• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable OT What a Beautiful Duwang

cntr

Banned
He didn't get the stand then, he got ill. He didn't have stand fighting spirit, being a kid.

But he survived and grew up, and his stand manifested then.

Josuke is "greato" and all, but I've been growing on Koichi a lot over the past few episodes. His character development is excellent and the creative way he uses his stand to outsmart Yukako is fun to watch.

I'm glad Josuke and Okayasu didn't end up saving the day like I was fearing would happen.

TheOGB

Banned
I was not expecting to get into this episode that much, but the second half almost immediately had me like "Yo. Yo! YO! YOOOOO!!" Koichi is the motherfucking man, his episodes have been stellar so far.

From reddit:

Koichis bizarre tinder adventure

https://streamable.com/mpdx
Oh god, I almost missed this. "17 kids or your dick! Which do you want?"
4tCIK.gif

I know what I'm eating while I watch next week's episode.
cDU5HZ3.jpg
YES
suck my dick because I'm eating Italian FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOd

He didn't get the stand then, he got ill. He didn't have stand fighting spirit, being a kid.

But he survived and grew up, and his stand manifested then.

I mean a baby had a fighting spirit fit for a Stand. I guess Josuke just wasn't cool enough as a kid.

Hmm... how many years have passed since Dio's defeat anyway? How old would D13 be?

I mean a baby had a fighting spirit fit for a Stand. I guess Josuke just wasn't cool enough as a kid.

Hmm... how many years have passed since Dio's defeat anyway? How old would D13 be?

part 3 was 1989 and part 4 was 1999

so 10 years have past so the Mannish Boy is about 10 to 11

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Does part 4 become less monster of the week and more serial as it goes in? I want to like it, but if it continues like this I feel I'm going to get as bored as I did in part 3. It just becomes a bit repetitive after a while to have all those throwaway stand users introduced when you know they'll be beaten in exactly two episodes because that's what the structure demands. I just feel like things are getting a bit formulaic.

Does part 4 become less monster of the week and more serial as it goes in? I want to like it, but if it continues like this I feel I'm going to get as bored as I did in part 3. It just becomes a bit repetitive after a while to have all those throwaway stand users introduced when you know they'll be beaten in exactly two episodes because that's what the structure demands. I just feel like things are getting a bit formulaic.
Its gonna start to get less when the main villain is introduced but there is still gonna be the stand user of the week occasionally.

cntr

Banned
Araki gets used to the format, it never gets as formulaic as Part 3 does again. It's still episodic from now on, but with more continuity and set-up.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Its gonna start to get less when the main villain is introduced but there is still gonna be the stand user of the week occasionally.

Alright. I'll stick with it a bit longer, then, thanks.

Alright. I'll stick with it a bit longer, then, thanks.
Yeah its gonna get a lot better soon. But what makes it better than Part 3 is that most Stand User arent just defeated and gone.

Instead the fight against most of them is more like a introduction for them to be recurring characters through out the bigger story line what was rarely the case in Part 3.

It's formulaic in the sense that it's a series of encounters with Stand users that isn't heavily serialized, but it's not formulaic at all in how those encounters actually play out. I can understand why some people can't get into more episodic narratives which lack a single organizing goal, but it's a real shame.

ionitron

The thing that separates Part 4 monster of the week vs. Part 3 monster of the week is that since the whole part takes place in one setting, characters are recurring making the whole thing feel more lively, imo. We saw that with Tamami.

There is literally nothing wrong with the Monster of the Week setup JoJo has, especially Part 4. With the amount of shonen that get boggled down in routines that take forever to resolve (Bleach, Naruto, One Piece, everything) people should find it refreshing that Part 4 is a series where likable characters with fun abilities just walk into encounters.

Part 4 finds something of a main plot thread a little before the halfway mark, but its woven in well with the natural Stand users meet other Stand users stuff.

I don't want to be a condescending dick, but if you don't appreciate next week's episode maybe its time to consider why you even like JoJo in the first place.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
There is literally nothing wrong with the Monster of the Week setup JoJo has, especially Part 4. With the amount of shonen that get boggled down in routines that take forever to resolve (Bleach, Naruto, One Piece, everything) people should find it refreshing that Part 4 is a series where likable characters with fun abilities just walk into encounters.

Part 4 finds something of a main plot thread a little before the halfway mark, but its woven in well with the natural Stand users meet other Stand users stuff.

I don't want to be a condescending dick, but if you don't appreciate next week's episode maybe its time to consider why you even like JoJo in the first place.

...? I mean, I am considering? That was the whole reason I asked? I liked parts 1 and 2 because they were quirky and played with the format and both Jojos were very much not at all the shounen norm in terms of protagonists. I actually did give up on part 3, but thought I'd see whether part 4 was as good as parts 1 and 2 out of curiosity.

...? I mean, I am considering? That was the whole reason I asked? I liked parts 1 and 2 because they were quirky and played with the format and both Jojos were very much not at all the shounen norm in terms of protagonists. I actually did give up on part 3, but thought I'd see whether part 4 was as good as parts 1 and 2 out of curiosity.

I'm not speaking to you in specific. Part 4 is more like a combo of 2 and 3 with a more fun setup and main group with the excitement of new battles and powers along the way

Tbh the best thing about JoJo is the parts aspect. It's genius and no one has ever stolen it for 30 years. It's the old cross generation story you see sometimes like with Gundam AGE or Fire Emblem Genealogy of the Holy War or Phantasy star 3 but done way harder. It also allows for soft reboots whenever the author wants. Of course it wouldn't be fit for a story that's nearly a Homeric epic in scope like One Piece but it sure as Shit stops it from growing stale and Araki doesn't care much for a huge overarching plot aside from Dio.

Of course JoJo is monthly now and Part 7 was 8 years long and Part 8 is past 5 but that's a trade-off for better art, story telling and more content.

Yonafunu

When did you give up on part 3? I think a big part of the second season is definitely worth watching, it has some great fights.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
When did you give up on part 3? I think a big part of the second season is definitely worth watching, it has some great fights.

Mid-way; I think the episode with the Sun. Came back for the finale. I don't think I'd have much interest in the fights if they were more of the same "Here is a brand new Stand user with no plot relevance or relation to the existing characters other than being generically evil and serving Dio, he/she/it will look about to win at the end of the first episode then outwitted by the end of the second episode, our direly boring protagonist will continue to the next round with absolutely nothing of any real consequence to the plot having occurred".

Mid-way; I think the episode with the Sun. Came back for the finale. I don't think I'd have much interest in the fights if they were more of the same "Here is a brand new Stand user with no plot relevance or relation to the existing characters other than being generically evil and serving Dio, he/she/it will look about to win at the end of the first episode then outwitted by the end of the second episode, our direly boring protagonist will continue to the next round with absolutely nothing of any real consequence to the plot having occurred".

In Part 4 people aren't working for the big bad. Most are just regular dudes trying to do get rich quick schemes or fuck with people with their stands but some are more nefarious. A lot of fights are more like encounters, where the goal isn't to survive and kill the opponent because most aren't evil and you can't just kill them. The situations are less dire and life threatening but still plenty of fun with a lot of cool moments. Antagonists show up quite often later as well, but most not in important roles. It's an improvement on part 3 in every way.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
So what's the deal? Persona is a ripoff of JoJo?
Heavily inspired is a better way to put it. Persona was the video game adaptation of Jojo before the actual Jojo video games. And each installment only gets more Jojo-esque as time goes on (it's not a coincidence that Persona 4 and Jojo Part 4 share the same premise).

Sou Da

Heavily inspired is a better way to put it. Persona was the video game adaptation of Jojo before the actual Jojo video games. And each installment only gets more Jojo-esque as time goes on (it's not a coincidence that Persona 4 and Jojo Part 4 share the same premise).

goddamn,
p5 and part 5 both feature criminals

SoulUnison

Banned
Watch Persona 6
take place in a prison.

5 already kind of has that a central theme, though.

The original reveal trailer was
"You are Slave. Want emancipation?" along with the ball and chain imagery. And the Velvet Room is explicitly prison-themed with Igor referring to himself as "warden."

Top Bottom