• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jane Jensen's Pinkerton Road Kickstarter project [Ended, $435K funded]

Downloading Gray Matter now. Got it for free since I had a little Amazon credit laying around.

Hopefully I like it since I already put $50 down on this kickstarter having never played any of her games.

Downloading Gray Matter now. Got it for free since I had a little Amazon credit laying around.

Hopefully I like it since I already put $50 down on this kickstarter having never played any of her games.

If you end up enjoying Gray Matter you should check out the Gabriel Knight games on GOG.

If you end up enjoying Gray Matter you should check out the Gabriel Knight games on GOG.

Yeah I was considering getting Gabriel Knight 1 before I saw this sale. Not sure I could stomach playing 2 or 3 though, they look so ugly.

I watched like an hour of someone playing GK1 on youtube and that convinced me to put down the $50.

DiscoJer

Yeah I was considering getting Gabriel Knight 1 before I saw this sale. Not sure I could stomach playing 2 or 3 though, they look so ugly.

I watched like an hour of someone playing GK1 on youtube and that convinced me to put down the $50.

I honestly think that it was the transition from beautiful 2D (the SVGA era) to the really ugly video capture and early 3D games that caused so many PC game genres to go into a decline.

MBison

You're doing a huge disservice to your gaming interests of you don't play GK2 or GK3 cause they're "ugly". Some of the best stories ever in gaming.

You're doing a huge disservice to your gaming interests of you don't play GK2 or GK3 cause they're "ugly". Some of the best stories ever in gaming.

Eh I might give them a shot but it depends on how much I like GK1. Seriously though, GK3 looks horrific. GK2 just looks super low rent and cheesy.

Eh I might give them a shot but it depends on how much I like GK1. Seriously though, GK3 looks horrific. GK2 just looks super low rent and cheesy.

I don't mind FMV games, personally, but I'm definitely with you on the third game. I've yet to finish it myself. Back when it originally came out I couldn't bring myself to complete it because of an infamous puzzle just ruining the game for me and now it's the graphics that prevent it. But, despite the flaws it does have a good story.

Want to play Gray Matter, but it didnt come to XBox in the USA so I might just wait 2 years til I go home and play it then. Don't fancy playing on my laptop.

You want to play it, but are gonna wait 2 years just because you don´t "fancy" playing on laptop?

Lissar

Reluctant Member
I liked the story in GK2, but it was very very difficult for me to get past the FMV thing. The way the actor portrays Gabriel seems so different from the way he is in GK1. In GK1 he felt like a lovable jerk. In GK2 he seemed like just a jerk. :/ I felt it was less the dialogue than the actor.

I liked the story in GK2, but it was very very difficult for me to get past the FMV thing. The way the actor portrays Gabriel seems so different from the way he is in GK1. In GK1 he felt like a lovable jerk. In GK2 he seemed like just a jerk. :/ I felt it was less the dialogue than the actor.

Yeah, it took a while to get used to the different actors.

Posted this in the Amazon DD thread, but thought people here might be interested as well.

The digital download version of Jane Jensen's Gray Matter is on sale for $5.00 (not Steamworks).

Make sure you select "PC Download" on the store page, the boxed version is still $20.

Boerseun

Banned
Gray Matter doesn't measure up to the best adventure games of the last five years, in my opinion. The constant going back and forth between adult psycho-drama and cheesy B-movie creates a disturbing schism that took me right out of the story whenever another jump in tone occurred. The voice acting in the English version doesn't make the characters any more likeable either. Having said that, I'm willing to give Jane Jensen's next stab at a real adventure game a try - she makes mostly hidden object-style games nowadays. I'm just not going to bankroll her attempts at making it.

Also, I wonder what happened to the Wii version of Gray Matter? They announced it along with the Xbox 360 and PC versions and Jane Jensen professed to being a special fan of Nintendo's white box. Worth noting, developer Wizarbox's previous game, So Blonde, even received an enhanced Wii version with additional content that retold the story from the original in an alternative universe setting. Their new game, Captain Morgane and the Golden Turtle (cover pic), is also slated to appear on Wii. It's a shame Gray Matter never made it, as I would have loved playing it on my plasma with the Wii Remote.

zkylon

zkylewd
I feel compelled to give money to this because her step-daughter is so effing cute.

I shamefully admit I never actually got around playing a Jane Jensen game before, just bought GK: Sins of the Fathers on GOG and promised myself I'd play it someday, but never did.

So I'll let real fans decide what game she ends up making, and I'll probably support with the minimum pledge.

Bebpo

Banned
Voted.

Moebius is destroying everything else as expected. Gray Matter doesn't have much of a following and Moebius name dropped "its like Gabriel Knight" so I really don't see anything else winning.

Moebius sounds good, so I'm ok with that winning even if it means I don't get my Gray Matter 2 sequel :\

Also the fact that this is relying on people not giving the password to anyone means the poll is doomed to get spammed by some site at some point. I'd be really surprised if we don't see more votes than backers.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Worked fine for me.. voted for Moebius

Hm, this is odd. Even with another PDF reader I couldn't read it on my Mac.

Anyway, I managed to read it in another PC... And voted for Moebius, although I'd like it better with Gray Matter's perspective rather than 2D.

~Kinggi~

Banned
You know what, i really do love games like Gray Matter, and the style of story Jane creates.

But god damn woman this whole project is amateur as fuck. Seriously get some production value for this shit. I mean the games are quality so why not invest in something that is supposed to fund a whole company?

Axiom

One of currently 11 people who voted for Anglophile Adventure. I love me some Downton Abbey, I'm a bit of an Anglophile and frankly I've seen and played plenty of adventure games that sound like Moebius and Grey Matter - Anglophile seems a really winning idea I would not only enjoy but could easily be recommended to an audience who wouldn't normally give this sort a game a go - and show them why it's awesome.

Not to mention the concept art is gorgeous.

Berto

Oh man... i loved what i read about Gray Matter 2, i want it! But the other two sounded very interesting aswell, whoever wins i'm ok with it =)

I want more David and Sam!

You know what, i really do love games like Gray Matter, and the style of story Jane creates.

But god damn woman this whole project is amateur as fuck. Seriously get some production value for this shit. I mean the games are quality so why not invest in something that is supposed to fund a whole company?

What do you mean? Did you play gray matter? Regardless of the criticisms it was not lacking in production value. I don't get your criticism.

On a different note, I actually like the sound of Anglophile Adventure more than I thought I would...

Voted for Gray Matter 2 but I'll be just fine with whatever wins. Hope the other two get made eventually because all three sound great.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
It's too bad, I really love Gray Matter and wanted to see the sequel. Moebius sounds good, but a little TOO Gabriel Knight. The plot was fine, but the main character was just Gabriel all over again. :| Would have liked to see her mix it up a bit.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm hoping it hits 600k so we can get two games. Although the race between GM2 and the Anglophile game is pretty tight.

It's too bad, I really love Gray Matter and wanted to see the sequel. Moebius sounds good, but a little TOO Gabriel Knight. The plot was fine, but the main character was just Gabriel all over again. :| Would have liked to see her mix it up a bit.

I´m fine with Moebius being done first, but if Gray Matter isn´t a clear runner up, then I will probably drop my pledge to the lowest level.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
I´m fine with Moebius being done first, but if Gray Matter isn´t a clear runner up, then I will probably drop my pledge to the lowest level.

I'm really worried this is going to happen a lot if people don't get what they want. Personally I just want to see ANY Jane Jensen game. It isn't her fault if one game gets chosen over another, and I certainly will not take that money away from her.

I'm really worried this is going to happen a lot if people don't get what they want. Personally I just want to see ANY Jane Jensen game. It isn't her fault if one game gets chosen over another, and I certainly will not take that money away from her.

And I have no problems with another one being chosen first, but if Gray Matter 2 gets dropped to last position, it does changes things for me, because I have a pretty high pledge right now. As it stands right now, I will keep it though.

I'm concerned about that, too, and is one of the problems I've had about this Kickstarter. I think she should have chosen one for $300K, and then picked a second for the $600K mark, and then add the third one to a $900K mark. But, like you, I'll be grateful with whatever we get.

DiscoJer

I'm concerned about that, too, and is one of the problems I've had about this Kickstarter. I think she should have chosen one for $300K, and then picked a second for the $600K mark, and then add the third one to a $900K mark. But, like you, I'll be grateful with whatever we get.

Or maybe simply have three Kickstarter projects, one for each game?

Famassu

She only has two teams ready to start work, so I'm not sure if a third game would've happened even if they had reached 900k. More likely all that extra money would've gone to make the two games better/more accessible to a larger audience (localizations) and/or paying the two teams a bit more now rather than when the games are released and them only getting a cut of the profits.

She only has two teams ready to start work, so I'm not sure if a third game would've happened even if they had reached 900k. More likely all that extra money would've gone to make the two games better/more accessible to a larger audience (localizations) and/or paying the two teams a bit more now rather than when the games are released and them only getting a cut of the profits.

Oh, good point. I keep forgetting the fact that they have two teams lined up already.

El-Suave

I agree that having three seperate Kickstarters over the year would probably be more wise, but on the other hand I find it pretty exciting to get these competing concepts at once and pick one.

The end result might be pretty much the same anyway. If the first game idea wasn't funded I don't think there'd even be a 2nd or 3rd concept pitch. So you pretty much have to support what's there if you want more.

I voted vor Moebius btw.

Man, I just learned about this. Just 8 hours short of being able to vote.

I want Anglophile Adventure to win but I'm almost certain it won't.

Top Bottom