• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jason Schreier: PlayStation 5 Pro Shows the Futility of the Video-Game Graphics Race

cormack12

Gold Member
Mod edit: please note regarding the ps4/switch reference, the original article was updated to specify ps3 after the thread was started.

Source: https://web.archive.org/web/2024091...nYW1lLWdyYXBoaWNzLXJhY2U/c3JuZD11bmRlZmluZWQ=

The most striking thing about this week’s PlayStation 5 Pro reveal wasn’t the internal power or sticker price (although that one was pretty shocking). It was the games.

.....lead architect Mark Cerny showed footage of games including The Last of Us Part II, Ghost of Tsushima, Hogwarts Legacy, Horizon Forbidden West and Gran Turismo 7. One common factor? They were all also released on PlayStation 4 — and look perfectly fine on the 2013 console.

Another common factor? They all have incredible graphics — despite most of the games being years old.

The PS5 has failed to beat the PS4’s growth and is lagging behind it on sales, at least in part because so many players are sticking with older, less graphically intensive games, such as Fortnite and Grand Theft Auto Online, that can be played on the old consoles. (An industry downturn and a lack of big-name exclusive games also don’t help.)

Meanwhile, the most popular console on the market is the Nintendo Switch, which has sold 143 million units despite having graphical capabilities equivalent to a PS4.

200.gif

Its successor, expected to be released next year, will likely also be underpowered compared to its competitors — and will also likely outsell them all.

The PS5 Pro doesn’t feel like the console of the future — it feels like the vestige of a rapidly disappearing past.

Last edited by a moderator:

SkylineRKR

Those games looked really fine on PS4 Pro. All they needed was 60fps which PS5 delivered already. Besides, they're old. And Hogwarts doesn't even seem to do 60fps on PS5 Pro?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Source: https://web.archive.org/web/2024091...nYW1lLWdyYXBoaWNzLXJhY2U/c3JuZD11bmRlZmluZWQ=

The most striking thing about this week’s PlayStation 5 Pro reveal wasn’t the internal power or sticker price (although that one was pretty shocking). It was the games.

.....lead architect Mark Cerny showed footage of games including The Last of Us Part II, Ghost of Tsushima, Hogwarts Legacy, Horizon Forbidden West and Gran Turismo 7. One common factor? They were all also released on PlayStation 4 — and look perfectly fine on the 2013 console.

Another common factor? They all have incredible graphics — despite most of the games being years old.

The PS5 has failed to beat the PS4’s growth and is lagging behind it on sales, at least in part because so many players are sticking with older, less graphically intensive games, such as Fortnite and Grand Theft Auto Online, that can be played on the old consoles. (An industry downturn and a lack of big-name exclusive games also don’t help.)

Meanwhile, the most popular console on the market is the Nintendo Switch, which has sold 143 million units despite having graphical capabilities equivalent to a PS4.

200.gif

Its successor, expected to be released next year, will likely also be underpowered compared to its competitors — and will also likely outsell them all.

The PS5 Pro doesn’t feel like the console of the future — it feels like the vestige of a rapidly disappearing past.

Yawn. Another reliably idiotic take. Did PS4 have to contend with the disruption of a global pandemic in its launch year? Or the economic downturn that's followed the lockdowns? Does Switch doubling-up as mobile device not mean anything?

Seriously, Schreier just isn't trying. Stop giving this muppet attention.

DaGwaphics

It's news to me that the Switch is considered to be as powerful as a PS4. :messenger_grinning_smiling: But that is splitting hairs.

There is just no way to deny the diminishing returns in regards to graphics at this point. I know some hate that thought, but it just seems to be a reality at this point. Maybe the first rounds of graphene gpus will shake that up.

diffusionx

Gold Member
He's not wrong on that. But like, if you talk about PC vidya on this forum, you'd think that 4090s are the most popular GPUs and poor people get 4070s. When in reality, people with 4070 and above discrete GPUs (70/80/90 and Supers) is something like ~5% of the GPU market if you go by the Steam hardware survey. The 3060 by itself has a larger share.

So that's just where we are at now. The PS5 Pro isn't for normies. I would suspect for many of them, a base PS4 is still fine, and that's great.

Last edited:
It's news to me that the Switch is considered to be as powerful as a PS4. :messenger_grinning_smiling: But that is splitting hairs.

There is just no way to deny the diminishing returns in regards to graphics at this point. I know some hate that thought, but it just seems to be a reality at this point. Maybe the first rounds of graphene gpus will shake that up.
Its more like an ps3/Xbox 360 graphically.

No price cut is what's really holding the PS5 back. I'd imagine a potential September showing with some new game announcements should push sales a bit along with GTA6. I'm not even convinced the Pro won't sell beyond expectations - People were way off with how they thought the demand was for the Portal.

75% choose those sweet 60 frames on their older games, tvs, and apparently now systems. Rest go Pro.

Lokaum D+

200.gif

dave chappelle drugs GIF

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
The premise of this continues to confirm what I said about the campaign against the PS5 Pro.

The Switch has been successful, it is not equivalent to the PS4, and it's success isn't simply a matter of graphical fidelity, nor will its ability to replicate its success.

Nintendo sold two products in one. Why not compare the Switch to the DS? Which it hasn't outsold. This is nonsense, just as it is nonsense to think that everyone should have jumped from PS4 to PS5 at this point. By this time next year, the PS5 will have become 6th best selling home console of all time... and once GTA6 has had its fun, it'll be the 5th best selling home console of all time if not the 4th... All while being more expensive than the PS4.

Gran Turismo 7 on PS4 is 1080p60 and Gran Turismo 7 on PS5 Pro which already had a 120fps mode is 4K60 with ray tracing and apparently an 8k mode... These are not the same, nor do they play the same.

These are actual hit pieces...

Noun​

[edit]
hit piece (plural hit pieces)

1. (journalism) A published article or post aiming to sway public opinion, especially by presenting false or biased information in a way that appears objective and truthful.

bundylove

200.gif

eVbD5GZ.gif

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
"Meanwhile, the most popular console on the market is the Nintendo Switch, which has sold 143 million units despite having graphical capabilities equivalent to a PS4."

Jon Stewart What GIF
Y’all motherfuckers got your hand on a Switch 2 while I’m still rocking the old one? 143 million? How did I miss this?

I hope next month when Switch 2 is rumored to be announced, presumably with a ton of last-gen remasters, that Schreier will put an article out with the same criticisms towards Nintendo.

He probably won't, though.

Last edited:

nnytk

Neo Member
Sony and Xbox need to shift the focus towards joy and fun again. Nintendo Switch has been a huge success because their games bring us joy. To me, Mario Odyssey and Zelda Totk felt similar to playing Diablo 2 or Team Fortress 2, back in the day. Games that are an absolute joy. Instant immersion. Polished as fuck. Peak gaming.

Look at the upcoming Zelda game. It's weird, creative and experimental. Yeah, performance and IQ look pretty fucking bad. But I'm kind of tempted to play it because it looks so fresh and polished.

I don't want Sony to copy Nintendo. But there is an obvious void, I believe we all want more joy and fun from games. Astrobot is showing the way. Sony should do more stuff like that.

Edit: In the meantime, I'm happy to support Sony and I can't wait to play Dragon's Dogma 2 on a Pro.

Last edited:
People are seriously treating this thing like you wont be able to play ps5 games anymore unless you go out there and buy the Pro. Even Alex on DF had to tell the team, "Well they can just buy the regular PS5". This whole conversation is being talked about like it's the PS5 pro or nothing. The regular PS5 still works great, I love it. I'm also willing to sell it and buy the upgrade but I'd be fine without it.

JimboJones

The premise of this continues to confirm what I said about the campaign against the PS5 Pro.

The Switch has been successful, it is not equivalent to the PS4, and it's success isn't simply a matter of graphical fidelity, nor will its ability to replicate its success.

Nintendo sold two products in one. Why not compare the Switch to the DS? Which it hasn't outsold. This is nonsense, just as it is nonsense to think that everyone should have jumped from PS4 to PS5 at this point. By this time next year, the PS5 will have become 6th best selling home console of all time... and once GTA6 has had its fun, it'll be the 5th best selling home console of all time if not the 4th... All while being more expensive than the PS4.

Gran Turismo 7 on PS4 is 1080p60 and Gran Turismo 7 on PS5 Pro which already had a 120fps mode is 4K60 with ray tracing and apparently an 8k mode... These are not the same, nor do they play the same.

These are actual hit pieces...

Noun​

[edit]
hit piece (plural hit pieces)

1. (journalism) A published article or post aiming to sway public opinion, especially by presenting false or biased information in a way that appears objective and truthful.

They did but it doesn't fit the narrative he's trying to create.... A narrative that is clear as day.
The only narrative that's trying to be created here is posts like this. C'mon my guy, go touch grass, it's just an opinion piece, potentially a shitty one depending who you ask 😂.

Last edited:

Fbh

Gold Member
I said it in another thread but IMO last gen we reached the "good enough" point with graphics.
They can obviously still get better but I don't feel like they enhance the game in a meaningful way anymore.
Case in point some of the best games this year (at least IMO...and in reviews ) aren't particularly graphically demanding: Astrobot, Infinite Wealth, Stellar Blade, SMTV Vengeance, Unicorn Overlord, Shadow of the Eardtree, etc

Can’t disagree, late PS4 games still look fantastic and most people are happy with them

Yup. A base Ps5 can play games that look like this at good resolutions and 60fps.
It's not that newer games don't look better but the diminishing returns have gone to the point where I'd rather have devs make games that look and run well on current hardware instead of games that need to run at 720p to achieve 60fps or ask me to buy some new $800 piece of hardware for graphical upgrades which IMO aren't that meaningful anymore and aren't really enhancing my gameplay experience.

Last edited:
Sony and Xbox need to shift the focus towards joy and fun again. Nintendo Switch has been a huge success because their games bring us joy. To me, Mario Odyssey and Zelda Totk felt similar to playing Diablo 2 or Team Fortress 2, back in the day. Games that are an absolute joy. Instant immersion. Polished as fuck. Peak gaming.

Look at the upcoming Zelda game. It's weird, creative and experimental. Yeah, performance and IQ look pretty fucking bad. But I'm kind of tempted to play it because it looks so fresh and polished.

I don't want Sony to copy Nintendo. But there is an obvious void, I believe we all want more joy and fun from games. Astrobot is showing the way. Sony should do more stuff like that.

Edit: In the meantime, I'm happy to support Sony and I can't wait to play Dragon's Dogma 2 on a Pro.
To each their own. You say you want all that stuff but I had a switch and personally had to sell it because I realized I'm just not into Nintendo games. I thought they were ok at best. Except for XBC2 which I thought was fantastic.

Let Nintendo continue to do Nintendo things. Let Sony/MS continue to do what they are doing. They don't all need to be doing the same thing or making the same kind of games.

Top Bottom