• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable OT What a Beautiful Duwang

Matsukaze

yo why did kira sneak around like an idiot in a bad comedy to get the hand when he has the handy ability to remotely detonate and explode things???
Because Kira is so obsessive that he doesn't part with his "girlfriends" until a new one comes along. He would much rather kill someone like Shigechi than prematurely part with the hand.

That's...convenient.

What about Shigechi himself?
Would a non-Stand user see him twisting and disintegrating into nothing? Does he become "invisible" the second KQ begins to "detonate?"

"Handwaves? In JoJo? Oh. My. God!"

How did Josuke and Okayasu not hear it then? They only heard shigechi scream josukes name

It's more like an implosion. Others could see him disintegrate but no one was looking at Shigechi, since it doesn't really make a loud noise.

Betty

Banned
How did Josuke and Okayasu not hear it then? They only heard shigechi scream josukes name

I don't know, I just read that little detail about who can and can't see or hear KQ's explosions.

I guess maybe the anime add's the sound effect for the audience but the actual explosion isn't loud.

Piers

Kira > Dio

I'm not really feeling it so far. The stakes don't feel anywhere near as high or personal as Dio was. If left alone, Dio could have potentially stopped time for longer and longer, and amassed a very dangerous army. And next to that, there was a time limit for saving Jotaro's mom.

Kira has just sort of been sitting under everyone's noses and killing a specific gender + age group, confined to a town. And he makes it clear that he doesn't want to be disturbed, so he isn't actively finding people to kill for the sake of it.

I do get that this part is suppose to be going for a slice-of-life and murder mystery vibe, it just feels weird adjusting to that.

It's more like an implosion. Others could see him disintegrate but no one was looking at Shigechi, since it doesn't really make a loud noise.

This and Kira rubbing a corpse hand on a sandwich in open public, along with a fat child gliding up the sidewalk, gives the impression that people in Moriah are fairly jaded over strange and suspicious events. Keeping a manga going each week, though, would mean he couldn't sweat the small details so much -- at least not in all areas.

I'm not really feeling it so far. The stakes don't feel anywhere near as high or personal as Dio was. If left alone, Dio could have potentially stopped time for longer and longer, and amassed a very dangerous army. And next to that, there was a time limit for saving Jotaro's mom.

Kira has just sort of been sitting under everyone's noses and killing a specific gender + age group, confined to a town. And he makes it clear that he doesn't want to be disturbed, so he isn't actively finding people to kill for the sake of it.

I do get that this part is suppose to be going for a slice-of-life and murder mystery vibe, it just feels weird adjusting to that.

Well, uh, I mean Kira has killed Reimi and now Shigechi. I think it's pretty personal at this point.

Plus I'm sure that posters "Kira > Dio" is referring to them as characters. DIO is incredibly dangerous with time stop, but Kira is a more interesting and better written character.

Oberon

Banned
I love this episode.
couldn't Josuke use his stand to just restore the button back to the jacked, follow it and find Kira that way?

With a series with things like stands there gonna be always moments where people gonna ask "Why didnt he do this?".

For example why didnt
Jotaro stopped time, got behind Kira, tapped him on the shoulder and said "Got you David Bowie!"
at the end of the episode.

Dio.
Is.
Garbage.

He's like the worst villain in any kind of medium ever. Pure garbage written by a 12 years old.
I can't stand him, he does nothing for the entire third season and when he finally show up he keeps on doing nothing. But everybody loves him just because he has a big dick apparently.
Thanks god Araki learned how to write after treinwreck crusaders.
Finally I said it. I feel much better now.

Well, uh, I mean Kira has killed Reimi and now Shigechi. I think it's pretty personal at this point.

Plus I'm sure that posters "Kira > Dio" is referring to them as characters. DIO is incredibly dangerous with time stop, but Kira is a more interesting and better written character.
Basically.
I would classify Dio as a "fun" villain but Kira is a much more interesting threat.

Playsage

I love this episode.
couldn't Josuke use his stand to just restore the button back to the jacked, follow it and find Kira that way?
I thought that was how it went down, but I misremembered...
I guess Jotaro would have insisted to investigate anyway for caution instead of fighting head on an uknown stand user.

Betty

Banned
With a series with things like stands there gonna be always moments where people gonna ask "Why didnt he do this?".

For example why didnt
Jotaro stopped time, got behind Kira, tapped him on the shoulder and said "Got you David Bowie!"

He had no idea what Kira's ability was, and if he gambled with stopped time only to discover Kira can stop time he'd be screwed.

Plus he realized that Kira was trying to lead him and Koichi forward by pulling on the jacket.

Another possibility about the button is that maybe Josuke would've had to punch the jacket for the button to repair back on, since the button itself wasn't broken so maybe his stand couldn't repair it back to the jacket.

Basically.
I would classify Dio as "fun" villain but Kira is a much interesting threat.

Also we didnt see everything from Kira yet to fully compare him with Dio.

There is much more to him.

He had no idea what Kira's ability was, and if he gambled with stopped time only to discover Kira can stop time he'd be screwed.

Plus he realized that Kira was trying to lead him and Koichi forward by pulling on the jacket.

Another possibility about the button is that maybe Josuke would've had to punch the jacket for the button to repair back on, since the button itself wasn't broken so maybe his stand couldn't repair it back to the jacket.

True. I guess he only makes shiity mistakes against rats. He wouldnt underestimate dolphins tho.

Raxus

Plus everyone in Morioh seems to know Jotaro's time stop powers and have some sort of strategy in place to fight it (if possible).

Playsage

Well... Let's say that All-Star Battle confirms that he Can do that

Neoxon

For example why didnt
If I recall, Jotaro's time-stopping abilities is a huge strain on his heart (DIO gets around this thanks to him being an immortal vampire).

Also, Kira revealed (to the viewers, at least) that he has more than one ability (similar to Kakyoin having possession and Emerald Splash), with the turning things into a bomb, and the tank, which he referred to as Killer Queen's "second bomb".

Even with Time Stop Jotaro is at a major disadvantage, due to not knowing Kira's ruthless personality nor his Stand's capabilities. Remember, SP:TW wasn't a perfect defense againt Ratt.

Holy hell.

Brilliant. Those girls were terrible though, ignoring Shigechi because he looked weird. I mean, just get a teacher. He was bleeding!

Piers

Reimi has effectively zero affiliation with the main cast, aside from a reference to how she was a neighbour to Rohan. Shigechi, while friends to Jotaro and Okuyasu, didn't really develop beyond a goofball that they manipulate here and there.

If Reimi was a 'lost sister' to one of the main characters like Josuke, that could have perhaps had more impact given Kira's bombs are supposedly capable of imploding characters without a trace. (And I haven't read the manga, so Kira might kill certain characters that do end up making the stakes higher and higher)

But I do agree with you in that Kira's written in far more of a creative way than Dio.

The thing with Kira as a villain is that he and Josuke both want the same thing. They are both living their version of a happy and contented life in the town that he loves, until the Shigechi incident clues them both in that the other directly threatens their peace. While they both exist, they both feel trapped and unsafe in their own town. Whoever wins gets to live their quiet life.

That's what the theme song is about. The lyrics apply to both of their perspectives of the other.

My most precious things seem about to be stolen,
By a demon that's burrowed into my everyday life;
My peaceful moments have already collapsed
Being unconcerned, so nonchalant,
Before I even noticed, it'd been torn away...
If I'm gonna get it back, I have to act right away !
With the sharpness of a piercing arrow,
These colliding hearts are a thing of beauty !
I'll chase you anywhere
I'll chase you anytime
You know I'll chase you
There is no escape
Start running, chase you
Again tomorrow, chase you
Until I've kicked your god damn ass
Victory is decided by your tenacity
So I'll chase you

DIo is a fun villain to watch but there was never a sense of menace to him. Kira though is fucking menacing like his Stand is entirely lethal, hell his name is Kira for fuck's sake. Like remember in Stardust Crusaders when DIO landed on the roof and activated Hierophant Green's trap now imagine the trap was laid by Killer Queen instead, DIO would've been killed immediately. Kira is so fucking greito you guys.

Matsukaze

Reimi has effectively zero affiliation with the main cast, aside from a reference to how she was a neighbour to Rohan and Shigechi, while friends to Jotaro and Okuyasu, didn't really develop beyond a goofball that they manipulate here and there.

If Reimi was a 'lost sister' to one of the main characters like Josuke, that perhaps have had more impact given Kira's bombs are supposedly capable of imploding characters without a trace. (And I haven't read the manga, so Kira might kill certain characters that do end up making the stakes higher and higher)

But I do agree with you in that Kira's written in far more of a creative way than Dio.
Rohan and Koichi were both shaken up after learning about Reimi's death, and Josuke & Okuyasu were both visibly gutted by Shigechi's death. It's pretty obvious their friendship was a lot more than manipulation. Bonds between characters in JoJo tend to become very strong very quickly.

So yeah - it's personal.

I'll say it again, DIO from part 3 is a fun mustache twirler villain, but he literally does nothing for most of the story. Even his holier than thou character is a watered down version of the Phantom Blood's Dio.

Kira is far more laid back and "beatable", but I need to give a STRONG reminder to check the episode count and come to your own conclusions ;)

Reimi has effectively zero affiliation with the main cast, aside from a reference to how she was a neighbour to Rohan. Shigechi, while friends to Jotaro and Okuyasu, didn't really develop beyond a goofball that they manipulate here and there.

Well, Rohan did find out (because he was only 4ish years old and didn't remember) that the only reason he's alive is because Reimi saved him at the cost of her own life. That's pretty big. Rohan is kind of a dick but even he gets that.

Piers

The thing with Kira as a villain is that he and Josuke both want the same thing. They are both living their version of a happy and contented life in the town that he loves, until the Shigechi incident clues them both in that the other directly threatens their peace. While they both exist, they both feel trapped and unsafe in their own town. Whoever wins gets to live their quiet life.

That's what the theme song is about. The lyrics apply to both of their perspectives of the other.

That's a good point, and wonder if that's something the story intends to touch upon later or those're the stakes I've somehow been oblivious to.

Rohan and Koichi were both shaken up after learning about Reimi's death, and Josuke & Okuyasu were both visibly gutted by Shigechi's death. It's pretty obvious their friendship was a lot more than manipulation. Bonds between characters in JoJo tend to become very strong very quickly.

So yeah - it's personal.

That's the problem, though. Both of those deaths feel more like shallow reasoning to make things personal rather than being characters I'm suppose to give any shit about. If Koichi had died over Shigechi? I'd get that.
And to add, a lot of anime and manga have bonds between characters form very quickly. It's nothing particularly new or meaningful in this part for me.

Kira is a very different type of dangerous than DIO. Take it in real life, you never know if you walk by a person who commits horrific murders. Think of how those women felt when the found out they turned down a ride from Ted Bundy. DIO is a megalomaniac who has grand plans for himself, ruling the world, killing off those pesky Joestars, but the average person isn't on his radar.

Looking back at the manga it was really a wise choice to put Cinderella before the Kira encounter instead after it.

Its much better pacing and it also shows Aya when the entire gang is gathering. In the manga she wasnt introduced yet so she wasnt there.

Edit: Also about the girls and Shigechi thing. In the manga Shigechi goes fast past them so they see him only for a split second from the front.

Looking back at the manga it was really a wise choice to put Cinderella before the Kira encounter instead after it.

Its much better pacing and it also shows Aya when the entire gang is gathering. In the manga she wasnt introduced yet so she wasnt there.

I agree, with the small wrinkle that maybe introducing both Kira's bomb touch and bomb tank in the same episode was a little too fast now.

Matsukaze

That's the problem, though. Both of those deaths feel more like shallow reasoning to make things personal rather than being characters I'm suppose to give any shit about. If Koichi had died over Shigechi? I'd get that.
And to add, a lot of anime and manga have bonds between characters form very quickly. It's nothing particularly new or meaningful in this part for me.
It only seems shallow because you personally don't care for those characters, which is fine obviously but doesn't prevent it from being genuinely personal. Josuke and company do care, and fairly deeply at that. There's no illusions here; Araki isn't waiting to rip back the curtain and go 'Gotcha!". The idea that it had to be one of the main cast who ended up dead is silly.

Episode 22

RIP Fatty. I can't believe I teared up during his death in the anime. Though, considering I love villains, I was rooting for Kira the entire time. Go Bowie Go.

I kind of didn't like how they started covering Sheer Heart Attack in this episode. I wish they stretched out Quiet Life a bit more. People of Morioh (aka the crosswalk scene) felt like the perfect place to end the episode, so I wish the "To Be Continued" popped up there instead. It would have also split it so you would encounter one stand per episode. It kind of felt crowed, learning about Killer Queen's powers, then introducing SHA right after.

Otherwise, it was great seeing the art back to its usual high quality. Can't wait for the next one.

Jotaro doesn't even stop time for that long anyway

Can't exactly do much with 2~ seconds when you're fairly far away from the door

Yep. And since he doesn't have Dio's vampire abilities, he can't use it repeatedly since it'd put way too much strain on his body. Jotaro's time stop is actually pretty limited

Piers

It only seems shallow because you personally don't care for those characters, which is fine obviously but doesn't prevent it from being genuinely personal. Josuke and company do care, and fairly deeply at that. There's no illusions here; Araki isn't waiting to rip back the curtain and go 'Gotcha!". The idea that it had to be one of the main cast who ended up dead is silly.

You are right, but I think story writing still needs to keep the audience connected with events and emotions on hand to feel impact. There are posters here that really did feel for Shigechi, so it has merit to it.

All I see in Shigechi is some little turd that tried to make off with a winning ticket for himself and attempt mutilation on Jotaro/Okuyasu, and then be given one episode of friendship before he goes off to warn the heroes because he had the mishap of spotting the serial killer's corpse hand.

It doesn't do much so far on helping me connect to the story over how dangerous and damning Kira is thus far -- though I won't harp on and on any further as I do still enjoy the story as a whole and look forward to what Kira will do next.

Matsukaze

You are right, but I think story writing still needs to keep the audience connected with events and emotions on hand to feel impact. There are posters here that really did feel for Shigechi, so it has merit to it.

All I see in Shigechi is some little turd that tried to make off with a winning ticket for himself and attempt mutilation on Jotaro/Okuyasu, and then be given one episode of friendship before he goes off to warn the heroes because he had the mishap of spotting the serial killer's corpse hand.

It doesn't do much so far on helping me connect to the story over how dangerous and damning Kira is thus far -- though I won't harp on and on any further as I do still enjoy the story as a whole and look forward to what Kira will do next.
That's fair enough and I apologize if it sounded like I was trying to beat you over the head with my point. I will readily admit that Shigechi produces some very different responses from people, in life and in death.

Yo, man. Kira is amazing.
That 'no, no, no, no" line was so smoothly evil.
Dio has the charisma, but Kira has the deceiving suit-and-tie swag. Soooo good.

I was almost expecting Shigechi to make it, but....fuck. That was heavy. RIP middle school Dodoria. ;___;

I kinda want to call shenanigans on Kira hiding in the closet of the shoe store at the moment Jotaro and Koichi arrive, but I'll let that slide because....

9sEOCUP.png

latest
This tank reminds me of those creepy deformed toys from Toy Story for some reason. lol

jgminto

Yo, man. Kira is amazing.
That 'no, no, no, no" line was so smoothly evil.
Dio has the charisma, but Kira has the deceiving suit-and-tie swag. Soooo good.

I was almost expecting Shigechi to make it, but....fuck. That was heavy. RIP middle school Dodoria. ;___;

I kinda want to call shenanigans on Kira hiding in the closet of the shoe store at the moment Jotaro and Koichi arrive, but I'll let that slide because....

This tank reminds me of those creepy deformed toys from Toy Story for some reason. lol
The room Kira was in is the back entrance of the store.

Madao

also, Okuyasu's weak point is that his Stand is slow. RHCP was even bringing that up mid fight.

a slow stand is not gonna be able to keep up in an attack rush.

He was a kid and not actually evil. He didn't deserve to die.

Top Bottom