• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable OT What a Beautiful Duwang

Astral

Yes.

There are several reasons folks favor 4 over 3, including:
Because a lot of people prefer Part 4's pseudo-slice-of-life, Twin Peaks-in-modern Japan style to Part 3's Around Half the World in 50 Days style.
Because Morioh feels more alive as a setting than the entire list of countries visited by Jotaro's team in Part 3.
Because Josuke is a more interesting and dynamic protagonist than Jotaro.
Because to many fans, Kira's brand of evil is more sinister and disturbing than Dio's kind of evil.

And last but not least - because those people have the benefit of knowing how the rest of Part 4 plays out, so they can make a more informed judgment.

And I'm not sure how Part 4 is any more "shit-throwing" than Part 3 when we're talking about Stands, an inherently limitless and bonkers element that is central to JoJo 3+.

I'll add to this list by saying that I love how much more of a presence Kira has than Dio. He's had two entire episodes dedicated to him just living his life. DIO was just never around and was therefore less threatening and less likeable imo. And I love DIO.

KarmaCow

Not sure what you mean by this.

It went from chasing the guy who is creating stands, to chasing the super powerful stand who stole the bow and arrow to now chasing a serial killer with no ties to what happened before. I like some individual moments but I would have preferred if it was just collection of vignettes in Morioh instead of this attempt to have a unifying goal that changes every few episodes or so.

It's also kinda strange how quickly characters like Rohan are just part of the crew now considering the heinous shit they did. Shigechi was created to give some personal stakes to the whole Kira thing but at least his stand was cool.

Yes.

There are several reasons folks favor 4 over 3, including:
Because a lot of people prefer Part 4's pseudo-slice-of-life, Twin Peaks-in-modern Japan style to Part 3's Around Half the World in 50 Days style.
Because Morioh feels more alive as a setting than the entire list of countries visited by Jotaro's team in Part 3.
Because Josuke is a more interesting and dynamic protagonist than Jotaro.
Because to many fans, Kira's brand of evil is more sinister and disturbing than Dio's kind of evil.

And last but not least - because those people have the benefit of knowing how the rest of Part 4 plays out, so they can make a more informed judgment.

And I'm not sure how Part 4 is any more "shit-throwing" than Part 3 when we're talking about Stands, an inherently limitless and bonkers element that is central to JoJo 3+.

Like I said, Part 3 was Araki just trying out stuff which is clear how it from the tarot cards to Egyptian gods after he ran out or Avdol coming back from being clearly killed but there was a reason for the journey and why they kept running into enemy stand users. Part 4 wants to have both just trying out stuff like Antonio while also having a looming threat that needs to addressed, but not really.

Ridley327

This potaro art makes me want more marine biologist jotaro.

A jotaro and josuke team up would be great. Dont know how useful everyone else would be.

I feel like there would need to be at least another person with those two to get anything done. Kira seems like the type to immediately notice Josuke hanging back, so having just one other person with him becomes a major liability with how quickly Kira will figure out that racket.

I always feel like the Stands with the simplest powers are the hardest to counter effectively. The only reason Pet Shop lost against Iggy was because he wasn't expecting him to effectively suicide rush him. Otherwise, had it played out as expected, I don't know how the hell that the rest of the gang would have been able to stop him without extreme coordination of their abilities.

Astral

It went from chasing the guy who is creating stands, to chasing the super powerful stand who stole the bow and arrow to now chasing a serial killer with no ties to what happened before. I like some individual moments but I would have preferred if it was just collection of vignettes in Morioh instead of this attempt to have a unifying goal that changes every few episodes or so.

It's also kinda strange how quickly characters like Rohan are just part of the crew now considering the heinous shit they did. Shigechi was created to give some personal stakes to the whole Kira thing but at least his stand was cool.

I'm not gonna comment on the arrow thing but I don't see how the story being broken into separate arcs is a bad thing. It's super common too. The anime even has stuff the manga didn't have like teasing Kira throughout the preceding arcs.

Just look at it like different arcs.Everything matters by the end anyway.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member

If you really want to get into it, the overarching plot thread isn't just about recovering the Arrow from someone. It's more about finding out why people are mysteriously disappearing in Morioh. Like back in the first Nijimura brothers episode, Koichi is in the school's library and discovers how the number of people who have disappeared in Morioh is 7 to 8 times the average for Japan. That sets in motion the rest of the plot from that point on. Some of those disappearances probably stem from Keicho testing out the Arrow, and some of them come from Kira randomly murdering people for their hands. It's more subtle than the journey to Dio, but it's still there.

PK Gaming

Killer Queen can turn things into bombs, which create explosions without destroying themselves. Shigechi disintegrates because he touches the handle directly, and Killer Queen creates an explosion inside his body. The coin explosion outside his body, so it behaved like a normal explosion.

Crazy Diamond and Killer Queen are actually perfect counters to each other -- Crazy Diamond can repair Killer Queen's damage, but Crazy Diamond can't fix things Killer Queen disintegrated.

It goes even deeper than that. Their stands represent their psyche & desires—a kind, selfless person vs a selfish person who wants to continue killing in secret. Crazy Diamond lets Josuke heal people who are injured and Killer Queen let's him completely kill a person in secret.

The duality is pretty fantastic.

KarasuEXE

These are my favorite author notes, and I think it's really perfect in the context of Part 4:

HR2pKVC.png

In my opinion, it adresses Kira's status as the main antagonist perfectly too.

Kurtofan

So wait, this is the main antagonist of part 4? It could dramatically improve but I don't understand why people say part 4 is the best when it seems like a Araki throwing shit at a wall to see what sticks. Part 3 was the same but there was at least the strong under current of getting to Dio to tie it all the experiments together.

There's half of Part 4 remaining... and yes the character that's getting four episodes in a row is the main villain.

Dio never had this kind of coverage in part 3, he appeared in a few scenes, like cameos until his three parter at the end.

Philippo

Whoa the first part of the episode was really dark, i knew what was coming but had no idea it'd play so dramatically.
Poor Shigechi, i can only imagine what it feels to Josuke knowing what happened to him but not being able to tell the parents
:(

The latter part was HYPE tho, plot engines finally moving at full speed now.

Is the series going back to monster-of-the-week format now? Or is it going to be fully Kira focused?

These are my favorite author notes, and I think it's really perfect in the context of Part 4:

In my opinion, it adresses Kira's status as the main antagonist perfectly too.

And this is why Diamond is Unbreakable is so great. People who want it to be exactly like every other battle shounen can go watch/read those.

Astral

Whoa the first part of the episode was really dark, i knew what was coming but had no idea it'd play so dramatically.
Poor Shigechi, i can only imagine what it feels to Josuke knowing what happened to him but not being able to tell the parents

Is the series going back to monster-of-the-week format now? Or is it going to be fully Kira focused?

Two or three more Kira episodes and then back to Monster of the Week with some Kira here and there until the final battle.

KarmaCow

If you really want to get into it, the overarching plot thread isn't just about recovering the Arrow from someone. It's more about finding out why people are mysteriously disappearing in Morioh. Like back in the first Nijimura brothers episode, Koichi is in the school's library and discovers how the number of people who have disappeared in Morioh is 7 to 8 times the average for Japan. That sets in motion the rest of the plot from that point on. Some of those disappearances probably stem from Keicho testing out the Arrow, and some of them come from Kira randomly murdering people for their hands. It's more subtle than the journey to Dio, but it's still there.

I guess I just don't buy that was intended from the get go and even then it doesn't factor that much in the overall story for the characters up till now.

But I've already typed up way too much about JoJo's overall story arcs compared to how much I really care about it. I was just expecting more from the season after hearing about it.

split focused

Kurtofan

Two or three more Kira episodes and then back to Monster of the Week with some Kira here and there until the final battle.

The monster of the week is kind of Kira linked though, so it's not as random as jotaro and josuke hunting rats.

I guess I just don't buy that was intended from the get go and even then it doesn't factor that much in the overall story for the characters up till now.

But I've already typed up way too much about JoJo's overall story arcs compared to how much I really care about it. I was just expecting more from the season after hearing about it.

I can assure you that it was not intended from the get-go. Jojo is written on a week by week basis fueled by an overall theme. Part 4 just does a real good job of welding it all together.

Betty

Banned

I mean it's not like it's finished, your opinion could change depending on future developments.

KarmaCow

I mean it's not like it's finished, your opinion could change depending on future developments.

Sure it could but it's not like the previous episodes will be erased either.

Later part spoilers?
Unless that happen, I've kinda spoiled myself into the fact that the series hard reboots after Part 6

Guess Who

Banned
I try to put myself in other people's shoes and understand differing opinions but I really can't think of anything Stardust Crusaders does better than Diamond is Unbreakable.

I try to put myself in other people's shoes and understand differing opinions but I really can't think of anything Stardust Crusaders does better than Diamond is Unbreakable.

If I could say anything Stardust Crusaders has over it is a really strong iconic moment in its fights. I think every fight has something about it I vividly remember either due to its iconography or just general silliness.

Sure its shallow, but I still have alot of fun with it.

Soriku

I think I prefer Stardust's monster of the week enemies more; the battles felt like they had more variety. The globetrotting was also cool and there was more camaraderie among the characters.

JayEH

So wait, this is the main antagonist of part 4? It could dramatically improve but I don't understand why people say part 4 is the best when it seems like a Araki throwing shit at a wall to see what sticks. Part 3 was the same but there was at least the strong under current of getting to Dio to tie it all the experiments together.

why don't you finish the part first before judging it.

Final battle in stardust is one of the greatest manga fights in history. Overall DiU is the better part IMO but I like stardust more.

Mista Koo

That was a fantastic episode and I have many things to comment on:
  • Kira mentioned that he did name his stand Killer Queen, I wonder if that means every stand user named their own stand? Perhaps everyone in Morioh named their stand based on their favorite song. Maybe Dio had fun coming up with themed names for the stands he created.
  • I love how Kira is clueless about stands and how they work, and how worried he is that people know about him. I was certain that he would have been involved with the bow, now I wonder when (if?) we'll see someone besides Keiicho and Akira using the bow in Morioh. Or if we'll even know who gave Kira his stand.
  • Glad that they revealed Killer Queen's power quickly because I accidentally knew about it months ago and I didn't want another Dio situation. Having said that, his power works weirdly like Echoes Act 2 since the object itself doesn't explode nor does the environment around it react to the explosion. Also shocked that the Shigechi's face in the manga is the same as in the anime, I assumed it would've been much more gruesome.
  • I was complaining about how I hated Jotaro's new costume only for him to get a new one minutes after, that was amazing. I just hated the sharp pin and how loosely drawn his costume was. Otherwise his part 4 look is better than part 3 to me.
  • Pleasantly surprised when they gathered every stand user around. Although why was Tamami missing?
  • I thought the button had blood on it, turns out it's just a hideous pattern. Dio is disappointed.
Remember, in the manga Cinderella was wedged between Shigechi's encounter and the bit at the end.
Yikes.

Part 3 was the same but there was at least the strong under current of getting to Dio to tie it all the experiments together.
Except in part 3 we got an inferior Dio who rerolled and went for a purely fabulousness/theatrics build.

cntr

Banned
I always thought it was interesting that Phantom Blood Dio wore normal clothes, but after Dio gets Jonathan's body, he starts wearing skimpy model clothing and posing all the time to himself.

Mista Koo

I always thought it was interesting that Phantom Blood Dio wore normal clothes, but after Dio gets Jonathan's body, he starts wearing skimpy model clothing and posing all the time to himself.
He wasn't comfortable in his skin before that Joestar bod.

Kira killed people back when Rohan was a kid, logic dictates that he's a person simply born with a stand.
Enya is old enough to have shot him.

cntr

Banned
Kira mentioned that he did name his stand Killer Queen, I wonder if that means every stand user named their own stand? Perhaps everyone in Morioh named their stand based on their favorite song. Maybe Dio had fun coming up with themed names for the stands he created.
Jotaro named Crazy Diamond in the manga, actually. David Pro removed that to save time and because it doesn't really make sense

Glad that they revealed Killer Queen's power quickly because I accidentally knew about it months ago and I didn't want another Dio situation. Having said that, his power works weirdly like Echoes Act 2 since the object itself doesn't explode nor does the environment around it react to the explosion.
I think of it like this: Killer Queen's bombs don't explode in the traditional sense, they spawn explosions into the objects around them. Hence why Shigechi only exploded when he was directly touching the bomb.

Pleasantly surprised when they gathered every stand user around. Although why was Tamami missing?
Tamami was missing in the manga too, for some reason. They added Aya due to the arc swap, but that's it.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
I think I prefer Stardust's monster of the week enemies more; the battles felt like they had more variety. The globetrotting was also cool and there was more camaraderie among the characters.

Part 4 Stands end up feeling more creative than part 3's to me, in part due to how a lot of early part 3's Stands are based on horror homages. It's okay every once in a while, but part 3 has homages to:

Child's Play/Chucky (Ebony Devil)
A Nightmare on Elm's Street (Death 13)
Duel/Christine (Wheel of Fortune)
The Blob (Yellow Temperance)
Mary Celeste urban legends (Strength)
Jaws (Dark Blue Moon)
Various zombie movies (Justice)
The monkey's paw (Judgement)
The Shining/"Here's Johnny"

There are still horror homages in part 4, like how Reimi's murder references an urban legend, but Araki doesn't rely on them as often when it comes to Stand abilities and fights. He relies more on musical references instead (like how Bad Company is a group of soldiers, or how Ratt is controlled by two rats), which adds more variety and a unique touch to the fights.

TWILT

Banned
Fantastic episode this week. Kira was by far my most favorite JoJo villain and he certainly lives up to it in this adaption.

SoulUnison

Banned
Oh man, I felt so guilty for laughing, but the scene where Reimi looks up and sees Ghost Shigeki screaming and exploding for way longer than necessary was absolutely hilarious.

Thud

Every part delivers a different experience and different people like different things. It's not that hard.

There's no consensus on what the best part, although most would agree that Phantom Blood is kinda weak (in hindsight).The comparison to zelda games isn't that strange. Or Persona for that matter (P3 vs P4).

Anyway embrace the Killer Queen (not the poster) and enjoy the next few episodes. :)

Style

Banned
The song that plays when the cup gets shot is amazing. Yugo Kanno is a brilliant composer. Can't wait to the next OST volume. v_v

Ridley327

Yeah, he explicitly killed with a knife back then, didn't he?

Yeah, he stabbed her in the back after he did away with her parents and Arnold, which she showed to Koichi and Rohan. There's also the matter of the bodies being left behind, seeing as Rohan visited their memorial. Considering his comments about not leaving any evidence in 15 years, I would assume he got Killer Queen shortly thereafter. How is an awfully good question, but I'm sure that's coming sooner or later.

Top Bottom