• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Mobile Gacha Games: Gatcha hand on your wallet and I'm never letting go!

Kitoro

Any idea how much it costs to maintain games like these? I can't imagine server costs are that expensive. Renting ample space on a server farm appears to be less than $1,000 a month for a load that seems more than adequate for concurrent player bases for most mobile games.

If a game is taking in $10k or more a month even without new content, why not cut off major new content support and just let players enjoy until interest peters out entirely?

Azusa

Any idea how much it costs to maintain games like these? I can't imagine server costs are that expensive. Renting ample space on a server farm appears to be less than $1,000 a month for a load that seems more than adequate for concurrent player bases for most mobile games.

If a game is taking in $10k or more a month even without new content, why not cut off major new content support and just let players enjoy until interest peters out entirely?

Games without updates are dead and wont be profitable at all. It doesn't mater if servers are cheap. No updates -> whales abandon the game -> no profit.

As pointed out, such a game wouldn't be making a red cent. Gacha games are either making enough for pay for everything and then some, or... they aren't, which is why the lights get turned off so often and so suddenly.

Anyway, I've been messing around with FF Brave Exvius for a bit while I
deal with heinous depression
do other things (and there's a slow period for JP Fuggo) and... while I'm managing to have a little fun with it again, I'm surprised at how aggressively hostile it still is, in many ways, to the player. There are four separate inventory limits still, and their cap is aggressively low and each small upgrade requires basically two full quest completions in order to upgrade. The cost for group pulls is still astronomical (even F/GO discounted down to the industry standard of 30 units per 10 a year ago!) and while the more ticket-focused reward structure is interesting, it also means you're pulling on the base rate for the banner, and the developers seem to have walked away from the old conceit of all units being available at lower rarities... which means a number of prize units are now tied to a F/GO-like 1% drop rate, but without a lot of the elements that help to buffer that rate in F/GO and make it a lot more tolerable. And then there's the "having to level your units several times over to get their maximum power" aspect.

It's a bit of a shame because I dig some of what the game does and the feel it tries to capture (and hey, the English script seems generally above par) and I'll probably continue to mess around with it, but god damn, they could at least try to mask their open contempt for the player and their in-game earnings a little bit more. Especially when a lot of their direct competition has gone in for major QoL improvements.

Basically, the TLDR is that "this is hell you're walking into" doesn't quite seem to do it justice:

bZW2ZcQ.png

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I had to google this to make sure it was the same Aria I was thinking about. What the hell were they thinking? Aqua/Aria is one of my favorite anime and manga series ever, but using that license to make a game sounds like one of the worst ideas I've ever heard of. I'm surprised it managed to last 1.5 years.
Yep, it's that Aria!
I never played the Avvenire game... I think it was some kind of dollhouse/Animal Crossing type game.
Aqua Ritmo was the rhythm game, and I played it for quite a bit, but I think it was clear that the game wasn't really going places once I hit the level cap and nothing happened.

The game itself is alright, even if some of the hit detection was kind of jank and the card system was weird compared to the other big games. But it's nice to play a game that featured Choro Club and Round Table songs. lol

I'd still check it out before it's removed forever.

Speaking of translation, Granblue Fantasy has been really good recently. All of the newer stuff that's coming out in English has very natural and flowing script. Much better than some of their older attempts.

Speaking of translation, Granblue Fantasy has been really good recently. All of the newer stuff that's coming out in English has very natural and flowing script. Much better than some of their older attempts.

I'm not as plugged in to The Biz as I once was, but I do know that real attempts have been made over at Cygames to step up their TL game. There are still, uh, hurdles to overcome, though, especially for a proper release on a store.

Still, appreciate the stuff in Granblue now! The dudes behind it are workin' their butts off to make it good.

Jeffrey

i want to get into granblue more, but ended up hitting a difficulty curve in the story and confused at what to do to progress lol.

You aren't feeding units to lvl up lol.

Kouriozan

It's a bit of a shame because I dig some of what the game does and the feel it tries to capture (and hey, the English script seems generally above par) and I'll probably continue to mess around with it, but god damn, they could at least try to mask their open contempt for the player and their in-game earnings a little bit more. Especially when a lot of their direct competition has gone in for major QoL improvements.

Basically, the TLDR is that "this is hell you're walking into" doesn't quite seem to do it justice:
Rates are still crazy awful, only recently the Japanese version boosted the highest rarity to 3% chances (instead of 1%)
Also in Japan for the anniversary, they gave everyone free 50 inventory slots for all of them, and 30 more NRG cap.
Global version anniversary is coming next month (June 27), maybe you'll enjoy it a bit more around that time?

chrono01

I wish there was a way to sort by weapon name, so I know when I have duplicates available for evolving. Granted I guess it's early on for that, but would be helpful for the future once I reset banners and go for multiple copies.

Edit: Meant to type this in the Logres OT. >_<

i want to get into granblue more, but ended up hitting a difficulty curve in the story and confused at what to do to progress lol.

The whole thing with Granblue is that the characters are surprisingly superficial to the overall power curve. You want to level them to fill out their kits, naturally, but you actually do so largely by just playing - you can shove weapons into characters to level them but it's not very efficient.

The overwhelming majority of your power comes from your "grid" of ten weapons and how you set it up, along with the primary summon you use. In late-game grids, you might get about 7-8000 attack power by leveling a character from 1 to 80, while the weapon grid provides you with hundreds of thousands of attack power.

Table for Six was actually pretty funny, and Korwa is now my bae

I'm sad I missed Table For Six, Iggy + Elsam sounds like it was adorable and hilarious.

(playable iggy when, cygames)

edit: hurp, meant to reply to this too!

Rates are still crazy awful, only recently the Japanese version boosted the highest rarity to 3% chances (instead of 1%)
Also in Japan for the anniversary, they gave everyone free 50 inventory slots for all of them, and 30 more NRG cap.
Global version anniversary is coming next month (June 27), maybe you'll enjoy it a bit more around that time?

I mean, I'm not hating the game; I'm just surprised that it's missing some of the really basic QoL stuff (normalized rank gain curve, all forms of daily farming unlocked by default, wide open inventory without need for slot payment, etc) that virtually all of their competition has implemented at this point. If anything I'm surprised more people don't take them hard to task for it.

There's one other bit of weirdness that I meant to note previously concerning the premium currency, too - there's no option in their purchase tiers for buying exactly enough for an 11-pull. That just strikes me as bizarre, as I all but know for a fact that "impulse whaling" is a huge driver of revenue for F/GO and Granblue, who both feature currency options right there for a group pull. I wonder what kind of metrics they were looking at when they first implemented it, because now it seems like a terrible, terrible idea and they're just making it easier for a person to justify to themselves "ehhhhh, no I don't think I'll purchase a full $50 worth of bravebux or go through the effort of $20 twice, and both are a lot anyway".

This feels like a weird thing to complain about, granted :V but it's just one more example of the apparent psychology of the game's design leaving me scratching my head. Mobage has, god be praised, moved beyond a fair deal of this, and I have to imagine it's contributing to FFBE not doing as well as its peers.

Jeffrey

I generally prefer brave frontier to ffbe. Simpler gameplay and barely any grindy events.

Rate ups aren't tied to rarity which is huge so it's not like a double dice roll.

Excited to see what they do for bf2 later this year. Seems like they are ditching gacha system all together? Crazy.

Azusa

Granblue has very simple gameplay:
- get units in story/gatcha and just play with them to level them up
- farm bosses/raids/events to get weapons or materials to exchange for weapons and fill your weapon grid.

Thats it. Pretty simple.

Kitoro

what makes you think dead games like that are even making $10k a month

Have you ever heard of the website/company called Sensor Tower? You can look up worldwide monthly revenue on any app on both iOS and Android.

Whenever I hear of a game that's getting shut down, I usually check to see how they were doing the month before shutting down.

I've never heard of Aria, and I don't believe it ever saw a Global release, but let's look at a game like Monster Strike, of which the global version is shutting down in August.

These are Monster Strike Global's revenue numbers for April 2017:

iOS:

2017-05-28.png

Android:

2017-05-28.png

That's $70,000 in revenue for April. After the 30% cut to Apple/Google, that leaves $49,000. I believe XFlag licenses the rights and has to pay Mixi royalties, which, let's estimate is about 15% of the $70,000, which is $10,500, leaving $38,500 to cover all overhead before being left with profit.

I doubt the game costs anywhere close to $38,500 to translate and maintain every month, but I could be wrong. Still, to shut down an app that's generating $70,000 a month shows that a lot of these games that shut down do some pretty solid numbers.

I checked when Chain Chronicle Global closed, and they were hitting six figures a month to its dying day, but apparently that wasn't enough for Gumi/SEGA. Too many hands in the cookie jar, I'd guess.

Also, that "rhythm" game (quotes because it was merely disguised as a rhythm game) IRiUM made $15,000 the month before closing, and that was a small studio.

I'm very interested as to how much it costs to actually maintain these games that they'd rather close them than generate 4-5 figures in revenue a month.

Azusa

I'm very interested as to how much it costs to actually maintain these games that they'd rather close them than generate 4-5 figures in revenue a month.

Check Rage of Bahamut. I think they run for several months without any new content/events before they closed the server.

Rage of Bahamut
July 2, 2015 ·
We want to let you know about a significant change in the way we run Rage of Bahamut. From this month onward we're placing all events besides Onslaught on permanent hiatus. Events have been the core of Rage for a long time, so this isn't a decision we made lightly.

Rage of Bahamut
December 22, 2015 ·
It pains us to have to make this announcement, but the English version of Rage of Bahamut is closing.
When we were developing our app, we had relatively modest expectations. Digital card games were a niche genre outside Japan, and there was no guarantee that Rage of Bahamut would succeed. Without you, it certainly wouldn't have come this far. You helped make it one of the most popular games worldwide.
Our decision to close was a difficult one, but the mobile games market has shifted since Rage of Bahamut was released in 2012. Despite our efforts to keep the app going, it just isn't sustainable anymore.
This is the schedule for Rage of Bahamut in the coming months:
&#8226; Dec. 31st, 2015: RageMedal purchases will be disabled.
&#8226; Jan. 21th, 2016: The last Onslaught event will begin.
&#8226; Jan. 31st, 2016: In-app purchases will be disabled.
&#8226; Feb. 29th, 2016: Servers will shut down.

chrono01

It sounds like we'll be receiving Fate G/O news soon, probably a release date for the Global version.

"Masters! Your next mission will reveal big news! Along the way you'll find rest stops that grant you 3 Saint Quartz each. Continue to spread the word and you will be rewarded!"

https://www.facebook.com/FateGO.USA

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok

The raw server and customer support costs are one thing, but a lot of companies seem to factor in opportunity cost in dev talent and management mindshare and value that really highly.

I personally know of a mobile game that was pulling down US$600-800k a month, being supported by less than half a dozen people, but was shut down by the (extremely large) company because "we could probably make a better game with that team".

There are also tax benefits to be had in writing off the investment of a shut down game. And of course, if a game is using a license of any sort they might not be making enough to cover the licensing or renewal fees.

For those game studios like us without the luxury of having US$800k a month games to shut down on a whim, we tend to leave our games up as long as possible to earn every cent possible even if they have otherwise failed. Better to claw back what you can from the investment if you can. We only tend to shut stuff down and delist games entirely when the customer experience starts breaking down and a game is so outdated it is time consuming and costly to update it.

Shouta

I mean, I'm not hating the game; I'm just surprised that it's missing some of the really basic QoL stuff (normalized rank gain curve, all forms of daily farming unlocked by default, wide open inventory without need for slot payment, etc) that virtually all of their competition has implemented at this point. If anything I'm surprised more people don't take them hard to task for it.

There's one other bit of weirdness that I meant to note previously concerning the premium currency, too - there's no option in their purchase tiers for buying exactly enough for an 11-pull. That just strikes me as bizarre, as I all but know for a fact that "impulse whaling" is a huge driver of revenue for F/GO and Granblue, who both feature currency options right there for a group pull. I wonder what kind of metrics they were looking at when they first implemented it, because now it seems like a terrible, terrible idea and they're just making it easier for a person to justify to themselves "ehhhhh, no I don't think I'll purchase a full $50 worth of bravebux or go through the effort of $20 twice, and both are a lot anyway".

This feels like a weird thing to complain about, granted :V but it's just one more example of the apparent psychology of the game's design leaving me scratching my head. Mobage has, god be praised, moved beyond a fair deal of this, and I have to imagine it's contributing to FFBE not doing as well as its peers.

They've already implemented a lot of what you mentioned as Kouriozan points out. Global will be getting it pretty soon as their anniversary is coming up. It's almost guaranteed because they're starting new events soon that require a large amount of Stamina and players also need more stamina to take on the challenge fights as well.

GL rates for currency are a bit weird but JP ones are a bit more standard in regards to what the JP industry is doing as I recall, I can't check right now because of maintenance though. The weird numbers on the purchases might have to do with forcing multiple purchases but it also might be because the game gives a lot of currency out and the odd er numbers might make users more willing to fill out purchases because of what they have now. It'd be interesting to hear the exact reasoning.

FFBE's place in the mobile game space is pretty interesting. The type of players that are attracted to this game compared to others are pretty different for starters. IMO, the two biggest draws to a mobile game in JP are characters/story specifically targeting otaku now and multiplayer focused games. If you can get those right and then build a good game around it, it goes a long way. Most of the more popular ones do one or both of these.

FFBE doesn't really do either. It's selling point is a very orthodox RPG and single player experience on your phone but using the mobile game model. It uses quite a bit of Final Fantasy nostalgia but not to the extent that, say Record Keeper, does. So basically, they themselves have sort of weeded out the crowd and are left with folks that are more fickle than the ones that would spend gangbusters in their title without too many blinks of the eye or will spend to keep up and stay playing with friends.

It's sort of a shame because as a title, it's pretty amazing. The combat system is excellent and incredibly robust. The structure and progression of the game is incredibly friendly to all players whether they're a new one starting out, one that doesn't spend money, or pretty invested as a long time player. The story content started off shaky but has continually gotten better especially towards the end of Season (story) 1 and the start of Season 2. It really reminds me of the ol'16-bit RPGs in that area now that they've hit their stride.

If anything, the game is hurt by the habits of mobile game players. That constant need to have what's the latest hotness, looking for the easiest path instead of a challenge, etc . Most of the content in the game is designed to be done without Rainbow pulls, i.e. the highest (base) rarity characters but it often gets ignored. The game even make characters that have fallen out of the power curve stronger for fans of them by buffing their abilities and thus giving players a ton of options. Folks still bitch about it, though lol.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Have you ever heard of the website/company called Sensor Tower? You can look up worldwide monthly revenue on any app on both iOS and Android.

Whenever I hear of a game that's getting shut down, I usually check to see how they were doing the month before shutting down.

I've never heard of Aria, and I don't believe it ever saw a Global release, but let's look at a game like Monster Strike, of which the global version is shutting down in August.

That's $70,000 in revenue for April. After the 30% cut to Apple/Google, that leaves $49,000. I believe XFlag licenses the rights and has to pay Mixi royalties, which, let's estimate is about 15% of the $70,000, which is $10,500, leaving $38,500 to cover all overhead before being left with profit.

I doubt the game costs anywhere close to $38,500 to translate and maintain every month, but I could be wrong. Still, to shut down an app that's generating $70,000 a month shows that a lot of these games that shut down do some pretty solid numbers.

I checked when Chain Chronicle Global closed, and they were hitting six figures a month to its dying day, but apparently that wasn't enough for Gumi/SEGA. Too many hands in the cookie jar, I'd guess.

Also, that "rhythm" game (quotes because it was merely disguised as a rhythm game) IRiUM made $15,000 the month before closing, and that was a small studio.

XFlag was just mixi rebranding their games division.

Mixi is a now failed social platform (think MySpace), so they wanted to separate their game brand from that.

Jeffrey

They've already implemented a lot of what you mentioned as Kouriozan points out. Global will be getting it pretty soon as their anniversary is coming up. It's almost guaranteed because they're starting new events soon that require a large amount of Stamina and players also need more stamina to take on the challenge fights as well.

GL rates for currency are a bit weird but JP ones are a bit more standard in regards to what the JP industry is doing as I recall, I can't check right now because of maintenance though. The weird numbers on the purchases might have to do with forcing multiple purchases but it also might be because the game gives a lot of currency out and the odd er numbers might make users more willing to fill out purchases because of what they have now. It'd be interesting to hear the exact reasoning.

FFBE's place in the mobile game space is pretty interesting. The type of players that are attracted to this game compared to others are pretty different for starters. IMO, the two biggest draws to a mobile game in JP are characters/story specifically targeting otaku now and multiplayer focused games. If you can get those right and then build a good game around it, it goes a long way. Most of the more popular ones do one or both of these.

FFBE doesn't really do either. It's selling point is a very orthodox RPG and single player experience on your phone but using the mobile game model. It uses quite a bit of Final Fantasy nostalgia but not to the extent that, say Record Keeper, does. So basically, they themselves have sort of weeded out the crowd and are left with folks that are more fickle than the ones that would spend gangbusters in their title without too many blinks of the eye or will spend to keep up and stay playing with friends.

It's sort of a shame because as a title, it's pretty amazing. The combat system is excellent and incredibly robust. The structure and progression of the game is incredibly friendly to all players whether they're a new one starting out, one that doesn't spend money, or pretty invested as a long time player. The story content started off shaky but has continually gotten better especially towards the end of Season (story) 1 and the start of Season 2. It really reminds me of the ol'16-bit RPGs in that area now that they've hit their stride.

If anything, the game is hurt by the habits of mobile game players. That constant need to have what's the latest hotness, looking for the easiest path instead of a challenge, etc . Most of the content in the game is designed to be done without Rainbow pulls, i.e. the highest (base) rarity characters but it often gets ignored. The game even make characters that have fallen out of the power curve stronger for fans of them by buffing their abilities and thus giving players a ton of options. Folks still bitch about it, though lol.

The issue is the feeling of accomplishment for me lol. Don't have the best gear or squad so it feels like a Whaled out friend carries me too much so victories don't feel earned, but without using them my dps feel too low and mp is an issue lol.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
OecwwzFl.png

Just an example of the Aria drop rates now that the game is dead. 8 out of 10 URs. lol

It's almost not fun to see that many URs in a draw when you know it's guaranteed...

Dandte

A King of Fighters gacha game was released.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/kof98-um-ol/id1207224964?mt=8

Looked pretty good, been out in Asia for a few years. So I try it. Put an hour or 2 into it. Enjoyed my time enough to give it a few days.

I go to log in today. Download an update.

All of my progress is wiped.

Okay then. Thanks for nothing, jerks!

Looks like one of these korea/asian ghetto games which take a well known ip and create a game around it which is actually solid. Like the recently released Digimon Game Digital world ir the incredible well made Mario rpg game. It looked soooo good.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Looks like one of these korea/asian ghetto games which take a well known ip and create a game around it which is actually solid. Like the recently released Digimon Game Digital world ir the incredible well made Mario rpg game. It looked soooo good.

That's a pretty fair assessment. The game isn't too shabby, surprisingly.

Doesn't look any different than same genre games, except character art portrait move with boob physic. :O
How many gacha games move from left to right?

FF style RPGs have the protagonists on the right side, and usually the heroes are supposed to face left and move from right to left.

chrono01

First (?) gameplay video of SINoALICE.
Here.

Doesn't look any different than same genre games, except character art portrait move with boob physic. :O
It does look a bit "by-the-books", but I'd definitely play it if it were localized in English. I love the art, and I'm sure the story would be just as interesting.

As for it being localized in English...the only thing that gives me hope is how well Nier Automata did and Yoko Taro also developed this. Maybe the reason they released gameplay information during a Japanese stream now is because they'll have the game showcased at SE's booth during E3 in a few days. That's the dream for me, anyway, but yeah it'll probably never happen.

Damn it, SE. You even gave us that horrible Justice Monsters Five gatcha game (although, that probably had more to do with it being a FFXV tie-in), at least give us this!

SE's Guardian Codex officially dead.

Lasted 7 months.
I have to give them props though for releasing JP and English at same time.
Unfortunately, not the right game people wanted.

chrono01

SE's Guardian Codex officially dead.

Lasted 7 months.
I have to give them props though for releasing JP and English at same time.
Unfortunately, not the right game people wanted.
Welp.

Yeah, nice to see them release Japanese/English versions concurrently (SINoALICE PLEASE!!!), but the art-style killed this game for me (I never even tried it because of this). Generic City. :(

As for it being localized in English...the only thing that gives me hope is how well Nier Automata did and Yoko Taro also developed this. Maybe the reason they released gameplay information during a Japanese stream now is because they'll have the game showcased at SE's booth during E3 in a few days. That's the dream for me, anyway, but yeah it'll probably never happen.

I've never realized I wanted something I cannot have so badly so fast before.

Dinjoralo

Yeesh... I ended up not bothering with Exvius after a while. It just went too complicated for me with each character having gear and magic you needed to craft and manage. It just felt like a clusterfudgicle, to me.

Though looking at that SensorTower site... Holy crap, it makes serious bank. Jesus. My personal gacha-type game is Mobius Final Fantasy, and that... actually, I think it's making good money. Hard to tell when there's separate apps for China, Japan, Korea, and the rest of the world, but it adds up to about 910k on android alone. Contrast Exvius's 3 million...

But uhhh, yeah I like Mobius FF. It's nice with how it streamlines a lot of mechanics while still having plenty of depth and customization. Nyeah.

bjork

Do communities run private servers for phone games after they die, they way people do for old PC games? Is it even possible with phone games?

Do communities run private servers for phone games after they die, they way people do for old PC games? Is it even possible with phone games?
It is possible depending of how determined the fans are. I haven't seen any example of private servers happening but in the case of Pokemon Go fans have deep knowledge of how the game works (used to make bots) and could create servers. Phone games can be keep alive in emulators once phone OS stop supporting them.

Top Bottom