• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Music (Pop, rock and all 'dat) |OT|

I'm really excited for Miho Tsujibayashi's debut album. This song is so gorgeous (it also just got a video that's blocked in the US if you prefer).

New Shugo Tokumaru.

Fookn amazing. Inclined to say best single of theirs post-THE. Too early to conclude obviously. Twists and turns and then pays off emotionally with the ending climax. Sensing a slight psych touch as welll.

I like how they follow that real skronky bridge with some of the most powerful vocals Ikumi has recorded. It's like they're neither moving in a more experimental or pop direction, but both at the same time.

Aizo

Banned

For real!!! I'm so excited for that album. Also, I'm planning on going to Virgin Babylon Night 3. Night 2 was an incredible show, and seeing Vampillia live was one of the best performances I've seen. I wasn't too in to them before seeing them live; I just went to see world's end girlfriend mostly.

I wish I had someone to go to that show with! I don't think I noticed any other non-Japanese people at Virgin Babylon Night 2, and I have zero friends that listen to that stuff in Japan.

RIP and salute to Milky in NMB. Genuine provocateurs in that hive of docility have to be applauded.

now Sayanee just needs to announce graduation for NMB to take SKE's "least relevant group" crown. pretty much all of them except HKT and NGT are stagnating really bad.

--

Cf-3bNxWcAA_8YJ.jpg:large

i don't think twitter's getting better than this today so I might just close the tab

akileese

I was kind of hoping this wasn't true and it was just an April Fool's prank, even though Japan doesn't really do that, but Tetsu left Envy. For those that don't listen to hardcore, they've been around since '92 and are a massive influence on pretty much every American hardcore/post hardcore band out there. I know this thread tends to be more pop, but this absolutely devastated me. I'd been listening to them since about 2000 and I only got to see them once (last summer actually). I was really hoping to get to see them again when my wife and I went to Japan next year but it really won't be the same. Boo life. Boo.

Jintor

I know some of you are watching TV segments, any service that has japanese subtitles as well? Even if it's the shitty baked-in 'omg so random' subtitles all tv apparently has around here

Aizo

Banned
I was kind of hoping this wasn't true and it was just an April Fool's prank, even though Japan doesn't really do that, but Tetsu left Envy. For those that don't listen to hardcore, they've been around since '92 and are a massive influence on pretty much every American hardcore/post hardcore band out there. I know this thread tends to be more pop, but this absolutely devastated me. I'd been listening to them since about 2000 and I only got to see them once (last summer actually). I was really hoping to get to see them again when my wife and I went to Japan next year but it really won't be the same. Boo life. Boo.
Don't let the pop talk scare you away. Lots of us like tons of variety.

I've only seen one post hardcore Japanese band play live, and I was really turned off by the fans being the same as those in the West (doing crazy kicks during mosh pits and shit). As far as heavier stuff goes, Japanese Black Metal, Power Metal, and Visual Kei concerts are extremely fun.

Post some links to some good songs? Lots of my friends in high school listened to post hardcore, so I've listened to a number of bands.

wow, terrible news.

Kurita

I bought their latest album for my sister's birthday, had to tell her "Well, hope you'll enjoy it cause you'll have to wait for a loooong time since the vocalist is leaving the band"

akileese

Don't let the pop talk scare you away. Lots of us like tons of variety.

I've only seen one post hardcore Japanese band play live, and I was really turned off by the fans being the same as those in the West (doing crazy kicks during mosh pits and shit). As far as heavier stuff goes, Japanese Black Metal, Power Metal, and Visual Kei concerts are extremely fun.

Post some links to some good songs? Lots of my friends in high school listened to post hardcore, so I've listened to a number of bands.

Their new album was AMAZING and hilariously, it made them significantly more popular in the West over the last year or so.

Footsteps in the Distance is a great song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6lEYE457iw

Two Isolated Souls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FSm7i0rVl8

Dreams Coming to an End (which is one of my favorite songs ever. Not just by them)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eGH8xRp9PI

The whole thing left a real sour taste in my mouth. It definitely came out of left field (they're organizing a musical festival right now so the timing is incredibly bizarre) but it is what it is. I've got their vinyl box set and all their albums on CD so I'm just going to love what they've put out rather than hoping for them to continue their legacy.

I can't really see them going on without Tetsu and I'd be kind of shocked if they did. I'm whatever they do going forward will be fantastic, I just don't think it'll be Envy. You can't just replace a singer after two and a half decades.

Aizo

Banned
When I heard the preview the other day, I didn't think it sounded interesting. I feel the same now. It's not bad, but it's not good. Meh is a good response.

Kansoku

But, Cosmic Explorer is a good album.

Debatable. It could've been great. The new songs are all pretty good, but the B-side choice was disappointing, the album versions are kinda bad, at least most of them, and the singles weren't too hot either. The album also feels all over the place. Nakata has been incorporating some western EDM stuff in his songs (especially in CAPSULE, see WAVE RUNNER), which I don't really like.

And even then, it may be good, but certainly not the best 2016.

llehuty

Debatable. It could've been great. The new songs are all pretty good, but the B-side choice was disappointing, the album versions are kinda bad, at least most of them, and the singles weren't too hot either. The album also feels all over the place. Nakata has been incorporating some western EDM stuff in his songs (especially in CAPSULE, see WAVE RUNNER), which I don't really like.

And even then, it may be good, but certainly not the best 2016.
Yeah yeah, I'm not claiming that the album is the best of 2016.

I still feel like the way they structure the eras make the albums a bit lackluster, even if they aren't. I mean, we already heard half of the album before it, and the album mixes try to mix it up things a bit, but it can easily backfire since there is a point of reference to compare it with.

I feel like the album would be more enjoyable to people that don't follow them closely.

I would like if they did the western approach for the releases, with some singles before the album, one for the album release and 2 or 3 for the following months.

llehuty

Singles after the album is something I don't understand
To give more promo and sell more copies of the album? Maybe tied with a repackage or remixes? I would be ok with less singles also, but the sweet MVs *.*

I just don't want the albums to feel redundant or like a greatest hits, when they aren't.

Kurita

most parts of the world care about selling albums after the first two weeks of release

To give more promo and sell more copies of the album? Maybe tied with a repackage or remixes? I would be ok with less singles also, but the sweet MVs *.*

I just don't want the albums to feel redundant or like a greatest hits, when they aren't.

I see.

I just want something new after an album so that's why it bugs me.

Kansoku

Yeah yeah, I'm not claiming that the album is the best of 2016.

I still feel like the way they structure the eras make the albums a bit lackluster, even if they aren't. I mean, we already heard half of the album before it, and the album mixes try to mix it up things a bit, but it can easily backfire since there is a point of reference to compare it with.

I feel like the album would be more enjoyable to people that don't follow them closely.

I would like if they did the western approach for the releases, with some singles before the album, one for the album release and 2 or 3 for the following months.

Oh yeah, absolutely. I've made a point of not getting singles anymore due to that. I first heard TOKIMEKI LIGHTS on the album and was pleasantly surprised (tho I have no idea what is different from the single version), and I still haven't heard indigo la End's 心雨 (neither it's B-sides, so 2 "new" songs when the album releases). MV's for singles are hard to resist tho.

4+ singles are way too much and they start putting them out really quickly (Sweet Refrain came out a month after LEVEL3). It doesn't help that they also put a lot of the B-Sides on the album. The album versions should help but they generally are worse than the singles. What's the point of putting out a single if when you put it on the album you change it and make it loses what made it interesting in the first place? Either make it a lot different (Example: &#38632;&#12398;&#12497;&#12524;&#12540;&#12489; new recording of 10-9) or don't touch it :<

If you're in the UK I hope you're planning to see Otoboke Beaver on their tour.

Apr 29
The Shacklewell Arms
London, UK

May 01
The Windmill, Brixton
Brixton, UK

May 02
The Tin at The Coal Vaults
Coventry, UK

May 03
The Pipeline
London, UK

May 05
The Maze
Nottingham, UK

May 06
The Musician
Leicester, UK

One of last week's releases was an album by solo electronic weirdo Haruko Tajima. Might be interesting.

Avandoned's last single as four members is Magical Symphonic Girl, the song written by Hana Tsuruuchi, out April 30.

Top Bottom