• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable OT What a Beautiful Duwang

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
It took me 2 episodes <I'm lazy> but I realize Kira's dad is Shigeru Chiba. Duh...

Yeah this week he used his signature screamy voice.

Regarding Boyz 2 Man -- the problem against DiO is that he also has the strange vampire sex appeal, so he could probably stop the whole thing before it even started, and obvs if DiO ever wanted to play RPS you know he'd just fuck with him the whole time.

He's always got the x-factor of being an ultra-charismatic, colossal douchebag

dani_dc

Yeah this week he used his signature screamy voice.

Regarding Boyz 2 Man -- the problem against DiO is that he also has the strange vampire sex appeal, so he could probably stop the whole thing before it even started, and obvs if DiO ever wanted to play RPS you know he'd just fuck with him the whole time.

He's always got the x-factor of being an ultra-charismatic, colossal douchebag

He can also stop time mid-throw and see what move his opponent is about to make.

cntr

Banned
It's not just Dio, Boy II Man could steal any Stand in existence...but only if he can convince them to play rock-paper-scissors. It's silly how OP yet useless his stand is.

I know I should be accepting plot holes like "how dio survived" etc, but that part with the baby really has no sense, it's just random lol, there's no explanation on how the baby get to him and when he used his stand

MrHoot

It's not just Dio, Boy II Man could steal any Stand in existence...but only if he can convince them to play rock-paper-scissors. It's silly how OP yet useless his stand is.

It would take mostly one good stand to become completely overpowered. The simple fact that if he got Heaven's door, he would become then almost completely unstoppable as he could then force people to play (and lose) against him again and again and become godlike

So I read the thread for the past few days and no one mentions the hole in the kid's cheek!

What the hell? On one hand I like the weirdness, on the other hand it didn't add that much. It just seemed like such a random quirk to the character. Is it in reference to anything that I'm missing?

So I read the thread for the past few days and no one mentions the hole in the kid's cheek!

What the hell? On one hand I like the weirdness, on the other hand it didn't add that much. It just seemed like such a random quirk to the character. Is it in reference to anything that I'm missing?
That's where the arrow pierced him.

Omadahl

Banned
That episode was so amazingly outlandish. Jumping 50 feet in the air just to play rock, paper, scissors, and the minute long speeches about changing your luck... my god it was anime in a nutshell.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Yeah, in part 4, he is 79 years old. He didn't keep up with his Hamon training and age sort of caught up to him in the 10 years between part 3 and part 4. Having all his blood drained in Part 3 could be partially responsible too.

Don't forget that the reason Jotaro went to Morioh was because they found out about Josuke being alive when preparing Joseph's will.

PK Gaming

CtIbjFoW8AA_typ.jpg

Joseph Joestar once crossdressed in order to sneak into a Nazi base, and was genuinely surprised it didn't work
I just interpreted that as "do I look like I give a fuck".

To clarify, I saw him as a guy that just went with whatever silly idea he had in his head when he was feeling too confident, in the sense that he felt so confident that it didn't matter if the plan was goofball as hell, he'd still get it right in the end. But he's very cunning and quick to come up with tricks and shit when he's under pressure,so Id hesitate to call him an idiot,rather than a clown.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
The thing I don't like about Joseph in part 4 - and I know this is a Japanese trope in anime and manga, but still - is that all of a sudden he starts using these "old people" words, like "ja" instead of "da" or "ja no" instead of "da ne".

I get it, he's old, not to mention senile, but after hearing him actually speak like a normal person for 2 arcs, the sudden switch to "old people talk" is really jarring to me. Characters in anime and manga tend to be young or old, but they rarely age enough during the course of the story to go from young to 70+, so it's usually not an issue, but in this case I feel they/Araki should have broken the rule.

Erigu

The thing I don't like about Joseph in part 4 - and I know this is a Japanese trope in anime and manga, but still - is that all of a sudden he starts using these "old people" words, like "ja" instead of "da" or "ja no" instead of "da ne".
He already used those in Part 3.
(in fact, there already was a "ja" at the very end of Part 2, in the airport scene)

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Fun arc but weak adaptation :/
Weak direction, off model character are some of the problem i this episode. Decent bgm though.

Philippo

Yeah it took me till this episode to notice that Rohan's VA is the same as Katsura from Gintama, the laugh really gives it away.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
He already used those in Part 3.
(in fact, there already was a "ja" at the very end of Part 2, in the airport scene)

Just checked. He doesn't use "ja" or any old people words at the end of part 2, but then he isn't even voiced by the same actor.

But you're right: he does use words like "ja" and "washi" in part 3. I was remembering wrong. That said, he uses them sparingly and... Well, he still uses them is my point :p. It wouldn't be weird if Joseph was always known as an old dude from the get-go, as that's the way old people speak in most anime, but it's just weird when his younger self didn't talk like that at all. Anime trope gonna trope I guess.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
couldn't he just pick that up over time?

people don't speak the same way all their life.

Well, though I haven't spoken with a lot of old Japanese people when I was in Japan (and when I did, oh boy was it hard to understand them), it's always been my understanding, though I may be wrong, that stuff like "ja" instead of "da" or "washi" instead of "boku", "ore" or "watashi" are not indicative of age/growing old so much as old-fashioned/archaic ways of speaking. i.e. they're the way people would be speaking back in the day when the character was young. So if anything, Joseph should be using "ja" a lot back in Battle Tendency because Battle Tendency happens before WW2, and either stick with it or use it less as his speech pattern evolves with the way language itself evolves. But then, that means everyone should speak like that in Battle Tendency, and I guess that would sound weird too.

Your argument is a good one, but it only applies to some of his trademark expressions in Stardust like "Oh no!" and "Oh my God!". For some reason he started using those a lot as he went through life, because, as you said, people don't speak the same way throughout their lives.

[EDIT] For the record I doubt Japanese people were all like "ja" and "washi" pre-WW2. It's probably older than that, and possibly a rural thing. But if people were speaking the way they actually spoke back in the day, nobody would understand or want to watch the show. It would just sound too weird.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
That would be more horrifying so I'd prefer it yes.

"That's right Scrooge, I took your grandfather Titus' body for my own. Your Hermit Money is no match me"
"Burst me bagpipes! I must warn Donald!"

"Mickey, your Keyworld may stop time, I but I can take you on with my Stand, Star Dew-tinum!"
"Muda Muda Donald, I'm the face of Disney!"

I have no idea what I'm doing.

The only person Rohan is really friendly with is Koichi, which is ironic given Koichi was the one Rohan attacked first to begin with.

Then again Koichi likes his manga and didn't force him to go on hiatus like a certain "shitbag" lol

Top Bottom