• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Mobile Gacha Games: Gatcha hand on your wallet and I'm never letting go!

chrono01

Nice that it turned that way :), now we both have rainbow leader. I did read horror stories similar to you from reddit that pulls gave 1 tix per pull with multiples multis done, so I was really lucky to grab 4 tix.

My new Higbie friends help me to clear Hard Soul Arena, trying to do it everytime I see those 177 & 157 rank players, the stuff you get there with points is so nice. Too bad I don't have any chances to get to 600k points (lucky if I get 50k) :D.

Btw I think it might be good idea to start saving gems to summer gacha.
Yeah, I couldn't believe it. I just started playing the game a little over a week ago, and my team is already really solid. I need to work on my weapons/Mystic Artes, of course, but I think I'm doing pretty well so far. It's even more pleasing that I haven't spent a cent yet, although I'd probably be willing if they offered bundles of some sort (it doesn't seem like they do or, at least, don't have any right now).

I'm working through Soul Arena too, in-between my quests. I'm kind of mixing it up, as Soul Arena takes A LOT of your stamina, and right now I'm trying to rank up so I don't waste so much when I'm unable to play and/or sleeping. I basically do Soul Arena when I'm in a hurry and need to burn stamina quick, or I'm near full stamina and about to level up. It's going pretty well so far, but I doubt I'll hit the 600k needed for the top prize. Next time, though!

As for saving, I definitely am. As mentioned, my team is already balanced (tile/blood booster, 2x delay arte, 3x vamp artes, 2>1 square tile change, etc.), so I can pick/choose the banners that best interest me. :)

I don't know if this is the "honeymoon period" for me or not, but damn I'm really enjoying this game. The story is decently-interesting too, which is nice to see, and with the abundance of free stones/constant events, as well as occasional G5 banners, I'll likely be with this one for a while. Maybe it'll finally give me reason to delete Naruto: UNB and Sword Art Online (I mostly just log in for freebies and that's it).

Jeffrey

Brave frontier doing a guilty gear collab. Can't wait to see the Sprites.

Feel like that series is used in collabs alot for gacha games lol

Ok rerolling again. I don't know what happened, but I pulled with Bride tix and got that 5* unit, but I don't have her. I have 12 units and only one 5*. So yup, you can delete 177,933,155 friend number :p.

Edit: New number 629,452,913 same leader.

I just reinstalled the game after 2 months away from it. Sent you a friend invite. Running an Anni Sarah lead right now, and switch to Barbatos sometimes or a Duke for Soul Arena.

Chrono what is your ID? :) Edit: Nevermind I saw you posted it!

MiTYH

So I've been thinking recently on what makes a fun game for me to play. And looking at what I play now, to what I've dropped, the answer comes in one form: AutoPlay, or anything that allows you to beat a stage without pressing a button.

I've enjoyed games like Bleach, Tales, Marvel FutureFight, GranBlue, etc, but when it comes down to it, I always wind up pressing AutoPlay to finish things, and eventually get bored. It just... takes something away. When you can put your strongest fighters and press "beat it for me".

(The only exception to this is SAO, which I think I got bored of due to no stamina and just a sense of never having enough time. Oddly enough, stamina helps me pace the games I play).

And I know it's a bit silly to think that way. I play One Piece and DBZ Dokkan the most, and when I'm fighting against RNG drops, I'm essentially doing the same things over and over. It would sound like pressing AutoPlay for those would make me like it more but... it wouldn't, and I'd hate the games if they tried it. Even if the stages are easy sometimes, I like the feel of going through it myself.

Anyway, just my mini-rant on that feature. It's a shame, there are some fun games out there, and this certainly doesn't STOP me from playing them, but eventually I wind up dropping them. I hope My Hero Academia comes west, but I noticed it has an AutoPlay button too, so I'm a bit worried (That's what sparked this post).

What's all of your thoughts on this feature?

chrono01

So I've been thinking recently on what makes a fun game for me to play. And looking at what I play now, to what I've dropped, the answer comes in one form: AutoPlay, or anything that allows you to beat a stage without pressing a button.

I've enjoyed games like Bleach, Tales, Marvel FutureFight, GranBlue, etc, but when it comes down to it, I always wind up pressing AutoPlay to finish things, and eventually get bored. It just... takes something away. When you can put your strongest fighters and press "beat it for me".

(The only exception to this is SAO, which I think I got bored of due to no stamina and just a sense of never having enough time. Oddly enough, stamina helps me pace the games I play).

And I know it's a bit silly to think that way. I play One Piece and DBZ Dokkan the most, and when I'm fighting against RNG drops, I'm essentially doing the same things over and over. It would sound like pressing AutoPlay for those would make me like it more but... it wouldn't, and I'd hate the games if they tried it. Even if the stages are easy sometimes, I like the feel of going through it myself.

Anyway, just my mini-rant on that feature. It's a shame, there are some fun games out there, and this certainly doesn't STOP me from playing them, but eventually I wind up dropping them. I hope My Hero Academia comes west, but I noticed it has an AutoPlay button too, so I'm a bit worried (That's what sparked this post).

Honestly, I rarely use Auto Battle, despite playing several games with that feature (Bleach, Tales of Link, etc.). I just find that it's not very efficient, with maps taking longer in Bleach (due to the game using all of the abilities, each time they're off cooldown despite not needing to, with only a single enemy left), or not ending the combo string in a character I want to level artes for (ToL). I do use it in Valkyrie Connect, as even without Auto Battle it still seems very Auto Battle-ish.

I appreciate the feature, but it's not a game-breaker if a game doesn't have it. As I mentioned, I don't particularly like how the game prioritizes certain things when it's running. I think I actually prefer a "x2" option (when presented), as it lets me get through things faster while still having manual control over everything. I guess what it comes down to is, if the game is boring enough that I feel like I need to use Auto Battle to continue playing it (out of dis-interest in the battle mechanics), why bother in the first place? Not going to lie, I legit forgot ToL even had Auto Battle, since I'm having so much fun manually controlling everything.

I've seen people quit Terra Battle because it didn't have auto-play, so you should try that. :)

You tend to appreciate auto-battle early on in any mobage, but quickly just notice how stupid the entire system that revolves around it is.

I think worst offenders are anything story or event (non-grinding) related where you finish just by auto-battle. Just bad game design.

Shirke

Funny you mentioned Granblue and auto-battle, since they only just added it to raids, and outside of leeching them, you probably don't want to be using it too much, unless you want to fail. But auto-battle is appreciated when doing things like farming for mats or angel halo.

Kettch

Gacha games pretty much all have repetitive mindless grinding, so they all need to have auto-battle to make that bearable. Or a fun, innovative battle system, but this isn't the genre for that.

The thing that really kills games for me is team cost tied to account rank. One Piece for instance. I pulled this awesome unit...but I can't even use it unless I grind out long, boring stages thousands of times to make enough room. Fuck that. I don't even play the game because of that, I just log in and collect characters.

Rixa

The thing that really kills games for me is team cost tied to account rank. One Piece for instance. I pulled this awesome unit...but I can't even use it unless I grind out long, boring stages thousands of times to make enough room. Fuck that. I don't even play the game because of that, I just log in and collect characters.

OPTC Lost the interested, partly to this cost bull shit.
Chain Chronicle had Cost / Rank shit.
PAD has Cost / Rank shit.

Don't like cost shit at all.

aitakute

Gacha games pretty much all have repetitive mindless grinding, so they all need to have auto-battle to make that bearable. Or a fun, innovative battle system, but this isn't the genre for that.

Should have played it 2 weeks before. You can reach lv 100 like in... a few hours. I went from lv 170 to 275 in a week. Are you playing the English version? If so you will get this 3rd anniversary event pretty soon

MiTYH

While I hear you on that (I assume you have a legend), OPTC is pretty good about cost I think. Dokkan isn't though.

Should have played it 2 weeks before. You can reach lv 100 like in... a few hours. I went from lv 170 to 275 in a week. Are you playing the English version? If so you will get this 3rd anniversary event pretty soon

3rd anniversary for global should be in February, not as soon as we'd all like

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

Ha, I don't think either of those are actually possible. I've played a LOT of OPTC and I'm not level 275 yet.

aitakute

Ha, I don't think either of those are actually possible. I've played a LOT of OPTC and I'm not level 275 yet.
How much is a lot? I started playing in Jan and now I'm level 275. The new chopper quest system. With that and 3rd anni ship + Neptune you can level up very fast. Last chopper quest using those can give you more than a million exp

Rixa

How much is a lot? I started playing in Jan and now I'm level 275. The new chopper quest system. With that and 3rd anni ship + Neptune you can level up very fast. Last chopper quest using those can give you more than a million exp

Global cant have all the nice things JP has. GL needs to wait ~9 months. Question is who plays it sitll?

MiTYH

Global cant have all the nice things JP has. GL needs to wait ~9 months. Question is who plays it sitll?

I'm all about Global OPTC. Day 1 here, ~ rank 350. Moderately f2p (I buy the special beginner bundles which is usually 10 gems for $5)

bjork

I do. 800+ days now. About 650 in Puzzle & Dragons, too.

Cost seems like a strange thing to have an issue with. If you're playing natural progression, it shouldn't be a problem. You're not really supposed to just drop in a bunch of high-tier stuff and steamroll in these games, are you?

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

Well, Jan to May and being 275 is one thing. Going from 1 to 100 in a few hours, and then from 170 to 275 in a week, is something else. Just not possible is all I'm saying :) And even if it was the case ,that means it took you 4 months to go from 100 to 170?

aitakute

Well, Jan to May and being 275 is one thing. Going from 1 to 100 in a few hours, and then from 170 to 275 in a week, is something else. Just not possible is all I'm saying :) And even if it was the case ,that means it took you 4 months to go from 100 to 170?

Like I said, It was 3rd anniversary event with the x3 exp ship. Combine that with 2 Neptune captain and the new Chopper quest system, you can get many millions exp. Don't believe me? Here is your proof. Also, I went from 1 to 170 in 4 months. 3rd anni is a limited time event
40e02f99b417dc339afebd95e5a749fc.png
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hqf4hJWX-1E The amount of exp boost for each special island run
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNHIc7J4W08 Chopper quest vid

Azusa

Any date on global F/GO? How grindy is it? I'd like to give it a go but Granblue fucking eats time.

Generally you play 1-3 battles 2 times per day. At start it will be slightly more often because of small stamina pool.

Blustone just came out. It's got very high production values, anime cutscenes, decent writing, and good music, but the battle system is basically just a clicker game.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vshower.prd_sr

Interesting, a korean mobage. I'll check how grindy is it.

Quonny

Blustone just came out. It's got very high production values, anime cutscenes, decent writing, and good music, but the battle system is basically just a clicker game.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vshower.prd_sr
Played this.

It really seems more like an idle game/clicker than an auto-battler, Iike you said. Gacha clicker is an interesting idea.

Seems fairly high quality but not feeling the art style and sometimes the presentation gets in the way. I just wanna jump into a level and it takes a good 20-30 seconds.

Jeffrey

wonder if there is an 'ultimate' gacha game out there?

Decent rates.

Decent depth, but not too crazy.

varied events, that don't require too much hours of grind a day.

Feel like most are too complicated/time consuming, or too little lol.

Uthred

Decent rates.

I think following them online can exacerbate this a bit, it makes you feel that if you dont have the best units or such theres no point in playing, whereas the majority of the userbase probably get by playing fairly casually

Jeffrey

I think following them online can exacerbate this a bit, it makes you feel that if you dont have the best units or such theres no point in playing, whereas the majority of the userbase probably get by playing fairly casually

That's most of the fun though. Waifus and tier lists.

chrono01

We might be getting a SINoALICE releasedate this week. One of the latest tweets on their account says as much.
I'm only interested when they announce an English localization. I'm not about to play a Yoko Taro-heavy game, in a language I'm not entirely familiar with. I'd miss out on so much of what makes his games special (story, character interactions/backstory/etc.).

I know, we'll probably never get this released in English, and it depresses the hell out of me. :(

Mozendo

Decent rates.

Try Monster Super League

Permanently A

Decent rates.

Right now, I am really happy with YuGiOh Duel Links.

1) Familiar IP
2) Interesting gameplay
3) The ability to grind for important cards that don't show up in the gacha
4) Each gacha has 200 packs of cards, buying all 200 guarantees all the UR cards

After 1 month of playtime I already have a deck capable of getting to the top rank of arena without spending a dime... I'm pretty happy with the game.

Mozendo

Its a very very bad game.
Try it anyway and after a day or 2-3 you will see why its a bad game.

What's bad about it? I've been playing it since they advertised it on prelaunch.me ( I think) and I love it. One of the few gatcha games I can stand playing since they're generous with the Gacha currency. Also cute girls

Valiant Force is getting the GLOBAL launch treatment, although English translation was already available with SEA launch.

Pre-reg HERE.

They will open up a new server for it.
If I recall, you get to choose your server when you start the game.

Azusa

Valiant Force is getting the GLOBAL launch treatment, although English translation was already available with SEA launch.

Pre-reg HERE.

I played it almost a month. Events are too boring and too grindy and too long. Its better to wait for fgo english ver.

Quonny

Pre-reg HERE.

Ergh. Seperate servers, why...

I mean, sure, you can choose, but these decisions are so baffling.

I played it almost a month. Events are too boring and too grindy and too long. Its better to wait for fgo english ver.
I don't disagree, but both games are pretty different gameplay-wise.
VF has raids, PVP and town management thing.

I was more annoyed with their constant cash shop promo ads that would pop-up once in a while.

garath

I want fgo English. Not that I can handle much more than granblue fantasy but maybe it'll be a bit more casual for me. Lol

Dandte

I played a ton of VF SEA. From time to time i log in and do a multi, do a event, see how grindy it is and step away.

VF has its plussides.

Gorgeous Art
Townbuilding and Guild Events
Challenging Content
Teambuilding
Aura - Such a good System.

F.e. Your tank has an aura that the units next to him will take 50% less dmg. So you want to put the healer next to him which is kinda squishy. My healer has an aura that boost the mag of the units left and right of her for 25% so my mage is next to her. My mage has an aura that gives a boost to crit for the units next to her which is my ninja. And my ninja gives units next to her a second round of attackint when she crits.

The teambuilding is so awesome.

Cons

Gacha - super low rates and fp units are in premium Gacha. Yep thats right. I did a multi and i got a nearly a full batch of fp units. Rates were so bad that the devs had to include an shard system so everytime you do around 5 multis you get a summon if your choice

Grindy af - No words. Welcome to grind hell.
Missions: Every event has a Misson tab, sometimes an Event Missiln requires to do 2 multis.

Gacha - rates were so fucking bad they had to include the new unit as a prize when you clear a decent amount of mission.

But dandte wouldn't this be super f2p friendly?

Nope, because

Limit breaking: you unit can level up a ton of levels. 3* 3+1 3*+2 then 4*+1 and so on. Once you hit 5*+2 you can limit break with the same unit of the same level. Which means you have to pull the good units a couple of times.

Faith: FUCK THIS SYSTEM.

So in this game are 6 units called Valiants which are the equivalent of your normal 5* base etc. They are super rare, super powerful and get costumes etc. You geht one when you start the game and one every month. Plus for arena orbs you can buy a ticket to get one. LB etc.

So imagine we get Shizu. A cool ninja which can attack all enemys and give orher units 2 hits per turn.

A ninja is a physical dps. You want strenght on dour gear. But now lets add a system that can fuck up everything.

Faith. When pulled every unit has a faith. Some like athena boost the mag stat, some like zeus boost hp and def some like Ares boost atk. Now imagine you got a new valiant and it has the exact opposite faith it needs. Shizu with the healer or mag faith? Well just pull more or

$$$$ you just spend money to get a pixie to change the faith. These Bundles cost around 20 - 199 dollar.

I pulled the Ranger Valiant two month in a row and both have a shitty faith.

Normal pixis for normal units can be obtained while events from event tickets...again rates. Last time i got 50 1* units from all 50 tickets...lucky me.

Luck: everything can be random. Your healer could have the dps faith and her aura could only work for units behind her. Double fuck up. But you change everything with money.

Back to topic.

FGO looks interesting. I never saw the anime. I guess i should give it a try to get a bettee understanding for the units. Any recommendations how to whatch it, in which order?

Also sory for grammar. I'm currently on the train without my nornal phone and autocorrect is on a rampage.

Top Bottom