there are not enough of them and some series lack representation. Also preset music is kind of boring but THANK GOD you can change it =P

All in all... buy it at less than 40$. It;s some kind of fun if you enjoy some of the characters and fanservice but it's very very clunky.

Also there is a serioues lack of Saint Seiya representatives in there =P

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Oh that's great too, but the character slots make this annoying.
Yeah, that's the part that I find annoying, especially since it has to be shared with support characters as well. Also the more you unlock, the more annoying the character select screen becomes because of only seeing 8 at a time.

4) Characters are nice tho and they have enough original charm to make you check the series that spawned them (I'm now finally seeing Jojo's Bizarre Adventure and after that i'm planning to see Reborn! and Medaka Box)
I might check out Sket Dance because of this & maybe Hunter x Hunter because of the praise I've heard. Also fair warning about Medaka Box. It pretty much shifts genres not long after the beginning, i.e. after the first season of the anime. It goes from comedy about solving problems to actual shonen battles. So pretty much, the first season of the anime is more about "here's how the team came together" while the second season is more about finding its groove and moving away from the silly situations comedy.

.......the anime also stops RIGHT AS THE MANGA GETS GOOD WHY GAINAX, WHY DIDN'T YOU CONTINUE WHEN YOU INTRODUCED THE BEST VILLAIN OF THE SERIES UUUGGGHHHH

Also fair warning about Medaka Box. It pretty much shifts genres not long after the beginning, i.e. after the first season of the anime. It goes from comedy about solving problems to actual shonen battles. So pretty much, the first season of the anime is more about "here's how the team came together" while the second season is more about finding its groove and moving away from the silly situations comedy.

.......the anime also stops RIGHT AS THE MANGA GETS GOOD WHY GAINAX, WHY DIDN'T YOU CONTINUE WHEN YOU INTRODUCED THE BEST VILLAIN OF THE SERIES UUUGGGHHHH
Sounds like Reborn!, which I really enjoyed. I wish they had finished publishing the manga here in the US, they stopped like halfway. :\

Guess I'll check out the Medaka comic.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I need to go back to Reborn. I remember reading a few volumes in high school via borrowing copies from a friend, but I don't recall getting very far. I think the farthest I recall was "chick in love with side-character whose cooking = poison because it was so bad".

....also the fact the anime changed it from bullets to "streams of different colored lights"

Enjoyed the game well enough the first day I had it, but the appeal's starting to wear off quickly. The fanservice's fun, but the whole game feels unfocused and clunky as all hell. It's Spike, though, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Nice to know I can leave roster stinkers like Madara locked, I suppose.

And as expected, N-B's localization is really poor. Given their quality for Pirate Warriors, I was not surprised in the least at Luffy's dialogue (no, he would never use the word "specimen").

When you guys say the side missions are the same for all four stories, do you mean that they're literally the same (such as the character convos word-for-word)?

I need to go back to Reborn. I remember reading a few volumes in high school via borrowing copies from a friend, but I don't recall getting very far. I think the farthest I recall was "chick in love with side-character whose cooking = poison because it was so bad".

....also the fact the anime changed it from bullets to "streams of different colored lights"

Avoid the Viz translation at all costs; easily the worst localization they've ever put out. Their translations have always had bizarre fascinations with antiquated slang, but Reborn cranks it up to the next level with the protagonist commonly shouting "Holy hat!" and "Holy ham on cheese on rye!". Also, "Deathperation Shot" is a thing that exists.

Series also drops in quality around the halfway point, but up 'till then it's pretty fun. Unlike most, I actually enjoyed its time as a gag manga.

Whats the fastest way to grind out the points to unlock all the characters? The stupid slots mechanic via the friendship meter has got to be the worst way of unlocking chars in any fighting game ever.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
You guys are making me remember BoBoBo never got its anime adaptation finished either (because of the Japanese PTA, at least Toonami ran the whole show though), and Viz basically abandoned the manga. And no one has like finished translating anything past where the show ended either.

I hope this game gets them to revive the BoBoBo anime. Seriously, that'd make my year...

Speaking of BoBoBo, I noticed like everything about him seems to be references from the Halakuni Arc of BoBoBo, which was the first arc Viz localized when it came to the manga...wonder if that was done on purpose?

Overall, I gave this game some more time, and I'm warming up to it...you really gotta get used to the sucky attack lag and invincibility frames though.

YoungOne

yusuke being forced to switch to a form that insta kills him on any hard knock down in burst mode is straight dumb. Who honestly thought that was a good idea?

Canon

Banned
My pre-ordered copy didn't come with any digital compendium.

Is it supposed to be a code in the box or something? Where should it be?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I'm enjoying the game so far, but I'm wondering. What is this "Cross-Voice" option in the gallery?
Took me a while to figure it out, but it's basically the unique dialogue before each match. So like, if you have Goku & Vegeta on the same team, it might trigger a special intro where they talk to each other. Same goes if they're on opposite teams. The annoying part though is that they won't always trigger. Might take a few attempts. I'll have to see if there's a list somewhere. Though I do know there's a video for the JPN version showing all of them off, but I can't find it for some damn reason.

Edit: FINALLY, holy crap. Looks like it's not the same video since it's for the US version, but it'll work. Crossover Quotes Part 1 & Part 2

& yes, you can buy Kenshiro as your first unlockable if you want. Just play a few matches to earn some points & buy him first. You can buy who you want in any order.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Who do you guys might think we might see in a sequel? This game did well enough for one, right?

I think One Piece will probably add another crew member, like Zoro, Nami, Usopp, or Sanji since they're what I consider to be sort of the OC and have the most overall appeal. And probably another villain...Crocodile has the legacy, but at the moment Donflamingo is pretty much a major player so maybe him to represent some new blood. I honestly sort of want Akainu and Boa to be bumped to support though...

I hope Dragon Ball moves away from Saiyans, really don't want to see Gohan, Trunks, or Gotenks. Personally Piccolo would be my top choice, but I also think Mr. Satan as a joke character would be pretty amazing. I don't know if they'd consider using Beerus since his only manga appearance are the movie tie-in chapters, which I think was in a different magazine. Oh, and Kid Goku would be neat.

As for JoJo, I think they'll definitely add Jotaro, and probably DIO as well. I imagine they strayed away from the original as the anime production had yet to begin, but now that it's completed, I bet we'll see Stardust Crusaders stuff. I wouldn't be surprised if Kakyoin or Polnareff get in as well, at least as support characters.

I'd love to see YYH round out the cast by adding both Kurama and Kuwabara, but if I had to choose I might go with Kurama since no other character uses whips and plants to fight while Kuwabara isn't as versatile and unique.

Naruto, I think we might see Sakura to complete the main trio and for more girls, and probably either Kakashi or Rock Lee due to popularity. I also wonder if they'd ever consider using Bolt, or is he too new like Beerus?

Gintama will probably promote Kagura to playable, but I'd love to see Katsura, only for the fact you could probably incorporate Elizabeth running around with her signs as part of his move-set. Also have all his unique Cross-Talks have the other characters call him the wrong name.

Hisoka seems like the next obvious Hunter x Hunter representative, and it's a surprise he wasn't playable here honestly. I'm not that far into Hunter x Hunter so I don't know who'd be the next most likely character, but from where I watched up to Kurapika would be my choice.

From Otokojuku, make Edajima playable, and maybe J?

I hope they spin Don Patch off into his own character, maybe give BoBoBo Dengakuman instead and throw in the DenBo fusion...no BoBoBo fusions was a big disappointment for me. Heppokomaru would be pretty neat.

D. Gray Man is getting a new manga soon I read, so maybe Allen will be promoted to playable?

Kinnikuman is my most wanted New Series. In addition to Kinnikuman, probably Robin Mask or Ramenman.

Yugi would also be amazing, summoning monsters and everything. I'd also love to see Kaiba as well.

Yoh from Shaman King. Ultimate Stars I think had Anna as playable, as that'd be nice for more girls, but I'd love to see Ryu.

It's a pretty niche series, but I loved Muhyo and Roji, and would love to see them as a team-character.

Sena from Eyeshield 21, because I feel like football is a sport that doesn't seem as out of place in a fighter.

My Hero Academy has a lock I think unless its popularity dies...except I wonder how they'd do Deku's move-set, although I imagine he might be a more traditional fighter as the series progresses. The girl who controls gravity, forgot her name, would be a cool secondary character for more girls, but Bakugo and Todoroki will probably get in over her for having cooler, more battle-ready powers.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Considering the outroar for Shaman King & Yu-Gi-Oh, those two might appear, even if it's support. I still would love the idea of taking the concept of Yami from Jump Ultimate Stars & applying it to Bakuman, except summoning the characters from the mangas that the characters drew throughout the series. Hell, go further & have them summon characters from the other artists from the series.

Jotaro, I wouldn't mind either way (I said before it was nice to see OTHER Jojo characters be represented in a crossover), but DIO would be kind of cooler to be honest since it'd give us another villain, plus I just want to use ROOOOAD ROOOOLLLLAAAAADDDDDAAAAAA.

I haven't read Hero Academy, but it seems to be a series that's picking up steam, so that could work.

Yeah, bring Sena back. You got basketball & volleyball, yet a FOOTBALL PLAYER didn't make it in? Just have him do a tackle or something. It'd be boring/not as helpful, sure, but it'd still work.

Now that you mention it, yeah, the fact you can't turn into DenBo or Bobo-Patch or freakin' Bobo-Patchiggler (which were easily my favorite episodes) or SOMEONE is disappointing. Heck, I'd totally take Don-Patch being playable with either Jelly Jiggler as his "partner" or as an assist (maybe defects attacks?).

Work in Shokugeki no Soma somehow. Maybe as an assist & Soma cooks up one of his "experimental" dishes and then if it hits the opponent, they're paralyzed or move slower or something.

Nagisa from Assassination Classroom, while probably not able to be fleshed into playable, EASILY could work as a support character.

Maybe someone from World Trigger? That's a SJ series. Oh, & Space Cobra. That was SJ, make him assist.

MAKE KUMAGAWA PLAYABLE.

Manu

So I was trying to take some good screenshots for my review of the game, and found out you can't take screenshots while an attack animation is playing.

Also, the screenshots have a copyright watermark inside a big black rectangle.

Can you do something right just for once, game? Just fucking once.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
The menus in this game make me wanna punch a hole in the wall.

but mannnn this game is...not good....Battle Stadium D.O.N (which isn't all that) is a lot more fun than this....IMO

Fanservice 10 out of 10....everything else ehhhh

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Ugh, Victory Road is more repetitive than it should be. Doesn't help you only unlock the ability to choose any battle you want in a certain "area" AFTER BEATING EVERY SINGLE FIGHT. Sure, it's helpful for going back to the stages with challenges, but I have more than enough points now considering I unlocked everyone & got 100 J-cards.

Also need to see if I can still fight those ships & those tower challenges in J-Adventure considering I beat the arc as Luffy. Just hope that considering I don't have to focus on side quests in the other arcs & have the faster ship parts, it won't take as long compared to the first playthrough.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
So you can't take screenshots while attacking? ANY kind of attack? Really? That makes no sense. My only guess is characters like Medaka wear skirts & if at the right angle, allows for upskirts (pink, btw), so Namco/Shonen Jump/someone didn't want those kinds of screenshots from happening. Though that's a bit of a stretch considering that's only.....what, TWO characters (girl from Nisekoi is the only other) out of the entire cast with a skirt.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
DAMN YOU OPPONENT METER well that throws my theory out the window then.

So how much longer do I have for Victory Road, considering I unlocked the 2nd "area" & a bonus location for the first area?

DAMN YOU OPPONENT METER well that throws my theory out the window then.

So how much longer do I have for Victory Road, considering I unlocked the 2nd "area" & a bonus location for the first area?
There's another one in the 2nd area if you haven't gotten it.
Temple of Athena.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Guessing it's unlocked the same way, i.e. beat every single fight in the area. I just started the 2nd area with Inferno Crags, but gonna do the "secret" location in area 1.

I guess my mains so far are Vegeta & Luffy, with my support being Kagura.

Yeah I'm pretty sure I unlocked it by getting 100% Battles for the areas in the 1st continent.

Right now I'm using Boa Hancock, Vegeta, and Frieza (Support).

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Oh god a battle with THREE Taros. It's like the game knew the character I hated the most & decided to triple it.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Had to take a break from Victory Road & went to do Ichigo's arc in J-Adventure. It's going faster since I'm ignoring quests & have the faster ship parts, but holy crap, the padding is probably even WORSE here. I'm on my 3rd battle that has nothing to do with the characters I'm playing as, plus the same annoying padding from the Luffy arc (i.e "oh noes your friends were possessed, go get the item & then fight them").

I GUESS the logic was "switch up the characters to play as so it's not as boring", which fair enough, it can be repetitive if you play as the same few characters, but this was NOT the way to do it. I already know certain characters teamed up, WHY IN THE WORLD DO I HAVE TO DO THE BATTLE TO SEE THAT THEY DID SO WHEN THEY JUST SAID THEY TEAMED UP?!

Or even more annoying, the game decides to cut away & be all "MEANWHILE, ON THE SHIP OF SOME OTHER CHARACTERS THAT HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH YOUR CHARACTERS AT THE MOMENT", & the fact it's most likely in every single arc makes it worse. Some might be slightly different, but it all feels like pointless padding in the end.

......also, I both wish there was subtitles during Ultimate Attacks & a way to skip the damn animations.

Edit: NOOOOOOOOOOOOO, I gotta do the "Kenshin meets Momotaro to team up BUT YOU BETTER BATTLE TO MAKE SURE THAT'S WHAT REEAAALLLYYY HAPPENED!" filler fight in THIS arc as well!? This is the 4th damn filler fight so far. & I fear there's gonna be a fifth one while I get those keys again...

I've been playing this casually since I got it a week ago for my birthday and the community is still there for the online part of the game on the VITA at least so I don't see why it shouldn't be for the PS4 as well.

Kenshiro is suprisingly
fun.

I really like playing as Toriko, Killua and Medaka the most though.

Madao

i can't seem to find info about this so i'll ask here.

is it possible to import save data from the PS3 version to the PS4 version? the PS4 version is on sale for $20 right now and it'd be nice for me if this was possible since i could get rid of my old PS3 version.

Top Bottom