• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

J-Stars Victory VS + |OT| - Subs only, no dubs

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
OKAY, WHAT.

So I'm playing the J-Adventure & Hancock is talking to Gintoki and making Jojo references......and Gintoki CLEARLY says "Crazy Diamond", which is the name of a Stand from Part 4.

.......but in Jojo All-Star Battle, IT WAS CHANGED. They had it be "Shining Diamond" for the text, despite the character still saying "Crazy Diamond".

I don't know, that just seems really bizarre (hur hur) that Namco would change it for one game, but then leave it for another.

LegatoB

OKAY, WHAT.

So I'm playing the J-Adventure & Hancock is talking to Gintoki and making Jojo references......and Gintoki CLEARLY says "Crazy Diamond", which is the name of a Stand from Part 4.

.......but in Jojo All-Star Battle, IT WAS CHANGED. They had it be "Shining Diamond" for the text, despite the character still saying "Crazy Diamond".

I don't know, that just seems really bizarre (hur hur) that Namco would change it for one game, but then leave it for another.
When and where Stand names are changed, and to what, is half the fun of any Jojo's (or Jojo's-related) release!

OKAY, WHAT.

Oh someone else noticed. Yeah I'm not sure what to think of Bamco's translations now. It just seems really inconsistent across all their localizations. Having the stand names get fucked around with at this point is part of the charm now. That and the fun ways they try to dodge copyright.

Also everytime Kumagawa mentions Shounen Jump it's always mentioned in all caps "WEEKLY SHOUNEN JUMP" as if to place some incredible importance on it. Oh Bamco you

Kumagawa and Gintoki are the best characters in the game. And I'm pretty sure they made fun of J-Stars in the Gintama Jump Festa 2015 OVA as well

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Oh yeah, I remember the line was like "Bandai Namco worked really hard on that though!"

But I'm getting TONS of slowdown, offline, in the PS3 version to the point the already clunky battle system is like unbearable.

Which Story Mode features Gintoki, though? I encountered him in Naruto's, but as an event and he didn't join me.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Gintoki has appeared a bit in Luffy's story. There was even 2 fights with you controlling him.

so how does everyone like this game? I was kind of shock when i first saw the drawings of the characters...it looks like someone from deviantart created it for story mode lol

Some of the lines Luffy's saying seem like they wouldn't really fit him at all...

But as far as goofy fanservice covered in a light-game goes, this isn't so bad.

God that splitscreen is just pure garbage juice though. Good lord.

so how does everyone like this game? I was kind of shock when i first saw the drawings of the characters...it looks like someone from deviantart created it for story mode lol

It's probably my favorite game of all time. The Luckyman characters look hella funny in story

Some of the lines Luffy's saying seem like they wouldn't really fit him at all...

But as far as goofy fanservice covered in a light-game goes, this isn't so bad.

God that splitscreen is just pure garbage juice though. Good lord.

Yeah a lot of stuff the characters say don't even fit the characters or make sense. I think one of Ichigo's win quotes are like "I did it? I won? I am Victorious!". I think it's just an iffy translation though.

OKAY, WHAT.

tumblr_nqscdmlSVe1r14626o1_400.jpg

tumblr_nqscdmlSVe1r14626o2_400.jpg

Yeah, that was weird.

It's probably my favorite game of all time. The Luckyman characters look hella funny in story

Yeah a lot of stuff the characters say don't even fit the characters or make sense. I think one of Ichigo's win quotes are like "I did it? I won? I am Victorious!". I think it's just an iffy translation though.

Oh man, I was thinking the exact same thing but I didn't want to sound picky. Ichigo would never say something like "I am victorious!" That's some Chinese bootleg subtitle material right there...

This game's translation really makes me upset.

Manu

So I'm playing this and I'm enjoying it, but why on Earth is this 30 fps? It looks like a PS2 game.

Is this the kind of game that would be rare to buy in a few years?

Although I'm not a huge fan of this game, I might buy it if it goes $30 if it becomes rare in the future.

rhandino

Banned
God, While I'm enjoying the characters and kind of dig the Adventure Mode I honestly can't deal with this clunky mess of battle system. Ugh

At least It managed to make my brother and I remember a lot of manga and anime we used to follow back in the day and and I'm now very intrigued by Reborn and Medaka Kurokami, with her mostly because her series seems to be written by Nisio Isin
(I completely love the first season of Bakemonogatari and the Koyomi Vamp LN)
so slay I guess =P

Although I'm not a huge fan of this game, I might buy it if it goes $30 if it becomes rare in the future.
Wait for it to go cheap in one of the Golden Week sales or something... =/

Ferrio

Banned
The one piece character choices baffle me. Luffy and Ace I get... but Boa and
ace hole puncher
are odd.

God, While I'm enjoying the characters and kind of dig the Adventure Mode I honestly can't deal with this clunky mess of battle system. Ugh

At least It managed to make my brother and I remember a lot of manga and anime we used to follow back in the day and and I'm now very intrigued by Reborn and Medaka Kurokami, with her mostly because her series seems to be written by Nisio Isin
(I completely love the first season of Bakemonogatari and the Koyomi Vamp LN)
so slay I guess =P

Wait for it to go cheap in one of the Golden Week sales or something... =/

Somewhat off-topic, but do you know if Dragon Ball Z Xenoverse similar to this is gameplay mechanics? Thinking about trying it out, but this game is making me not want to try that game out. This game has potential, but combat is too slow and tedious.

Namikaze

Is this the kind of game that would be rare to buy in a few years?

I really doubt it. Don't forget you can always get a digital copy even if the physical version gets rare.

Any reviews? Is the game any good?

Not really. I'm a massive fan of most of the series represented in this game and it still isn't THAT good. Combat is pretty simplistic but overall, it's fun in short bursts.

Also, I imported the original release and I'm incredibly disappointed in the PS4 port. It looks like the Vita version with slightly better textures and..actually that's the only difference I can personally see. It's still 30FPS, there is still some slowdown etc. I don't see why they didn't at least add some good AA.

rhandino

Banned
Somewhat off-topic, but do you know if Dragon Ball Z Xenoverse similar to this is gameplay mechanics? Thinking about trying it out, but this game is making me not want to try that game out. This game has potential, but combat is too slow and tedious.
Sorry, haven't played it personally (mostly because I don't like Dragon Ball) but my brother has played LOT of Xenoverse and he said that is very enjoyable and mechanically good... just not as good as Budokai Tenkaichi 3 for him but very enjoyable in great part because the character customization and story mode =P

Vex_

Banned

If youre looking for more depth, xenoverse is like going backwards. This game actually is more in depth than XV due to combat being grounded and lack of combobreaking defensive options.

You can only approach an enemy from the front in XV. In Jstars, you can approach an enemy in a number of directions.

In xenoverse, if you are being hit, you can instantly vanish out of combos. In jstars, the only way to get out of combos is with a character ability, or perfect timing of block.(minus assists)

I enjoyed xv for what it was. I played it to max level, but that game still has serious issues that break the gameplay.

These are anime games, so they both arent EVO material anyways.

Namikaze

Xenoverse has tighter, faster and overall better combat.

Probably runs at 30fps because they included split screen. Or is split screen even worse?

Not sure about split screen but it's supposedly 30FPS because going any higher would have messed with how the game plays or something. So basically, they were lazy, lol.

Sorry, haven't played it personally (mostly because I don't like Dragon Ball) but my brother has played LOT of Xenoverse and he said that is very enjoyable and mechanically good... just not as good as Budokai Tenkaichi 3 for him but very enjoyable in great part because the character customization and story mode =P

Last Dragon Ball Z game I played was the regular Budokai games, which were more traditional fighting games. I never played the Tenkaichi series or any other DBZ games with that gameplay structure, so I just need to get more used to these kinds of games :)

If youre looking for more depth, xenoverse is like going backwards. This game actually is more in depth than XV due to combat being grounded and lack of combobreaking defensive options.

You can only approach an enemy from the front in XV. In Jstars, you can approach an enemy in a number of directions.

In xenoverse, if you are being hit, you can instantly vanish out of combos. In jstars, the only way to get out of combos is with a character ability, or perfect timing of block.(minus assists)

I enjoyed xv for what it was. I played it to max level, but that game still has serious issues that break the gameplay.

These are anime games, so they both arent EVO material anyways.

I just going to rent Xenoverse to see if I like it;I'm new to these kinds of anime fighting games :)

Vex_

Banned
I just going to rent Xenoverse to see if I like it;I'm new to these kinds of anime fighting games :)

Just a small tip: dont go into pvp immediately. Even if you dont use your own created character, your story characters will take on your level. (Ex: if you are level 2, your Goku will be level 2). You will get murdered...

Kysen

Wow this game is horrible... everything is bad, except the characters.

I'm really disappointed...

I tried to warn you guys, I bought the JP version on release and was deeply disappointed. Story mode is garbage and so is the battle system. Zero effort put in by the devs.

Manu

There's no excuse for this performance. I rented the game with the expectations of buying it, but I can't give Namco $60 for such a lazy port :(

I got a review copy from the site I write for. My impressions probably wouldn't be so positive had I paid for it.

Also, is this upscaled 720p? It certainly looks like it.

Revven

I think it's fun enough once you get past the initial clunkiness of the combat. At the same time, the combat is still... odd even if you get used to it. Jumps have a weighty feeling to them, like they built them to be something you commit to -- when there's very little benefit to try and do any jump attacks beyond your specials. Even when you get them into the juggle state you can't air combo them, it's just a moment for your partner to hit triangle to knock them back to the ground. :/

Then there's the overall delay sometimes in being able to attack after blocking. You can't effectively punish something that's clearly supposed to be punishable on block. If you don't have a command grab, good luck being able to punish them because most of the time you'll trade hits or the opponent will win out the trade somehow. The first punch of any character has a ton of startup for some reason as well.

And I haven't even talked about the invincibility frames after getting knocked down. These are reduced from the original release? It must not have been much because it's still an issue in this game. I understand having invincibility frames on get-up animations but it's extremely rare for fighting games of any kind to extend those invinc. frames to the idle animations or just standing in general. The invinc. frames should end once you've gotten up. I shouldn't have to stand there waiting, blocking because you have the adv. due to invinc frames and I'm forced to wait for them to wear off. At the same time, I understand why they have them (constantly getting hit in a 2v1 situation wouldn't be fun and there's no options to break out of them) but I'd think invinc. frames on just the get-up animations would be fine...

How it should be is this: invincibility frames on get-up animations, add options to the person on the ground to do a get-up attack that has invincibility frames. The get-up attack covers a wide enough area around the character to knock opponents away from any side around them, thus putting both players back into a neutral state. Bam, problem solved. And the opponent(s) could also block the get-up attack, which would force neutral again. Get-up attack would also solve any 2v1 combo'd situation as long as you're on the ground.

The game forces you to work around these strange design decisions and it... kind of comes together when you've gotten used to it but again it doesn't mean it's good lol.

I've been playing the first arc of J-Adventure and goodness if you try to do all the sidequests and the story stuff you're looking at close to 8-10 hours on just one arc alone. Unless each arc is shorter from this point forward, otherwise you're looking at a story mode of almost 35-40 hours (there's 4 arcs) if you do every sidequest and the main story quests. Not going to lie, though, this first arc has been tiring me already because the combat is so barebones and gets stale against the CPU.

patchday

I suppose this might be a must buy for me at some point. I'm familiar with almost all of those characters. Didn't realize I was this hooked on anime

Disappointed to see you guys not liking the game. Oh well, it is what it is

I mean I like the game..sorta. It's not completely awful if you know exactly what you're going in for. It's just when you have something like JUS on the DS to compare it too..you can understand why me and others are dissapointed. It's very low-tier fanservice, but fanservice none the less.

That splitscreen tho, is indeed completely, utterly, without any doubt awful as all hell.

TDLink

I mean I like the game..sorta. It's not completely awful if you know exactly what you're going in for. It's just when you have something like JUS on the DS to compare it too..you can understand why me and others are dissapointed. It's very low-tier fanservice, but fanservice none the less.

That splitscreen tho, is indeed completely, utterly, without any doubt awful as all hell.

I have to agree here. I really want them to make another JSS/JUS style game. I imported both back in the day and got a lot of play out of them. Even did some download play with friends and got another one to import JUS as well. It's too bad they've seemed to abandon that style for this type of thing.

I'm still enjoying it for what it is and am happy to support the release in the west...but the game is really pretty janky and designed with the bare minimum combat options. There's just really not a whole lot of moveset depth with any of the characters. And some of the character choices are very random at the cost of some obvious choices not even being in the game.

Oh, and the decision to do split screen they way it is was absolutely atrocious. I don't know how they thought that was okay. If it's "due to the aspect ratio" or something....then just change the aspect ratio. So many games do split screen and don't do it like this.

Revven

What's wrong with spltiscreen? Is it not just a vertical split in the middle of the screen ala Dragon Ball Raging Blast/Raging Blast 2? I haven't tried it yet but I was most certainly interested in playing this with a friend in VS or otherwise and if the splitscreen is unbearably awful then... -_-

Dragoshi1

What's wrong with spltiscreen? Is it not just a vertical split in the middle of the screen ala Dragon Ball Raging Blast/Raging Blast 2? I haven't tried it yet but I was most certainly interested in playing this with a friend in VS or otherwise and if the splitscreen is unbearably awful then... -_-

It's this.

J-Stars-Victory-VS-Offline-Multiplayer.jpg

Or similar to that.

Revven

It's this.

J-Stars-Victory-VS-Offline-Multiplayer.jpg

Or similar to that.

...What the heck. I would have much preferred a straight vert. split like Tenkaichi or Raging Blast do it and then the respective meters on each players screen and the victory burst meter at the center. Definite no need for what they did... :/

There's lots of wasted real estate by putting the map on each player's screen and the timer, wtf.

How it should be is this: invincibility frames on get-up animations, add options to the person on the ground to do a get-up attack that has invincibility frames. The get-up attack covers a wide enough area around the character to knock opponents away from any side around them, thus putting both players back into a neutral state. Bam, problem solved. And the opponent(s) could also block the get-up attack, which would force neutral again. Get-up attack would also solve any 2v1 combo'd situation as long as you're on the ground.

I had the same idea as well. I'm baffled that none of the developers thought of having this in the game to combat double-teaming.
It would have made online matches at least slightly better.

Revven

Disappointed that (from what I've played) the arcs are basically the same.

Yeah... not sure if I'm going to be up to doing it three times. Do any of the sidequests differ or no? If not, I'd probably just breeze through the arc's story quests (that's still a lot of battles, though...)

I had the same idea as well. I'm baffled that none of the developers thought of having this in the game to combat double-teaming.
It would have made online matches at least slightly better.

Yep. It's also something Smash Bros. has which while they're two different games it's still the same reason/application.

If there's ever a sequel for this game (doubt it) that's what they should do instead of the current implementation.

Top Bottom