• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable OT What a Beautiful Duwang

Zocano

What? Fuck you
Hayato is great, way better than Koichi at least.

I hate child characters and Hayato is irritating. Koichi is okay. This part had the same problem of having too much characters.

The Josuke/His mom/Jotaro stuff was fun though. Shoulda kept her around a bit more before she disappeared forever.

Guess Who

Banned
I hope he takes Hayato with him, fuck that kid, I want to see him explode and stay dead this time.

Hayato's a little kid that took on Yoshikage Kira and Killer Queen with no Stand to his name and still managed to outwit him. He's like the biggest badass in DiU.

Zocano

Hayato's a little kid that took on Yoshikage Kira and Killer Queen with no Stand to his name and still managed to outwit him.

This doesn't mean anything to me because he's still an annoying irritant child. Whatever feats they achieve won't phase my stance on irritant child characters.

Fun fight, Kira has made up for a really lackluster first half of this part/season and then some. It's a shame that he'll probably (definitely?) bite it but oh well, he was great while he was around. Real fun villain.

Part 1 and Part 2 still my favorite though (Part 1 has a slight edge over 2 ).

Finally someone agrees with me!

Though i find it hard to choose, actually. I go back and forth on favorite Jojos and parts a little. Part 3 is always my least favorite though. I did start to sour on Part 4 until Kira showed up.

Tizoc

I hate child characters and Hayato is irritating. Koichi is okay. This part had the same problem of having too much characters.

The Josuke/His mom/Jotaro stuff was fun though. Shoulda kept her around a bit more before she disappeared forever.

Koichi isn't a child he is as old as Josuke and Okuyasu :p

Crocodile

This doesn't mean anything to me because he's still an annoying irritant child. Whatever feats they achieve won't phase my stance on irritant child characters.

Irritating kid characters in anime (and boy are they a lot of them) tend to be annoying as shit because they are irritating and act like petulant children (which is rarely enjoyable to watch). Hayato acts like neither........ so hating on him just seems like hating for hater's sake?

Though you are the first person to say they like Part 1 more than Part 2 so I guess you just have a lot of minority opinions :p

Zocano

Finally someone agrees with me!

Though i find it hard to choose, actually. I go back and forth on favorite Jojos and parts a little. Part 3 is always my least favorite though. I did start to sour on Part 4 until Kira showed up.

Part 3 was boring shite and I've already talked in a previous thread (P3.5 thread I assume) how DIO went out like a chump and was a disappointing wrap up to a disappointing part.

Part 4 was the same shit as Part 3 until Kira showed up, yah.

I hear good things about Part 6 so I'll keep my hopes up but yeh, Part 1 was lightning in a bottle and super focused and good (and Dio is amazing). Joseph carries Part 2 in its entirety and I love it. It's a huge bummer we didn't hear his line one more time in Part 3. Woulda been the perfect thing to just have him say it one last time against DIO.

Koichi isn't a child he is as old as Josuke and Okuyasu :p

He isn't a child but he filled the same role in the show basically until he got Reverb Act 3 (and then he promptly disappeared r i p).

Irritating kid characters in anime (and boy are they a lot of them) tend to be annoying as shit because they are irritating and act like petulant children (which is rarely enjoyable to watch). Hayato acts like neither........ so hating on him just seems like hating for hater's sake?

Though you are the first person to say they like Part 1 more than Part 2 so I guess you just have a lot of minority opinions :p

I flip flop on Part 1 and 2 depending on my mood, honestly. They're so close in ranking/quality to me, but are both far and above better than 3 and 4, that's for sure. And Hayato acted exactly the right amount of irritating to me up until basically this episode where he was just crying in a corner letting Josuke do everything.

edit: But yes I'll readily and happily admit to hating Hayato for the sake of hating him. Though I feel it was mostly justified in his first couple introductory episodes.

Genryu

Banned
Joseph carries Part 2 in its entirety and I love it. It's a huge bummer we didn't hear his line one more time in Part 3. Woulda been the perfect thing to just have him say it one last time against DIO.

Joseph does use his "Your next line will be" against The Empress.

NEO0MJ

I never told this to anyone but... I used to be a children. So I don't mind Hayato much.

Parts 1 and 2 are my bottom two and hearing someone actually preferring Part 1 over...any other part is fucking baffling

Part 7 is the only part that beats 4

Tizoc

Part 2 has Vampire Fitness Sex Gods
5b4.png
Their pose game was on point so Part 2 gets a plus in that regard.

Zocano

I never told this to anyone but... I used to be a children. So I don't mind Hayato much.

Ha. ha. But I also hate myself and hate kids so double whammy there.

Parts 1 and 2 are my bottom two and hearing someone actually preferring Part 1 over...any other part is fucking baffling

I *hate* monster of the week formulas/set ups. I also am super iffy on anime in general and am pretty temperamental when it comes to what I like/don't like.

Part 1 and 2 are smaller, more focused, and generally just stuck to a few characters which make them better watches for me. I will never in my life sit down and watch Part 3 again just to enjoy it. I'll keep a ZA WARUDO sound bite around but that's about it. Part 4 I would just rewatch starting with Kira showing up basically but even then. Dio carries Part 1 and it's a shorter show that gives his character room to shine and not too much outside of it. Part 2 has a bit more fluff but Joseph is so ridiculously fun and part 2 is *all* about following Joseph as a character.

Part 1 lays the groundwork for JoJo. It's still solid even if it drags in the middle but it's nine episodes anyway. Plus watching part 1 will make you appreciate how much better part 2 is.

Hypron

If you don't like the monster of the week formula... This isn't the right series for you because after part 2 every single part is like that. Some parts are more focused with their main storyline than others... But the chapter-to-chapter action still basically boils down to "some guy with a crazy-ass stand comes out of nowhere, fights one or more of the heroes, gets his/her ass beat, rinse and repeat".

There are some variations and some unexpected things that happen, but that's essentially what the entire series boils down to.

The series works great because of how crazy and bizarre things get, how likeable the characters are, how interesting the fights can get, and basically just the sheer variety of things that happen.

zoukka

Part 2 was great. Without stands the fights aren't as 'bizarre' but in return they are really up close and personal. The wind guy pillar man was fucking epic, one of the best fights in the whole series starting from cesar and ending in the arena.

Part 2 was great. Without stands the fights aren't as 'bizarre' but in return they are really up close and personal. The wind guy pillar man was fucking epic, one of the best fights in the whole series starting from cesar and ending in the arena.
Respect best Pillar Bro Whammu by remembering his name and not stepping on his shadow!

Pinewood

I think part 2 was the most "bizarre" so far, I mean in pt3 and pt4 everything is stands, but in pt2 Joseph carried around a Tommygun and a handful of grenades because just in case.

cntr

Banned
I think part 2 was the most "bizarre" so far, I mean in pt3 and pt4 everything is stands, but in pt2 Joseph carried around a Tommygun and a handful of grenades because just in case.
Remember when Jotaro stuffed his clothes with books, including his hat?

Well wouldn't you if you had JRPG pockets like Joseph did? Part 2 had a cyborg Nazi and 16 Nazi's getting hand stitched together and being sucked dry simultaneously into flaccid...goo by an ancient Mayan vampire dude. Only for his comrades to posesplode out of a fucking concrete wall.

cntr

Banned
Oh yeah, Joseph pulling objects out of his ass was a running joke in the manga which David Pro cut. Like at one point he pulls out an entire coat rack from behind himself.

cntr

Banned
Araki's comments on DiU stands:

CRAZY DIAMOND
A stand that has the ultimate kindness. Star Platinum is kind of blackish, so I gave this one a contrasting color scheme. Josuke has an out-of-date appearance, but he keeps it that way on purpose.

AQUA NECKLACE
I imagined a deviant lurking in the town. This one's another slime-type. The stand's design comes from ritual dolls and Jomon-era clay figures. I researched various sources to make it.

THE HAND
It's really strong, with no limit to its powers. If Okuyasu were smart, he'd be unstoppable (laughs). He's impusive and only sees what's right in front of him, so there are blinkers like you see on a racehorse to block the sides of its eyes and give it a narrow range of vision.

BAD COMPANY
I think the idea for this came from G.I. Joe action figures and the like. Anyway, I wanted to make a stand unlike any other I'd done before. So, this stand is an entire army that emerges from a single soul.

THE LOCK
A suspense story where you're trapped by a psychological attack, in Stand form. This extortion ability puts a lock on your heart. I gradually shrunk the host down so it would be easier to have him interact with Koichi.

ECHOES ACT 1
At first, I gave made it look like an alien larva. Then, it would gradually grow to adulthood. Anyway, I wanted to draw Koichi's growth, so I designed it knowing it would change forms.

SURFACE
Did I ever have one of these dolls on hand? If anything, I was more interested in drawing how tricky its host was. Judging by the screw on its forehead, it might have been based off of the copy robot in Perman.

LOVE DELUXE
A horror that's close to you in your daily life. Like Misery, maybe? In shojo comics in the 80s, girls were objects to be longed for, but from the 90s on, there were more stories with strong girls in lead roles.

ECHOES ACT 2
In its second stage, it's grown from a larva to a child. It's hands and feet are like... a raccoon, right? A standing raccoon.

PEARL JAM
It's a cooking stand, so I gave it a somewhat crazy appearance based off of tomatoes and Italian vegetables. The idea was, how can I create suspense using cooking as the theme?

RED HOT CHILI PEPPER
When I saw the dinosaur with a strong headbutt from Kyoryu Daikiko, I thought, I like this guy! Also, the way he's strong despite being small might have been influenced by Frieza from Dragonball.

ACHTUNG BABY
I made this one to draw a story about Joseph and Josuke, and that's all there is to this Stand. It's a Stand that turns things invisible, so is its physical form invisible as well, or does it just not have one?

HEAVEN'S DOOR
It's an ability that turns people into books, so I figured it didn't need a physical form of its own. For the characters that appear in Part 4, I tried to depict only their interactions with Josuke, without clearly defining whether they were allies or enemies, good or evil.

RATT
An idea I came up with because I wanted to draw the suspense of hunting rats. I just wanted to make it look like a tool. It's a bit of a fusion between a retro cannon and bones, to give it a creepy feeling.

HARVEST
Its design is a worker bee. If you look at its back, there's an abdomen. You've had those times when you're collecting coupons, and you wish you had just one more, right? I combined that with the image of bees collecting honey.

KILLER QUEEN
A cat and a skull... It's a simple design, but I really like it. The design of the gloves and belt are nice, too. When you consider a bomb-based ability, you can do just about anything, so it was tough to work with.

CINDERELLA
Around this time, everyone was talking about beauty shops and cosmetic surgery, so I thought I'd add an aesthetician. The appearance is a feminine silhouette plus beauty shop tools or a dentist.

SHEER HEART ATTACK
Based off of Killer Queen's face, while giving off an aura like nothing in the world can break it... so, it's a tank. The dagger on its forehead represents an assassin, maybe?

ECHOES ACT 3
It's got its own personality, so it's like a friend... It's the image of Koichi made into a stand. I thought, if you can turn sound into a physical object, you can do that with gravity, too.

ATOM HEART FATHER
The Stand's name comes from the Pink Floyd album Atom Heart Mother. The idea came to me because I thought it would be cool to have a cursed or haunted photo as a Stand.

BOY II MAN
I envisioned a guardian spirit protecting a young boy. The design might have come from the robots from Mr. Mitsuteru Yokoyama's manga or something like that. That's why it's got the rows of rivets and the mask over its mouth, and stuff.

EARTH WIND AND FIRE
I wanted to draw the character of Mikitaka Hasekura. He's a self-styled "space alien", but it's a mystery whether he's that, or a Stand user! Within the worldview of Jojo, aliens are just barely acceptable.

HIGHWAY STAR
A tracking stand. The way it splits up like a daruma otoshi toy leaves an impression on you, doesn't it? Did I have a thing for net patterns back then? It looks like a 3-D object, even though it's a flat image!

STRAY CAT
When I was a kid, my grandpa had a cat named Chako. We doted on it, but I rememeber once it hurt me when I ignored it... I've never trusted cats ever since (laughs).

SUPERFLY
When I was a kid, there were these, well, free spirits around. They would live in caves, turn abandoned cars into their personal homes, and stuff. For a moment, that sort of survival lifestyle might seem fun (laughs).

ENIGMA
The effects that appear when things turn flat is based off of Maurits Escher's art. Drawing his attacks was tough... I had to make sure the drawings joined up with each other just right.

CHEAP TRICK
The motif is a piggyback monster. That, plus a touch of horror where you can't turn around. It's more of a supernatural creature than a Stand. Its host is just a pitiable man...

KILLER QUEEN BITES THE DUST
I didn't want to make a Stand that could do anything, so by splitting its abilities up like this, I added a limitation of sorts.

Neoxon

Just curious, didn't Viz Media say that they're gonna release the Blu-Rays for JoJo in parts over in the West rather than seasons?

Hey guys, sorry to spoil DiU for you, but here's the completely-100%-real-totally-not-fake-I-mean-look-at-it ending to DiU, from Araki's rough sketches.

EDIT: Maybe I should have waited until after friday to post this.

Top Bottom