• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan First Day Sales: 9/16 - Pokemon Never Dies

cvxfreak

1. (GBA - Pokemon) Pokemon Emerald - 372,000 / 52%
2. (PS2 - Koei) Shin Sangoku Musou Mushouden - 118,000 / 38%
3. (PS2 - Square Enix) Final Fantasy XI: Chains of Promathia - 81,000 / 87%

For reference:

Pokemon Ruby - 432,736 / 61.5%
Pokemon Sapphire - 418,798 / 58.2%
Pokemon Emerald - 372,000 / 52% <--
Pokemon Fire Red - 282,024 / 79.8%
Pokemon Leaf Green - 221,316 / 61.3%

Final Fantasy XI: Chains of Promathia - 81,000 / 87% <--
Final Fantasy XI: Rise of Zilart - 80,908 / 80.3%

Sengoku Musou - 450,170 / 89.8%
Shin Sangoku Musou 3 Mushouden - 144,084 / 35.5%
Sengoku Musou Mushouden - 118,000 / 38% <--

I'll have more numbers later (they can be found at Quiter and by GameScience tonight). Pokemon lives.

Memles

A little on the disappointing side...relative to the 800k that Ruby and Sapphire did combined.

But in terms of pure sales? We need a substitution of Kirby in that money pic.

Alcibiades

cool...

I'm about to go pick up a Pokemon FiLe (one of each, don't even know if I'll play them much, but I wanna have a set of wireless adaptors around...)

Jumpman

WooHoo! Go Pokemon!

Fire Red and Leaf Green are remakes of the original Red and Blue, correct? If that's the case, then is emerald is a remake of Green? I wonder if Nintendo will continue with the remakes in the future, similar to how Enix has done with the Dragon Quest series. There seems to be a robust market in Japan for this sort of thing.

Memles

Jumpman said:
WooHoo! Go Pokemon!

Fire Red and Leaf Green are remakes of the original Red and Blue, correct? If that's the case, then is emerald is a remake of Green? I wonder if Nintendo will continue with the remakes in the future, similar to how Enix has done with the Dragon Quest series. There seems to be a robust market in Japan for this sort of thing.

Emerald is a new title set in the Ruby/Sapphire realm.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Since when is almost 400k in one day "someone disappointing" for any piece of software?

Memles

GaimeGuy said:
Since when is almost 400k in one day "someone disappointing" for any piece of software?
When it failed to sell half as many units as its predeccesors combined. Or as much as one of them alone.

As I said, it's an amazing day in general, and not taken relative it's stunning...but at the same time it didn't perform as well as its contemporaries.

GDGF

Soothsayer
I figured Pokemon Emerald was the new fangled Pokemon Yellow. How well did Pokemon Yellow do on it's first day?

jarrod

Banned
Lost Weekend said:
I figured Pokemon Emerald was the new fangled Pokemon Yellow. How well did Pokemon Yellow do on it's first day?
It is... don't know first day sales but iirc both Yellow/Pikachu and Crystal also didn't sell as well as RGB or GS individually.... I wonder if GBA will get Electric Yellow soon? :)

Jumpman

Memles said:
Emerald is a new title set in the Ruby/Sapphire realm.

Oh, alright then, thanks. So this title is analogous to Yellow/Crystal. These "third wheel Pokemons" don't sell as well as the "companion" Pokemon games. They usually sell on par with or close to the amount of one half of a "companion" series. It looks as if Emerald is right on track to do between 1.5 and 2 million in sales, so that is not disappointing at all. It is actually a strong achievement considering the current sagging of the Japanese gaming industry.

Jumpman said:
WooHoo! Go Pokemon!

Fire Red and Leaf Green are remakes of the original Red and Blue, correct?
Well, they're the remakes of the original Red and Green. Blue was a later addition in Japan, though it was one of the first pair we got overseas. I don't know whether our Blue is like Japanese Blue or Japanese Green as far as Pokémon availability goes.

jarrod

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:
Well, they're the remakes of the original Red and Green. Blue was a later addition in Japan, though it was one of the first pair we got overseas. I don't know whether our Blue is like Japanese Blue or Japanese Green as far as Pokémon availability goes.
Our Blue was based on JP Green iirc.

PIKA.jpg

COCKLES

being watched
Jumpman said:
WooHoo! Go Pokemon!

So Nintendo are just remaking old Pokemon titles? Christ, no wonder Japan's videogame market is so dire.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"Final Fantasy XI: Chains of Promathia - 81,000 / 87%"

My GF nearly put her feet through her TV when trying to install the bvillion patches required to get this to work.

NOW CHECKING 10,000 FILES
(A LONG WAIT LATER....)
NOW INSTALLING 10,000 FILES
5000 left
1000 left
60 left
OH THE SERVER IS BUSY AND YOUR CONNECTION HAS BEEN DROPPED.
(A LONG WAIT LATER....)
5000 left
1000 left
30 left
(A LONG WAIT LATER....)
5000 left
1000 left
10 left

Hours and hours wasted ... um, kind of like her exploits in game i guess.

MetatronM said:
Pokemon Emerald isn't a remake.

Nope. And already people who have imported are saying this blows out the original Ruby/Sapphire.

More Gold/Silver Pokemon...
New story events...
The promotional islands from Fire Red/Leaf Green, and one new one to acquire the original Pokemon #151, Mew...
New areas, including the Battle Frontier, and other areas revamped...
Be able to catch Kyogre and Groudon in the same game...

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Memles said:
A little on the disappointing side...relative to the 800k that Ruby and Sapphire did combined.

But in terms of pure sales? We need a substitution of Kirby in that money pic.

WTF? Disappointing? I'm surprised it managed to sell almost as much as Ru/Sa did (invidually.)

Red/Blue: remade as Fire Red / Leaf Green
Yellow: remix of Red+Blue with some newer features (like GBC support)

Gold/Silver
Crystal: remix of Gold+Silver with some newer features (like cellular link support)

Ruby/Sapphire
Emerald: remix of Ruby+Sapphire with some newer features...

...You get the idea. Just as few people want to own both initial colors (like red and blue), most of the fanbase clues in that the third game in the particular generation isn't worth buying if you already have played one of the others. Hence, sales drop.

M3wThr33

Banned
This is how I remember it: I could be VERY wrong
Red and Blue were the first two released.
Green was available later through a special mail-in offer.
After a while people noticed you only needed Red and Green to complete the game and Blue's special selection sucked for crap, so sales of that one paled to the rest.
When they were preparing YEARS later to release it here they changed things
They redid all the in-battle graphics. (Get a japanese red or blue to see how horrible they were)
They also made in Pokemon (Fearing similarity with "Monsters in my Pocket")
And because the release was September 18th or so, Red and Green sounded festive, like a Christmas bundled game (And that meant after Xmas sales would possibly sink, or just be seasonal), so JPN Green became Blue and they continued their success over here.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'd like to know the whole story.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Memles said:
When it failed to sell half as many units as its predeccesors combined. Or as much as one of them alone.

As I said, it's an amazing day in general, and not taken relative it's stunning...but at the same time it didn't perform as well as its contemporaries.
Last I checked, half of 800k (The 2 pokemon titles) equaled 400k

MetatronM said:
Pokemon Emerald isn't a remake.

All of the Pokemon RPGs except for the original Green and Red have been remakes, essentially. This is a series I could get into if it weren't so stagnant, but Nintendo has little reason to shake things up. It's too bad.

cvxfreak

The story of the GB Pokemon games...

January, 1996. Pokemon Red and Green (Midori and Akai) are released. They're very popular games (although it does take awhile). To satisfy Blastoise fans, Pokemon Blue (Aoi) is released through a mail order service from Nintendo, although eventually, sometime in 1997, it is released in stores. The Japanese Pokemon Blue edition contained an altered Unknown Dungeon stage as well as brand new, better looking Pokemon sprites and a different assortment of Pokemon. In late 1998, the U.S. got Pokemon Red and Blue. However, Pokemon Red, unlike it's Japanese counterpart, contained the Pokemon sprites from the Japanese Blue. The U.S. Blue also contained the sprites from the Japanese Blue. Both the U.S. Red and Blue contained the altered Unknown Dungeon. However, the U.S. Blue contained the same Pokemon assortment as the Japanese Green did. So in essence, the oddball game the U.S. has never actually recieved was Pokemon Blue from Japan, and not Pokemon Green.

Yeah.

Memles

olubode said:
Last I checked, half of 800k (The 2 pokemon titles) equaled 400k

850,000/2 is 425...about 50k more than Emerald.

You round up 28,000, and then down 50,000, those things happen.

M3wThr33

Banned
Thanks for the summary. That makes a lot more sense. I was browsing Serbeii.net and I slowly noticed that Green's images were different, but typically subpar.

What do you think of the chances of an Electric Yellow to be released?

cvxfreak

M3wThr33 said:
Thanks for the summary. That makes a lot more sense. I was browsing Serbeii.net and I slowly noticed that Green's images were different, but typically subpar.

What do you think of the chances of an Electric Yellow to be released?

I think the chances are at 75%.

At least pokemon is deserving of its success. They're charming games... sapphire had the best music I've heard on GBA. I love them.

I hope they expand the series onto gamecube with an ORIGNAL game that doesn't require you to connect your GBA or anything...

cvxfreak

Go Go Ackman! said:
At least pokemon is deserving of its success. They're charming games... sapphire had the best music I've heard on GBA. I love them.

I hope they expand the series onto gamecube with an ORIGNAL game that doesn't require you to connect your GBA or anything...

I suppose Colosseum is different enough to be original, and you don't technically need the GBA anymore.

Meier

CVXFREAK said:
Nah, it wouldn't. If Pokemon Yellow were remade, it'd be "Lighting Yellow" or something.

Why would they deviate from the previously set pattern? That makes... 0 sense. It would be a yellow gemstone.

Top Bottom