• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jon Stewart is leaving The Daily Show "later this year"

Status
Not open for further replies.
vRC9o.gif

Fusebox

Banned
Oh god not Hodgman, he used to be good but then he got that stupid moustache and started doing an upper-class shtick.

Of all the suggestions I've seen Bee and Jones combo is by far the best.

Kristen Schaal as new host please.

Aaaaaaaaaahahaha!! You're hilarious. Lets give the worst commentator on the show the hosting gig.

No. I refuse to believe it. Jon Stewart is the only reason that I watch that show. But seriously, I hope he's onto bigger and better things for him.

Jonm1010

Banned
First Colbert did it better and then John Oliver made him obsolete.
Eh, I dont think so. Colbert was good at pure satire and pageantry, Oliver is better at taking a singular topic and making potent commentary about it.

Stewart was a master interviewer and gave the most biting deconstruction of our news media and the day to day news cycle. While still having some pretty good investigative pieces every year.

I don't think there is any one person out there that is currently filling all of those things that Stewart brought to the table

As sad as this is to say, the man practically provides a public service by bringing news and actual insight on things to certain demographics. This is a legitimate educational loss for a national election when oftentimes people need to be called out for being stupid.

God, how are we supposed to cope with the 2016 election....................

If Oliver were on more than once a week this would be more tolerable, but this creates an actual entertainment void.

RC

Banned
This is terrible. I couldn't watch the show without Jon Stewart. The 2016 election won't be the same without him.

At least we have John Oliver.

The Daily Show has unfortunately been going downhill for about a year now. Lots of stables have left, the new correspondents are pretty bad and the writting seems like it's become a lot less political and much dumber for a while.

So I'm not totally surprised and I certainly understand why, Jon Stewart is an insanely talented, smart and well-spoken individual and he can simple do so much better than doing poop jokes on late night TV. That being said this is still super sad and the end of a great era. The Daily show was awesome for years and a weirdly great way to get news about the US. Suddenly not being able to watch it along with my breakfast every workday will be real weird.

Hopefully John Oliver gets to expands Last Week Tonight to a more than once a week thing. That show is the best substitute for The Daily Show that I can imagine.

Crud

Banned
Times are a changing, that's for sure.

Comedy Central must be shitting themselves at this point. I guess they still have South Park.

It's only a matter of time for South Park.

I honestly need Larry Willmore to step it up because It may just be him for a hot min. I know he has the chops for it though.

Was very obvious it was coming but still surreal to see it in the headlines. Helluva run. Very excited to see what's next for him.

You guys saying Colbert and Oliver are better don't get it.

Oliver and Colbert are like star players and Stewart is like losing a head coach after 20 years.

They shouldn't even try to replace him. He IS the Daily Show. Put something else in the timeslot until a worthy comedy news successor makes themselves apparent and call it something else.

Gallbaro

Banned
Eh, I dont think so. Colbert was good at pure satire and pageantry, Oliver is better at taking a singular topic and making potent commentary about it.

Ferguson was a master interviewer and gave the most biting deconstruction of our things and occasional news cycle. While still having some pretty good investigative pieces every year.

I don't think there is any one person out there that is currently filling all of those things that Stewart brought to the table

FTFY.

Stewart is a exceptional jack of all trades, a better package than Colbert, Oliver, or anyone else.

aliengmr

Dammit. Now I'm sad.

Oliver would have been perfect had he not left. I honestly don't know who could replace him. Maybe Sam Bee, or someone totally different. I Like Larry Wilmore, but he needs more time.

Fuck it all. Literally the only TV show I watch. :(

nai

I can't really imagine Craig wanting to do a political show
Yeah me neither. I tried coming up with someone who is actually funny, but couldn't think of anyone. I don't think any of the Daily Show correspondents are funny at all.

I'm so going to miss Stewarts turtle impression of Mitch Mcconnell.

witness

This really really sucks, but I'm not surprised. My wife asked me, now what will we watch in the morning before work? :(

Jonm1010

Banned
As sad as this is to say, the man practically provides a public service by bringing news and actual insight on things to certain demographics. This is a legitimate educational loss for a national election when oftentimes people need to be called out for being stupid.

God, how are we supposed to cope with the 2016 election....................

If Oliver were on more than once a week this would be more tolerable, but this creates an actual entertainment void.

Skme may say this is alarmist but this is actually true.

I can't say how many people in my life first saw through the bullshit of American media and politics thanks to Stewart. My last three steady girlfriends all got hooked on the Daily show because I loved it and before that they were either confused but raised in a conservative household or were apolitical.

I mean seriously, it's practically common knowledge that there is an entire population of people that get their news through the Stewart late night tree.

The daily show was a gateway to piquing interest into politics in a way nothing else had for young people.

jstripes

Banned
Dammit. :(

I used to watch it every night, but got out of the habit because the TV was next to the kids' rooms, and it would distract them from going to sleep properly.

Now that they're teenagers who stay up until 4am regardless, I guess I should start watching again.

statham

WHAT THE HELL.

any chance John Oliver only has a 1year contract and will come back? Maybe hes taking a year or two off and will comeback right before the election? Somehow I blame Colbert.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom