• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable OT What a Beautiful Duwang

Madao

also, didn't they add a lot of extra scenes to the SDC anime? i recall people saying they expanded several fights with extra bits.

jgminto

They added very little to Sardust Crusaders, mostly just scenes to help with episode transitions when the chapter flow didn't fit well.
they added sometimes but not that much

like they added Joseph trying to explain how camels are to the sun ep
That scene was in the manga.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, there are plenty of added scenes and slight alterations made to the anime that are supposed to act as transitions and foreshadowing. You've got scenes showing off upcoming enemies, like how a generic bird sitting on Dio's shoulder is replaced by Pet Shop, a faint image of Za Warudo is shown floating besides Dio during an extension of one of his conversations with Enya, Wheel of Fortune's user is shown following the group, Geb decapitates a Speedwagon Foundation worker while he's spying on the Egyptian God Stand users, etc..

There are added scenes and alterations that exist to fill time and help with the franchise's continuity, too, like the scene in which Jotaro talks to Suzie Q. on the sub, the inclusion of the group photo, and the bit of dialogue where Joseph mentions Erina to Dio.

PK Gaming

CnaWdF_UkAAPSp1.jpg

Somewhat relevant to today's episode

(source)

Diamond is Unbreakable 16

I might say this is one of the weaker episodes/arcs but it does a good job showing the difference between the last protagonist and our current one.

Jotaro is calm, cool and collected and hardly anything phases him, not even having his hand melted. He seemed more bothered by Josuke wanting to pick up some chicks then his body turning into an Akira monster.

Josuke is far quicker to panic but may be even better then Jotaro at formulating a plan on the fly. His Stand also allows him more leeway for creativity.

It's also always fun to see how an animal with a Stand works, relying less on thinking or planning and more on its raw instinct.

Matsukaze

The censoring was as bad as expected. It was a bit funny that they blacked out Jotaro's injuries on the hill but then did away with the censoring when half his body turned to bubblegum. It didn't ruin the episode or anything, but when that fridge door opened, the impact just wasn't there.

Despite the numerous black blobs, I think the anime made this episode feel a little creepier than the manga did, thanks to its use of music to help establish the atmosphere. It helped create a better tone of tension.

Plus, JoJo bonding time is always great, so there's that.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
It's a shame that Jotaro never talked this much during SDC.

I'm disappointed that "A rat?! Like Mickey Mouse?!" was cut. Quality felt a bit off at times during this episode, too.

PK Gaming

"How could an arc about hunting rats be interesting?"

These were my initial thoughts when I first read the manga. But the tension, character development and general excitement made it one of my favorites. This episode was very important for Josuke since it further contrasted him from Jotaro, and highlighted a unique aspect of his character; he's a fighter, but he's also the medic. The people around him can get hurt, but Josuke can't afford to take lethal hits because he can't heal himself.

Jotaro too, is well used here. Part 4 job does a fantastic job of making use out of his abilities in a way where he doesn't overshadow Josuke, but he doesn't feel completely de-powered either.

My only complaint is that they cut out this incredible line:

971pkMY.png

lol

Guess Who

Banned
How many chapters was this episode in the manga? I've never read it, but I just got the feeling watching it that they probably condensed it a bit to get it to down to one episode.

I'm reminded of this...interesting interview whenever this arc comes up.

Kaneda: A while ago, there was a story called "Let's Go Hunting" and I really liked how Josuke and Jotaro teamed up. First you have Josuke who always feels like he's about to burst into a rage but he's always reliable when push comes to shove. Then there's Jotaro who can get really mad and he'll barely lose the cool expression on his face. I thought them working together went well, I love that story. It's to be expected seeing as he's a scientist, but I'm really enthralled with how Jotaro knows so much about wild animals (laugh).

Araki: Yeah, I like partnerships. When I see artists that have partnerships, I get all jealous. Though I guess there's sort of a partnership between a mangaka and an editor. I liked the partnership of Josuke and Jotaro, too. They both have a kind of "pursuer" feel to them, don't they?

Kaneda: It was so cool when Jotaro said "You've got to be the one to shoot." and then went off to let himself become a decoy.

Araki: They have a relationship where they sort of bring out each other's strengths.

Kaneda: I think that because Josuke respects Jotaro so much, he feels a lot of pride from just being with him. It's an exceedingly good relationship, even one that almost crosses a certain line (laugh).

Editor: Sounds like she's reading into it in a yaoi sort of way. I guess she's excited by that sort of thing.

Araki: Oh, I see (laugh). Maybe it's better that I didn't write that, then.

Kaneda: Yeah! If you'd written that openly, there'd be no room for imagination and that'd ruin all the fun. I don't think anything like that would happen for the whole hunting thing, but if it turned into something like "After the hunt is over, do you wanna go to a hotel?", I feel like that'd be really overdoing it! (Laugh) Also, if something like that were written in the story, there would be a lot of people that really like coupling and would say things like "the only one for Joutarou is Kakyoin!" So it would actually, it would actually narrow the scope of the story. So I really think that stopping just short of that is much better.

Araki: That kinda sounds like "Beverly Hills, 90210". This person and this person are connected, and this person is with so-and-so, that sorta thing.

Kaneda: It's good to draw all sorts of jumbled lines like that (laugh). That way it never goes to the point of actual acts, it's more desirable to be potential.

Araki: I see.

convo

I don't know why people are still upset that TV-aired episodes are censored. Unless they air on AT-X it will never not be censored on TV.It's always been that way, you guys just wait for the Blue-rays. We would have gotten more pink goo instead of black goo instead, wait until we don't see organs spilling out before we get really bitchy.

Astral

I'm reminded of this...interesting interview whenever this arc comes up.

Lmao this reminds me of the video of the crazy girl who got to meet Araki and even had him design a Stand for her or something. The one obsessed with Jotaro, so much so that she wished Jotaro was real and treated her like trash. Araki's reaction was the best. Can't find the video right now though and I'm not sure if it has spoilers or not.

Matsukaze

Lmao this reminds me of the video of the crazy girl who got to meet Araki and even had him design a Stand for her or something. The one obsessed with Jotaro, so much so that she wished Jotaro was real and treated her like trash. Araki's reaction was the best. Can't find the video right now though and I'm not sure if it has spoilers or not.
Is that the one where the girl dressed up as Jotaro and when she asked what Araki thought of her cosplay, he said it was a little embarrassing?

Squishy3

It's got spoilers in it. Also that's the person responsible for the vocals in the Gurren Lagann OPs. :p

Guess Who

Banned

That was Shoko Nakagawa, who anime fans may know for singing the Gurren Lagann OP and hosting Pokemon Sunday.

And yes, she was incredible thirsty for Jotaro.

cntr

Banned
yesss, another gureito episode

STAR PLATINUM,
ZA WARUDO

Going from people being turned into books to sniper duels with rats.

Betty

Banned
The ZA WARUDO's were pretty lacking though. Put your chest into it Jotaro. C'mon.

Still really cool to see.

Another really creepy episode, even with the censoring the gore was pretty shocking.

It's crazy to think as powerful as Jotaro is that this random rat could've killed him under the right circumstances.

Though I'd have thought with his time stop ability Jotaro could just shoot at the rat when things were frozen, surely he's trained himself to stop time for more than a couple of seconds by now?

Astral

Is that the one where the girl dressed up as Jotaro and when she asked what Araki thought of her cosplay, he said it was a little embarrassing?

Lol I forgot she dressed up as him. I don't blame her for being thirsty though. Jotaro is a hunk. If only he would lift again.

DIO's dead so he's been doing more important things like having fun with dolphins and reading about animal behavior.

Also it wasn't mentioned, but the rat's Stand is named Ratt, after the hair metal band.

Ratt 1 and 2 right?

Siegcram

Though I'd have thought with his time stop ability Jotaro could just shoot at the rat when things were frozen, surely he's trained himself to stop time for more than a couple of seconds by now?
It's actually insanely strenuous for normal humans to stop time. DIO as a vampire had a far easier time.

More than a second is pretty much impossible for Jotaro.

Lol I forgot she dressed up as him. I don't blame her for being thirsty though. Jotaro is a hunk. If only he would lift again.

Ratt 1 and 2 right?

Technically I think it's the first shared Stand, so both of them use Ratt. At least that's how the wiki has it.

so uh josuke fixed those meat cube farmers, right?

I think I looked away at the time he says it, but they did leave in Josuke's line about how he'll fix them up, right? Because you can assume he did.

Top Bottom