• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable OT What a Beautiful Duwang

woopWOOP

new opening was great

still prefer the "German opening"
lol

New OP is really jammin', good stuff

The whole dice gambling thing was one of my favorite parts of the manga, so it's too bad a lot of stuff is getting cut again. Hopefully they take some time with it during the first half of the next episode instead of rushing through it like no tomorrow.

Demoli

Apart from that one shot of Heaven and the beggining showing the icons of all of Kira's powers
bites the dust looked hella wierd
, the new OP's visuals are soo bland, and it recycles so many animations with Kira and the crew's Stands.

Chase was better imo. Stand Proud still GoaT.

Next week starts GREATNESS.

petran79

Banned
Part 4 should have been 50 episodes instead of SDC. 39 episodes would have been perfect for part 3. Now they miss a lot of great stuff while SDC had even the most boring parts narrated in detail. The remaining episodes are based on the best part of the manga.
12 episodes suffice for the remaining chapters but they could have been so much better.

I guess they'll alter the opening in later episodes like they did with OP1, since some stands are missing

Not sure on the new opening, I hated Chase at first but ended up loving it so I'll hold off judgement. It's sad that they cut out a lot of great shit this episode. I just hope they still put that one gag in the start of the next episode. You know the one.

Neoxon

Gotta love that new opening.

Also, there's apparently gonna be an English version of the song (which I can definitely see being used for whenever Toonami gets to Part 4).

TWILT

Banned
I like the new OP quite a bit. As far as songs goes, I still prefer Chase/CNBT more, but this wasn't bad at all. Really dig the visuals in it too.

Pretty excited for Highway Star Go Go next thoooooo

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
ayylmao is best support character

sucks they cut some stuff though, it was hilarious in the manga

They had to cut some parts out of this, which is really disappointing. If they're already starting the next fight next episode, then I guess they won't be put in as flash backs:

-Mikitaka explaining that the ice cream was made out of his fingers
-More bits in the making dice scene, where he explains he can't copy faces and also keeps making Bruce Lee WATAAAA noises when Josuke throws him, and also gets sick and throws up when Josuke shakes him too hard (and you can see that two of the divots are his eyes), Mikitaka asks if they're going to be taking advantage of someone while Josuke reassures him, and Josuke shuffling dice perfectly
-The scene where Rohan swaps the dice is more explicit, with him going back inside and rummaging around in the drawer before he sees them, while Josuke is still outside and trying not to laugh
-Rohan explaining the history of cee-lo and dice in general, as well as trying to intimidate Josuke by casually talking about how the Yakuza deal with cee-lo cheaters by stabbing them 21 times and shoving two of the dice in their eye sockets and the third die... somewhere else

well at least it transitions into Highway Star it seems

but I thought they'd keep the explanation since it was in the trailer

Tall4Life

The new OP was cool, not a fan of the song though. Might be my least favorite of any of the JoJo themes.

Also yeah wtf at that Terry Funk reference

1f3b6.png
Let the voice of love take you higher!
1f3b6.png

How far are we through the story? Half?

I a
Imagine this is going to be as long as stardust crusaders

DiU is significantly longer than SDC in the manga, but in the anime it's shorter. They seem to be condensing quite a bit of DiU stuff, and SDC got dragged out a bit with two part battles early on when they could have feasibly condensed those.

Breads

Banned
Rohan's at home attire is on point.

Also Josuke and Okuyasu are totally bros now. The telepathy scenes were great. Very reminiscent of Turk/JD and Troy/Abed. I don't remember the manga going down quite like that.

I did however remember plenty that they just skipped through though and that's a shame. I liked the weirdness on display in this arc. I get it though. It's non essential to t he plot and we all know there's been plenty of that. But still... I like the slice of life/ weird goings-on and could have used some of what they left out.

Moaradin

I haven't seen the episode yet but holy shit Great Days is great. It's shooting up my favorite JoJo OP list every time I watch it.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
The intro part (breakdown) is probably my favorite part of Great Days. After that it's meh to me (song wise). But that is just first impressions.

Squishy3

Personally, I would need to get used to the OP. This must be a record having three separate OPs in one season.
Eh it's not unheard of. Both FMA series had a lot of different OPs.

Jojo's just unique in wherethe OPs are actually made based around the series versus the songs being made regardless and just being adapted to OPs.

dani_dc

They had to cut some parts out of this, which is really disappointing. If they're already starting the next fight next episode, then I guess they won't be put in as flash backs:

-Mikitaka explaining that the ice cream was made out of his fingers
-More bits in the making dice scene, where he explains he can't copy faces and also keeps making Bruce Lee WATAAAA noises when Josuke throws him, and also gets sick and throws up when Josuke shakes him too hard (and you can see that two of the divots are his eyes), Mikitaka asks if they're going to be taking advantage of someone while Josuke reassures him, and Josuke shuffling dice perfectly
-The scene where Rohan swaps the dice is more explicit, with him going back inside and rummaging around in the drawer before he sees them, while Josuke is still outside and trying not to laugh
-Rohan explaining the history of cee-lo and dice in general, as well as trying to intimidate Josuke by casually talking about how the Yakuza deal with cee-lo cheaters by stabbing them 21 times and shoving two of the dice in their eye sockets and the third die... somewhere else

This was the true fault of this episode.
Hopefully they still fit the bolded at the start of the next episode, it would be a good place to put it in.

cntr

Banned
That scene is going to be in the next episode, Rohan is talking about it in the preview for this episode.

Wait, why was Okuyasu's first reaction to the crop circle "TERRY FUNK".
Was he expecting backyard hardcore wrasslin'?
Okuyasu was trying to say "mystery circle" (crop circle), but accidentally said "Terry Funk"

like mysTERY cir(fun)Cle

a very common mistake, i'm sure

Auctopus

In the latest episode when
Jojo is talking to Rohan on the porch, there are some points where Rohan's face looks absolutely terrible.

Really odd.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
New theme is okay. My favourite is still: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-GWFGwbEPg (Bloody Stream); it has just the right amount of swagger and jazz I'd associate with a Jojo. Latest themes have been getting a bit light.

I was thinking the same. Rohan is drawn absolutely terribly in this episode, looks downright offmodel for about half of it.

In general I feel like the animation has been getting a little sloppier of late? I don't know which studios do which episodes or whatever, but just something I'd noticed.

Dice-guy is interesting. Getting a bit wary this is going to go all Stardust Crusaders on me and just be Monster of the Week without obvious progression again. That's not really this episode's fault, that one's on janken boy. But this one at least has some development between two characters we've not really seen interact outside of trying to kill each other before.

I was rewatching S1 and S2 lately, and one thing I've noticed is that Araki has seriously drawn down on the gothic themes in favour of something more in the line of high fashion. I kind of miss the gothic take. I don't think it's better, per se, but I'd be interested to see a return to it over catwalk Jojos. Change of pace, maybe.

cntr

Banned
"Wow, this opening sucks! Give me back the old one."
"Eh, this isn't too bad I guess"
"This is great!"
"I can't wait for the next OP to be as good."

The never ending cycle of Jojo OPs.

(Great Days is greato.)

I think it's more like Araki moved away from a more gothic setting into finding things about modern times that can be considered odd or horrifying.

As for high fashion, oh boy, we've barely started with that yet.

I think it's more like Araki moved away from a more gothic setting into finding things about modern times that can be considered odd or horrifying.

As for high fashion, oh boy, we've barely started with that yet.
Speaking of that, part 5 pretty much confirmed by the new opening.
Look at the road signs when Koichi and Yukako meet.

cntr

Banned
Araki makes every Part significantly different in theme:

Part 1 was Fist of the North Star with Dracula, Part 2 was Shounen Indiana Jones feating Mayan supervampires, Part 3 was Around the World in 50 Days with psychic ghosts, and Part 4 is Twin Peaks + Slice-of-life highschool shenanigans.

Not going to talk about future part details because spoilers, but every part from DiU onwards varies wildly in tone and setting. Araki is an experimental and imaginative guy, and Stardust Crusaders being successful gave him a lot more leeway in doing what he wanted.

Tizoc

Araki makes every Part significantly different in theme:

Part 1 was Fist of the North Star with Dracula, Part 2 was Shounen Indiana Jones feating Mayan supervampires, Part 3 was Around the World in 50 Days with psychic ghosts, and Part 4 is Twin Peaks + Slice-of-life highschool shenanigans.
7fXf9t6.jpg

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
SDC dragged on. I don't think anyone will deny this.

I think DIU benefits overall from having a tighter package, even if some of the missed scenes (and there are only a few) hurt a bit.

yeah, DiU is a much better package than SDC for the pacing. If anything, I'd go so far as to say DiU still has a little fat than could have been cut, although it's lean enough to work well still.

Maybe they'll include some of the extra scenes in the Blu-Ray release, along with updated and better animation?

It would be highly unusual for the staff to add extra scenes to the BD version; that happens, but rarely and it's usually known in advance. Polishing up animation that they didn't have time to correct for broadcast will definitely happen, since it happens in almost every anime home release.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
SDC dragged on. I don't think anyone will deny this.

I think DIU benefits overall from having a tighter package, even if some of the missed scenes (and there are only a few) hurt a bit.
I really hated the first third of Part 3. Those one-off villain of the week episodes were awful. I felt like it only started getting good after they started doing more 2-part fights starting with Enya.

Part 4 feels like the reverse. It started out really strong with Aqua Necklace and Nijimura Bros, but it's been bogged down by these filler episodes of varying quality. I don't need every episode to be a fight, but I will never understand how people found a best of 5 game of rock paper scissors (with minimal Jojo flair) to be worth a week-long wait. Maybe all of these side characters make a meaningful impact in the future (ie Cinderella being Kira's escape vector), but if they don't then it's all filler. It's frustrating how they will establish a main villain (RHCP, Kira, etc.) and then immediately stuff in 5-10 episodes of fluff until you get to what you wanted in the first place.

I really hated the first third of Part 3. Those one-off villain of the week episodes were awful. I felt like it only started getting good after they started doing more 2-part fights starting with Enya.

Part 4 feels like the reverse. It started out really strong with Aqua Necklace and Nijimura Bros, but it's been bogged down by these filler episodes of varying quality. I don't need every episode to be a fight, but I will never understand how people found a best of 5 game of rock paper scissors (with minimal Jojo flair) to be worth a week-long wait. Maybe all of these side characters make a meaningful impact in the future (ie Cinderella being Kira's escape vector), but if they don't then it's all filler. It's frustrating how they will establish a main villain (RHCP, Kira, etc.) and then immediately stuff in 5-10 episodes of fluff until you get to what you wanted in the first place.
I actually don't mind it as long as they take the time to flesh out Kira as a character. He's actually been a lot of fun. He wouldn't be as awesome if they just boss rushed him and they didn't take the time to explore the character. I'll admit some of the stand of the week stuff is unneeded and I didn't enjoy Janken Boy too much, but so far I think that's been the only weak one so far. I found Atom Heart Father hilarious for example, just seems to depend on the execution.

Top Bottom