• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable OT What a Beautiful Duwang

For the thousandth time, there is no filler in JoJo. If you say there is, you are wrong. If you insist there is, then JoJo isn't for you and you're wasting your time.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
I actually don't mind it as long as they take the time to flesh out Kira as a character. He's actually been a lot of fun. He wouldn't be as awesome if they just boss rushed him and they didn't take the time to explore the character. I'll admit some of the stand of the week stuff is unneeded and I didn't enjoy Janken Boy too much, but so far I think that's been the only weak one so far. I found Atom Heart Father hilarious for example, just seems to depend on the execution.
Oh, I don't mind character development. But Kira (so far) has had nothing to do with Janken Boy, the alien, etc. I liked Shigechi because he was sort of endearing and served as an emotional anchor for Kira to manipulate.

But you're right -- execution is key here. I loved the Italian restaurant episode because it understood your expectations and played with them right up until the last minute. Stuff like the rat or Janken Boy fall flat in comparison imo.

For the thousandth time, there is no filler in JoJo. If you say there is, you are wrong. If you insist there is, then JoJo isn't for you and you're wasting your time.
no u

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I really hated the first third of Part 3. Those one-off villain of the week episodes were awful. I felt like it only started getting good after they started doing more 2-part fights starting with Enya.

Part 4 feels like the reverse. It started out really strong with Aqua Necklace and Nijimura Bros, but it's been bogged down by these filler episodes of varying quality. I don't need every episode to be a fight, but I will never understand how people found a best of 5 game of rock paper scissors (with minimal Jojo flair) to be worth a week-long wait. Maybe all of these side characters make a meaningful impact in the future (ie Cinderella being Kira's escape vector), but if they don't then it's all filler. It's frustrating how they will establish a main villain (RHCP, Kira, etc.) and then immediately stuff in 5-10 episodes of fluff until you get to what you wanted in the first place.

I agree strongly. If jankenboy had been cut, I wouldn't have noticed or cared.

Stand encounters are not filler because stand encounters are the focus of the show.

I agree strongly. If jankenboy had been cut, I wouldn't have noticed or cared.

This could apply to literally every non jojo character and every stand encounter aside from the main villain. All of DIO's minions are "filler", and all the highly entertaining battles in part 4 have been distractions from Kira.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Stand encounters are not filler because stand encounters are the focus of the show.

Only if you grossly oversimplify. If Jojo was purely about totally unrelated stand encounters in a 100% monster of the week format, I wouldn't watch. I become engrossed, because there's a narrative - all of the encounters contribute to the overarching theme and direction, which is the confrontation with Kira. For example, Cindarella added to this because it explained how Kira escaped his first confrontation with Josuke. When stand encounters don't have anything to do with Kira, and that includes developing any of the characters who will go on to face Kira, they're filler. They don't serve the overall narrative of this section.

I don't think DiU has been bad at this. It's actually been pretty filler low. So far, I think only jankenboy really fits that. Ratt gave us a chance to develop the Josuke/Jotaro bond, which was underexplored, for an example. jankenboy didn't tell us anything about Rohan we didn't know already or advance the plot in any way.

However, it has been a problem for Araki before. Stardust Crusaders had an absolutely awful monster of the week problem. If you jump back in time a bit, there were a fair few complaints in this thread about it from a variety of different posters.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
This could apply to literally every non jojo character and every stand encounter aside from the main villain. All of DIO's minions are "filler", and all the highly entertaining battles in part 4 have been distractions from Kira.

This just isn't true at all. For example, Cindarella gave us clues as to how exactly Kira would escape that particular fight. Without Cindarella, you couldn't have that fight. Ratt helped develop the emotional bond between Josuke and Jotaro. Without Ratt, we wouldn't have had the same empathy we do for these characters. There's actually very few fights I thought served absolutely no purpose.

But jankenboy was definitely one of them.

If RPS Kid had succeeded, then the heroes would have been severely nerfed by the loss of Heaven's Door, and their hunt for Kira would be much harder

This just isn't true at all. For example, Cindarella gave us clues as to how exactly Kira would escape that particular fight. Without Cindarella, you couldn't have that fight. Ratt helped develop the emotional bond between Josuke and Jotaro. Without Ratt, we wouldn't have had the same empathy we do for these characters. There's actually very few fights I thought served absolutely no purpose.

But jankenboy was definitely one of them.

Cindarella didn't retroactively become good because it later explained Kira's escape. Cindarella already was good because it was an entertaining chapter of the story.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
If RPS Kid had succeeded, then the heroes would have been severely nerfed by the loss of Heaven's Door, and their hunt for Kira would be much harder
Now THAT would have been interesting.

Cindarella didn't retroactively become good because it later explained Kira's escape. Cindarella already was good because it was an entertaining chapter of the story.
But it becomes better when an already decent episode also has effects on the overarching plot. There's no need for fillers. Even if the filler is a "good" stand encounter, why not give it some lasting meaning? Of course, this is all under the assumption that JKBoy is never seen again. I do hope he shows up again.

PK Gaming

Some of these later arcs work so much better in the manga than in the anime.

I will never agree with the assertion that the RPS kid arc was bad. Underwhelming in the anime, sure, but it was straight up fantastic in the manga.

Omadahl

Banned
all you people talking about bad animation but how could is be bad when it has this

tumblr_oeca69DSIv1qgc5d6o1_400.gif

This is great "Haters gonna hate" gif.

Thud

Now THAT would have been interesting.

But it becomes better when an already decent episode also has effects on the overarching plot. There's no need for fillers. Even if the filler is a "good" stand encounter, why not give it some lasting meaning? Of course, this is all under the assumption that JKBoy is never seen again. I do hope he shows up again.

This doesn't work on adaptions. People want to see an already existing piece in motion.

I also wouldn't call it filler when they try to condense storyarcs in as few episodes as possible. And characters or rather events influence other characters which is also part of the story. A story isn't told just by its plot.

The town itself is a very important character in this story an its inhabitants are part of that.

Well we probably won't have this discussion during the final arcs anymore.

Some of these later arcs work so much better in the manga than in the anime.

I will never agree with the assertion that the RPS kid arc was bad. Underwhelming in the anime, sure, but it was straight up fantastic in the manga.

Pretty much, some of it comes to rushed outsourced animation and some it comes from just it not transitioning right from manga to anime.

Gonna say RPS kid was entertaining in the manga but it's not really plot important. It's basically a reintroduction to Rohan.

This alien arc, however, does lead to an important detail.

Don't get huffy. Diamond is unbreakable has story tangents that doesn't always translate into a very viewer friendly format, until they pay off in the long term.

Its whole is better than its parts.

Yonafunu

The filler talk is weird because the entire stand of the week format is the narrative in DiU. The only real goal you get is Josuke's promise to protect Morioh in his grandfather's place. Everything after that is him doing exactly that; meeting and investigating other Stand users. Kira's just one of the many. The only difference between Kira and the rest is that his story is more fleshed out. He doesn't really have any more of a connection to Josuke that any of the other Stand users.

Format-wise, some of you folks will probably like Part 5 a lot more. So hopefully you'll stick around until then.

Part 5 feels a bit like a retread of Part 3's format, completely abandoning Part 4's more docile trappings.

Thats not inherently bad (Part 5 has amazing fights) but I don't know how new people will be receive it. Having an actual translation should help Part 5's Western reputation though. For all the shit Duwang gets, its not even close to as bad as the Part 5 translation which gives the illusion of being correct, but is straight up lies and made up stuff some of the time.

Just a reminder that there are very few events in part 4 that don't introduce something or someone who comes into play later on.

Janken Boy wasn't just a "stand of the week" encounter but also introduced the plot point of Kira's dad creating stand users to combat Josuke's group and noted that Rohan was taking pictures of salarymen at the train station. In fact, one of the pictures he took was of Kira, suggesting that later on he might try to interview him or his family.

Granted, the fight itself was inconsequential because Rohan won, but like all of part 4 it's about the whole episode and not just the stand battle part. The whole of part 4 is very much worth more than the sum of its parts.

Part 5 feels a bit like a retread of Part 3's format, completely abandoning Part 4's more docile trappings.

Thats not inherently bad (Part 5 has amazing fights) but I don't know how new people will be receive it. Having an actual translation should help Part 5's Western reputation though. For all the shit Duwang gets, its not even close to as bad as the Part 5 translation which gives the illusion of being correct, but is straight up lies and made up stuff some of the time.

I think the difference between part 3's and part 5's structure is that part 5 is laser-focused. There's no letting up, no breather fights at all.

But perhaps I've said too much.

I feel like new watchers warmed up to Part 3's format once the battles got more interesting and the main crew more enjoyable. It didn't help much that fights were dragged a bit in the anime though. Despite that, I don't remember folks yelling filler as much after every encounter, and I think that's because the crew was always working towards taking down the single big bad entity, not a general, loose conflict on top of their day-to-day lives.

Part 5 is retread of that for sure, almost too focused, but with way more creative stands, dynamic fights and (maybe) likable main crew, which is why I feel those types of new watchers will like it more.

We might wanna continue this in the other thread.

I think I'm pretty much "Jojo 4 Lyfe" at this point so I'm not going anywhere.
Cool! I'm most referring to folks unsatisfied with Part 4 though.

Mista Koo

This just isn't true at all. For example, Cindarella gave us clues as to how exactly Kira would escape that particular fight. Without Cindarella, you couldn't have that fight.
Which is why Cinderella was IMO the weakest encounter since it was a thinly veiled plot device (made more obvious by the fact that in the manga the arc took place just before the fight with Kira).

Closer Two

This guy is right. Just because it doesn't move the plot "forward" does not mean it's filler. I'm seeing so many anime fans miss the point of Part 4.

Maybe not filler, but Janken kid is a shit character and if he somehow is important the anime would have been better rewriting things to cut him out.

Ascheroth

I'm glad that there's apparently something wrong with my eyes, because I didn't notice all this 'ugly art, bad animation' everyone's talking about.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
It's almost like everything will be fixed in the Blu-rays or something.

Ascheroth

Yeah not exactly seeing it outside of the obvious 2nd pic and to a lesser extent the first.
The others look fine. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Anime, outsourcing, etc., has existed for how many decades now, worked on by human beings who are not perfect, and people still point things out like this is all new and never seen before.

Kthulhu

Anime, outsourcing, etc., has existed for how many decades now, worked on by human beings who are not perfect, and people still point things out like this is all new and never seen before.

^this

This shit ain't new. It's not like the show is somehow ruined because of it. Plus, it will be fixed in the Blu Rays.

Closer Two

Something about Josuke's expression and body language in that last screenshot is killing me. Especially with that subtitle. The QUALITY made it funnier.

SoulUnison

Banned
Something about Josuke's expression and body language in that last screenshot is killing me. Especially with that subtitle. The QUALITY made it funnier.

For somereason that screenshot makes me read the subtitle in Hank Hill's voice.

The new OP is pretty amazing, especially the intro section that cribs the best part of "BreakDown/Josuke's Theme."
Let me see if I get all the forshadowing/symbolism in there...

The symbols that appear behind "BreakDown"
are Killer Queen, Sheer Heart Attack, Stray Cat and Cinderella, right? Why is Stray Cat before Cinderella? And the whole sequence alludes to Bites the Dust?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Cool! I'm most referring to folks unsatisfied with Part 4 though.

I'm not dissatisfied with Part 4 - I like it much more than Part 3! I don't think Part 4 has been bad for filler at all. jankenboy is the first time I felt like an episode just hadn't paid off in anyway. I just mentioned it because I'm a little wary of this new alien plotline, and I might not have been had it not been for jankenboy. Part 4's pacing has been really good.

Where I was unsatisfied was Part 3, which was downright boring at parts. Definitely felt like there were a lot of episodes where it was so formulaic Araki was phoning it in. Didn't help it had the most boring Jojo by a country mile, either.

2>4>1>>>>3 is my feeling so far.

Aside from the reused animations at the end, I'm surprised people are calling the visuals of the new OP "lazy". Obviously I can't spoil anything here, but there seems to be way more references to people and events (more subtly) than the Chase OP and even CNBT (if you don't count the character portrait montage). A lot of the symbols and art designs are way more deliberate than people give it credit for.

Part 3 is the most popular part by a country mile, and Jotaro has been the face of the franchise for like 20 years, but yeah Araki was definitely phoning it in during Part 3, and not changing everything up and trying a bunch of new ideas, most based on his favorite horror movies, which ended up creating the most iconic Part.

But no, Araki was phoning it in. What the fuck.

Kurtofan

Aside from the reused animations at the end, I'm surprised people are calling the visuals of the new OP "lazy". Obviously I can't spoil anything here, but there seems to be way more references to people and events (more subtly) than the Chase OP and even CNBT (if you don't count the character portrait montage). A lot of the symbols and art designs are way more deliberate than people give it credit for.

I really don't like kira's model at the beginning

Qurupeke

The worst thing about the Diamond is Unbreakable's "downgrade" is definitely the lack of cool, slick transitions like the first few episodes.

Top Bottom