• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

J-Stars Victory VS + |OT| - Subs only, no dubs

Well I played it for like an hour. I like it for what it is. It's kind of shallow fanservice fun, but whatever, we're going to enjoy it (my friends and myself).

Tempted to give this a go on Vita, any issues with that version or is it lacking in any modes/characters compared with the PS4 version?

Also, what are the options for difficulty in the arcade and adventure modes?

No difficulty level for the J-Adventure, Arcade has a good amount of difficulties though they need to be unlocked.

Thanks for that. How is the Adventure difficulty level? Heard parts of the game are a bit unbalanced. What are the starter levels in arcade? Take it the higher stuff are the unlockables?

I'm early in the J-Adventure so far it's been really easy. You start with 3 Arcade levels, how they are done is a bit odd. Each arcade choice has their own theme (Like Powerful characters, or from the 80's ect.), though they do put a difficulty level on each by giving it stars. The ones you start out with are the easiest.

I had the PS3 Anison Edition, decided to pick up the localized PS4 version to support strange localization choices

There is some really top notch fan-service in the game. There's a pretty good reference to one of the more lesser known arcs in Gintama, and it involves ghosts, stands, hot tubs, and Boa Hancock.

I noticed the translation quality is... Kinda iffy? The ones I noticed were the ones posted by AnkiRendan. The wording on some of the dialogue subtitles is awkward as well. They also spelt Madao wrong, it's not 'MEDAO'. Bamco pls

But at the same time they kept the quotations around Kumakawa's speech, and translated Shinpachi's straight man bubbles, so I guess they did something right.

Also are the custom song imports even in the PS4 version at all? On PS3 it was I think in the BGM editor and all it did was bring you to the music part of the XMB and you select individual songs to import.

rhandino

Banned
fy42img.png

Bought and downloading rn

VXoVshf.gif

I didn't even knew this was going to be released today o_O but I needed to support this after the sad mess that was that we never got Jump Ultimate Stars.

Also are the custom song imports even in the PS4 version at all? On PS3 it was I think in the BGM editor and all it did was bring you to the music part of the XMB and you select individual songs to import.

Yeah when I go to the BGM editor in them menu and when I select a song to change, it only brings up: "Original" and only three versions of "Fighting Stars" are listed.

Like, what am I supposed to do to put the songs I want in the game for the PS4?

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Is there a good guide for this game anywhere? Really confused especially about the Story Mode stuff like items, the Effort/Friendship/Triump shit, etc.

I need to get some tunes for the game though...wonder if I can find some good looped version of the OP themes and such...it's been awhile, but isn't there a way to send music from your Laptop directly to the PS3 without need of a USB? Anyone know how to do that?

-Horizon-

If you own all three see which factor is the most important, if you don't want to pay a premium for the ps4 version since it's still 30fps and has slowdowns not present in the other versions buy it on ps3/vita, if you want it portable buy it on vita. They're cross-play anyway.
There's slow down on the ps4 version?
Slowly but surely pushing me towards the vita version.

ss-hikaru

I like the preorder book, it's a good quick reference for those older characters i'm not familiar with :) can't wait to play story mode, I started Ichigo's route on the JP Vita version and it was pretty fun! Just hard going cos my Japanese isn't great. Now to get a PS4 ...

I'm disappointed, oddly enough, that they haven't milked this game with DLC. I'd buy a shit load of alternate outfits and music and all kinds of crap.

Same, so maybe it's for the better :p

Namikaze

I bought the PS4 version, a few things:

-I had the original release on Vita and it looks like all they did was upscale it for PS4..it really doesn't look that different. It does sound a lot better and I love the PS4 controller so it's still the best version for me.

-The J compendium book is really cheap, I actually think the Japanese preorder book was higher quality after flipping through them both.

PS4 or Vita version? Worst the extra to get it on PS4?

PS4 online is more active. The stages on ps4 are slightly different too.They have more destructibles. The texture and move animations look a bit better. Whether it's worth the extra money or not, it all depends if you care about online mode.

CitrusStorm

Unconfirmed Member
So, I just picked this up, and I'm seriously confused.

Why is my only character select option in the free battle mode random?

RedBoot

Press R1/L1 to change the pages of characters

Yeah, took me a minute to figure that out when I started yesterday. The whole character selection screen/process is clunky, there's only 8 characters per page, you have to slowly navigate around each box, etc. Good thing Adventure mode saves your last used team. People really need to get that aspect of UI design right, Smash really gets a lot out of its simple selection process.

Game's pretty fun otherwise. Not seeing any slowdown on PS4 yet.

Yeah, took me a minute to figure that out when I started yesterday. The whole character selection screen/process is clunky, there's only 8 characters per page, you have to slowly navigate around each box, etc. Good thing Adventure mode saves your last used team. People really need to get that aspect of UI design right, Smash really gets a lot out of its simple selection process.

Game's pretty fun otherwise. Not seeing any slowdown on PS4 yet.

Yeah. I see what there were going for with manga panels but it ends up being kinda annoying to cycle through all those characters. Luckily in online play the character select is much more streamlined.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Wow, so turned out there was some shipping mistake or something, so my PS3 copy didn't arrive until today, which worked out since I had to wait until today to print out a $25 gift coupon (total came out to be about $6.70). Now to wait for class to finish before I get to play it...

CitrusStorm

Unconfirmed Member
Press R1/L1 to change the pages of characters

Well, I've only got 8 characters at the moment, so I can't cycle through any pages. I'm still stuck on "random select" for all of the character windows. Am I really stuck with only random selection until I get more than 9 characters?

EDIT: Nevermind, JUST NOW figured it out. Damn, this is one of the most confusing and nasty char. select systems.

Canon

Banned
Amazon still hasn't shipped this so I won't be getting it until next week, and I'm kind of regretting buying it knowing it's cheaper on PSN and it has a theme.

I'm wired on a 1GB/1GB line, so the problem isn't me :p

Is the connection stability completely dependent on the host I guess? I haven't actually hosted a room yet.

It has nothing to do with the host but yeah like it was said earlier in the topic, it takes one person with questionable connection to ruin it for everyone else. And usually it isn't just 1 person with a bad connection so online tends to be very very laggy.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Ugh, PS3 updated with 4.75, but then the game has to update with 1.01 that's 105MB. Guess it's a sign to get my homework done before I play.

It has nothing to do with the host but yeah like it was said earlier in the topic, it takes one person with questionable connection to ruin it for everyone else. And usually it isn't just 1 person with a bad connection so online tends to be very very laggy.
That's definitely annoying. Ugh.

Dominator

I picked it up yesterday but I can't say I'm a huge fan. I like the fan service aspects but the fighting is... weak. The 2-3 second cool down the opponents have after you attack them is maddening. I should be able to keep attacking, not wait a few seconds until I can punch again. It breaks up the flow of the fights for me.

The special moves are really cool though, I'll give it that.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
WOW, WTF. So I was doing a fight and it just kept freezing every few seconds for a brief second. It was with 4 characters at the same time, but damn, for PS3, this shouldn't be an issue.

& what's the deal with these "slots" when you buy new characters? Edit: Oh, so you gotta level up "Friendship" to earn the ability to buy more characters. You just have the option to choose the order to which you unlock them in. I kind of like that, get your favorites first without an "unlock order" or conditions.

I picked it up yesterday but I can't say I'm a huge fan. I like the fan service aspects but the fighting is... weak. The 2-3 second cool down the opponents have after you attack them is maddening. I should be able to keep attacking, not wait a few seconds until I can punch again. It breaks up the flow of the fights for me.

The special moves are really cool though, I'll give it that.

Most chars if not all bnbs send characters far enough that by the time they get back to you, their invincibility is gone. It also prevents you from guard breaking or locking down people down on wake up.

WOW, WTF. So I was doing a fight and it just kept freezing every few seconds for a brief second. It was with 4 characters at the same time, but damn, for PS3, this shouldn't be an issue.
Yeah I have no idea why the freezing or pausing the games does offline happens. It was not present in the Japanese release. There is also a bug with voices cutting
out.

Ugh, PS3 updated with 4.75, but then the game has to update with 1.01 that's 105MB. Guess it's a sign to get my homework done before I play.
I have not got this patch, I wonder what it does.

so if i buy the vita version, can i play online against other consoles or just other vita peoples?
Just Vita

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Man, I REALLY wish you could skip cutscenes. I don't want to see the Victory Burst or certain special attack animations, which is strange because the O-button attacks have nice & quick animations.

& from what I'm hearing, you can grind the online-related trophies by yourself? Least that's what PlaystationTrophies.org is saying.

Also, what're some of the Combination Bonuses for the J-Deck, aside from stuff like characters from the same series?

Edit: It's also weird how that in Jojo All-Star Battle, they showed the subtitles for attacks & taunts, but here....nope. I fully understand that it'd be harder for the game to just have them when characters do normal attacks because 4 to 6 characters can be on the screen at once.

Rented from Gamefly, but I'm confused regarding the fighting system. It's been a VERY long time I played a Dragon Ball Z type of fighting game, so I'm not sure how to get better at this game since I don't understand the game mechanics. Any tips? There's no training mode :(

Somewhat off-topic, but how similar is Dragon Ball Xenoverse?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yeah you can grind the online related trophies by yourself. You can play alone in a lobby to wait for it to fill up. Here is the list of combination bonuses http://www.yareyaredaze.com/2014/04/05/j-stars-victory-vs-card-list-translations/
Oh thank goodness. You can even set private slots as well, so I might as well do that. & thanks for the link.

I remember Jump Ultimate Stars did that & the only two characters from different series I could remember was Yami & Bo-Bobo because it was referencing this:

latest

zulux21

Is there split-screen coop for the story mode?

there is, and it works well enough, but I would have preferred less of a hub and more of a screen for each screen as the screen is tiny for both players.

also screw time limits so hard -_-

I get if there is a story reason for it, but I hate random time limits in general especially in games like this. I hate them I hate them I hate them -_- I have already lost a number of matches because I prefer to do some dodging and hit enemies when they are not attacking but that just leads me to losing because while I am up 2 kos to none and have most of my life still and they are almost dead again at time out they win :/

farisr

Man, I knew this was mainly a fanservicey game, but I thought the gameplay at least would be responsive/decent (I knew not to expect too much depth). I played for an hour so far, It feels clunky., definitely not responsive enough for my friend to enjoy it (who I was mainly planning on playing this with).

Will give it another hour or so but shoot, I may have to sell this game. So much potential...

Uraizen

Banned
If you own all three see which factor is the most important, if you don't want to pay a premium for the ps4 version since it's still 30fps and has slowdowns not present in the other versions buy it on ps3/vita, if you want it portable buy it on vita. They're cross-play anyway.

Say what now?

zulux21

Man, I knew this was mainly a fanservicey game, but I thought the gameplay at least would be responsive/decent (I knew not to expect too much depth). I played for an hour so far, It feels clunky., definitely not responsive enough for my friend to enjoy it (who I was mainly planning on playing this with).

Will give it another hour or so but shoot, I may have to sell this game. So much potential...

i need to try it without simple controls sometime. I put them on because I didn't want to have to think about combos, but some of the characters have moves I would rather just avoid all together :/

Top Bottom