• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable OT What a Beautiful Duwang

Neoxon

Joseph's literally wearing an Indiana Jones outfit. Hermit Purple is a vine whip.

Therefore, that must've been the direction Araki was intending to take Joseph, but for whatever reason, it didn't happen.
They kinda did in small bits throughout the series, like when Joseph swung around Egypt like he was Spider-Man getting away from Dio.

I support this ship as well.
tumblr_mwrq1lwb5z1slgqyyo1_500.jpg

a9a.jpg

14134875_175083899567505_705313221_n.jpg

2a5.png

cntr

Banned
Battle Tendency is great fun, yeah, but Diamond is Unbreakable is where Araki really starts experimenting with stands and parts.

And like, as fun as they are, you can group together the first three parts as conventional battle shounen. But then you get to DiU, which is the shounen version of Twin Peaks. All parts vary wildly in tone and setting after DiU, and that variation is a key part of what makes the series "Jojo" for me.

Battle Tendency is great fun, yeah, but Diamond is Unbreakable is where Araki really starts experimenting with stands and parts.

And like, as fun as they are, you can group together the first three parts as conventional battle shounen. But then you get to DiU, which is the shounen version of Twin Peaks. All parts vary wildly in tone and setting after DiU, and that variation is what makes the series "Jojo" for me.

Love them all up to 8 but diu was when the word bizzare from the title began to make more of an appearance. Have to give props for araki to reset each part with a new lead and to stick with that approach. Diu is second only to steel ball run.

Interestingly enough, I'm planning on making a "Keeping up with the Kawajiris"-style fanfic. It's called "1999 Bizarre Summer Job", and its based off a reply I saw on the r/StardustCrusaders subreddit. In it, Josuke, once again short on money, is forced to get a summer job so he can get some much needed cash. He ends up finding employment at one of the many offices near Morioh, and ends up working under one of the place's long time employees, Kosaku Kawajiri.

Hijinks ensue.

Madao

i could have seen a lot of this actually happening if Part 4 had got its anime when it was running and they saw the need to add filler to not catch up with the manga.

Just imagine filler character and stand designs in general trying to emulate the JoJo style and noticeably missing the mark.

Then imagine it done by the studio that design the characters and plots for Naruto filler to REALLY scare ya.

VariantX

With Hamon, Hermit Purple is actually decent for combat (hell, Hamon-infused Hermit Purple is the only reason why Joseph lasted as long as he did against Dio). The problem is that Joseph's been slacking on his Hamon training.

Y'know thinking about it, even though Hamon isn't all that important to the story anymore since stands took over, what became of Hamon itself? Any remaining practitioners or successors to the art? I imagine there's no real use for it as a combat art as theres probably not going to be anymore stone mask vampires and certainly no more pillarmen as long as Santana is stuck under UV light and Kars floating out in space somewhere brain dead.

cntr

Banned
Straizo killed the entire monastery at the beginning of Battle Tendency. Assuming Lisa Lisa died and didn't try to get new students, Joseph's the last user of hamon in existence.

NeonZ

Y'know thinking about it, even though Hamon isn't all that important to the story anymore since stands took over, what became of Hamon itself? Any remaining practitioners or successors to the art? I imagine there's no real use for it as a combat art as theres probably not going to be anymore stone mask vampires and certainly no more pillarmen as long as Santana is stuck under UV light and Kars floating out in space somewhere brain dead.

Hamon is very powerful against normal humans too, although Part 3 wanted to make everyone forget that since aside from a single time it only was brought up when vampires were involved. There's also the side utilities, like water surface tension control and hardening objects.

Straizo killed the entire monastery at the beginning of Battle Tendency. Assuming Lisa Lisa died and didn't try to get new students, Joseph's the last user of hamon in existence.
Weren't there nameless people in the monastery aside from Lisa Lisa, Loggins and Messina when Joseph goes there? I don't think anything is ever said about them being the last hamon users.

Madao

Just imagine filler character and stand designs in general trying to emulate the JoJo style and noticeably missing the mark.

Then imagine it done by the studio that design the characters and plots for Naruto filler to REALLY scare ya.

in the 90s there were some animes with good filler (couldn't tell it apart from the manga material and both were good) so maybe Jojo could have been lucky.
in the 00s not so much.

BHK3

Banned
Pretty disappointing all of Part 4. Every episode was its own contained story with leads that never went anywhere in the grand scheme of things, animation was also disappointing after watching Mob Psycho 100 yet JoJo being the much bigger series. I'll watch a bit of part 5 but if it continues this trend of having 10 episodes of story and 30 episodes of characters doing nonsense then I'm out. Part 3 wasn't as bad since their main goal was to get to Egypt and nothing else, though that did start the trend of nonexistent character development. RIP Jojo for me :/

LotusHD

Banned
Pretty disappointing all of Part 4. Every episode was its own contained story with leads that never went anywhere in the grand scheme of things, animation was also disappointing after watching Mob Psycho 100 yet JoJo being the much bigger series. I'll watch a bit of part 5 but if it continues this trend of having 10 episodes of story and 30 episodes of characters doing nonsense then I'm out. Part 3 wasn't as bad since their main goal was to get to Egypt and nothing else, though that did start the trend of nonexistent character development. RIP Jojo for me :/

Some stuff did go places though :(

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique

Eh I kind of get the animation thing, JoJo has always been more a motion comic than an animation for me. It just that the bits of animation has gotten a lot better progressively. You might like Part 5 a bit more? The goal isn't as "clear" as SDC (at least not immediately, but it happens a lot quicker than part 4) but it does have a more SDC feel to how engagements go, so you might like it better?

So, you're going to complain about character development episodes and say they suck then complain that there's no character development. What?
Hayato
Okuyasu
Josuke
Joseph
Koichi
Rohan
Whatever Koichi's girlfriends name is

They all had some character development no matter how large or how little

Nearly every story thread played into something else later, though some didn't and that's fine.

The first 20 episodes are definitely less story heavy, but they're important and the last 20 are pretty much all story so I'm not sure where you got the 30 episodes of filler or whatever.

I can understand your frustration with the fact that if isn't immediately clear, but it's just a different type of story than SDC, it's a small and contained incident.

"Animation was also disappointing after watching Mob Psycho 100."

Mob Psycho 100 is probably in the top 1% of all TV anime ranked by overall quality of animation. Meanwhile Diamond is Unbreakable, even if it had rough episodes, is easily the best animated, best looking Jojo TV season overall. I don't think the quality of Mob should be used against DiU.

I've been forced to use this image so much it might as well be my tag.
c76.jpg

Yonafunu

What was this "grand scheme of things", exactly?

Also, comparing Jojo to Mob Psycho 100 is insane. Mob Psycho is an anomaly in tv animation, everything is diappointing compared to that.

LotusHD

Banned
Oh shit, that's been fake all this time? Damn, that sucks, dunno how I never noticed that, despite both watching and reading this lol

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
What's a "grand scheme of things"?

You mean, like, Wikipedia summaries?

a22.gif

Jojo clearly isn't for everybody.

Erigu

As much as I like Part 4, I'm getting pretty tired of seeing some of those responses to criticism. For fuck's sake, you don't have to so condescendingly dismissive when somebody explains why they don't like something. Explain why you disagree and spare us the "funny" GIFs and memes.

As much as I like Part 4, I'm getting pretty tired of seeing some of those responses to criticism. For fuck's sake, you don't have to so condescendingly dismissive when somebody explains why they don't like something. Explain why you disagree and spare us the "funny" GIFs and memes.
I mean, at the end of the day if somebody doesn't like something, they don't like something, and while myself and others have already posted our statements in disagreement, we're likely not going to change their mind nor do I think any other argument would either.
And that's okay.

Erigu

I mean, at the end of the day if somebody doesn't like something, they don't like something, and while myself and others have already posted our statements in disagreement, we're likely not going to change their mind nor do I think any other argument would either.
If you truly think that (I think that's a pretty sad outlook, personally), why reply at all?
(not that I was thinking of your response when I said that... you explained why you disagreed, which is perfectly fine)

Betty

Banned
Man the manga is going to take ages to be released in the west. Part 3's volumes are only just being released with volume 2 not releasing until February and volume 3 not releasing until May!

There's 10 volumes for part 3

So at the current rate this is the schedule

Vol 2 February

Vol 3 May

Vol 4 August

Vol 5 November

Vol 6 February 2018

Vol 7 May 2018

Vol 8 August 2018

Vol 9 November 2018

Vol 10 February 2019

That's insane! We'll be getting teases of part 6 in the anime before we even start getting part 4 released as manga

I'm not going to try to change a persons mind cause it's fucking impossible so I'm not going to eat up 4 days worth of my time trying to have a thought out debate about it. How many "Dis shit's filler" arguments have we had on here? A ton. It's just a revolving circle. I'm at the point where I think either a person "gets" Jojo or they don't. And if they don't they should just stop watching it. I think Jojo is some fun as shit and yeah I've got my criticisms with it and I will ask questions, but I do it to have actual discussions about the how and why of what the fuck happened. I'm dismissive with SDC, but I'm still very open to a marathon watch of it. The responses of "If it continues like this I'm out" are actually disrespectful to the property in my view and begs the question of what brought you to the series to begin with. Jojo is some shonen ass shit, but at the very same time I think it's very far from your typical shonen series.

LotusHD

Banned

I thought them being dismissive was largely due to the guy saying gems like "30 episodes of characters doing nonsense" or say that there was "nonexistent character development", and pretty said the entire anime disappointed him. I dunno about them, but I read critiques like that that come as them watching a completely different show, it's a lot harder to take it seriously and make you not even want to bother getting into an argument. I myself won't post GIFs (unless the critique in question is truly ridiculous, then maybe ;D), but I do tend to not feel like giving a substantive reply, assuming I reply at all. But you're right nonetheless to an extent.

Anyways, all I can say is said "nonsense" serves the plot later on, such as the Cinderella episode providing a future escape route for Kira for example. Or the silly episode where we meet Shigechi, a character that became the driving force for getting our protagonists to go hunt down the town's serial killer.

If you truly think that (I think that's a pretty sad outlook, personally), why reply at all?
I don't see why it's sad, it's just reality. People have opinions, opinions are subjective and we can go back and forth all day, but at the end of the day you're just arguing over something you enjoy that someone else doesn't, people are different and people don't have to enjoy what you enjoy and visa versa. Spending large amounts of time arguing over it would be us trying to get them to enjoy something that they don't. They saw it and decided for themselves that it wasn't for them and really that's fine. We have no reason to hold them down and force them to like this thing we like.

Us that enjoy the series will go on enjoying it and those that don't will go on to find something else they do enjoy, everyone's happy. It's really not that big of a deal.

I replied because I feel that the user had some misconceptions about DiU and I personally disagree d with their assessment of the content. What the content is and what it includes inst really subjective and thus we can discuss what it does and doesn't do. But at the end of the day, while this might make the user see it differently, that doesn't necessarily mean that they'll enjoy it anymore than they do currently, and like I said: there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Edit: I see you stealth edited but I'm going to leave this up just cause.

I thought them being dismissive was largely due to the guy saying gems like "30 episodes of characters doing nonsense" or say that there was "nonexistent character development", and pretty said the entire anime disappointed him. I dunno about them, but I read critiques like that that come as them watching a completely different show, it's a lot harder to take it seriously and make you not even want to bother getting into an argument. I myself won't post GIFs (unless the critique in question is truly ridiculous, then maybe ;D), but I do tend to not feel like giving a substantive reply, assuming I reply at all. But you're right nonetheless to an extent.

Anyways, all I can say is said "nonsense" serves the plot later on, such as the Cinderella episode providing a future escape route for Kira for example. Or the silly episode where we meet Shigechi, a character that became the driving force for getting our protagonists to go hunt down the town's serial killer.
I think my biggest gripe is with people breaking DiU's balls over it actually trying to have fun with it's characters. So fucking what not every episode is them trying to not die, how else are you going to actually care about the characters unless you actually see them live their life. Koichi walks his dog, does his homework, gets tutored, learns to man up, falls in love with a woman he didn't even think he'd like cause she's scary on the outside, but that woman's sweet and well prepared. Probably helped him plan out some stuff for Kira and what not. The characters actually being characters and not cardboard cutouts adds a lot of charm to DiU and I found it to be my favorite part of the show outside of random bullshit stand shenanigans. Best part was they didn't always rely on the Jojo to save the day and they even stuck around after their intro eps. DiU actually had a fun cast. Even Shigechi grew on me, especially during the rewatch.
tumblr_obgaemMhyy1s75z9eo1_500.gif

Erigu

I don't see why it's sad, it's just reality. People have opinions, opinions are subjective and we can go back and forth all day, but at the end of the day you're just arguing over something you enjoy that someone else doesn't, people are different and people don't have to enjoy what you enjoy and visa versa. Spending large amounts of time arguing over it would be us trying to get them to enjoy something that they don't. They saw it and decided for themselves that it wasn't for them and really that's fine. We have no reason to hold them down and force them to like this thing we like.
It's not about forcing people to like something. I strongly disagree with the notion that opinions can't change and arguments don't matter.

Top Bottom