• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT| The Assassination of Daniel Bryan by the Coward Vince McMahon

Bean is the leader of the AReally?an Nation. I'm not sure what his end game is, but being associated with Miz makes him as bad as Hitler.

2pKYP.gif

strobogo

Banned
legitshook.com

Best of Memphis in the 80s Part 14

Koko Ware vs. Ric Flair (11/18/85)

I'm not sure why Koko got to face Flair as he didn't defeat Dundee for the Southern Heavyweight Championship. Whatever. Dusty is at ringside for this. Flair is able to get Koko to the mat and in the corner. Clean break. Koko works a tight side headlock. Flair gets up and does a leap frog only to get caught in a hip toss. Back to the headlock. Dusty is trying to get Koko fired up and Flair seems shocked that Koko is taking it to him like that. It seems he underestimated young Koko. Had he been watching his Memphis tapes, he'd know that Koko was pretty awesome. Flair unloads some chops in the corner, but Koko comes right back with a series of punches. Flair Flop! And another. Big cross body gets a near fall and Flair bails, only to run into Dusty. Koko is too fast for Flair on the mat. It takes punches and chops to get Koko down. Knee drop. Flair keeps Koko grounded and works the arm. Koko fires up and Flair begs off. The ref stops Koko from throwing a closed fist, which allows Flair to throw a knee. Sleeper! Flair is barely able to get to the ropes. Series of punches. Give him the Ghostbustaaaaaah, Koko! Back suplex from Flair. Double stomp from Flair. I've never seen him do that and I've seen a lot of Ric Flair matches. Figure four is applied. Koko gets out. Backslide! Flair gets out. Flair uses Koko's momentum to send him to the floor. Koko comes back in with a sunset flip. Flair tries to punch out of it, but this was still in the era where black people had super hard heads so it didn't work out for him. 2 count. Flair misses a knee drop and Koko slaps on a figure four. Rope break. Koko hits some dropkicks. Dundee runs out and attacks Dusty. Flair hits a knee in the back and gets the pin on Koko, even though Koko's foot was on the ropes. Dundee and Flair continued to beat up Koko until Dusty recovered. They ran the faces off. It was a Flair formula match, but Flair in his prime and Koko was so much better than I ever realized.

i6KWQf84Lkos1.gif

ikXoxPxEWy0mX.gif

Jerry Lawler vs. Bill Dundee No DQ, Loser Leaves Town (12/30/85)

Coming into the match, King has his head taped up and an eye covered. Dundee goes right after it. Dundee also throws punches at the ref just because he can. King's depth perception is all off and he can't get any kind of offense off. Dundee just picks apart the eye with punches. King finally lands a punch after many minutes of getting rocked repeatedly. It didn't last long. I'm pretty sure a baby Sting is at ringside. After a commercial, King is throwing Dundee across the announce table. There are no DQs and there must be a winner, but there are count outs. Pretty sure Warrior is out there as well. The Blade Runners are in Dundee's corner I think. Maybe. The fight goes into the stands. King is knocked over the guard rail on the risers. Dundee tries to get a count out win. King makes it back to the ring, but is slammed into a table and the ring post. King begs for more punches and takes the strap down. I would say 90% of the match is punches. Dundee is handed salt or something. He throws it in Lawler's face and pins him. Lawler must leave Memphis! A music video of the match is included. The music video had a lot of stuff that wasn't included in the clipped match. Looked like King had a lot more offense in the full match.

iblT4GkjAQng6t.gif

iWBfIEQghzG7l.gif

Jerry Lawler/Dutch Mantel vs. Bill Dundee/Buddy Landel (3/10/86)

The faces ran the heels out right away. The heels try to stall and the faces follow them out to deliver some more punches. When the match starts, Landel gets tricked into hitting Dundee a few times. Dutch and King punch the shit out of Buddy. Buddy gets some offense on King and tags Dundee in. Dundee misses a top rope stomp. Dundee kicks King in the balls. Dutch gets fucked up on the floor. King is thrown into a table and choked with the guard chain. Dundee accidentally hits Buddy with a chained fist. King opened up the cut. Dutch and Dundee fight off into the crowd. Dutch and King by count out.

The Nightmares vs. Fire and Flame (7/12/86)

The Nightmares now have rainbow colored hair and face paint. Fire and Flame look like they might be The Assassins in new gear. Fire and Flame suck. Actually, I think one of these guys was on the Continental show I watch. One who threw a fire ball at Bob Armstrong. I'll pass on this. It ended in a DQ or something. I guess they did something really bad that wasn't shown on TV. FF and their manager came back out to argue with Lance. But Fire and Flame are now not allowed to wrestle on TV. I think they hit a woman or something. Instead, the manager brings out The Mod Squad to finish the next fall. It's just a fight instead.

i45KDiXAvkFQM.gif

Jerry Lawler vs. Bill Dundee No DQ, Loser Leaves Town (7/14/86)

It's been about 7 months since their last loser leaves town match. King's eye is much better this time around. They start brawling until Dundee hits a low blow. They head to the floor. King is sent into the post/steps. King fights back and hits a piledriver. Dundee got his foot on the ropes and they went back to the floor. Dundee is slammed into everything around. Dundee sends King into the table and does a few kicks for good measure. King is busted open. Dundee starts peppering King with punches. Top rope punch from Dundee. King gets to the ropes. Piledriver from Dundee. This whole time there has been a second ring that hasn't been used or shown. Big kick out from King sends Dundee on top of the ref. The ref was then too stunned to make the pin. Strap is down. Punch battle. King wins it. Another piledriver. Dundee kicks out! Both men throw punches and both go down. Another low blow from Dundee. King hits a jumping piledriver to win the match. Dundee is gone from Memphis. Again!

ibuDldgM6T4fFo.gif

ibcjZvz1quxm0Y.gif

ibyH0oYoEUg7f3.gif

The Nightmares vs. Mod Squad Wear a Dress vs. Make-up Session (7/21/86)

The Nightmares already wear make up and look stupid. The Mod Squad were evil motorcycle cops. They look...not very good. Overly inflated, muscle gutted dudes who are probably going to be blown up with in 3 minutes. One Nightmare does a 619 feint and the other follows up with a suicide dive. The Nightmares are pretty good. Danny Davis is one of them, who would go on to be the main trainer for OVW. They don't look like they'd be good. They're kind of short, doughy looking middle aged white guys with multicolored mullets and bad mustaches. They also stole some RNR spots, notably the hip toss your partner into the corner one. Nightmares win. The Mod Squad now have to wear make up.

ih0fJQXJ5CFvv.gif

BONUS: Jerry Lawler & Dutch Mantel vs. Bill Dundee & Buddy Landel (Texas Death Match Clips) (3/24/86)

This started with Dundee and Buddy running Lance out of the studio. Dutch and King came out to shut them up. The match itself went to 26 falls before Dutch and Buddy both couldn't stand before a 10 count. It was declared that the first man up would win. Buddy stood up, but Dutch was on top of him, so Lawler and Dutch were declared the winners. It turned into a pull apart brawl after the match.

Much better disc than the last couple. Maybe the strongest over all so far.

Still to come: Bam Bam Big Yellow, Jeff Jarrett vs Nick Bockwinkle, and Curt Hennig.

Snaku

Banned
So who would be the ultimate swerve winner of the '14 Rumble that makes sense? Are they still going to run with that Vince vs. Trips storyline for control of the company at WM? If so, it's time for Vince's Chosen One to rise.

drew-mcintyre-titantr75zr0.gif

So who would be the ultimate swerve winner of the '14 Rumble that makes sense? Are they still going to run with that Vince vs. Trips storyline for control of the company at WM? If so, it's time for Vince's Chosen One to rise.

drew-mcintyre-titantr75zr0.gif

as it turns out, Orton was NOT Vince's choice for the perfect champion; it was Drew all along! Long term booking!

Xater

One thing I'll never understand is why Axel doesn't wrestle u d the Henning name. I mean they mention all the time that he is Curt Henning's son.

Watching some Wrestle Kingdom. This might be the shittiest hair Alex Shelley had his entire career. Quite the achievement.

One thing I'll never understand is why Axel doesn't wrestle u d the Henning name. I mean they mention all the time that he is Curt Henning's son.
If he uses his real name, then WWE can't copyright it and he can wrestle in the Impact Zone under the brand that Vince paid to promote.

Like Kurt Angle.

Rapstah

Or like Curt Hennig for his awful WCW run.

To be fair only a small part of his WWF run was under his real name but I'm sure this is the type of thing that keeps Vince awake at night.

Or like Curt Hennig for his awful WCW run.

To be fair only a small part of his WWF run was under his real name but I'm sure this is the type of thing that keeps Vince awake at night.
Sometimes wrestlers legally change their names to get around that like Steve Austin or Warrior. I wonder how CM Punk managed to keep the same name when he signed and why he was willing to let WWE have it. Then again, these days there isn't really a WCW to go to so I guess he figures it's either WWE or nothing.

Kaladin

LOL. I'm glad I decided to check on WWNLive just now. Evolve started an hour earlier tonight than last night!

Holy shit, they have a big crowd tonight.

Opening match is a Shine Showcase: Su Yung vs.Mia Yim.

Kaladin

Crowd for tonight:

Fzv7f6o.jpg

Granted, it's only like that on the camera side, but it's impressive for that venue. Even Chikara couldn't pull a crowd like that.

Kaladin

Chuck Taylor vs Maxwell Chicago was a fun comedy match....Rich Swann is out....looks like we're getting Ronin (Rich Swann / Chuck Taylor ) vs The Young Bucks tonight!

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Pretty sure he had a coffee and newspaper.

lol he looked like any other dad you would see taking their kid to WWE that night.
Typical GGG.

In an interview about SNE2, one of the actors said that during takes he would be a monster in front of the cameras, and then afterwards, he would just be Glenn, go sit down, put on his glasses, be reserved, and read the newspaper, lol.

strobogo

Banned
ibyOrqsJmlGwK5.gif

Something of a bonus gif. The full sized version was over 20M and I couldn't find anywhere that hosts a gif that size. King going HAM on Buddy Landel.

strobogo

Banned
All of stro's Memphis reviews are weird because Lawler seems to be in every match

Well, they are best ofs and if I remember were voted on by the DVDVR board based on what was actually available. Since King was the Hogan/Cena/Bruno/Flair/and HHH of Memphis, it makes sense that his matches were all over TV. I don't think there has ever been a time in the past 30 some years that King was on top in Memphis, even during his entire WWE run.

RBH

I just want a good wrestling video game in general. (i.e. WWE All Stars)

Is that honestly too much to ask for?

Kaladin

Up now at Evolve 26, Champion vs Champion, pick your own partner tag match.

AR Fox (Evolve Champion) & Uhaa Nation vs Johnny Gargano (Open The Freedom Gate Champion) & Jon Davis

Sometimes wrestlers legally change their names to get around that like Steve Austin or Warrior. I wonder how CM Punk managed to keep the same name when he signed and why he was willing to let WWE have it. Then again, these days there isn't really a WCW to go to so I guess he figures it's either WWE or nothing.

Punk was signed in the era after WCW died, but before TNA was any real competition (ie. pre-Spike TV deal and pre-Angle going there). As a result, there was no downside to Punk using his previous name.

Plus, as we all know, Punk's the kind of guy who likely would've said, I'm using my name or I'm not signing.

Punk was signed in the era after WCW died, but before TNA was any real competition (ie. pre-Spike TV deal and pre-Angle going there). As a result, there was no downside to Punk using his previous name.

Plus, as we all know, Punk's the kind of guy who likely would've said, I'm using my name or I'm not signing.
I think Heyman lobbied hard for him, too

Does Dwayne Johnson have done sort of contract or blessing to use "The Rock" when he's billed in movies that have no WWE involvement?

In his early movie roles Vince got a credit on some of the movies like The Mummy. I think it was a producer credit he did nothing but just give permission to use "The Rock" name. Now Vince probably wants Dwayne to use The Rock name to give WWE exposure.

Top Bottom