• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT| The Assassination of Daniel Bryan by the Coward Vince McMahon

Laserfrog

I'll wrestle at wrestlingmania but I can't take any bumps on account of my bad ear and other assortment of bad health, like flatulence. Maybe not walk to the ring, I'll just hire a minicab. That can drive me to the ring, and then I can leasiurly get in the ring and then have a bit of a sleep on the nice soft absorbent canvas.

strobogo

Banned
The notion of Bruno wrestling?

Lord. That is something that will never happen.

I bet at nearly 80, he'd still be a better wrestler than most of the roster. He actually looks in better shape/younger than Hogan/Backlund/Sting/Flair. Just that he's allowed to be mentioned on TV/website makes me happy. I wish Bruno's prime was on video. Most of his matches were either from the late 70s or 80s against Randy Savage/Adrian Adonis. Even then, I've really enjoyed all the Bruno footage I've seen.

It's so stupid. WWE should have dropped everything and made YES as big as possible. We're in an era where things are planned out a month in advance at most. This isn't the 80s when they had the main event of WM 5 planned by the end of WM 4. Once YES started taking off, both at WWE shows and other sports, I think WWE should have done everything possible to make it as big as they could.

Funny you say that because they ran to ESPN on twitter to tell them it was from their product. So pathetic. Funny part is, he's not even doing the YES chant now because of the Wyatt storyline so everyone that tunes in on Smackdown and Raw to see what this chant is all about won't see it lol.

culFrpz.jpg

strobogo

Banned
That's so sad. YES could have spread to all sports and been a real cultural touch stone for WWE. Why they tried to bury and demean it makes no sense to me. They should have gone all in on it. But then I remember how they ruined Fandangoing about 2 weeks after it took off.

Nameless

I keep trying to put a positive spin on the Daniel Wyatt story. Maybe they're building toward Bryan v Taker. Even better, the idea that he's sowing dissent before using these giant rednecks to win the Rumble and main event Mania. But really this stinks of Vince not wanting Yes! fever blazing the trail towards the 30th anniversary of his baby. And D.Brine will just get punked & emasculated by The Wyatts for the next few months until finally having enough, culminating in a 6 minute match(defeat) with Bray at WM.

With any luck those Michigan State fans will highlight how dumb it is not to run with an Attitude-era level phenomenon.

strobogo

Banned
I feel like Bryan is happy enough just to have a job with WWE that he's never going to complain or fight for something better. He seems like the kind of guy that thinks he's probably already massively over achieved and is happy to work The Main Event and Superstars.

Vee_One

I still can't understand what they have to gain from Bryan joining the Wyatt's. There is literally no visible end game and it pisses me off. He should be winning the rumble and going to Wrestlemania but instead he is running around being a mechanic and not saying yes.

Edit: I should probably replace the Dolph avatar. His future is not looking promising ; _ ;

strobogo

Banned
I still can't understand what they have to gain from Bryan joining the Wyatt's. There is literally no visible end game and it pisses me off. He should be winning the rumble and going to Wrestlemania but instead he is running around being a mechanic and not saying yes.

Edit: I should probably replace the Dolph avatar. His future is not looking promising ; _ ;

Your Dolph looks like a wicked witch anyway. You should update to Kanyon, Norman Smiley, Disco, or Nakamura.

Lambda observation time:

Luke Harper, the hoss with hair from the IRS kid's stable.

weirdest body i've ever seen in a hoss. no muscle definition, small T-Rex arms, his hips are almost wider than his shoulders. like a hoss version of Hero. he may be a better worker but the bald carrot hoss is far more physically imposing than him.

i see him having no future as soon as Vince actually watches one of his matches. zero striations

RBH

Highspots filmed an AJ Styles shoot interview, to be released next week:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CANJqyzk-vY

The Phenomenal One, AJ Styles has been the face of TNA for the past 11 years, but that all changed on December 15th 2013 when his contract expired. Highspots caught up with AJ in his man-cave in Gainesville, GA on Jan 2, 2014 and he opens up about what led to those negotiations breaking down, his relationship with Dixie, what it feels like to be a free agent after all these years, returning to the indies and would he ever go to work for Vince. AJ also reflects on his classic matches and angles during his time in TNA and shoots on the "money" guys that didn't care about the product. You don't want to miss this over two hour interview with the Phenomenal AJ Styles.

As a bonus disc, we're also including the interview we did with AJ Styles in Feb 2006 in Birmingham, AL. Between the two interviews, we cover his entire career.

Also, as a special for people that preorder only, we're going to include an out of circulation DVD called "Dream Team" featuring matches that AJ Styles and Christopher Daniels did at live events circa 2007.
This looks fantastic.

krae_man

Hogan is going to do a run in with the Real Americans at Mania isn't he? Hopefully Cesaro won't suffer the same fate as Hassan come summer.

Nameless

I feel like Bryan is happy enough just to have a job with WWE that he's never going to complain or fight for something better. He seems like the kind of guy that thinks he's probably already massively over achieved and is happy to work The Main Event and Superstars.

There's always a decent spot for guys who stay over and can make anyone look good. Hell, I'd be happy travelling the country wrestling and screwing a Bella too, but god damn.

Cena and Punk have 2/3 of the top face spots locked down when healthy. I suppose it was inevitable Bryan would have to give up the third spot after Batista was brought back.

kevinnash.png

Nameless

Hogan is going to do a run in with the Real Americans at Mania isn't he? Hopefully Cesaro won't suffer the same fate as Hassan come summer.

I hope not. Hogan has the greatest entrance theme in wrestling history and if he fights the Real Americans he's going to use the one that shares their name instead.

Striker

Get let go because of media outcry? WWE shouldn't have ran that masked man stunt with Hassan/Taker so UPN or whoever it was wouldn't have gotten pissed off. Instead of changing course a bit and continuing to develop this mega heat character, they just dump him.

charsace

There's always a decent spot for guys who stay over and can make anyone look good. Hell, I'd be happy travelling the country wrestling and screwing a Bella too, but god damn.

Cena and Punk have 2/3 of the top face spots locked down when healthy. I suppose it was inevitable Bryan would have to give up the third spot after Batista was brought back.

kevinnash.png

IF WWE would seriously back DB he would be bigger than Cena. Once him and Kane started feuding with the Shield the crowd really started backing them both. They did that stupid shit to Kane with the Wyatts and turned him heel and now they tie up Bryan with the Wyatts.

G-Fex

I'll wrestle at wrestlingmania but I can't take any bumps on account of my bad ear and other assortment of bad health, like flatulence. Maybe not walk to the ring, I'll just hire a minicab. That can drive me to the ring, and then I can leasiurly get in the ring and then have a bit of a sleep on the nice soft absorbent canvas.

Wrestlemania is passe laserfrog.

We need to restart Pastamania.

People now a days care about pasta more than Wrestling.

If (or when) it turns out Daniel Bryan is never given a title run and just become Mick Foley type of personality of having a title but as a pat on the back and not being a main player, would this be the biggest cock tease of all of wrestling? I mean seriously was anyone this over and had no ball given to him whatsoever?by making look like a complete tool in the title picture?

If (or when) it turns out Daniel Bryan is never given a title run and just become Mick Foley type of personality of having a title but as a pat on the back and not being a main player, would this be the biggest cock tease of all of wrestling? I mean seriously was anyone this over and had no ball given to him whatsoever?by making look like a complete tool in the title picture?

He already had a title run.

tm24

Oh god, from Mike Johnson's column on PWI

"Bryan shows up, dressed like a Mexican mini version of Eric Rowan"

Goddamit, that fucking slayed me. I move that all mentions of Dbry be changed to Rowancito

having the belt is meaningless these days, Bryan fans shouldn't worry about it.

hell, Orton carries 2 belts on his shoulders and he had less screen time than Bryan and Punk this past RAW.

having the belt is meaningless these days, Bryan fans shouldn't worry about it.

hell, Orton carries 2 belts on his shoulders and he had less screen time than Bryan and Punk this past RAW.

Bryan is friends with Cena, is engaged to a beautiful woman, has a damn good paying job, has nearly every crowd in the US eating out of the palm of his hand, and is currently in the middle of a storyline that has been getting plenty of screentime. Arguably more time each week than other main eventers.

But he doesn't have the title, so buried.gif

Bryan is friends with Cena, is engaged to a beautiful woman, has a damn good paying job, has nearly every crowd in the US eating out of the palm of his hand, and is currently in the middle of a storyline that has been getting plenty of screentime. Arguably more time each week than other main eventers.

yup, the damn marks worry more about Bryan's place on the card than he does.

bjork

I don't know if it was intentional, but I liked that they got a shot of Jake and the snake facing the camera, like on one of the old show bumpers.

Aiii

So not worth it

Should have worked that into the OP story, shame.

UberTag

You're juxtaposing two very different things.

What you stated up above describes Bryan Danielson, the person.
He's very successful, as you noted.

Who the "marks" have invested in, however, is Daniel Bryan, the character.
This dude is a loser who had success stolen from him and got pushed down the ladder into a heel minion role because his fans loved him too much.

The root of professional wrestling & sports entertainment fandom comes from investing in larger than life "characters" and getting a pay off for that investment.

Nobody that watches wrestling gives a rat's ass how big of a paycheck the real people behind these characters take home to their families or who they're shacked up with. They want to see their heroes kick ass and to win titles and gain acclaim in this fictional BS universe. And they've been deprived that time and time again.

It leads to them becoming disillusioned with the product and seeking enjoyment from superior alternatives like NJPW... or just ranting about Cena incoherently on some message board while still tuning in every week expecting THIS week to be the week that the status quo changes.

@UberTag

some wrasslin fans should spend a couple of seasons watching MMA to see actually see legit hype trains getting derailed, actual money lost and eventual release from the company all within 1 year. or fighters with wins streaks getting fired cause they're boring (Finch, Okami).

Bryan, both as a character and as a person, has it really good. if Vince really didn't like him he'd be back in the indies by now.

UberTag

Bryan, both as a character and as a person, has it really good. if Vince really didn't like him he'd be back in the indies by now.
The WWE loves Bryan a ton - even Vince - no question about that.
They, however, love him to fill a role that is different from the role his fans would like to see him in.
They also love long-time employees JTG, The Miz, Alberto Del Rio and The Big Show.

charsace

@UberTag

some wrasslin fans should spend a couple of seasons watching MMA to see actually see legit hype trains getting derailed, actual money lost and eventual release from the company all within 1 year. or fighters with wins streaks getting fired cause they're boring (Finch, Okami).

Unlike MMA the WWE can make their own draw and maintain him. Its not like they would put Bryan up against Orton and then would have to hope he wins. They decide if Bryan wins or not. WWE is sabotaging themselves and are lucky that there isn't a WCW to contend with.

bjork

The root of professional wrestling & sports entertainment fandom comes from investing in larger than life "characters" and getting a pay off for that investment.

Nobody that watches wrestling gives a rat's ass how big of a paycheck the real people behind these characters take home to their families or who they're shacked up with. They want to see their heroes kick ass and to win titles and gain acclaim in this fictional BS universe. And they've been deprived that time and time again.

But if he won all the time or had the perfect gimmick, people would complain that he's boring and that he is Cena 2.0 or something. I'm not going to go digging up posts, but I recall seeing people griping about his Kane segments with the doctor in here, because they were overdoing it. Pro wrassle fans are near impossible to keep happy, so maybe that's why WWE doesn't try. As long as that 5-12 demo keeps buying Sin Cara masks and John Cena shirts, who cares about IWC?

But if he won all the time or had the perfect gimmick, people would complain that he's boring and that he is Cena 2.0 or something. I'm not going to go digging up posts, but I recall seeing people griping about his Kane segments with the doctor in here, because they were overdoing it. Pro wrassle fans are near impossible to keep happy, so maybe that's why WWE doesn't try. As long as that 5-12 demo keeps buying Sin Cara masks and John Cena shirts, who cares about IWC?

Compare the quality of work between Bryan and Cena and it's damn night and day. Granted, Cena's style of work is the reason why he's been in the spotlight for such a long time. Daniel Bryan is consistently one of the most electric workers and no one can deny that. Only Vince and co.

Buried? Probably not. Robbed of potential? Assuming he doesn't have the title by the end of 2014, 100 percent yes..

Top Bottom