• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable OT What a Beautiful Duwang

LotusHD

Banned
I think my biggest gripe is with people breaking DiU's balls over it actually trying to have fun with it's characters. So fucking what not every episode is them trying to not die, how else are you going to actually care about the characters unless you actually see them live their life. Koichi walks his dog, does his homework, gets tutored, learns to man up, falls in love with a woman he didn't even think he'd like cause she's scary on the outside, but that woman's sweet and well prepared. Probably helped him plan out some stuff for Kira and what not. The characters actually being characters and not cardboard cutouts adds a lot of charm to DiU and I found it to be my favorite part of the show outside of random bullshit stand shenanigans. Best part was they didn't always rely on the Jojo to save the day and they even stuck around after their intro eps. DiU actually had a fun cast. Even Shigechi grew on me, especially during the rewatch.
tumblr_obgaemMhyy1s75z9eo1_500.gif

Agreed. I liked the "filler" moments a lot. Hell, it's basically why I love Jojo in general, because the mundane shit they do from time to time can get just as bizarre.

It's not about forcing people to like something. I strongly disagree with the notion that opinions can't change and arguments don't matter.

Opinions can change. And arguments do matter.

But like, at the end of the day, this is just an anime we like. I certainly wouldn't fault someone if they don't feel like debating/arguing every single time, or at all. (But with that in mind, they should take care not to be the type of person that solely posts snarky responses or w/e in response to critique) Sometimes people outright hate the shows I love, and sometimes I argue back. But other times it's just not worth the effort, or maybe I have to be comfortable with the thought of dropping an argument after it's been going on too long.

Additionally, generally speaking, arguments don't always have to have a victor, where it's like, you must get this dude to agree with your viewpoints, to change their opinion. Sometimes just letting them see where you're coming from is good enough. Or sometimes you just need to let it go.

It's not about forcing people to like something. I strongly disagree with the notion that opinions can't change and arguments don't matter.
It's not that arguments don't matter, it depends on the subject of said argument.

When was the last time your level of personal enjoyment out of a subjective piece of material was ever changed by someone else's opposite opinion? Probably not often if ever and i know that this is how it is for most people.

I've never stopped liking a band because others thought they were bad, I've never started liking an album because others thought it was good. My changes in opinion come from my personal experiences with said thing, not because someone else told me to like it and thus I don't see the reason in arguing over a subjective piece of material in an effort to sway someone else's personal feelings. Because at the end of the day, any changes in their opinion will come from them not us.

We can convince them that their outlook on the subject matter is perhaps blurred or incorrect. But we can't make them like it any more than they already do (or don't in this case)

You can't really argue feelings or emotions on subjective material with someone because your mileage may vary with the subject matter. Because again, people like different things for different reasons.

At most we could maybe get the user to go back and rewatch it at some point with a different understanding. But no one's argument here is going to make them go 'Wow, yeah! You guys are right, I really DO like it!' which is why I don't see the point outside of saying that we disagree with their assessment of the material and this is why.

But that's really all I have to say on the matter as I've gotta get back to my Berserk :p

I feel like they're not going to be able to top Kira as far as villains are concerned.
I think yesterday I read an interview that Araki had regarding Kira and it really showed me how much though Araki put into Kira. Granted it did kind of confirm he didn't even have a big bad in mind for Part 4 while writing it, but Araki really did put in some thought regarding what to reveal and not to reveal. Araki did not really want the read sympathizing with him too much, but put in some crumbs here and there as well. I think it's from 2002 though, but Araki really likes Kira, even more than Dio.

Matsukaze

I feel like they're not going to be able to top Kira as far as villains are concerned.
Kira is my favorite villain in the entire series, so technically I agree with this sentiment, but I must say that the road ahead is still golden. My second and third favorite antagonists in the series have yet to make their appearances but they are both excellent characters who give Kira a run for his money, IMO.

FWIW, the villains of Parts 5 and onwards are all memorable and as diverse in personality and power as Dio, Kars, and Kira are.

Erigu

I certainly wouldn't fault someone if they don't feel like debating/arguing every single time, or at all. (But with that in mind, they should take care not to be the type of person that solely posts snarky responses or w/e in response to critique)
I believe we're in complete agreement, there.

Agreed. I liked the "filler" moments a lot. Hell, it's basically why I love Jojo in general, because the mundane shit they do from time to time can get just as bizarre.
I'm probably the only person on here that really likes Yukako's episodes. Really made me like Yukako a lot too, same with Koichi. I thought they had a really fun stand fight and I loved how it didn't end in bloodshed. It changed her...a bit, but it didn't completely deflate her personality either. She's still vulgar as all hell in the inside when pushed far enough, but I think she gained a greater scope on how to act. Dat woman could cook too.
I'm an asshole so at some point I gotta be a snarky fucker.

LotusHD

Banned

Cool.

I'm probably the only person on here that really likes Yukako's episodes. Really made me like Yukako a lot too, same with Koichi. I thought they had a really fun stand fight and I loved how it didn't end in bloodshed. It changed her...a bit, but it didn't completely deflate her personality either. She's still vulgar as all hell in the inside when pushed far enough, but I think she gained a greater scope on how to act. Dat woman could cook too.

I'm not like super in love with her episode specifically, but I've always been a sucker for enemies/antagonists that become your friend/frenemy afterwards, because they tend to be a delight if they weren't already. Jojo does this often, and I love it all the more for it.

Matsukaze

Trust me, you are not alone in this.

I'm not like super in love with her episode specifically, but I've always been a sucker for enemies/antagonists that become your friend/frenemy afterwards, because they tend to be a delight if they weren't already. Jojo does this often, and I love it all the more for it.
Yukako isn't a Rohan, but I liked her enough to want to get more of her. She's also greatly helped by her VA. The actress goes from sweet to downright menacing really damn well so I found her fun. I would've liked to see more of her, she seems to be fairly popular though since people like cosplaying as her.
Trust me, you are not alone in this.
Thank god. Woman has serious creepy stalker/bring her home to mom schwag.

Style

Banned
Why is it so hard to get a legitimate copy and translation of the Part 4 and upwards manga. o|-<

Italy is already getting Jojolion, why can't the English translations progress faster, especially since it's a bigger market. I really want to re-read Part 5, but my only options are: a translation that is halfway done or a shoddy translation.

As much as I like Part 4, I'm getting pretty tired of seeing some of those responses to criticism. For fuck's sake, you don't have to so condescendingly dismissive when somebody explains why they don't like something. Explain why you disagree and spare us the "funny" GIFs and memes.

I'm going to have to agree with you here, most of the time if you criticise Part 4 you'll just be met with drive by replies and other posters reinforcing each other.

I'll repeat it for the billionth time: Stardust Crusaders and Diamond Is Unbreakable is like apples and oranges, they both follow a completely different format. One is a long story about a journey and the other is a series of one shots tied together by a overarching plot line. One is Lord Of The Stands: Fellowship of Jotaro's Mom and the other is Seinfeld with stands. This doesn't mean DIU is immune to criticism because there is valid criticism over things it does wrong. I absolutely adore DIU, but there's so many people (and this is including from before the adaptation of Part 4) that gloss over the flaws because the characters grow so much on you.

Regarding the "filler" debate; DIU has no filler, every arc plays in to the over all part. What DIU does have though is pacing that is hurt by its "story of the week/month" format. People in here seem to forget that David Productions even had to rearrange the arcs to fix the pacing.

- They moved the Cinderella arc from in between Shigechi's death and the fight at the tailor/Kira's first confrontation to happen earlier so it didn't interrupt the flow.
- They mashed Super Fly, Enigma and Cheap Trick in to one 4-part arc instead of originally having each as a separate arc (spanning a whopping 18 chapters in the manga).

Personally these rearrangements fixed my complaints about the pacing, but that doesn't mean that I can't see where people are coming from with their opinions on it.

I have a feeling that most of the people that dislike DIU will get to love Part 5. It returns back to a focused storyline and is more about action.

cntr

Banned
Why is it so hard to get a legitimate copy and translation of the Part 4 and upwards manga. o|-<

Italy is already getting Jojolion, why can't the English translations progress faster, especially since it's a bigger market.
Jojo got popular in Italy and France a lot earlier, so it's not surprising. Helps that they're more chill with comics than English speakers were until recently, heh.

Neoxon

I don't know why, but this got to me.

JE7tuRT.gif

Jotaro's always been a guy who cares more about others than he leads us to believe publicly
(Part 6 included)
, & this shows it.

Zocano

I'm not going to try to change a persons mind cause it's fucking impossible so I'm not going to eat up 4 days worth of my time trying to have a thought out debate about it. How many "Dis shit's filler" arguments have we had on here? A ton. It's just a revolving circle. I'm at the point where I think either a person "gets" Jojo or they don't. And if they don't they should just stop watching it. I think Jojo is some fun as shit and yeah I've got my criticisms with it and I will ask questions, but I do it to have actual discussions about the how and why of what the fuck happened. I'm dismissive with SDC, but I'm still very open to a marathon watch of it. The responses of "If it continues like this I'm out" are actually disrespectful to the property in my view and begs the question of what brought you to the series to begin with. Jojo is some shonen ass shit, but at the very same time I think it's very far from your typical shonen series.

I mean this is why I will just hold to saying Part 1 and 2 are my favorite. I didn't read Jojo, I was introduced via the anime and unlike some people that started with Stardust Crusaders OVA (or just suggested to jump in at part 3 anime), Part 1 and 2 is how I first saw Jojo and then watched it turn into just something I don't care about. That's why Part 3 and 4 (especially the former considering I had high hopes with DIO) just end up being so disappointing to me.

It turned into a different show and it's as simple as that. I still enjoy it enough to poke in (and Kira reinvigorated my desire to keep up with Part 4). I hear good things about Part 6 and I'm fine with watching Part 5, too.

Slice of life is fine but Jojo didn't start as that and that set my perspective going into Stardust Crusaders and Diamond is Unbreakable. And Shonen can have a good pace without feeling like it has filler and also having really fleshed out characters.

It's why FMA (and Brotherhood) are still probably my favorite anime.

Mista Koo

"JoJo Pose January", take a picture doing a JoJo pose in January.
I cosplayed Street Fighter V's Rashid once. During the costume presentation/act I ran out of Rashid poses to do and just started cycling through the Jojo ones I know.

As much as I like Part 4, I'm getting pretty tired of seeing some of those responses to criticism. For fuck's sake, you don't have to so condescendingly dismissive when somebody explains why they don't like something. Explain why you disagree and spare us the "funny" GIFs and memes.
Some people just can't accept the suggestion that their favorite thing isn't perfect. I'm pretty sure that some would be angry when someone casually states the fact that Jojo is style over substance.

cntr

Banned
It's one thing to dislike a series, it's another to be an asshole while doing it. Don't be surprised if people act nasty back.

I mean this is why I will just hold to saying Part 1 and 2 are my favorite. I didn't read Jojo, I was introduced via the anime and unlike some people that started with Stardust Crusaders OVA (or just suggested to jump in at part 3 anime), Part 1 and 2 is how I first saw Jojo and then watched it turn into just something I don't care about. That's why Part 3 and 4 (especially the former considering I had high hopes with DIO) just end up being so disappointing to me.

It turned into a different show and it's as simple as that. I still enjoy it enough to poke in (and Kira reinvigorated my desire to keep up with Part 4). I hear good things about Part 6 and I'm fine with watching Part 5, too.

Slice of life is fine but Jojo didn't start as that and that set my perspective going into Stardust Crusaders and Diamond is Unbreakable. And Shonen can have a good pace without feeling like it has filler and also having really fleshed out characters.

I started with the anime and watched it transition to what it's becoming now as well and I loved Parts 1 & 2, not so much Part 3, but I'm open to a rewatch and love Part 4. I think it just started shifting when Araki got more used to writing his own types of stories. I think it's very obvious DiU is a story that's more about what Araki wanted to do since it's not really heavily tied to the previous parts too much.

I actually like that it went slice of life cause it gave us a chance to just hang with the characters. That's supposedly what people liked about SDC, but I just had a hard time buying that they bonded. I'm not sure if it's because of how Jotaro was written, but they barely came off as friends to me, which is the exact opposite of the Duwang Gang. Even during the fights you could tell those guys were friends, they just had a dynamic that had a lot of life breathed into it. Now if Jojo was just this...I don't think I'd mind...though yeah I guess you do have to switch it up as well, which is why Togashi never just kept writing one single situation for YYH or HxH. I just guess some style changes bother some readers more than others. I honestly think DiU is when Araki got a way better grasp on stands with SDC being them at the literal prototype phase which is why the further into that part you get you have more elaborate one.

I guess in short I'm liking the evolution of Jojo. It could've went Naruto, but it didn't and I applaud it for that...even though Jojo predates Naruto by decades.

I'm an asshole so at some point I gotta be a snarky fucker.
I believe alot of Yukkako's craziness comes from her having a stand as they exemplify qualities one already has. Yukkako helps Koichi to be the best man he can be, and always supports him, and Koichi helps cool down her temper and makes Yukkako a better person. As long as their together, they will be a happy couple.
If koichi even thinks about cheating or leaving her, him and he is getting buried in a unmarked grave somewhere in Morioh.

I believe alot of Yukkako's craziness comes from her having a stand as they exemplify qualities one already has. Yukkako helps Koichi to be the best man he can be, and always supports him, and Koichi helps cool down her temper and makes Yukkako a better person. As long as their together, they will be a happy couple.
If koichi even thinks about cheating or leaving her, him and he is getting buried in a unmarked grave somewhere in Morioh.
He'd probably be buried right next to Angelo. That's the great thing about DiU. You can see that everybody brought out the best in each other. Rohan was a fucking dick till he met the Duwang Gang. He stayed a dick but you occasionally saw the good parts in his personality.

ElFly

He'd probably be buried right next to Angelo. That's the great thing about DiU. You can see that everybody brought out the best in each other. Rohan was a fucking dick till he met the Duwang Gang. He stayed a dick but you occasionally saw the good parts in his personality.

it's crazy what getting your house set aflame can do to a person

petran79

Banned

You did well not to read Jojo 1 and 2. Designs are awful. I dont say that because they were 80s. Araki's design improvement over the decades is amazing indeed. Havent seen any other manga with such a noteworthy change. From part 3 onwards, manga becomes a joy to read.

TV series does the first 2 manga arcs a great service. I felt I watched a completely new Jojo. I was expecting the TV series of the first manga to be awful as well but it proved the opposite.

Problems appear with part 3. TV series is far too long but the more apparent problem was with the pacing and limited animation budget. Something the 1993 OVA did quite well and to a less extent the 2000 OVA too. Part 1 and 2 had much better animation.

Part 4 and afterwards Jojo changes for the better in my opinion. It is not just about fights, blood and muscles. Now we get better characterizations too, female characters including. Every Stand user has his/her own personality and most of the time their Stand does reflect that. It is less about fights and more about supernatural adventure, tactics and thriller (part 6). Have yet to read part 8. I'll wait till its completed.

it's crazy what getting your house set aflame can do to a person
Not to mention chopping off his own pinky. Funny enough Rohan was in the right since that shit bag Josuke was a cheater, probably the same thing Joseph would do.
A discussion Araki gave about Kira back in 2004. Has a minor spoiler about Part 5 on page 6, but just gloss over that
I read this two days ago, great read. I liked how Araki wanted to go more into detail with Kira, but held back because he didn't want to ruin him as a villain cause he'd end up being liked too much. Does make me wonder what his mother was like though.

Man the manga is going to take ages to be released in the west. Part 3's volumes are only just being released with volume 2 not releasing until February and volume 3 not releasing until May!

There's 10 volumes for part 3

So at the current rate this is the schedule

Vol 2 February
<snip>
Vol 10 February 2019

That's insane! We'll be getting teases of part 6 in the anime before we even start getting part 4 released as manga

This is disgusting. That current rate means I'll probably be geriatric before they're even up to 2015? with the manga. What a joke.

Let me just say, regarding artstyle, the early part 4 manga looked pretty ugly to me because it was like the SDC look but Araki was already starting to transition away from it. Was weird seeing buff manly man Josuke compared to the manga ending with his fab posing.

Madao

when i started watching Jojo, i actually started because of the Stands. i wanted to see what kind of crazy power it was since i had heard about them from various places and even had seen references in other Anime (in Gintama the main character often jokes about how he'd like to have a special power like a Bankai or a Stand)

so, when i saw the first anime, it was pretty weird and unexpected but the bizarreness still hooked me up since part 1.

Well that was an hour of my life.
Q2heUxD.gif

lol. a thesis doesn't write itself. it contains all his love and energy (now you see why he never improved his time stop)

cntr

Banned
Part 4's OPs are full of subtle details too. They're just even more subtle.

Plus there's that whole thing with Great Days in reverse.

Pretty disappointing all of Part 4. Every episode was its own contained story with leads that never went anywhere in the grand scheme of things, animation was also disappointing after watching Mob Psycho 100 yet JoJo being the much bigger series. I'll watch a bit of part 5 but if it continues this trend of having 10 episodes of story and 30 episodes of characters doing nonsense then I'm out. Part 3 wasn't as bad since their main goal was to get to Egypt and nothing else, though that did start the trend of nonexistent character development. RIP Jojo for me :/

I sort of know what you mean; Part 4 is more "episodic" than previous parts
Dont worry though, Part 5 is definitely goal-oriented

Astral

After checking out these two vids, I miss the CGI opening of previous seasons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ox5wWOgYTzs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55MMEXVnPBo

So much awesome detail jam-packed in there. None of Part 4's OPs really did it for me, music aside (p.s. crazy noisy bizarre town is best song).

I absolutely did not like getting spoiled with Caesar's death though, that shit was obvious even to a non-reader like me.

I actually never put two and two together until like episode 17 where I realized Caesar wears a headband.

Top Bottom