• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Grubb: A State of Play is scheduled for September

saintjules

Gold Member
Just a guess. I think there will be a dedicated showing of the Pro that mirrors the PS4 Pro keynote. 45 minutes to showcase it, what it can do with the current games out, release date and price, all in one sitting.

A SoP dedicated to hardware feels a bit off as I think they will still want to showcase games first and foremost. So my bet is we don't see it there, but with a keynote style presentation beforehand.

Last edited:

near

Gold Member
Just a guess. I think there will be a dedicated showing of the Pro that mirrors the PS4 Pro keynote. 45 minutes to showcase it, what it can do, release date and price in one sitting.

A SoP dedicated to hardware feels a bit off as I think they will still want to showcase games first and foremost. So my bet is we don't see it there, but with a keynote style presentation beforehand.
I don't think they need to make a big deal out of the PS5 Pro, a 2-5min segment in the SoP, with an additional blog post should suffice imo.

Fake

Gold Member
If those remasters included Bloodborne and Gravity Rush 1 & 2, I'd be fine with that. These series seem to be the only first party games that Sony refuses to acknowledge.

Nah, I don't trust Sony to do a Bloodborne remaster, never.

They should leave From Software with that mission.

Topher

Gold Member
I don't think they need to make a big deal out of the PS5 Pro, a 2-5min segment in the SoP, with an additional blog post should suffice imo.

Agree. Most of it has already leaked anyway. Just show us what it looks like, how much it costs and when it will be available. No need to spend a shitload of time going over the tech. Announce some damn games.

StueyDuck

A 90 minute "future of concord" presentation.

2 new characters. Each of them all sorts of genders and pronouns, rumors are that we might even hear a new pronoun that's not been said before.

Please be excited

saintjules

Gold Member

Agree. Most of it has already leaked anyway. Just show us what it looks like, how much it costs and when it will be available. No need to spend a shitload of time going over the tech. Announce some damn games.

I guess I could agree, but I feel like Mark Cerny will want to do a presentation to show off the games capitalizing on the features of the hardware, all with the technical jargon mixed in. Especially for those who are not yet in the PS5 ecosystem, casuals, etc.

Again, just a guess.

Last edited:

nial

If those remasters included Bloodborne and Gravity Rush 1 & 2, I'd be fine with that. These series seem to be the only first party games that Sony refuses to acknowledge.
Bloodborne gets acknowledged all the time, this ain't Oreshika (oh god, pleaaaaase god, can I have more please? more more more more, I can't take this anymore, I WOULD EVEN TAKE A REMAKE OF THE PS VITA SEQUEL)

kaizenkko

We haven't heard anything about mismanagement at Sucker Punch, and they're within a predictable time table so far. Just saying, I'm personally not worried about them yet.

Bend seems like they were possibly / maybe working on Days Gone 2 (scrapped), Uncharted (scrapped), Factions (scrapped) and now maybe a live service game. All that spells massive delay.

Naughty Dog has been hinting at a smaller scale game, and a new IP. They're obviously a skilled studio so it's possible they can get that going quickly, or it's already in the works. But I think they'll be sweating bullets to get TLoU3 done by 2027.

I think the clear next "big" game is going to be from Barlog, who I think is better than Naughty Dog anyway.

But yeah, any of these teams can put out a trailer anytime they want, even if development literally hasn't even started.
Bend started to working in a new IP in 2022, because of that I agreed that they maybe need some time.

Sony Santa Monica delivered GOW Ragnarok in 2022, and a great expansion for it in 2023. If they manage to launch another game before Naughty Dog, I don't even know what to think. lol

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Bend started to working in a new IP in 2022, because of that I agreed that they maybe need some time.

Sony Santa Monica delivered GOW Ragnarok in 2022, and a great expansion for it in 2023. If they manage to launch another game before Naughty Dog, I don't even know what to think. lol
Well we know Naughty Dog got TLoU1 out. That counts. TLoU2 had that roguelike mode. Factions is toast, also counts. It wouldn't really be that surprising to me at all to see SSM first.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
As several have said it was a totally open secret at Gamescom plus like Topher Topher said we literally know everything about it specs wise so I agree we don't need a Showcase on it

Blog post, show off DS2 running on it then have them running several games at TGS

I seriously don't think they have enough to show right now to even warrant a full blown showcase

Fake

Gold Member
Demon Souls remaster is great

Debatable. Some folks find good, others don't. I never like the modifications Demons Souls, both in visual and the OST. OST and enviroment theme was in fact destructive in comparison with the base Demon Souls. Very anti-atmospheric.

If you want to look at every single rock/grass photo realistic graphic detail on the game, maybe this Demon Souls is for you, but not for me.

And those games never got reputation of being a graphic powerhouse to begin with. Bloodborne have a tons of art direction, so the game don't need a remake, just a remaster like Dark Souls Remaster got via From Software.

Last edited:

Fess

Besides DS2 and GTA6 I genuinely wouldn't be interested in it if I just wanted one for PS exclusives. Fortunately, I'm in need of a new 4K Blu-ray player as well.
Hmm. I use my PS5 for bluray movies, the weird fan/coil noise is driving me crazy. If they show some cool games taking full advantage of the pro hardware and if Astro Bot is truly not coming to PC and if there is no annoying fan noise and if bluray playback functionality is better - then I’ll jump in.

Topher

Gold Member
As several have said it was a totally open secret at Gamescom plus like Topher Topher said we literally know everything about it specs wise so I agree we don't need a Showcase on it

Blog post, show off DS2 running on it then have them running several games at TGS

I seriously don't think they have enough to show right now to even warrant a full blown showcase

If they can do some solid reveals from first party in a state of play then I'm fine with that at this point.

Why? SM2 was great

Had a decent campaign, but the side content was dripping with woke bullshit.

nial

LMAO at the super doom comments.

"WTF IS SONY DOING?"

Making more money than they ever have.
I'm honestly more wondering about the constant ask for big blockbusters, weren't they ruining PlayStation or some shit like that?
Or what about the Japan Studio games that we would NEVER EVER see again?
I mean...
V2503Ku.jpeg
dHdKQ8B.jpeg

Please PlayStation, continue doing no showcases just so I could watch these so called “fans” suffer. If you honestly think this is bad, you weren’t there during the PS3 gen.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
If they can do some solid reveals from first party in a state of play then I'm fine with that at this point.

Had a decent campaign, but the side content was dripping with woke bullshit.
DS2 is a given and I am sure Ghost of Tsushima 2 gets announced and revealed very soon

Wolverine footage maybe?

Surprise game that is coming next year as well could be there

Really want to see Call of Duty BO6 running in PSSR near 4k at 120fps but doubt that makes this kind of show :)

Topher

Gold Member
Had a gay and a mute side mission lol

I recall more than that, but I'm not going to get into it.

DS2 is a given and I am sure Ghost of Tsushima 2 gets announced and revealed very soon

Wolverine footage maybe?

Surprise game that is coming next year as well could be there

Really want to see Call of Duty BO6 running in PSSR near 4k at 120fps but doubt that makes this kind of show :)

GOT 2 would be a godsend reveal. Definitely down for that.

More than likely it’s actually a PlayStation Meeting. Which are in-person press conferences. That’s how PS4 Pro was introduced in September 2016. State of Plays are like Directs, they’re software-focused shows.

Last edited:

zapper

It's sad if they show up with yet another sop and not a showcase where they show the various internal titles in development. It's also the 30th anniversary of PlayStation, they can't be this bad

Isa

Gold Member
lol....my god that is horrid. I've pretty much written off anything made by Insomniac going forward. Just a front for SBI at this point.
Sadly myself as well, and I used to be a yuuuuge Insomniac fan, had every release, all the Clanks that Ratchet, their EA title that was a dud. But I kind of feel that way about all first party stuff even Sony's competitors. Ninty stuff is fine, but its Treehouse that I have an issue with. Its why I didn't buy Thousand Year Door.

I think a State of Play is kind of obvious though just because September is Tokyo Game Show month, among my most hyped shows of the year. If they show the Pro I'd be happy as I want to get one. If it can give me a bit of a boost across the board performance wise and/or effects(across older games too) then I'll be a happy camper. Plus an additional UHD player is nice to have for my girl and I.

Had a gay and a mute side mission lol

I don’t care as long as the campaign and most side missions aren’t impacted
The campaign was impacted.
You fight with MJ and she basically use the full fight to complain about Peter Parker. I never got mentally out from a character that much in a game in years. How are writers able to fuck up to the point of making me listen to a litany of common women lamentations while I am punching my girlfriend ? How can you make it have some sense? I spent my first try looking at ways to not hurt her then when I understood that yes, they wanted me to kick her ass I just used all my combos to finish her as fast as possible. And having Peter Parker stop being Spiderman is sad even if probably not 100% their fault.

Sanepar

Like I said they don't have enough studios to make showcases anymore. It will be one more crap sop with 1 or 2 games. Sony need to change that.

You fight with MJ and she basically use the full fight to complain about Peter Parker. I never got mentally out from a character that much in a game in years. How are writers able to fuck up to the point of making me listen to a litany of common women lamentations while I am punching my girlfriend ? How can you make it have some sense? I spent my first try looking at ways to not hurt her then when I understood that yes, they wanted me to kick her ass I just used all my combos to finish her as fast as possible. And having Peter Parker stop being Spiderman is sad even if probably not 100% their fault.

Happy Hour Drinking GIF

Sanepar

If they can't put a decent Showcase on especially with new hardware as well then the first party problems go a lot deeper than anyone could imagine.
They have 10 studios who make AAA games, SP AAA take 6 years now. They need to double studios to compete and focus only on SP games.

Topher

Gold Member

I think I erased that shit from my brain. Was so bad.

Now you've forced me to remember and I hate you for it.

I'm kidding.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
If they can't put a decent Showcase on especially with new hardware as well then the first party problems go a lot deeper than anyone could imagine.
A lot of us "imagined" it a long time ago. They literally changed CEOs, and fired Connie Booth. But anyway, it's tiresome waiting years for people to catch up just to say I told you so when all you get is just more shit for it lol. If people want to literally type up all their studios you can pretty logically predict most of what's coming and when.

Like I said they don't have enough studios to make showcases anymore. It will be one more crap sop with 1 or 2 games. Sony need to change that.
Exactly. Jaffe said this as well, and was right on that too when everyone here shit on him.

Isa

Gold Member
I couldn't complete Spidey 2 and trust me I tried.
True story a bunch of coworkers were hyping the hell out of it trying to get people excited for it, seeing if people were going to buy it. I was the only one who was aware of its ... faults and was like nah I'll pass. They couldn't get it. I didn't try to burst their bubble though, and lo and behold they played it and got real quiet never talking about it again. I asked about it a few months back and most had either traded it in or dropped it.
I bought it and never opened it (yeah games I will beat and never play again I buy physical so I can rid myself of them and get $5.00 in return) and returned it
Such a great idea. I've gone back to getting almost all of my media physical, such a better investment. Plus with such a low quantity being manufactured it make prices skyrocket. I mainly buy books, films, anime and shows now and the prices are almost always 4x what I paid at launch day. Some going even higher its mind boggling. Even my gf supports my "investments" since its such a ROI even if I decide to resell a movie we didn't like, which has been very rare. Plus building a cool library is neat to see and have.

Msamy

No showcase this year, then?
They have ps5 pro but no ready to show new game from their big studios
1- Naughty dog 4 years since their last big game aside from useless remake and they didn't have even 1,30 min trailer to show (wasted many years and resources in developing useless gass game due to sony pressure)
2- sucker punch 4 year's since their last game and they don't even have some useles remakes in theis period ( 90% chance that present sony forced them to do some gass like other studios but ends useless)
3- sony bend studio 5 or more years since days gone and they don't have anything to show now due to sons miss with the studio transfer many of their people's to other studios in lot of cancelled projects.
4- sony santa monica have two teams
Included cory teams which developed new game since 2018 but they have nothing ready to show due shift many of cory team to god of war ragnarok which is cross gen title as f.
5-bluepoint studio 4 years since their last big game , and they have good track record in release games every 2 years but i didn't know what sony forced them to do.
6- housemarke 3,5 year's from their last game but they probably far from have something that ready to be shown.
7- insomniac games have 2 different teams or more in different locations , the team behind rift apart are about 3.5 or more years now since it's realase and considering wolverine late 2023 leaked build state it won't be ready to shown before 2025 , also sony forced them to do useless spiderman gass game ( cancelled and some leaked video's appears online)
8- sony studios by far are my favourite studio's alongside rockstar , but sony management this gen missed most of them one of the worset mangament in ps history at least for hardcore gamers
9- sony theis year doesn’t have anything ready to show other than death stranding 2 ,lego horizon and some third party games.
(Also death stranding 2 developed at this state because of kojima and even it starts developed after 1-2 years from first one)
10- some sony dogs are goona defend this (cross gen and gass )management due ps5 profits but what make this happen is the big success of ps4 and first party studios which soldfied playstation as a brand.

Last edited:
Playstation is really hiding their games until release. At least 1 big showcase to show us what is in store for us and then go silent until release.

Sethbacca

She had been taken over by a symbiote and it was amplifying her emotions as symbiotes have done for the last 40 ish years of Marvel history. She was resenting him for asking her to give up her life and career to do what he wanted to do and the symbiote amplified that.

I mean, there are a lot of valid criticisms to this game, but this doesn't really feel like one of them to me if you were paying any attention to the storyline.

Top Bottom