• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable OT What a Beautiful Duwang

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Finally, this can be posted:

tumblr_nwwl1ftZRY1tgk1ypo1_500.png

Goddamned, I was looking forward to that line.
Can't believe they cut it.

cgPdGul.jpg

Why does the baby look like

PtoKnyN.png

woopWOOP

Photograph gramps is strangely... cutesy in this anime adaptation at times.

Kind of disappointing some of Rohan's asshole moments don't make the cut. Dude was such a dick in the manga, I loved it, but I don't quite get the same feeling rewatching it now.

Episode 26

The animation this episode was rough. We got a lot of "quality" this week. It's a shame too, since this was one of my most looked forward to fights in DiU. It's so weird, and so Araki, and that's what makes it great. It's a game of Rock-Paper-Scissors where the players start flying out of nowhere for no reason. How wonderfully insane is that? Sadly, the fight was brought down the bad animation. Hopefully, it's patched up in the Blu-Rays.

Holy shit Rohan called Josuke a shitbag. 8 minutes in and I already want Rohan to break this kids fucking legs. Lol Rohan done punched a fucking 11 year old.
cjxjF0F.gif

PK Gaming

I'm surprised the majority of people weren't completely enamored by this episode. This is one of my absolute favorite JoJo fights from Part 4. The mundane turned extreme, this episode is like the purest essence of JoJo. Kind of wish the translators used "Rock Paper Scissor's kid" like in the scanlated manga, because that name has more of a nostalgic flair to it, like Recess.

Flawless.

Madao

I'm surprised the majority of people weren't completely enamored by this episode. This is one of my absolute favorite JoJo fights from Part 4. The mundane turned extreme, this episode is like the purest essence of JoJo. Kind of wish the translators used "Rock Paper Scissor's kid" like in the scanlated manga, because that name has more of a nostalgic flair to it, like Recess.

Flawless.

the line in this panel was cut too.

Why does one need to leap 30 feet in the air to fucking play Janken? This wasn't the craziest thing I've ever seen, jus needlessly over dramatic. This wasn't as crazy as that episode when Killua had to play Nen darts with his own body.

Flawless.

I liked the fight in the manga.

I found the adaptation wanting.

Astral

The Stand is called Boy II Man btw, not Boyz II Men and certainly not Boy Man Man. Obviously it comes from the former though.

Probably my least favourite episode of DiU so far, shame because it had Rohan focus.
Janken kid just annoyed me, why you such a dick Janken kid? does getting hit by the arrow also cause you to become vaguely villainous?

Jex

Flawless.
It doesn't matter how good the fight is in the manga if it looks awful in the anime and the direction is completely flat.

That was a rough episode. We're talking sub-Part 1 tier quality. It was reminiscent of the TV version of the Part 2 episode where Joseph first gets the rings - really ugly stuff.

Crocodile

This episode kind of sucked. Plot wasn't interesting, antagonist wasn't interesting, resolution was weird and the episode itself looked kind of ugly.

I am left wondering how/when Kira's dad met Enyaba though. That must have been when he was still alive right?

Probably my least favourite episode of DiU so far, shame because it had Rohan focus.
Janken kid just annoyed me, why you such a dick Janken kid? does getting hit by the arrow also cause you to become vaguely villainous?
No , That's just how all children are. Vaugley villainous

PK Gaming

It doesn't matter how good the fight is in the manga if it looks awful in the anime and the direction is completely flat.

That was a rough episode. We're talking sub-Part 1 tier quality. It was reminiscent of the TV version of the Part 2 episode where Joseph first gets the rings - really ugly stuff.

Huh.

The episode didn't particularly look all that bad for me outside of the occasional "quality" shot. I thought the direction was pretty decent too, especially towards the end. Though I guess the rock paper scissors battle itself felt a little less tense than in it was in the manga.

Thud

It did a good job of cutting the fat. Not a high note to end this season.

However it was entertaining seeing rohan punch that kid.

There has to be a future episode about her.

It's a baby with invisibility powers that freaks out and turns her surroundings invisible unless she's with Joseph. What exactly are they gonna do with her? Turn her over to the cops?
"okay she has no family but she also turns invisible and that's why she's covered in makeup, also when she gets upset her powers get stronger. good luck officers"

I loved the episode. Its one of the batshit insane fights in JoJo and thats why i love it.

Its just a intense battle in Rock, Paper, Scissors with some stupid "power of luck". Love it.

KarmaCow

I appreciate that they walked back Rohan palling around with the crew and that they really don't like each other. He's a sociopathic asshole who got off light.

But fuck that kid.

Yeah, this episode wasn't adapted very well. I remember thinking the original chapters were hilarious due to how serious the art and posing got during the fights (which obviously didn't come across when the art was as wonky and off-model as it was here), and the cut element of Rohan's comment about English speaking audiences (and Joseph's very annoyed expression after) is one of the best things considering how meta it is. Also it felt like they had to trim a lot of little bits of dialogue, which, while honestly were probably unnecessary since I don't remember any iconic lines or anything, maybe would have made it feel a bit less flat.

Anyway, the next episode (which hopefully gets more care put into it) is probably the most amazing thing in JoJo's. I honestly rate it higher than Let's Go Eat Italian Food.

ionitron

This episode was so incredibly stupid, like wow lol, I really forgot how dumb it was.

Next week though. Next week is the week I've been waiting for since the anime started. I'm so excited.

Anyway, the next episode (which hopefully gets more care put into it) is probably the most amazing thing in JoJo's. I honestly rate it higher than Let's Go Eat Italian Food.

I'm so glad someone else agrees lol, unless you're referring to the part which comes after which is also one of the best things ever.

Honestly part 4 elevates x 10 considerably for me after this arc.

I think at this point, Dr. Movie have shown themselves to be consistently underwhelming to say the least.

Dr. Movie is one of the most prominent outsourcing studios in the business. They animated most of both seasons of Kaiji and 43 episodes of Hunter X Hunter 2011, for example, and last year handled two episodes of One Punch Man. They're not an incompetent studio incapable of producing solid work, and other studios who specialize in outsourcing, such as Magic Bus or APPP, aren't more reliable.

Outsourcing in general has inherent problems because it makes it harder for animation to be overseen and corrected by the main animation staff, and the lower-tier studios who are available for outsourcing will have access to a weaker pool of animators than the upper-tier studios who are not available. If the schedule is good outsourcing will turn out fine because there will be enough time to polish the end product. If it's not, it'll be visible. The main problem that's cropping up for this show right now is not that David Production should have chosen a different studio for outsourcing, but that they are having less and less time to produce each episode. That's even visible with the storyboards, since they have become substantially less creative recently than the show's earlier standard, likely due to the storyboarders having to finish their work quicker.

This is simply the risk in the TV anime business model.

All the hate for episode...wow.

I'll admit animation is pretty all over the place, which has been the norm for several episodes now. But the janken arc is pure undiluted Araki bizarreness. Only he could make a battle so intense, bizarre, and ridiculous over a game of scissors paper rock.
Plus anything featuring Rohan is guaranteed to be a good time, as evident in the next episode (if I'm right)

Dr. Movie is one of the most prominent outsourcing studios in the business. They animated most of both seasons of Kaiji and 43 episodes of Hunter X Hunter 2011, for example, and last year handled two episodes of One Punch Man. They're not an incompetent studio incapable of producing solid work, and other studios who specialize in outsourcing, such as Magic Bus or APPP, aren't more reliable.

Outsourcing in general has inherent problems because it makes it harder for animation to be overseen and corrected by the main animation staff, and the lower-tier studios who are available for outsourcing will have access to a weaker pool of animators than the upper-tier studios who are not available. If the schedule is good outsourcing will turn out fine because there will be enough time to polish the end product. If it's not, it'll be visible. The main problem that's cropping up for this show right now is not that David Production should have chosen a different studio for outsourcing, but that they are having less and less time to produce each episode. That's even visible with the storyboards, since they have become substantially less creative recently than the show's earlier standard, likely due to the storyboarders having to finish their work quicker.

This is simply the risk in the TV anime business model.

You are right, and as someone who's been watching enough anime I should be more used to this sort of thing, especially in adaptations. And it isn't as if David hasn't always had issues with this sort of thing.

I suppose it's the whole "peaks and valleys" approach that gets frustrating, since there's only so many times you can go "it'll be fixed on the Blu-rays!" (which is ludicrous because as an American I have no access to the Blu-Rays) and "next week will be better" before you start hoping for some consistency.

All the hate for episode...wow.

I'll admit animation is pretty all over the place, which has been the norm for several episodes now. But the janken arc is pure undiluted Araki bizarreness. Only he could make a battle so intense, bizarre, and ridiculous over a game of scissors paper rock.
Plus anything featuring Rohan is guaranteed to be a good time, as evident in the next episode (if I'm right)

Again, as Jexhius put it, the content doesn't add up to much if the art is bad and the direction is flat.

This is a fun arc, but it isn't really important. In the manga you have Araki's art, layout work, and creative staging to elevate the fight. If you take that away, it's the thread that unravels the whole thing.

cntr

Banned
Wasn't the best adaptation, but I liked it.

But what I really what to talk about: Boy II Man steals Stands.

The guy could literally steal The World. But only if he beats Dio at Rock Paper Scissors.

NeonZ

It'd be useless against most villains, since the Stand doesn't force them to play against him. It only really works against good people or really stupid ones.

The best takeaway from this episode is that Daddy Kira is just floating around and randomly found some dumb kid and was like "hey the arrow wants who it wants"

Good job, you give some dumb kid a powerful as fuck Stand with the worst activation requirements.

You are right, and as someone who's been watching enough anime I should be more used to this sort of thing, especially in adaptations. And it isn't as if David hasn't always had issues with this sort of thing.

I suppose it's the whole "peaks and valleys" approach that gets frustrating, since there's only so many times you can go "it'll be fixed on the Blu-rays!" (which is ludicrous because as an American I have no access to the Blu-Rays) and "next week will be better" before you start hoping for some consistency.

I'm sure DiU BDs will get released in the US eventually, but I hear where you're coming from. Even if a production is fortunate enough to have a long lead time to prepare before the show begins airing, there are so many things that can go wrong that's it's very easy to get midway through the show and suddenly you're frantically trying to slap together episodes the day they're supposed to air. Keeping a consistent polish throughout on a TV anime schedule is an incredibly hard feat to manage. (Which is why those that manage to achieve it, such as Mob Psycho 100, should be treasured.) A side benefit of the anime industry's increasing focus on movies and theatrical series is that those have much more scheduling leeway than TV and so are more likely to have a polished production.

Wasn't the best adaptation, but I liked it.

But what I really what to talk about: Boy II Man steals Stands.

The guy could literally steal The World. But only if he beats Dio at Rock Paper Scissors.
How do you beat a vampire that can stop time at Janken though?

Probably my favourite moment of Diamond is Unbreakable. It's so fucking stupid even compared to most stand battles and whenever Rohan is involved, it's always a good time. It's just a shame that this episode was outsourced.

Can't wait to see what people think of next weeks episode.

Mortemis

Banned
Man, they fucked up the Rock Paper Scissors kid fight. :( It was so good in the manga. This was so great when reading through the entirety of part 4. You had so much seriousness with Kira and then some kid comes along wanting to play Rock Paper Scissors and Rohan beats him up. So good.

Hope next week's is top notch, god I'm so excited.

Top Bottom