• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT| The Assassination of Daniel Bryan by the Coward Vince McMahon

Good god, poor Roderick. That wasn't AJ's fault, though - Strong shouldn't have tucked his head.

DiscoJon said:
I can completely understand if the Bullet Club is doing something nontraditional, but for me, I don't know what the "normal" is over there. So it just looks like typical big-man power moves and typical heel stable stuff.

Totally, I get that, just trying to give a reason for why Bullet Club are so hyped. Although, I've noticed a fair few western fans starting to get sick of their antics over the past few months, so perhaps some of that hype will die away soon.

ghostmind said:
So TenKoji gets the NWA tag belts tonight? It would make sense, if they are going to start touring it (and the Heavyweight Title) around.

Dane & Conway just defended the belts, but only after a ton of help from Bruce Tharpe-des, so I wouldn't be at all surprised to see TenKoji head over to the states for a rematch.

ghostmind

Good god, poor Roderick. That wasn't AJ's fault, though - Strong shouldn't have tucked his head.

Totally, I get that, just trying to give a reason for why Bullet Club are so hyped. Although, I've noticed a fair few western fans starting to get sick of their antics over the past few months, so perhaps some of that hype will die away soon.

Dane & Conway just defended the belts, but only after a ton of help from Bruce Tharpe-des, so I wouldn't be at all surprised to see TenKoji head over to the states for a rematch.

Yep, I don't think this is over yet for TenKoji and the NWA tag belts, especially with Kojima having to defend the Heavyweight title going forward.

In regards to Bullet Club, if they tone down the interference in each others matches it would be an improvement. I think everyone gets that they are the heel gaijin group now, and Devitt, Gun & Gallows and the Young Bucks are all great additions to the NJPW roster.

DiscoJon

Banned
The Goto/Shibata match...
dhMeAzK.gif

WOW.

DiscoJon

Banned
Okay, starting the Devitt match...

Druids with a coffin, very Undertakerish. What's this guy's gimmick going to HOLY FUCKING SHIT WHAT THE FUCIKING HEALL AGLAHGOEIGHLN

SOLD

SOLD

SOLD

Anybody with a getup like this is okay in my book.
BdI4BapCQAALI49.jpg

1457393-carnage_1.png

ghostmind

Some fallout from the main event tonight:

Goto making a challenge to Okada for the Heavyweight title.

Nakamura and Tanahashi to have a rematch.

Possible feud between Naito and Ishii.

Some fallout from the main event tonight:

Goto making a challenge to Okada for the Heavyweight title.

Nakamura and Tanahashi to have a rematch.

Possible feud between Naito and Ishii.

All of this pleases me.

Also, Naito was apparently getting booed HARD by the Korakuen crowd who, unsurprisingly, loved it when Ishii beat the shit out of him. Ishii really is the new Mr. Korakuen Hall.

The NWA crowned a new NWA World Jr. Heavyweight Champions last night - nice to see them pushing some young stars of the future;

73YkXj5.jpg

Yes, that's Ricky Morton.

Can't wait to see Tharpe bring his Jr Heavy champ to face Ibushi >.>

I still like Bullet Club, although yeah the the style of interference they're doing is starting to get annoying as well. Unlike how Suzuki-gun (well, I guess only TAKA and Taichi) does things.

Also, I think D.Brine needs to bring a pail to the ring in that get-up.

Ithil

I was kinda wondering about New Japan because for years it seemed in stagnation and now is getting bigger than before. What else are they doing differently?

Bushiroad seem the opposite of that company that owns ROH and won't do shit for it despite their huge resources, that is that they have successfully grown the company each year for the last few now, and NJPW's 2014 is looking like their biggest (shows in Taiwan, G1 in a Dome, a show in Yokohama, etc)

They've done so with limited money, a limited roster (in size), and no TV, so it's to be commended. Good booking, emphasis on iPPVs and international broadcast on the internet, pushing Okada as the next Ace, all contributes to NJPW's growth. Even stuff like using NJPW wrestlers in their card game's commercials contributes a lot to exposure. If they can keep it up, they'll continue to close the gap on the size and success they reached in the 90s year after year.

And the WWE is among the most successful it's ever been. Thus, they should continue treating Cena as the Hogan/Austin/Bruno level draw he is until he gets older and/or starts to get fully turned on by even the kids in the audience (like what happened to Hogan) and Bryan and Punk should be treated as they should - major supporting stars.

Don't worry, they'll do good work putting over Roman Reigns, Big E. Langston, and Mojo Rowley.

Which has everything to do with inflation, increases in rights fees, and being publicly traded, and precisely fuckall to do with Cena. They have always had a top guy that sells merchandise, that's what the top guy is going to do, because of how exposed he is.
Cena isn't shit as a draw. Wrestling is in a down period while he's on top, and the profits WWE have come from corporate deals, not successful wrestlers and high ratings.

Surge

Alright guys, I'm about to watch Wrestle Kingdom 8. I have little to no knowledge about Japanese Wrestling and its stars.

So here we go! See you in a couple hours!

I was just about to say I watched it last night..I think I'm in love with it now.

Rapstah

Has the WWE/WWF ever had more than one guy at a time who really drove merchandise sales? Even when both Steve Austin and The Rock were on top I don't think The Rock ever really sold that much merch in comparison. The closest situation I can think of is Hogan and Warrior, but I don't know if Warrior face-paint was actually something they sold or if people just came to shows with painted faces.

iztSXgKVlwCYi.jpg

El Desperado won his debut match at Korakuen Hall today, teaming with Jushin 'Thunder' Liger against the new IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Champion Kota Ibushi and BUSHI. Not sure what Desperado's finisher is, but he's calling it 'El Guitarra de Angel'.

Ithil said:
They've done so with limited money, a limited roster (in size), and no TV, so it's to be commended. Good booking, emphasis on iPPVs and international broadcast on the internet, pushing Okada as the next Ace, all contributes to NJPW's growth. Even stuff like using NJPW wrestlers in their card game's commercials contributes a lot to exposure. If they can keep it up, they'll continue to close the gap on the size and success they reached in the 90s year after year.

Yeah, New Japan's definitely on the up and it's good to see Bushiroad really pushing the promotion, they spent a ton on advertising this past year, for the G1 and Wrestle Kingdom in particular. Also, they don't have national TV any more, but are on Samurai TV, which is a premium cable channel. The iPPV business has really helped them, though, and Meltzer noted that the domestic buys for the iPPVs have been very high - no numbers for this year's show, but WK7 had over 100,000 buys.

Forkball

Has the WWE/WWF ever had more than one guy at a time who really drove merchandise sales? Even when both Steve Austin and The Rock were on top I don't think The Rock ever really sold that much merch in comparison. The closest situation I can think of is Hogan and Warrior, but I don't know if Warrior face-paint was actually something they sold or if people just came to shows with painted faces.

According to the infallible Dave Meltzer, Punk sold $3 mil in merchandising in 2011, which is apparently the 5th highest ever. Here is the list:

1>Steve Austin-13 million(1998)

2>Dwayne Johnson-11 million(2000)

3>Hulk Hogan-8 million(1985)

4>John Cena-5 million(2009)

5>CM Punk-3 million(2011)

I assumed WWE made a lot more money on merchandising considering how much they push it.

Ithil

Well just look at this forum alone, we had a Wrestle Kingdom thread in OT for the first time, and many people here watched it live or at least on VOD. The iPPVs have really helped its popularity outside of Japan.

Rapstah

According to the infallible Dave Meltzer, Punk sold $3 mil in merchandising in 2011, which is apparently the 5th highest ever. Here is the list:

I assumed WWE made a lot more money on merchandising considering how much they push it.
I would seriously never have guessed CM Punk for that fifth spot.

Edit: Most of The Rock's 2000 merchandise seems to be terrible cheap clothing with a picture of him on it, possibly saying "The Rock" somewhere, so almost reaching Austin 3:16 shirts and whatever other six catchphrases Austin had that directly converted into merch is kind of impressive.

Ithil

His white Best In The World shirt is one of the best selling shirts ever, so no surprises. Even two years on in 2013, he was number two in merch sales behind Cena himself.
I think it's because he tends to have pretty good merchandise overall, instead of the butt ugly merch Cena has that appeals to kids only (fucking bright orange? are you crazy?). A lot of his shirts look like something an adult would actually wear.

I would seriously never have guessed CM Punk for that fifth spot.

Edit: Most of The Rock's 2000 merchandise seems to be terrible cheap clothing with a picture of him on it, possibly saying "The Rock" somewhere, so almost reaching Austin 3:16 shirts and whatever other six catchphrases Austin had that directly converted into merch is kind of impressive.

WWF had its hottest year ever in their history in 2000, so it's not that surprising, given Austin was absent for most of the year and Rock was the top face. More exposure = more merch sales

jmdajr

But do they wear it in public!

The illusion its good thats all, he isnt really doing anything

Oh, definitely, but look at Goto's headbutt - you can clearly see him hitting the neck/shoulder area, whereas Shibata's just looks like he smashes him right on top of his dome.

Also, however you cut it, that's definitely an unsafe worked headbutt - most guys put their hand on the opponent's head and then headbutt their hand, there's not really a lot that can go wrong, but if Shibata makes the slightest mistake? He could do him and his opponent some serious damage.

Well just look at this forum alone, we had a Wrestle Kingdom thread in OT for the first time, and many people here watched it live or at least on VOD. The iPPVs have really helped its popularity outside of Japan.
They desperately need a figure line. Easy money right there.

Joeki11a

Banned
1526215_350271921777205_1671511965_n.png

Daniel Wyatt

So no originality, he is basically the tag partner of Rowan is that other guys name? The goat mask guy, guess Vince wants Goat masks to sell more.

, Harper has a unique look well his face is Mick Foley but dressed as a Mechanic. Overall he looks different. DB is basically a mini version of the other guy. Might as well have both wearing Goat Masks and let Harper go on a solo run.

strobogo

Banned
legitshook.com

Best of Memphis in the 80s Part 8

Jerry Lawler/Austin Idol vs. Jesse Ventura/Stan Hansen (9/25/83)

JIP, but whatever, Stan Hansen! All I want is one lariatoooo. Stan works a chin lock on King and tags Jesse in. I wonder why he kept the ring so long instead of just shaving his head. And then why he chose to grow it back out later in life. He knocks Idol off the apron and King gets double teamed. Back elbow and elbow drop from Stan. King is knocked over the top. King gets a hold of Jimmy Hart's cane and uses it. The ref doesn't seem to mind. Hot tag to Idol. He's cut off and we go to break. Jesse has Idol in a bear hug when we come back. Idol is able to get one of his own on, only for Stan to break it up and put him in a bear hug. Idol gets out and kicks Jesse in the balls. Hot tag to King. Punches everywhere. Stan gets his bull rope and tries to kill Idol. The match is thrown out. Jesse slams the ref. No lariatooos, sadly. The heels continued the beat down after the match until they came back using Jimmy Hart's cane. The brawl would continue out into the crowd and all over the arena.

ipfQ04occlB7w.gif

iZuMZuW2uIJ2D.gif

Austin Idol vs. Stan Hansen Texas Bullrope Match (10/3/83)

Now god damn it Stan, give me a lariatooooo. Idol is the first to use the cow bell. Stan bails to the floor and is pulled into the ring post. He either takes the rope off or it slips off. Big Idol hip toss. Stan does some eye rakes and starts using the cow bell. Stan gets 3 corners touched. Idol is bleeding. He stops the count and fires up on Stan. Jimmy Hart distracts the ref. Hansen throws powder and restarts the count. They scramble to hit the last corner. Stan hits it and wins the match. But the ref was told about the powder and the decision was reversed, so Idol is now the International Heavyweight Champion. No lariatooo, and a generally boring gimmick match to begin with.

iNQ9v7KFn58TH.gif

Austin Idol vs. Stan Hansen Bunkhouse Match (10/10/83)

Stan starts by spitting chew in Idol's eyes. They quickly head to the floor. Idol sends him into the ring post and chokes him with the rope surrounding the ring. Once they get back in the ring, Hansen is in control. Idol knee drops his balls because there aren't DQs in a Bunkhouse match. Another ball knee. Stan is choking Idol with some kind of rope. The ref starts hitting him to release it, so Stan ties the ref to the corner by his neck. Idol pulls out a "tire tool", which I believe is a tire iron. As he's trying to stab it in Idol's eye, Eddie Marlin comes down and tackles Stan. LARIATOOOO! Finally. He then attacks the ref as well. Idol hits him with the tire iron a few times and Stan walks out. Stan Hansen is suspended and through wrestling in Memphis.

io5hqasYyLHhW.gif

Koko Ware vs. Tommy Rogers (10/24/83)

Jimmy Hart is at ringside, but neither man wants him there. Rogers wins the opening exchange with a hip toss. The next time the lock up, Koko responds with one of his own. Back breaker from Koko. Big suplex. Spinning neck breaker. BRAIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNBUSTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH. Fuck. That was scary looking. Another one. Then a double arm suplex. Knee trembler. Koko is pretty boss. Back suplex. Rogers kicks out. A crisscross spot ends with Rogers doing a powerslam. Should block and leap frog from Rogers. He then locks on a front headlock. Koko gets out with an atomic drop. Rogers takes thing to the mat with some leg work. Monkey flip from Koko. They head to the floor for a moment, with Rogers getting sent into a chair. Suplex back into the ring. Back suplex from Rogers. Rogers leap frogs Koko, but collides with the ref on the way down. Jimmy Hart gets in the ring and nails Koko with a chair. Rogers refuses to make the pin and sends Jimmy Hart out of the ring. Jimmy slaps him. Hart goes down! The Bruise Brothers hit the ring and cause a DQ. Thankfully, they aren't the baby Harris Brothers. This was really fun. Rogers and Koko fought them off.

ibgKPh3QpvL4UJ.gif

iUvOb5cGWQvcm.gif

Bill Dundee vs. Tommy Rogers (11/7/83)

Rogers gets off to an early lead and Dundee heads into the crowd for a break. Dundee is able to to get in control with some veteran moves, but as soon as Rogers throws some punches, he bails again. Dundee gets dropped a little high on a back suplex and I'm pretty sure he did a SHOOT powerslam as a response. Mid ring collision. Rogers doesn't go down and slaps on a sleeper. Dundee rolls out of the way of a second rope fist drop. The next time Dundee bails, Rogers follows him out. Dundee begs off and does some cheap shots in the ring. Crazy looking snake eyes/stun gun. Dundee attempts a piledriver, which is still banned in Memphis. Rogers breaks out and fires up. He did a Stinger Splash in the corner, but Dundee got his knee up and hit Rogers in the balls. He then rolls him up for the win. I really like Tommy Rogers.

icafMSYLAyD8r.gif

iH0XXPbPAGYPB.gif

Dutch Mantel/Koko Ware/Bobby Eaton/Jaguar vs. The Grapplers/Bruise Brothers (12/10/83)

The Bruise Brothers are Porkchop Cash and the former Dream Machine. The Grapplers are future Tony Anthony/DWB/TL Hopper and Len Denton. Dutch and Machine start out. That doesn't look like the Dream Machine, but that's what I found on the team. Jaguar looks like a straight knock off of Tiger Mask. Koko is also wearing a mask for some reason. Not only does Jaguar look like a Tiger Mask rip off, he is also doing Tiger Mask spots and moves. Dream drops Dutch and tags out to Porkchop. Eaton tags in. Cash misses a second rope knee drop. Quick tags from the faces. The Grapplers and Bruise Brothers (both managed by Jimmy Hart and have an upcoming match against each other) get into it during the match. I missed the ending to the first fall. It was a DQ win for the faces. Koko is actually under the Stagger Lee gimmick, which I assume is the same idea as Red River Jack or the Midnight Rider. Koko and Dream start the second fall. Porkchop is quickly tagged in and the heels to be on the same page again. Frequent tags from both sides. Koko gets a slingshot into a punch that sends him over the ropes, but he's caught and thrown back in. Koko is the closest thing to FIP. Cash pins Jaguar to win the second fall. Really not much of note besides the blatant Tiger Mask rip off.

Jerry Lawler vs. Randy Savage Steel Cage Match (12/12/83)

They lock up and King throws some bombs in the corner right away. Savage teases escaping. I don't think that is a way to win here. Savage darts around and gets King on the mat, where he has a tight chin lock on. King gets up and sends Savage into the cage, which looks like a chicken coop more than a cage. Savage rolls to the floor and gets something out of his tights. The ref checks his hands and finds nothing. Macho takes it back to the mat. He gets some pins, with King kicking out or getting rope breaks. Punch combo from Macho. Ax handle to the floor. King is sent into the boards holding the cage together. A few times. Then he's posted. Savage is sent into the boards on the other side. Kidney shot from King and then a big punch to the jaw. Macho misses an elbow from the top of the cage. King teases jumping off the cage, but instead does a Superfly Splash off the top rope. Vertical suplex. King goes for the piledriver, which is illegal even in a cage match. The ref prevents it and King gets back dropped. Macho air plane spin. King ends up getting a dizzy punch off after the move. Both men go for piledrivers only for the ref to prevent them again. Savage does a low blow to get out of it. Another ax handle to the floor and cage ramming. The strap comes down and King starts throwing punches. Jos LeDuc climbs the cage and attacks Lawler, causing a DQ. A beat down ensued. The flying elbow is hit this time. Dutch and some other faces eventually make a save.

i9kbB0yPpQAqF.gif

i2cQlTuagAw8P.gif

ieeyBvjTq2OMD.gif

iUnHrL36ZutTK.gif

Jerry Lawler & Cowboy Lang vs. Plowboy Frazier & Little Tokyo (12/24/83)

Lang and Tokyo start out. Tokyo accidentally dropkicks Frazier. Tags are made. Frazier is awful. The minis worked the whole first fall except for about 30 seconds. Lang pins Tokyo with a roll up to win the first fall. The TV shows often had "expiration of time" matches, which were basically iron man matches. This is one of them. Time limit expires, giving King and Lang the win with one fall.

Coming up: More Randy Savage, Rick Rude, King Kong Bundy, falls count anywhere, Tennessee street fight, and a $10,000 Challenge.

Some photos of El Desperado from his debut match today;

iQAR3UM0t21BP.jpg

ics1tWHkVrspv.png

ibcSzncPqp5dZ0.jpg

His finisher, El Guitarra de Angel, seems to be a Falcon Arrow, but he starts from a double-underhook, Pedigree position.

Man, I remember AJ Styles doing the exact same thing to Frankie the Future back during TNA's Nashville days. He's such a liability.

Both the Kaz and Strong botches of the Styles Clash was because they tucked their head when they shouldn't have.

dream

Both the Kaz and Strong botches of the Styles Clash was because they tucked their head when they shouldn't have.

I know, but I think the Styles Clash is an inherently dangerous move because AJ can't protect the guy taking it. Just switch to a piledriver or something, god.

While I'm here...

Was Sakuraba/Nagata vs. Daniel/Rolles really as bad as I read it was?

Ricky Morton as a world champion in 2014 is amazing. Maybe he can pay some child support now that he's making world champion money again. Who am I kidding, he's going to buy cocaine and marijuana.

I'm glad WWE finally decided to try to make Daniel Bryan interesting. Perhaps he won't tank PPV buyrates as a headliner anymore. Who am I kidding, he's never going to be featured in the third hour of a PPV again.

Xater

Observer on Bryan:

Daniel Bryan debuted his new character last night in Hampton, VA. He was introduced as Daniel Wyatt, wore the same type of costume of Erick Rowan does and was billed to face Bray Wyatt in a cage match. Bray let Bryan beat him up, offered no resistance, but the Erick Rowan interfered and Bray pinned him with Sister Abigail.

Man this shit sounds awful.

Was Sakuraba/Nagata vs. Daniel/Rolles really as bad as I read it was?

Oh yeah, it was real bad. I'd rather watch IGF than see another match like that. Rolles didn't look half bad, honestly. With a few months prowrestling training he could be decent. But Daniel looked scared and lost every time he was in the ring. Also, like most fighters with no prowrestling experience, they only know how to properly strike opponents, so their worked blows ended up looking really comical. Add to that Sakuraba being banged up and in generally bad shape and old man Nagata playing at being an MMA fighter, and you've got the recipe for a truly awful match.

The Gracies also challenged Sak & Nagata to a rematch, but for an MMA rules fight this time *shudders*.

Shootstyle wrestling should be practised solely by dudes trained in it. Even Nagata can't do it justice. Also, I'd wager that if they brought in Original Tiger Mask, Satoru Sayama, and one of his students, it would have generated more interest from fans in Japan and probably been a far better match. OG Tiger rocks, even if he is fat and old.

Top Bottom