• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable OT What a Beautiful Duwang

Madao

Hmm shouldn't he have two sets of finger prints then?

Cinderella's effect might have changed his fingerprints later (or while the hand was flying. they never said if the effect only applied to one part of the affected person or their whole body even if it was in pieces)

I don't understand that situation at all.

Kira loses his hand. Josuke heals it.

"This man is dead, has both hands, and lacks a face or fingerprints!"

So where does Kira's new left hand come from? It's not like his old hand returned to him, did it? That'd defeat the purpose of new fingerprints. If it didn't go back to him, then it'd be pretty easy for the Duwang Gang to nail him down, despite his new appearance: tall, deep voice, missing a left hand, gigantic stick up his ass.

it's his original left hand. remember how it went flying around and guided everyone.

the fingerprint thing either gets explained or ends up being a plothole like Dio's coffin.

I hope Koichi's act 2 skills aren't just gonna be ignored from now on, they have so much gimmicky potential.

Here's more of an interview with Togashi and Kishimoto where JJBA and Araki is brought up a few times. It's cool

Kishi is totally marking out for Togashi here.
Certainly helps explain some of the parallels to HXH in his work.

Started watching this the other month so no spoilers if you quote this please. (I also probably will only read responses which quote as to avoid spoilers)

Just started the Egypt Arc of Stardust Crusaders, about 5 episodes in (Just defeated Anubis)

So here's my issues:

1. Iggy is literally the worst character I've ever encountered in media. What the fuck this shit is fucking awful. What the fuck is the point?

2. Jotaro is so goddamn PLAIN. This guy doesn't have a character!!! He has ZERO character. We're told he's a jerk with a heart of gold but the latter part never goddamn shows. He's just a stoic plank of wood I have no idea what is meant to be compelling about this character. Even his stand is lifeless and boring.

3. I was really excited about being done with the mooks from the journey to Egypt, but now that we're here they unveil 9 more mooks? The previous arcs had these big multi episode showdowns with the threat looming forever overhead and when they weren't fighting him they were training. This is just DBZ style "fight all the guys in order and then fight the main bad who will sit here doing nothing until you arrive" It feels like a poorly written JRPG.

But luckily that's about it. I'm a little annoyed that Ripple is being dropped in favour of Stands, I was kind of hoping there would be some combination of the two (and maybe in future arcs?) But it's not a deal breaker.

Battle Tendency was so good because the stakes were real and very present. The threat felt real and you could feel the tension from episode to episode. Phantom Blood was great too, although the pacing is slightly off due to the weird JoJo/Dio rivalry but it's setting a lot up and I actually like it as a change of pace compared to lots of other anime. The main events of Phantom Blood are spectacular and I think it has higher highs than either of the two arcs since.

Jonathan and Joseph are top tier characters and Joseph is single-handedly saving DiU. Well not single-handedly, Avdol and Kakyoin are badass and Polnareff, while an idiot, is at least full of charm. But really, wtf were they thinking with Jotaro? Please tell me that this is considered one of the worst arcs because even though it's still watchable, to have the most bland character, and worst character of all time in the same season is just not salvageable. I can see myself skipping this entire season on a rewatch.

So... Does the series improve? Are there any red flags to what I'm liking/disliking that may indicate that future parts aren't for me? Does Iggy become a main character forever because I don't know if I could take that. I don't care if it's a spoiler, someone please tell me that fucking dog dies.

Sou Da

Started watching this the other month so no spoilers if you quote this please. (I also probably will only read responses which quote as to avoid spoilers)

Just started the Egypt Arc of Diamond is Unbreakable, about 5 episodes in (Just defeated Anubis)

So here's my issues:

1. Iggy is literally the worst character I've ever encountered in media. What the fuck this shit is fucking awful. What the fuck is the point?

2. Jotaro is so goddamn PLAIN. This guy doesn't have a character!!! He has ZERO character. We're told he's a jerk with a heart of gold but the latter part never goddamn shows. He's just a stoic plank of wood I have no idea what is meant to be compelling about this character. Even his stand is lifeless and boring.

3. I was really excited about being done with the mooks from the journey to Egypt, but now that we're here they unveil 9 more mooks? The previous arcs had these big multi episode showdowns with the threat looming forever overhead and when they weren't fighting him they were training. This is just DBZ style "fight all the guys in order and then fight the main bad who will sit here doing nothing until you arrive" It feels like a poorly written JRPG.

But luckily that's about it. I'm a little annoyed that Ripple is being dropped in favour of Stands, I was kind of hoping there would be some combination of the two (and maybe in future arcs?) But it's not a deal breaker.

Battle Tendency was so good because the stakes were real and very present. The threat felt real and you could feel the tension from episode to episode. Phantom Blood was great too, although the pacing is slightly off due to the weird JoJo/Dio rivalry but it's setting a lot up and I actually like it as a change of pace compared to lots of other anime. The main events of Phantom Blood are spectacular and I think it has higher highs than either of the two arcs since.

Jonathan and Joseph are top tier characters and Joseph is single-handedly saving DiU. Well not single-handedly, Avdol and Kakyoin are badass and Polnareff, while an idiot, is at least full of charm. But really, wtf were they thinking with Jotaro? Please tell me that this is considered one of the worst arcs because even though it's still watchable, to have the most bland character, and worst character of all time in the same season is just not salvageable. I can see myself skipping this entire season on a rewatch.

So... Does the series improve? Are there any red flags to what I'm liking/disliking that may indicate that future parts aren't for me? Does Iggy become a main character forever because I don't know if I could take that. I don't care if it's a spoiler, someone please tell me that fucking dog dies.

You're on Stardust Crusaders not Diamond is Unbreakable.

Betty

Banned

You're meant to hate Iggy, for now.

I like Jotaro but I understand the plain complaints, I mostly like him because he doesn't take shit from anyone, he's the best dressed JoJo by a big margin and although subtle there's a few times he shows his personable side.

If you think Star Platinum is lifeless and boring I really don't know what to say, every Ora Ora moment was air punchingly awesome.

I've never understood the complaints about having constant battles in Stardust Crusaders, all the attackers are wildly different in ability and personality and they challenge the group in many different ways. They're just fun.

If you've made it this far just finish Stardust Crusaders, if you liked it enough by then go on to Diamond is Unbreakable. As someone who loved part 3 and is experiencing part 4 fresh I'd say DiU is even better than SDC.

Just started the Egypt Arc of Diamond is Unbreakable, about 5 episodes in (Just defeated Anubis)

So here's my issues:

Little extreme but I think he really hit home by the end. If you're at the Anubis fight I'm surprised you didn't find Iggy just a little bit funny during the Oingo Boingo episodes.

Well he's a classic example of the Japanese delinquent character. He's the stoic straight man but you see some of his 'heart of gold stuff' later.

Egypt is considered a step up fighting wise, so I would recommend continuing. The series stays with the multiple villain format from now on but different protags and settings mix it up.

You're on Stardust Crusaders not Diamond is Unbreakable.
Ahh. Yeah my mistake.

Edited to reflect.

And while im here, Opening song ranking:

1. Battle Tendency
2. Phantom Blood
3. Stardust Crusaders
4. Stardust Crusaders Egypt Arc

And also this magnetism double episode is terrible. This series is fast losing my interest.

Ahh. Yeah my mistake.

Edited to reflect.

And while im here, Opening song ranking:

1. Battle Tendency
2. Phantom Blood
3. Stardust Crusaders
4. Stardust Crusaders Egypt Arc

And also this magnetism double episode is terrible. This series is fast losing my interest.
Wait you don't find the Joseph and Avdol vs Mariah fight funny?

Wait you don't find the Joseph and Avdol vs Mariah fight funny?
Not even slightly.

The fight itself is poor. its not even a fight really. Its pretty much just a comedy of errors except they're all really easy target slapstick. Every joke you can see a mile a way and the physicality is either crude for its own sake or just... not funny to me at least.

Just started the Egypt Arc of Stardust Crusaders, about 5 episodes in (Just defeated Anubis)

So here's my issues:

Mook of the week is something that you'll probably dislike for upcoming parts, but all the parts do converge on a single focus for their later halfs. The SC cast is a little bland at first, even when compared to previous parts, but you'll get to see them actually contribute to fights unlike Mr. Split Legs and Jobber "Mentors", so I think it pays off. Everyone on SC grows on you, and Jotaro, while cardboard, will become a likeable cardboard in due time. You'll probably appreciate the darker shift in tone for the later third of the Egypt. I'm probably with you (in the minority, mind you), in that I really disliked how goofy Araki was trying to make the first 2/3 of the arc. If it weren't for the payoff, I'd probably have put behind the first half of SC.

Betty

Banned
Not even slightly.

The fight itself is poor. its not even a fight really. Its pretty much just a comedy of errors except they're all really easy target slapstick. Every joke you can see a mile a way and the physicality is either crude for its own sake or just... not funny to me at least.

Honestly I'm shocked you made it this far, if you're forcing yourself to go on I'd change my suggestion and just say quit and find something else.

zoukka

Started watching this today and the animation is pretty janky... the story teeters on the edge of being funny/cool and not making any sense. I guess a lot of the style and feel is lost between manga and anime.

cntr

Banned
Started watching this today and the animation is pretty janky... the story teeters on the edge of being funny/cool and not making any sense. I guess a lot of the style and feel is lost between manga and anime.
Did you start from the actual beginning of the series, at Part 1, or episode 1 of DiU, which is Part 4?

Part 1 has the least budget and style, so it's relatively janky.

Moaradin

The 2012 anime or this season? Because a lot improves during that time.

You on Part 1 or Part 4 cause yes, Part 1 and 2 are janky as fuck animation wise.

cntr

Banned
Part 2 was a lot better since David Pro focused its budget on it, and Battle Tendency has a lot more style than Phantom Blood.

That said yeah, I think David Pro did great.

Honestly I'm shocked you made it this far, if you're forcing yourself to go on I'd change my suggestion and just say quit and find something else.
Up until this point it was the fun kind of goofy. It didnt take itself seriously but it didnt treat itself like an absolute farce. Egypt Arc has been, simply put, immature. The show never 100% relied on sex, farts and poop jokes and the last few episodes have been nothing but.

Like... Even though I had problems with Jotaro I really really enjoyed SDC until they reached Egypt. The N'doul fight was amazing! What happened after that? The threat should be increasing. The tension rising. Why is all this comic relief filler happening now of all times?

Betty

Banned
Up until this point it was the fun kind of goofy. It didnt take itself seriously but it didnt treat itself like an absolute farce. Egypt Arc has been, simply put, immature. The show never 100% relied on sex, farts and poop jokes and the last few episodes have been nothing but.

Things get serious soon and there are some great fights left, just stick it out but if you continue and still find yourself not liking it just move on.

cntr

Banned
to be honest, Stardust Crusaders isn't that great until the middle of the Egypt arc. I like most of it, but it's kind of weak for a long while.

Stick around for the next few arcs and see what you think. People are reacting badly because of how...stringent your criticism was.

Edit: Yeah if you liked it up until those episodes then you'll be fine, just get past them. They're pretty weird and I totally get if you didn't find them funny.

Astral

Man I thought Mariah was one of the most fun fights if Part 3. I especially love how they defeat her without laying a finger on her. Good look getting through Alessi if you hated that.

Neoxon

I'd also like to add that Hamon/Ripple wasn't completely dropped in Stardust Crusaders. Joseph still uses it on a few occasions (including one situation later in the Egypt arc which I won't spoil).

Ascheroth

to be honest, Stardust Crusaders isn't that great until the middle of the Egypt arc. I like most of it, but it's kind of weak for a long while.

Stick around for the next few arcs and see what you think. People are reacting badly because of how...stringent your criticism was.

Edit: Yeah if you liked it up until those episodes then you'll be fine, just get past them. They're pretty weird and I totally get if you didn't find them funny.
Well it is called JoJos Bizarre Adventure.

Neoxon

I heard that Araki switched Cinderella & Quiet Life's placement in the timeline for the recent DiU omnibuses (& did some continuity changes in the manga to reflect that). Is this true?

I believe they're gonna finish DiU in 15 episodes (correct me if I'm wrong). The current pacing would probably allow for it.

Pacing is perfectly on point to finish this up in the remaining episodes, DP has done a great job cutting down certain battles to fit in one episode instead of 1.5 episodes like the chapter count would of needed.

I wouldn't mind breaks in the future if they feel it would help keep the quality. You can see the production struggling to go 39 episodes straight and the future parts get way way way more crazy.

I wouldn't mind breaks in the future if they feel it would help keep the quality. You can see the production struggling to go 39 episodes straight and the future parts get way way way more crazy.

I could see them do future parts (except Part 7) do 13 episodes, then a season break before finishing off the final 22-26 episodes.

Moaradin

If it's necessary, yeah. But the production seems better now than it was during Stardust Crusaders even with the break.

Pacing is perfect, but I'm reaaally worried about the animation quality. Some of the next fights are the most demanding in the series, so I could see DP struggling with those. While we're on that topic; R.i.p. cool transitions, where did you go :(

Jigolo

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

This anime is incredible. This episode was like the 4th in a row that was absolutely amazing.

Past 3 eps had me like

thefr.gif

my heart can't take this

Astral

I just realized something. Has Jotaro pointed at anyone this season? Does he even ever point past part 3? I don't remember at all.

Top Bottom