• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable OT What a Beautiful Duwang

Can't wait for Toonamigaf to be introduced to the Pillar Men. Seeing the reactions to 12 Nazi's being stitched together via their hands and then having their life essence sucked out will be hilarious.

Genryu

Banned
Can't wait for Toonamigaf to be introduced to the Pillar Men. Seeing the reactions to 12 Nazi's being stitched together via their hands and then having their life essence sucked out will be hilarious.

I mean, it'll be more hilarious when you get to the point where you need to ask,

"Wait, are the nazis the good guys in this?"

cntr

Banned
Nah, Yugo Kanno did Part 3 and 4. Taku Iwasaki hasn't done any other Jojo stuff, but you probably know him from his Gurren Lagann soundtrack, among others.

and yeah, Iwasaki was upset by how his music was used, and...I'd agree. The full OST is even amazinger.

Well I have no complaints with Yugo Kanno then. I didn't notice the music too much in SDC, but I like what they're doing for Part 4. Tomoko meeting Jotaro is fucking hilarious. "Skee Skee Skee Skee Skee!!!"

cntr

Banned
Kakyoin's backstory and motivations were pretty interesting, too bad we got it right before he died.

Araki's mentioned that if he wrote SDC today, he'd give more focus to Avdol and his backstory involving his dad. Wonder if he thinks the same about Kakyoin.

Zolo

Araki's mentioned that if he wrote SDC today, he'd give more focus to Avdol and his backstory involving his dad. Wonder if he thinks the same about Kakyoin.

Apparently, he was also intended to be female before Araki's editors told him to make Kakyoin a guy.

Edit: Nevermind. Was wrong.

Style

Banned
Kakyoin's backstory and motivations were pretty interesting, too bad we got it right before he died.

I've posted it before, but this is my favourite Kakyoin fact:

Fun fact, Kakyoin's first name wasn't meant to be Noriaki, but Tenmei. Araki originally submitted 花京院 典明 to his editors for Kakyoin's name, but the kanji for his first name can be read as both Tenmei and Noriaki, so the editor thought it was Noriaki. Araki didn't know until he read the finished comic. His original name can also be seen in the hotel guest book in the Justice arc (which DP also carried over to the animation).

WwdA4ws.png

Source.

Crocodile

Oh shit, Okuyasu did something useful in a fight again! :O

I really wish they wouldn't stress the "OMG this character dead" bit for a character they obviously know isn't going to die. Or I suppose I should lay the blame on Araki. I think its the whole "soul leaving their body" effect you see from time to time. You saw it in Avdol's first death, Iggy's death, Kakoyin's death, Joesph's "death", Josuke's grandfather's death (if I recall correctly) and with Okuyasu here. I think if you don't use that effect I'm fine with what happened here but its clear that "effect" is supposed to imply permanence yet they use it all the time :/

I was also wondering before this episode if they were ever going to wrap up the plot line with Kira's dad and if Kira ever even acknowledge that said dude was his father - it was never clear even in their interaction a few episodes back. As an aside, is the arrow that Kira's dad had now destroyed?

Anyway this was a great episode <3

Fun thing in this fight:

Josuke used the road to make a wall, like he did in Highway Star,
flicked objects like bullets, which he learned from Jotaro during Ratt,
used his dried blood as a heal-able object, which he learned during Superfly (though this was cut from the anime),
used smoke to see something invisible, which he learned from Joseph rescuing the invisible baby,
and stole a phone, which he also did during Highway Star.

As you said we never saw the bit with Superfly in the anime but all together this list really highlights why this was such a great fight and how Josuke is a great protagonist. It's like a well polished game where you get to the last level and to succeed you have to use all the skills you've learned throughout the game.

At least its good to hear Araki realizes he did Avdol dirty. Or pretty much every much everybody who wasn't Jotaro or Polnareff. It's a shame the DP adaptation of SDC had to be so literal though I know that's what a lot of manga readers wanted. There are A LOT of places that arc could have been improved. As much shit as the people give the OVAs, and there were some painful omissions/changes, there were also a lot of changes for the better. A TV adaptation that played looser with the source material (though that would be years off if ever) would be sweet to see.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Avdol is boss, and I think extremely underlooked for being one of the very few prominent Arab and Muslim characters in any kind of media, especially Japanese media. One of my favourite Jojo characters and I'm still deeply disappointed in how Araki dealt with him.

Avdol is boss, and I think extremely underlooked for being one of the very few prominent Arab and Muslim characters in any kind of media, especially Japanese media. One of my favourite Jojo characters and I'm still deeply disappointed in how Araki dealt with him.
Pretty sure Avdol is black.

Avdol actually had a dad?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
His namesake (Paula Abdul) is of Syrian descent. I mean, if he is black that is also impressive, but I think that people of Arab descent have even less media time than those who are black, so I'm not going to begrudge them Avdol's inclusion.

To me, he was always a Sudanese Arab, like this guy: http://cache.boston.com/universal/site_graphics/blogs/bigpicture/sudan_06_13/sudan16.jpg

I mean, that's a fair argument, but his skin, facial features, hair and stereotypical voice always made me think he was meant to be 'black' rather than Arabic but I can see why youd think otherwise with the origin of his name and that reference picture.

So my friend who wanted to drop JoJo's after the first EP of Part 1 on Toonami caught the first EP of Part 2 this weekend and he's on board now.

GREATO

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I mean, that's a fair argument, but his skin, facial features, hair and stereotypical voice always made me think he was meant to be 'black' rather than Arabic but I can see why youd think otherwise with the origin of his name and that reference picture.

Can't Arabic people be black?

At least its good to hear Araki realizes he did Avdol dirty. Or pretty much every much everybody who wasn't Jotaro or Polnareff. It's a shame the DP adaptation of SDC had to be so literal though I know that's what a lot of manga readers wanted. There are A LOT of places that arc could have been improved. As much shit as the people give the OVAs, and there were some painful omissions/changes, there were also a lot of changes for the better. A TV adaptation that played looser with the source material (though that would be years off if ever) would be sweet to see.

Yeah I wouldn't count on a redo of SDC that's less accurate to the source material to ever happen. I think the SDC anime was successful enough and Jojo has enough future material that a 'Brotherhood' situation isn't feasible. Not to mention future Jojo arcs already improve the structure so why bother?

There's no denying that SDC favored Jotaro and Polnareff for more singles shine than the others. Araki's initial decision to kill off Avdol's early, slot Kakyoin in as the 'knowledgeable' one, then bring back Avdol and sideline Kakyoin hurts their momentum as characters. But I still think there's still a healthy amount of group interactions and battles that most people kind of gloss over.

So it was about 9 months between JoJo seasons this last time. Are we thinking next Fall season or is there a chance of it coming earlier or later? I just wonder if its popularity level affects its production speed one way or another.

Crocodile

I mean concepts like "Black" and "White" are nebulous and have changed over the years in terms of who gets included/excluded and who doesn't but my rule of thumb is:

Darker than "Fair" Complexion (you can have some pretty light-skinned Black people so you have to allow a lot of leeway here) + Specific "Black" Facial Features (Nose and Hair phenotypes are the standouts) + can trace their genealogy a few generations straight back to Africa or nations/communities comprised of an African immigrant majority = Black.

Avdol clearly fits this definition. He is also likely Arab as well since "Black" and Arab aren't at all mutually exclusive. You can be either one or you can be both.

Yeah I wouldn't count on a redo of SDC that's less accurate to the source material to ever happen. I think the SDC anime was successful enough and Jojo has enough future material that a 'Brotherhood' situation isn't feasible. Not to mention future Jojo arcs already improve the structure so why bother?

There's no denying that SDC favored Jotaro and Polnareff for more singles shine than the others. Araki's initial decision to kill off Avdol's early, slot Kakyoin in as the 'knowledgeable' one, then bring back Avdol and sideline Kakyoin hurts their momentum as characters. But I still think there's still a healthy amount of group interactions and battles that most people kind of gloss over.

Why bother? Because the other parts aren't SDC and don't have Avdol, Kakoyin, Joesph, Dio, etc. You are right though that there is still plenty of Jojo to adapt (another 4-6 years worth of TV series) and probably not a lot of demand for Jojo - SDC: Brotherhood.

Matsukaze

So it was about 9 months between JoJo seasons this last time. Are we thinking next Fall season or is there a chance of it coming earlier or later? I just wonder if its popularity level affects its production speed one way or another.
Fall of next year is the earliest it's going to be, barring some magic on DavidPro's part.

As for the show's popularity, it could actually indicate a later release. Part 5 is the second most popular arc in Japan, so DavidPro may very well take their time making sure they get everything exactly right. What they accomplished with Part 4 was very impressive, but I imagine the team will want to aim even higher and surpass their previous successes.

Why bother? Because the other parts aren't SDC and don't have Avdol, Kakoyin, Joesph, Dio, etc. You are right though that there is still plenty of Jojo to adapt (another 4-6 years worth of TV series) and probably not a lot of demand for Jojo - SDC: Brotherhood.

The only thing I could think of is if David pro or whoever came to Araki after he finally finishes Jojo and somehow convinces him to come up with an opportunity to re-do older parts like he's talked about in the past and bang out a plot outline like Toriyama does for DB Super. I think that would be an easier sell than 'Jojo again, but fan favorite characters get more screentime and random events get changed, now written by random anime writers!'

Of course I would only want a scenario like this when the existing jojo well has run dry.

The only thing I could think of is if David pro or whoever came to Araki after he finally finishes Jojo and somehow convinces him to come up with an opportunity to re-do older parts like he's talked about in the past and bang out a plot outline like Toriyama does for DB Super. I think that would be an easier sell than 'Jojo again, but fan favorite characters get more screentime and random events get changed, now written by random anime writers!'

Of course I would only want a scenario like this when the existing jojo well has run dry.
I'd prefer some kind of alternate reality lesbian dating sim where Yukako tries to date some of the Part 6 and Part 8 characters.

Top Bottom