• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jez Corden suggests final Fantasy 7 Remake and Final Fantasy 16 might be coming to Xbox afterall

Draugoth

Gold Member
Final-Fantasy-VII-Remake.jpg

Jez Corden: "I've heard the whole Final Fantasy slate is on the docket for Xbox"
During the latest Xbox Two podcast episode (timestamp 1:09:01), Jez Corden says, "I do think we are going to get something Final Fantasy-related [at Xbox's Tokyo Game Show event]. I've heard that the whole slate's on the docket, including Final Fantasy 7, and 16, the FF Pixel Remasters.

A lot of people were wondering, like, has Sony locked down Final Fantasy 7 Remake forever? I've heard that is not the case and that FF7 will eventually come to Xbox. I don't know when it will and I don't know if it will be in the first wave."

It's also important to note that Jez has also said in a previous Xbox Two episode (timestamp 1:06:50) that he doesn't think Sony has locked down the entire FF7 Remake trilogy and that FF7 Remake will come to Xbox before the trilogy is complete, which lines up with what he's just said.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
More interested to see if the pixel remasters are announced for xbox at this point. The vii and xvi rumors have been on-going for a while.

Hookshot

Gold Member
Were sales that bad? Do Square need to open up a new market to sell the 3rd game to? Will they also down port them to Switch 2 in a couple of years to bank on the part of the Smash fanbase that are solely Nintendo owners?

DJ12

Totally worth an extra 50k copies it would generate.
MS will probably give them more money than the total PlayStation and PC sales to get it on game pass.

Lord knows he's got no business sense.

He'll call it his career moment now theres not a cat in hells chance their buying Nintendo.

Last edited:
This dude really can't keep Final Fantasy's dick out of his mouth, can he?

Endlessly obsessed, yet doesn't even play the games 🤔. He's gonna keep saying this until sometime at last, it becomes true, just in time to tell his grandchildren.

robin-williams.gif

They've recycled this rumour 3 times now just to keep it in the limelight when there is no xbox news.

Bingo. It finally hit me earlier this year when Phil Spencer was crying about Helldivers 2, and I just thought "Why do we spend so much time talking about Xbox? Is it natural or by design?"

Turns out it's by design; MS and shills/influencers in the media keep revolving gaming topics around Xbox, even when Xbox has nothing to do with the topic at hand...unless it's a failure for one of the other brands (mainly PlayStation) in which case they're fine with just focusing on that platform (like we just saw with Concord).

But particularly any time it looks like there are big new exclusive releases and incoming actual news for PlayStation coming around, suddenly we start hearing about these Xbox "rumors" that 80% of the time never manifest into anything substantial. It's not about if they become true; it's simply about keeping Xbox in the conversation.

There's a reason I've been intently not talking about Xbox that much since earlier this year; I didn't want to be part of the problem.

Last edited:

Jaybe

I’m pretty sure an actual insider reported previously that the FF7 Remakes were contractually exclusive to PlayStation consoles but that everything else including FF16 was open to be ported after an exclusivity window if Square deemed it worthwhile

Jesb

Put them on GFN and I’ll get them. Would rather this than FF16 but that’s coming so maybe these will eventually.

Highly doubt it. Wouldn't move many copies if at all due to most Xbox gamers wanting to rent their games on gamepass. But anything is possible I guess.

cireza

Gold Member
More interested to see if the pixel remasters are announced for xbox at this point.
These games have a ton of shimmering when scrolling, for information. They better fix this shit, but I kind of doubt they will.

Be it FF XVI, FF VII or the Pixel Remasters, I have zero interest in these. Make better games Square-Enix.

Last edited:
Highly doubt it. Wouldn't move many copies if at all due to most Xbox gamers wanting to rent their games on gamepass. But anything is possible I guess.

I think it happens because the new CEO wants it. Whether it will pay off or not who knows but imo nothing satisfies square so I doubt the sales on Xbox will.

akira__

He has been suggesting that since ff7 remake was announced, and has since been disappointed each time Square Enix has had any show.

What would be the point of bringing games to platform the platform holder has moved away from?

After the wukong incident he is quickly looking for another L to collect.

Last edited:

Det

Neo Member
This dude really can't keep Final Fantasy's dick out of his mouth, can he?

Endlessly obsessed, yet doesn't even play the games 🤔. He's gonna keep saying this until sometime at last, it becomes true, just in time to tell his grandchildren.

Bingo. It finally hit me earlier this year when Phil Spencer was crying about Helldivers 2, and I just thought "Why do we spend so much time talking about Xbox? Is it natural or by design?"

Turns out it's by design; MS and shills/influencers in the media keep revolving gaming topics around Xbox, even when Xbox has nothing to do with the topic at hand...unless it's a failure for one of the other brands (mainly PlayStation) in which case they're fine with just focusing on that platform (like we just saw with Concord).

But particularly any time it looks like there are big new exclusive releases and incoming actual news for PlayStation coming around, suddenly we start hearing about these Xbox "rumors" that 80% of the time never manifest into anything substantial. It's not about if they become true; it's simply about keeping Xbox in the conversation.

There's a reason I've been intently not talking about Xbox that much since earlier this year; I didn't want to be part of the problem.
These fabricated rumors to "balance things out" in the long run only hurt the Xbox

Sooner or later everyone stops taking any positive rumor about the Xbox seriously and it becomes impossible to reverse it, this of course in the real world with the real consumer. The trained Xbox fanboys think these rumors are the best.

There is so much *noise in the Xbox communication medium that no one listens anymore.
* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Communication_noise

Xbox's tactic is to create noise in the media, since they have nothing to communicate, and to harm PlayStation's communication.

The "full rdna2" and "only we have sustainable performance" circus was an example of this tactic.

Sony did the right thing, ignored the MS circus and focused on games. They left the Xbox alone explaining the buzzwords of "power" and explaining themselves later when they lost in all the multiplatforms at the consoles' launch.

What I find most despicable about Xbox is this disgusting and desperate tactic of "please pay attention to me"

Last edited:

jm89

One of the editors at vg247 posted this on era regarding this.

I'll go ahead and just outright say that to my knowledge, there is presently no active development on an Xbox version of Remake or Rebirth. They will obviously eventually do it. But as far as being in active port development now, to my understanding, which I am quite confident in, they are not. People can believe that or not, obviously, but I'd argue I'm pretty trustworthy/on the money with SEJ stuff.

If I had to guess (and this part is speculation), they will likely focus on completing & shipping part 3 as a priority and then look at Xbox (and maybe Switch 2, who knows). What is true is that the SE attitude of judging exclusivity on a per-game basis (where PS/SW is the default and Xbox is an option) has softened and I'd expect most new stuff going forward to be on Xbox unless there's a good argument (or cash incentive) against it. But you build that into your development plan, whereas a late port of an existing game you need to find and allocate separate resources to do the legwork, which potentially takes away from other ongoing dev.

We also all need to understand that a policy shift like this takes time to trickle down -- IE there will be unannounced SE games that have been in development for ages that are on 'everything but Xbox' because their inception predates the new CEO and the strategic changes, and it doesn't necessarily make financial sense to pivot them late in the game. When these are announced it doesn't mean SE has abandoned its new Xbox parity thinking... though people inevitably will say it does. But the way we learn about things is not linear, ultimately -- so we learn about the strategy shift before we learn about some games that had their parameters set in the midst of the old strategy, etc.

This stuff obviously moves all the time, and things could've changed really recently and I could be wrong. Or Jez could be! But as it stands, I've heard absolutely zero about anyone on Xbox, anyway.

16 I think is more obvious and clear-cut... you only need to look at Yoshida's comments over the last six or so months. It's clear that will happen sooner rather than later.

Skifi28

It probably wouldn't sell well, but it's hard to imagine it wouldn't cover the cost of a port. Which makes one wonder, why are so many Japanese games not getting xbox ports or getting them much later? I think this is yet another issue Phil in his infinite wisdom has created for himself. In the past he's probably been a little too eager opening his wallet for gamepass deals in order to get games ported and it now feels like he's almost being "blackmailed" by the Japanese that unless he pays up he's not getting a port at all.

It's a little ironic how he's trained his fanbase "no gamepass no buy" and now has also trained publishers "no gamepass no port".

Last edited:

akira__

Wukong, now final fantasy. In just 2 weeks, he has been wrong so many times throughout his "journalism" career. That at this point its like the pachter effect were the inverse of any of their statements will be correct.

Top Bottom