• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jane Jensen's Pinkerton Road Kickstarter project [Ended, $435K funded]

MBison

Gk3 was not attractive but it was decent enough. Still it had a great story, as usual ahead of its time. Plus if you played all three games, the end cinematic how to tug at your heart strings a little!

I hope she truly is going old school. A GK1 like adventure with sharp backdrops, HD art, solid 10-15 hour length, lots of complex puzzles etc.

The first game was originally on floppies, but then when the cd-rom version came out, it was in SVGA and had voice acting.

I actually lost interest with GK2, I didn't like the live action stuff much. Worked for the Tex Murphy games, but they did it from day one. It was a pretty big shift from beautiful hand drawn art to digitized actors, as well as going from Tim Curry & Mark Hamil (great voice actors) to people who were not great actors....

Well, actually FMV did not happen to Tex Murphy until the third game. The first two were more conventional (and very crappy UIs).

Tex Murphy did do FMV very well. One of the few games to pull it off successfully, and maybe the only Adventure.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The first game was originally on floppies, but then when the cd-rom version came out, it was in SVGA and had voice acting.

I actually lost interest with GK2, I didn't like the live action stuff much. Worked for the Tex Murphy games, but they did it from day one. It was a pretty big shift from beautiful hand drawn art to digitized actors, as well as going from Tim Curry & Mark Hamil (great voice actors) to people who were not great actors....
It's funny, because the FMV sequences in GK2 inspired me to take German. I wanted to visit that castle so badly. lol

What i kind of interface you want to see on the new Jane Jensen Adventure?

GK1
menu.JPG

37-36.jpg

GK2
gabriel_knight_2_1.jpg

gabriel_knight_2_2.jpg

GK3
gk3-16.jpg

gk3-6.jpg

I'm not going to make baseless claims on the games, because I never played any of them. But aesthetically, I think this series got progressively worse looking with each sequel. The hand painted artwork of the first game aged much better than 2 or 3, in my opinion.

Though, I'm sure they are still all enjoyable games. I'm mostly commenting on the graphics and how badly the cutting edge 3D engine from 1999 has aged.

[edit] Oh wait... I didn't read up on all the technical issues they had with the third game. Really, I know nothing about this series, though I am tempted to track down the first two now.

I'm not going to make baseless claims on the games, because I never played any of them. But aesthetically, I think this series got progressively worse looking with each sequel. The hand painted artwork of the first game aged much better than 2 or 3, in my opinion.

Though, I'm sure they are still all enjoyable games. I'm mostly commenting on the graphics and how badly the cutting edge 3D engine from 1999 has aged.

[edit] Oh wait... I didn't read up on all the technical issues they had with the third game. Really, I know nothing about this series, though I am tempted to track down the first two now.

Highly recommended!

GOG has all three of them available. Definitely play the first two and give the third a chance. Despite its faults it still has a good story as well as good music. I've never finished it myself but maybe it'll appeal to you more.

http://www.gog.com/en/catalogue/adventure/

Berto

Gabriel Knight 3 had the best interface and mechanics, the free camera was amazing and i felt like a part of the story. Imagine GK3 remade in Cryengine3... oh man... =(

Technical issues aside, there are really few games from early 3D era that have aged well.
I think GK3 (which might be using a 3D engine developed internally by Sierra, I don't know) did a nice job with some locations, expecially with buildings. The church in Rennes-le-Chateau is nicely done, even with its mix of 3D and 2D elements.

I actually haven´t played the original Gabriel Knight yet. Maybe I should go get it on gog?

You really should do that.
Bear in mind that those are old school adventures, with some of the genre's typical shortcomings (some pixel hunting, puzzle logic somewhat quirky and so on).
But if you have even the slightest interest in mystery and esoteric themes, you'll find GK very engrossing.

JJ just added a new $200 tier:
An old school "big box" DVD version of this season's games, pdf of the GK1 design bible, digitally signed by Jane, ftp access to all our digital soundtrack music for the year in WAV, AIFF and mp3 format. All previous reward tiers' incredible goodies!

BluWacky

I actually haven´t played the original Gabriel Knight yet. Maybe I should go get it on gog?

It's a genuinely excellent game, one of the few actually good "detective" games out there. However, SAVE OFTEN, and in lots of different slots. There are unwinnable conditions you can put the game into, including one right at the very end of the game that I managed to do on my last playthrough so I never finished it :(

MrBud360

So you missed one of the best stories ever told in a game (with GK3). For me was a gaming changing. I never been to Europe, but because of GK2, i feel like a know Germany, was so so cool. Incredible moments.

ANOTHER NICE UPDATE:
There is a new 200$ Tier, the games will come with old styles game boxes. I thinking about raise my pledge!

$200 is too much for a boxed copy. I felt $100 was just right for the Wasteland & DFA boxed copies. I guess if they end up making 3 games it wouldn't be such a hit but right now I just can't see making that large a pledge.

I like the addition of that box but I still don't feel like going higher than $50.

I guess my issues with this Kickstarter is that it isn't about any particular game. We're essentially buying a pass for a year or so that includes anything that is done within that time period. But is that enough time for more than one game? Personally, a year seems fine for a single game but for such a small team more than a single game makes me question their quality.

Their also throwing out the kids game like it's something most of the backers will actually want. While it may be something great for the younger audience, I have no interest in it and don't see it as a selling point. It's actually a bit of a turn off.

The three game concepts sound great, especially Gray Matter 2, so I wish this Kickstarter revolved around one of those in particular. I don't care for the "fans pick the game" thing.

Another issue, and it's superficial, is that the rewards aren't very enticing. Leisure Suit Larry Kickstarter, for example, you get all kinds of crazy shit and at low levels. Throw in a physical art book, or lower the amount for the Pinkerton Road Review book, as an example.

I mean, I'm wanting to pledge $500 to the Leisure Suit Larry Kickstarter because I know what I'm getting and I'll also get all kinds of awesome collectibles. And in all honesty I'd rather pledge that amount to this Kickstarter but I just don't feel sure about it.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
I like the addition of that box but I still don't feel like going higher than $50.

I guess my issues with this Kickstarter is that it isn't about any particular game. We're essentially buying a pass for a year or so that includes anything that is done within that time period. But is that enough time for more than one game? Personally, a year seems fine for a single game but for such a small team more than a single game makes me question their quality.

Each game will be worked by a different team directed by Jensen & co., ergo, I think that they can pull off it.

From my impression, I guess Jensen will scale off all the projects in a reasonable dev cycle in order to not get another development hell like Gray Matter.

don't disagree with your other points, but I think the actual development is being outsourced so it is just the design team that is small

Each game will be worked by a different team directed by Jensen & co., ergo, I think that they can pull off it.

From my impression, I guess Jensen will scale off all the projects in a reasonable dev cycle in order to not get another development hell like Gray Matter.

Yeah, I just noticed the section on the page about this. That does sound better. I'd feel better, though, if I knew what those teams worked on in the past.

Bebpo

Banned
They updated the info on the 3rd game. Sounds good as well, but I don't see people picking it over the other two.

I'm seeing a lot of people having issues with the choices in the kickstarter. People want to commit to a game idea they like with $$, but they don't want to commit a good deal of money only to get a game they weren't interested in.

I think it should have been "we're going to make game X and if we get 600k we'll make game Y as well". But it's too late to change that.

Hope this picks up some steam at some point. Really would like to see at least one game made.

They updated the info on the 3rd game. Sounds good as well, but I don't see people picking it over the other two.

I'm seeing a lot of people having issues with the choices in the kickstarter. People want to commit to a game idea they like with $$, but they don't want to commit a good deal of money only to get a game they weren't interested in.

I think it should have been "we're going to make game X and if we get 600k we'll make game Y as well". But it's too late to change that.

Hope this picks up some steam at some point. Really would like to see at least one game made.

Yes, exactly. 300K for Anglophile Adventure, 600K for Moebius, 900K for Gray Matter 2. I think a lot of people want a sequel to that so making it last could help people push for more.

Bebpo

Banned
I think in the end though it really shouldn't matter. The only difference between the 3 are the settings and characters. Otherwise they're all still mystery thriller adventure games written by Jensen, so if that's your cup of tea, then that's what you'll get with your money regardless of which they make.

Sure I'd love to have Gray Matter 2 because I have an attachment to the characters at this point. But if it's one of the other games I'm still fine with that because the alternative is no mystery thriller from Jane Jensen at all.

Also the main problem with this Kickstarter isn't the amount of money and the tiers, but the number of backers. the LSL kickstarter has almost 5x the amount of backers, yet only ~2x the amount of money. If JJ could get even 5,000 backers like LSL and Takedown she'd probably be over $300k because her fans are putting in higher amounts because they really like her games and want another one. They really just need to get the word out and more backers in.

Yeah, truthfully, it doesn't matter which comes first. I'm happy she has three possible projects in the works. But a tiered system with how the games will come would be more organized and appealing to me, personally.

Passed 1000 backers.
25% funded.
Project site updated with description of Anglophile Adventure.
Tim Schafer tweeted about the project.

MrBud360

"Game Concept C: Anglophile Adventure"

Images
20120403heartstrings800.jpg

20120404anglophilcu.jpg

Story: Evangeline learns that her beloved Little Nidd Farm is in desperate financial straits following her father’s death. She finds a threatening letter from the local Viscountess among her father’s papers and decides to apply for a governess position at the great estate. She’s determined to get to the heart of the ominous-sounding secret mentioned in the letter. She disguises herself as a dowdy frump in order to keep the Viscountess’s notorious rake of a son at bay. Sex, scandal, ghosts and lies abound in this historical mystery/romance set in the Cotswolds in Regency England.

Art Style & Mechanic: High resolution, high detail 2D (resolution set for ipad3) in a realistic cartoony style. Point and click adventure with classic adventure puzzles appropriate to the historical period.

Very cool concept, the art remind me of KQ5 (it's a good thing)
kq5vga2j.png

For me right know this is Moebius > Anglophile > Gray Matter 2
But i'm sold with anyone of the 3!!!

Famassu

Ugh, simply based on the artwork, I was only interested in GM2 and Moebius, but the description from the third game is really something I'd want to see as well. Oh well, hopefully there's always another PRCSG season, if this proves successful for them.

I was worried Anglophile Adventure would be low-key, but it sounds like it may be just as dark...I still want to see Moebius, but I'm torn as fuck now. New Jane Jensen games, I want them all...

Their also throwing out the kids game like it's something most of the backers will actually want. While it may be something great for the younger audience, I have no interest in it and don't see it as a selling point. It's actually a bit of a turn off.

The three game concepts sound great, especially Gray Matter 2, so I wish this Kickstarter revolved around one of those in particular. I don't care for the "fans pick the game" thing.

Another issue, and it's superficial, is that the rewards aren't very enticing. Leisure Suit Larry Kickstarter, for example, you get all kinds of crazy shit and at low levels. Throw in a physical art book, or lower the amount for the Pinkerton Road Review book, as an example.

I mean, I'm wanting to pledge $500 to the Leisure Suit Larry Kickstarter because I know what I'm getting and I'll also get all kinds of awesome collectibles. And in all honesty I'd rather pledge that amount to this Kickstarter but I just don't feel sure about it.

From the kickstarter page:
This first CSG season will run from the present through end of June 2013. How many games will we do in that period? That depends on what we raise during funding. [NOTE: The games below are guaranteed to you as a CSG member of this kickstarter drive, even if they ship late.]

So you're buying either two or three games. The time frame does not really matter.

Berto

In the latest update JJ mentioned
Finally, not even worthy of a number, just a teensy question -- have you noticed anything unusual about the Moebius concept? I haven't seen anyone mention it. ;-)

What does she mean by that?

In the latest update JJ mentioned

What does she mean by that?

I wonder if it has to do with the person shown in the reflection. Looks like a fortune teller and there's one in the first Gabriel Knight game. Maybe supposed to be her? I have no idea haha

MBison

Where is the update about Moebius and what's unusual about it? On the kickstarter page or her Facebook page?

I am surprised how 'little' support this is getting. I guess JJ is not as charismatic as Schaffer (it's hard to be), but I would have thought many many more people had good memories of Gabriel Knight.

MrBud360

I am surprised how 'little' support this is getting. I guess JJ is not as charismatic as Schaffer (it's hard to be), but I would have thought many many more people had good memories of Gabriel Knight.

A lot of fans from Gabriel Knights, don't even know what kickstarter is. We must find a way to find them. Gabriel Knights sold a lot of thousands copies worldwide

I loved Gabriel Knight, but I'm not getting that vibe from what I've seen so far with these projects.

mAcOdIn

I support this.

While I can't say that her games were among my favorites I do think they were important to the genre but what really got me to back this was how she wants to make the games. I'm actually really interested in seeing how a subscription model would work for a publisher and her desires for the future should it take off also please me, so even though they're not a genre I'm terribly interested in any more they were still very good games and I want to see the concept take off.

I was not a big Sierra fan, and I didn't care for Gabriel Knight, but I will try to support every adventure game on Kickstarter by the old greats that I can.

impact

Banned

Too many kickstarters. There's like three new ones posted here per day.

Quasar

A lot of fans from Gabriel Knights, don't even know what kickstarter is. We must find a way to find them. Gabriel Knights sold a lot of thousands copies worldwide

And I think due to the background nature of adventure games' reputation in the past decade or so and the rise of consoles since then Jane is probably completely unknown. Unlike Schaffer whose had a presence through this whole time with other games.

I'm surprised about it as well. I know she isn't as popular as Tim currently is but she's still made a huge impact on the genre. I also figured more people on GAF would be in this topic talking about it. The name Gabriel Knight should be in the topic title.

Top Bottom