• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Grubb: A State of Play is scheduled for September

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Usually Grubb is pretty right about SoPs, but I think he might be wrong about this one.

September end is TGS. Sony would want to do it (if any) before TGS. Also, Grubb said last time that there would be a Showcase, not an SOP, and Sony did an SOP instead. May be the opposite once again.

King Dazzar

So on one hand, we have Xbox who cant stop talking, to their detriment. And on the other hand, we have Sony who don't communicate enough. Maybe some where in the middle would be good.
On The One Hand Choices GIF by GEICO

//DEVIL//

Helldivers 2, Stellar Blade, Rise of the Ronin, FF VII Rebirth, Spiderman 2, Astrobot all in a 12-month period.

are-you-not-entertained-gladiator.gif

Let me know when PS5 actually has a dry period without exclusive content.
All the games you mentioned are 3rd party games outside of 2.

And I already own steller blade and final fantasy 7 rebirth .

I am wondering where are Sony first party titles that are actually considered heavy hitters.

Frwrd

Sony, all I need is three-hours of a Mark Cerny presentation and then another three with the break down.

Another trash State of Play? This has got to be a joke or just wrong. The last five SOPs have all been absolutely terrible.

It has to be a Showcase. We as gamers need a Showcase, because we have no idea what Sony first parties are doing right now, other a few more trash GAAS games. Sony, as a console manufacturer, needs it to be a Showcase as well, if there really is a PS5 Pro coming out this year.

Audiophile

I'd expect a Pro to be at a PS Meeting / Road To.. maybe a Showcase as a footnote.

SoP just says to me a selection of mostly A/AA game trailers or a big gameplay demo for one heavy hitter.

GymWolf

Gold Member
It's not gonna be about ps5 pro, they need a big ass game to showcase the console and fucking astrobot doesn't cut it.

I bet that ps5 pro is gonna be presented when they are gonna have a 10 min vertical slice of something between sushima 2, new corey game, new bend game or new bluepoint game ready to show.

Edit: or ds2.

Last edited:
Unacceptable

Who is running this clown show

This is why ExBox being garbage is bad for all of us.

Sony has literally zero competition

Bingo. We've been at peak lazy, arrogant Sony nearly this whole generation. Where the fuck are the first party games?

At this point i expect 30 min of deathloop legendary edition presentation...

Don't...

Give them...

Ideas...

Expect it to be quite Japan focused ahead of TGS.

So, like, devoid of politics, Gen Z neon color schemes, and live service/GAAS? I'm good with that.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Bingo. We've been at peak lazy, arrogant Sony nearly this whole generation. Where the fuck are the first party games?

Don't...

Give them...

Ideas...

So, like, devoid of politics, Gen Z neon color schemes, and live service/GAAS? I'm good with that.
I think helmet has already a jar full of bad ideas to cover the next 5 years even without me :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
I think we might be at the point of playing semantics between State of Plays and Showcases.

The PlayStation Showcase in 2023 was 1 hour 14 minutes. The State of Play this January was 42 minutes.

The PS4 Pro keynote was 39 minutes. Cerny's E3 interview was less than 7 minutes.

So I think the frustration here is probably balancing the PS4 Pro and some game announcements/reveals. We only really know of a handful of games slated for the next 12 months or so: Until Dawn, Fairgames, and Death Stranding 2.

If this is a state of play, it makes sense that we won't get announcements from Bend, Naughty Dog, or Santa Monica nor are we likely to see Wolverine or Venom.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Yep. Last big announcement prior to Astro was Wolverine back in 2021. That was also the last showcase worth a damn from Sony.
Fairgames definitely counts as a big announcement, regardless of how people feel about it. If I had to guess what is likely for 2025, it's Death Stranding 2, Fairgames, and Venom.

I don't think Ghost 2 is ready considering Schreir is talking about how long things take for them on twitter this year. At best, you may see a trailer for some kind of small scale new IP from Naughty Dog since we all know TLoU3 isn't ready anytime soon. Housemarque can do small stuff, so maybe them. Bend is likely still set back from Factions. SSM is probably still churning away with help from Bluepointe. If they can at least get a trailer out for their new game from Barlog, that's at least something, even though it's likely 2026 at the earliest. God of War spinoff is probably happening. Best case guess is hope for a Ghost 2, Naughty Dog new IP, or SSM new IP trailer for a 2026 game. But I'm just guessing obviously. You would think any of those would be at a Showcase, but who knows.

Also Marathon of course.

Last edited:

near

Gold Member
Another trash State of Play? This has got to be a joke or just wrong. The last five SOPs have all been absolutely terrible.

It has to be a Showcase. We as gamers need a Showcase, because we have no idea what Sony first parties are doing right now, other a few more trash GAAS games. Sony, as a console manufacturer, needs it to be a Showcase as well, if there really is a PS5 Pro coming out this year.
To be fair 2025-26 is when we'll see Sony's big studios announcing and releasing stuff, we might get lucky and see one of those projects at this SoP running on a PS5 Pro.

skit_data

Gold Member
I don't really make a distinction between showcase and State of Plays anymore because I've seen godawful showcases, great state of plays with several 1st party games and vice versa.

kaizenkko

Things at Sony are really bad these days. They plan to release a new console this year, but are to do this without showing the games that we can play on it? Sincerely, if this is true, than the damage cause in the first-party studios are really bigger than we think

To be fair 2025-26 is when we'll see Sony's big studios announcing and releasing stuff, we might get lucky and see one of those projects at this SoP running on a PS5 Pro.
Yeah, ok, but by 2026 we'll already be gearing up for the PS6. It should not have taken Sony 5 to 6 years to make a PS5 worth buying.

jm89

Things at Sony are really bad these days. They plan to release a new console this year, but are to do this without showing the games that we can play on it? Sincerely, if this is true, than the damage cause in the first-party studios are really bigger than we think
SMH it's a pro not an entire new console.

Why do you need exclusives to justify the pro?

It's advantages will be seen in any game that gets a patch for the pro.

Last edited:

kaizenkko

SMH it's a pro not an entire new console.

Why do you need exclusives to justify the pro?

It's advantages will be seen in any game that gets a patch for the pro.
Sony needs to show what their first-party studios are working on, being the Pro a real thing or no.

Naughty Dog, Bend, Sucker Punch, Bluepoint and others should have at least some teaser to show. If they don't, the only thing I can think is the these studios are in big big trouble.

Last edited:

nial

But if we do indeed get a State of Play, I would expect it to be mostly XDEV (especially Japan) projects, which I'm happy with. The shitshow regarding Sony on this website, tho...

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Sony needs to show what their first-party studios are working on, being the Pro a real thing or no.

Naughty Dog, Bend, Sucker Punch, Bluepoint and others should have at least some teaser to show. If they don't, the only thing I can think is the these studios are in big big trouble.
Sucker Punch has always been small, and slow. It's not that surprising.

Bluepoint is now a support studio.

Naughty Dog and Bend we already heard had major trouble with Factions.

Topher

Gold Member
Fairgames definitely counts as a big announcement, regardless of how people feel about it. If I had to guess what is likely for 2025, it's Death Stranding 2, Fairgames, and Venom.

I don't think Ghost 2 is ready considering Schreir is talking about how long things take for them on twitter this year. At best, you may see a trailer for some kind of small scale new IP from Naughty Dog since we all know TLoU3 isn't ready anytime soon. Housemarque can do small stuff, so maybe them. Bend is likely still set back from Factions. SSM is probably still churning away with help from Bluepointe. If they can at least get a trailer out for their new game from Barlog, that's at least something, even though it's likely 2026 at the earliest. God of War spinoff is probably happening. Best case guess is hope for a Ghost 2, Naughty Dog new IP, or SSM new IP trailer for a 2026 game. But I'm just guessing obviously. You would think any of those would be at a Showcase, but who knows.

Also Marathon of course.

Eh....don't care about fairgames and really do not consider that at the same level of a ND or SSM game at all. But that's me. I think anything slated for 2025 or 2026 needs to be shown soon. Been repeating that line for two years now.

kaizenkko

Sucker Punch should be able to delivery their next game in 2026, so I think it's fine to announce in the next big showcase. Naughty Dog is a big studio, there's (presumably) a separate team working in other game.

About Bend I can agree that maybe they need more time, also agree about Bluepoint. But Sucker Punch and Naughty Dog both should be able to show us something, or as I said, those studios are with a big mismanagement trouble.

near

Gold Member

Sucker Punch isn't really that small and has been cooking their next project since 2020. We'll see it by 2025.
Bluepoint finished with Demon's Souls in 2020. Apparently they're working on their own IP. We'll see it by 2025.
Bend have been working on something since '19/20. If we don't see it at this SoP, we'll see it by 2025.
Naughty Dog released TLoU2 in 2020. If we don't see their next project by 2025, heads must roll at that studio, regardless of what happened to factions.

Most of Sony's internal studios just haven't been ready to show anything, and it's in line with typical dev cycles.

Punished Miku

Sucker Punch should be able to delivery their next game in 2026, so I think it's fine to announce in the next big showcase. Naughty Dog is a big studio, there's (presumably) a separate team working in other game.

About Bend I can agree that maybe they need more time, also agree about Bluepoint. But Sucker Punch and Naughty Dog both should be able to show us something, or as I said, those studios are with a big mismanagement trouble.
We haven't heard anything about mismanagement at Sucker Punch, and they're within a predictable time table so far. Just saying, I'm personally not worried about them yet.

Bend seems like they were possibly / maybe working on Days Gone 2 (scrapped), Uncharted (scrapped), Factions (scrapped) and now maybe a live service game. All that spells massive delay.

Naughty Dog has been hinting at a smaller scale game, and a new IP. They're obviously a skilled studio so it's possible they can get that going quickly, or it's already in the works. But I think they'll be sweating bullets to get TLoU3 done by 2027.

I think the clear next "big" game is going to be from Barlog, who I think is better than Naughty Dog anyway.

But yeah, any of these teams can put out a trailer anytime they want, even if development literally hasn't even started.

Last edited:

nial

Also, at the end of September? Doesn't Jeff Grubb know that TGS is also at the end of September? Why would they have a digital showcase (that is also revealing the PS5 Pro) around that time, exactly?
Once again, BULLSHITTING.

Top Bottom