• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable OT What a Beautiful Duwang

Blues1990

He loves animals. So people who hurt animals are the worst kind of villains.

I remember reading an old interview that the reason why Iggy was molded after a Boston Terrier, is that breed is Araki's favourite.

The man has good taste in dog breeds, as terrier's and French Bulldogs are two of my favourites.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I do think he likes violence against women a bit too much---yeah tons of random males get brutally tortured but there always seems to be a weird sexualized component when it comes to female NPCs.

He loves animals. So people who hurt animals are the worst kind of villains.

I mean, I can understand that, but sometimes those scenes are almost framed comedically. Probably not Araki's intention though.

I do think he likes violence against women a bit too much---yeah tons of random males get brutally tortured but there always seems to be a weird sexualized component when it comes to female NPCs.

Examples? The violence in the series is disproportionately aimed at men since that's what most of the characters are on both the allies and villains sides (part 6 being the exception).

I can think of J Geil and the fact he raped and murdered Polnareff's sister, but that happened in a minimally animated flashback that didn't have details, which is no different than Angelo's backstory which had male rape. Other than that, there's the magnet lady I guess? I mean, she was a seductress and there was nothing sexual about the violence committed against her.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
The big one that comes to mind is the orangutan going after Runaway Girl (and the anime made this creepier), and a few examples from later parts.

cntr

Banned
Araki was a bit of a sexist when it came to writing women, it was his regret over that led him to write Jolyne.

Permanently A

Araki was a bit of a sexist when it came to writing women, it was his regret over that led him to write Jolyne.

Didn't he want to make Lisa Lisa have a more integral role and was told by corporate not to? I mean when it comes to rumors about Araki I don't know what's true and what people just make up for a laugh. The only thing I'm sure about is that he's immortal.

cntr

Banned
Didn't he want to make Lisa Lisa have a more integral role and was told by corporate not to? I mean when it comes to rumors about Araki I don't know what's true and what people just make up for a laugh. The only thing I'm sure about is that he's immortal.
Yeah, that's true.

But he's from mid-20th century Japan, so he's bound to have some sexist tendencies -- which, to his credit, he eventually recognized.

Nairume

Banned
At least going by the interview he did in the second Part 2 JoJonium volume, part of the way Lisa Lisa played out the way she was was him trying to ease readers into that kind of character, since he was doing something different with her that he was worried shounen manga fans wouldn't get used to.

Same reason he's mentioned that he kinda regrets how he designed Joseph, since he focused more on trying to ease people into the idea of having a main character killed off and the story move to a new guy by just designing the new guy to look like the old one.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member

I always read praise for Joseph, Josuke, and Gyro but how's Jolyne as a protag? I'm super curious about later parts but I'm resisting the temptation to read the manga because I'd be depriving myself of years worth of quality anime watching.

Jaxec

The big one that comes to mind is the orangutan going after Runaway Girl (and the anime made this creepier), and a few examples from later parts.

We just came off an episode that talked about how Angelo raped three boys and proceeded to cut one's penis and nail it to a wall and you're talking about how you think Araki likes violence against women a bit too much? Your comment even talks about the tons males that get brutally tortured and you basically just brush that aside. As cosmicblizzard already stated the violence in this series is disproportionally aimed toward men since that's what most of them are.

In regards to your second post I'd also like to ask for some examples that support your claim. While the confrontation between the orangutan and runaway girl was definitely creepy I don't see how it supports your initial claim about Araki liking violence against women a bit too much. You could've mentioned Polnareff's sister, but even that was talked about in little detail.

cntr

Banned
I always read praise for Joseph, Josuke, and Gyro but how's Jolyne as a protag? I'm super curious about later parts but I'm resisting the temptation to read the manga because I'd be depriving myself of years worth of quality anime watching.
Ask more in the manga thread, but...

Jolyne is ranked with Josuke and Joseph as the three best Jojos.

Numb

Don't forget Gyro

Who's Johnny?
dont know
Jolyne's the best..

image.php

Jaxec

To not veer too off topic I'll just say that Jolyne's an amazing protagonist (top tier). I honestly think she's the JoJo who had to deal with the most shit and she comes off looking like a billion dollars during her part.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Araki's use of violence against women (and whether it's excessive or not) would be a really good discussion in the manga thread too. I had some very particular thoughts over something in one of the latter parts.

What goes through the head of a manga spoiler?

"Il just post this one spoiler... Nobody will mind/notice..."

It's pretty clear nobody wants to to be spoiled.

The Hobo

Same reason he's mentioned that he kinda regrets how he designed Joseph, since he focused more on trying to ease people into the idea of having a main character killed off and the story move to a new guy by just designing the new guy to look like the old one.

That's interesting. I've always liked that Joseph looked like Jonathan as it gives the impression that Joseph is going to fight like his grandfather but then turns it on its head and reveals that Joseph brains are going to win the day and not his strength.

Madao

I always assumed that Joseph deliberately didn't use the Ripple, seeing what permanent youth did to Straizo.

i think that Joseph didn't use it because he'd look out of place next to Suzi Q. she would age normally since she never used the Ripple. maybe she even prohibited him from using it seeing how she's the one that dominates the relationship (and maybe that's why Joseph ended up cheating. he felt too dominated)

Lisa Lisa did a'ight.

speaking of her, was there ever any explanation about what happened to her? i assumed she died of old age but there was like nothing at all. not a single mention. Erina got a little epilogue death by age and i found weird that no such thing was done for Lisa Lisa.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Lisa Lisa was mentioned that Joseph talked to her about the birthmark in part 3, but otherwise none.

That would be pretty weird to see an ageless Joseph.

I just wanted to see Joseph using ripple and stand equally well and even using PH to twirl multiple crackers

Style

Banned
What's this about Joseph not appearing young due to hamon/ripple? Did you see how ripped and good looking he was in Stardust Crusaders? He was 67 at that time. :X

Even if he neglected hamon/ripple training it still had an effect on his aging.

Madao

i think we can agree that Jotaro secretly uses Ripple to keep himself from aging.

he's now looking younger than in Part 3.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
might as well merge this thread with the manga thread.

Pretty sure past anime are fine to talk here. The only spoiler stuff are future things.

I honestly thought the ripple martial arts were outclassed with the introduction of Stands? Am I wrong about this?

Not necessarily. We just haven't seen high tier hamon shit in Part 3. You know, those stuff like HAIR BARRIERS

Madao

Ripple was rendered useless pretty early into Part 3 by stating that it only works on living things and Stands aren't actually living things since they're basically ghosts.

NeonZ

Ripple was rendered useless pretty early into Part 3 by stating that it only works on living things and Stands aren't actually living things since they're basically ghosts.

What was said was actually that Joseph's Ripple didn't work against Empress because its physical body was actually part of Joseph's own body. They never really establish that Ripple wouldn't work against standard stands. He just never attempts to use it directly against one aside from that scene.

Madao

What was said was actually that Joseph's Ripple didn't work against Empress because its physical body was actually part of Joseph's own body. They never really establish that Ripple wouldn't work against standard stands. He just never attempts to use it directly against one aside from that scene.

hm yeah i remember that now.

still, i feel they'd have pulled something like "Stands don't conduct the Ripple so we're screwed lol" eventually anyway.

cntr

Banned
When the word SUTANDO was first said in Part 3, it had the kanji "ghostly ripple" next to it.

Araki threw this out almost immediately, but that's why Jotaro has issues with Dark Blue Moon fighting underwater, he can't breathe

speaking of her, was there ever any explanation about what happened to her? i assumed she died of old age but there was like nothing at all. not a single mention. Erina got a little epilogue death by age and i found weird that no such thing was done for Lisa Lisa.
yeah, she died of old age. She and Joseph didn't have much to deal with before Dio's return.

Top Bottom