• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Journey |OT| Perfect Strangers

I had a great run through with a white cloak today who showed me all the secrets and best paths to take. He kept waiting for me and charged me up when I was low on energy. Great and intimate 2nd run through!

XOMTOR

Even after you get the cloak, you don't need to wear it. It's optional.

Yea, I think on my next playthrough I'm gonna switch
back to the red cloak
. If I meet up with a
white cloak and they want to mentor me
, I'm gonna play along and enjoy the camaraderie.

Canova

Banned
This seems like the completely wrong game to go trophyhunting with. I really wouldn't do that. If I ever get the Companion trophy it'd be because of luck.

and it would be your most memorable one. Playing most of the game with one partner and finish it together is that much more joyful.

Companion trophy should've been a gold trophy

Annnnnnnd... got the 100% Trophies :D

wow, have been playing this non stop for almost 9 hours.... one of the most beautiful THING I've ever seen in my entire life.

The last level and the very end of it when that AMAZING EMOTIONAL music starts playing I can't help myself but shedding 2 tears, how can that be? how can I get very emotional without any words?

This is Art... I don't care if people says games can't be Art, because this is the proof of it... "Journey" :)

shawnlreed

Playing most of the game with one partner and finish it together is that much more joyful.
Companion trophy should've been a gold trophy

Totally agree.
Getting all the glowing symbols is fine, but playing the whole game together with the same companion felt more meaningful.
It's where the game really shines.

moozoom

Finished the game in one setting last night, just after having bought it...

I had a mountain of work to do, and at first I wanted to have a sample of the gameplay and graphics, but once I started to play and met my first companion; I absolutely couldn't stop playing. It felt like if I switched to console off, I would abandon him and it make me uneasy just thinking about it. I just couldn't stop playing until the end. (I knew the game was not very long)

Most of the time I was in total awe of the gorgeous landscapes and animations, and I litterally teared up
at the Sunset sandsurfing moment... Just because of the sheer beauty of it. At the frozen part also, but not for the same reasons.

It must one of the few times in my life I had such a strong response to a work of art, no painting or sculpture alone had this effect on me. I'll wait to be clear of all my work to do another run.

watership

Just finished it.

Walking
through the snow, seemingly keeping each other warm with our chimes was incredible. My friend 'died' first. I was so sad...

This was the best aspect of the game.
Earlier on the mountain, moving together to stay warm, huddling, with a complete stranger, without having to communicate. Just mutual need. It will stand out in my mind for years. Of course a few times I played through this section I had players that didn't understand the mechanic. In fact he didn't understand the chime to give charge my scarf mechanic either. Or he just didn't care.

krishian

You're supposed to get the
white cloak
after you collect all the symbols, right? I just got the trophy, but for some reason one of the symbols in the hub area isn't lit and I can't get the cloak.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
You're supposed to get the
white cloak
after you collect all the symbols, right? I just got the trophy, but for some reason one of the symbols in the hub area isn't lit and I can't get the cloak.

did you finish the level off? I don't think it saves until you pass the gate into the next level.

Haunted

I didn't get Team Ico vibes from this at all. They both employ minimalistic storytelling, but that's where the similarities end. It is unfortunate if any game that employs minimalistic storytelling gets pegged as Team Ico wannabes.
fumitouedaisgrad.png
whoops. :p

The Ueda influence is pretty obvious and that's not really a bad thing.

Canova

Banned
So any chance of retail version? I'd buy it again full retail price if I have to just to support the company.

heck maybe we can start a kickstart campaign for them. Their projects are small, not ambitious and yet rewarding

Ra1den

whoops. :p

The Ueda influence is pretty obvious and that's not really a bad thing.

I am well aware of the influence, everybody is. But you seem to be unaware of the difference between being influenced by something and copying something. I got no Team Ico vibes from Journey because it has a totally different feel. The person I was replying to had accused Journey of being a Team Ico "tryhard", which is nonsense.

Having a similar awe-like feeling and sense of scale etc which was influenced by Team Ico is not the same as being a Team Ico "tryhard".

Booted the game up about four hours ago feeling a bit apprehensive about it for some reason, as though it might not be fun. FOURTH PLAYTHROUGH WAS BEST.

Had a new guy, no pattern on cloak, who wanted to explore and slide around and play and fly and gaze in awe. It was amazing, I saw it through his eyes. And I felt like a big brother in the mid-point of the game's tension. Such a delight.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
Booted the game up about four hours ago feeling a bit apprehensive about it for some reason, as though it might not be fun. FOURTH PLAYTHROUGH WAS BEST.

Had a new guy, no pattern on cloak, who wanted to explore and slide around and play and fly and gaze in awe. It was amazing, I saw it through his eyes. And I felt like a big brother in the mid-point of the game's tension. Such a delight.

I had a similar experience on my fourth or so playthrough as well. Did my best not to spoil anything and to just let him/her set the pace. Watching her do stuff that I did, and stuff that I didn't do, was pretty grand. We ended up playing through the game together, so I'm guess (s)he got the companion trophy for spending time with me, too.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Watching my girlfriend play this on her PS3 right now. I'm a pretty much adult baby, I cry during Disney movies, etc. So this game, its music and its tension - emotional rollercoaster. She can't sing right now and she's all alone, tears.

I had a similar experience on my fourth or so playthrough as well. Did my best not to spoil anything and to just let him/her set the pace. Watching her do stuff that I did, and stuff that I didn't do, was pretty grand. We ended up playing through the game together, so I'm guess (s)he got the companion trophy for spending time with me, too.

Yeah, I don't understand the rabid desire of some to show everyone everything their first time through as I know has happened to a few friends. I did my best to let them take the lead at every step following behind and occasionally leading a slide down the sand or a fly around. The only time I actively led them to things was when they had a tiny scarf left and were clearly looking frantically to make it longer. That made it so much more evocative and entertaining for me personally.

JWong

Banned
Playing offline doing my trophy hunt since I don't want to be a dick and screw over people's playthrough exploring things.

It definitely feels less engaging without the stranger.

panda21

is there a wallpaper/big image for that
pixel art looking thing in the big cylindrical room where it shows you the whole journey?

boingball

Thank you m0dus for the amazing Journey themes. Will install them today.

I usually hate nickel'n'diming but I hope thatgamecompany and Sony milk Journey with a couple of dynamic themes.

Jharp

Just finished it in one sitting. I don't think I can properly articulate how profound the experience was, so I'll simply say that- it was profound. Fantastic, and profound.

I probably spent thirty minutes just exploring every nook and cranny of the first, relatively small level, then by the second area I got a co op partner who I stuck with throughout the entire game. Yosubosu, wherever you are, thank you so much for sharing that experience with me.

Holy shit, what a game.

ScOULaris

Wait, what's this about different designs showing up on your cloak after several playthroughs? Do you have to play through in one continuous Journey in order to acquire them, or can you just jump around the level select area and finish it that way?

If I have the
white cloak
, will the designs show on that as well?

This gives me yet another reason to keep on Journeyin'.

slider

I've got this sat on my PS3 and must really give it a go. Instead I've been playing Farm Frenzy 2 (I loved the first one you see!).

StuBurns

Banned
TLG is looking to have missed it's place somewhat in light of Journey for me. My defense has always been that until someone makes something approaching Ico quality quicker than Team Ico did, there's no real reason to think a team can make a title of that quality, with the PS3 quality assets any faster. Journey is Ico quality, certainly it's only half, maybe a third of the length, and still took quite a long time, but it's making it hard to justify, even to myself what about TLG is taking the time it is.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Wait, what's this about different designs showing up on your cloak after several playthroughs? Do you have to play through in one continuous Journey in order to acquire them, or can you just jump around the level select area and finish it that way?

If I have the
white cloak
, will the designs show on that as well?

This gives me yet another reason to keep on Journeyin'.

Jumping around via level select won't work. I went through all the levels but repeated one because I missed a symbol, and it didn't count it.

And yes.

Ra1den

TLG is looking to have missed it's place somewhat in light of Journey for me. My defense has always been that until someone makes something approaching Ico quality quicker than Team Ico did, there's no real reason to think a team can make a title of that quality, with the PS3 quality assets any faster. Journey is Ico quality, certainly it's only half, maybe a third of the length, and still took quite a long time, but it's making it hard to justify, even to myself what about TLG is taking the time it is.

I'm guessing the gameplay wasn't holding up to their standards so they had to do some scrapping and rebuilding. Just like with MG:Rising. Annoying as the waits are, I'm glad they refuse to release a product that is not up to snuff.

jett

D-Member

From what I've gathered the game is essentially content-finished now but it has some serious performance/technical issues, which is why Sony has enlisted the help of several SCE studios to help them out. There's footage of the game running at a framerate that wouldn't be out of place in SotC on the PS2, and that's despite the game being sub-HD.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
No that is the 'Crossing' trophy. For 'Companion' you need to finish the game while having travelled most of it with the same companion.

Just wanted to clear up that for the Companion trophy you CAN just chapter skip the Snow level and beat the game from there. Takes about 15 mins with the ending. However, the issue is how the game melds the partner into your game. If they come through the door at the entrance then it's easy to join up and finish the game (you must finish the game together for the trophy to unlock). However, sometimes the game joins you with someone who is a little bit ahead of the entrance area where the blizzard is blowing. If you don't see them and join up with them, they'll most likely continue on, "lose" you, and then you're still waiting for a companion. This usually happens without you knowing that they were there since you're probably looking at the door. This adds a name to your "met list" at the end and influences the percentage for what constitutes as the majority.

So for example, I chapter selected to the Snow level, saw someone who I thought was my first companion, beat the game with them, and at the end it had told me I had actually met 4 people and did not get the trophy. Doing it again, I saw the person come out of the door, knew it was them till the end, and got the trophy no problem.

Also it's very easy to get separated on the last level especially after the skiing section so be careful of that as it'll lose them as well. Even if you wait for them, the person that arrives might not be the same one.

Hansel

Banned
Just wanted to clear up that for the Companion trophy you CAN just chapter skip the Snow level and beat the game from there. Takes about 15 mins with the ending. However, the issue is how the game melds the partner into your game. If they come through the door at the entrance then it's easy to join up and finish the game (you must finish the game together for the trophy to unlock). However, sometimes the game joins you with someone who is a little bit ahead of the entrance area where the blizzard is blowing. If you don't see them and join up with them, they'll most likely continue on, "lose" you, and then you're still waiting for a companion. This usually happens without you knowing that they were there since you're probably looking at the door. This adds a name to your "met list" at the end and influences the percentage for what constitutes as the majority.

So for example, I chapter selected to the Snow level, saw someone who I thought was my first companion, beat the game with them, and at the end it had told me I had actually met 4 people and did not get the trophy. Doing it again, I saw the person come out of the door, knew it was them till the end, and got the trophy no problem.

Also it's very easy to get separated on the last level especially after the skiing section so be careful of that as it'll lose them as well. Even if you wait for them, the person that arrives might not be the same one.

That is very useful information. I had pretty much given up on that after my 3rd or 4th playthrough.

Chuckie

How do you meet up with the same partner when you skip chapters? Does it really count as 'same partner of the majority of the journey' if you only do the last level?

I must be misunderstanding you because it doesn't seem to make sense you can get the companion trophy through level-selecting the last level.

Somehow I still get the feeling people are confusing 'Crossing' with 'Companion'.

Well just looking at it mathematically, TLG is going to be at least 3-4 times longer, and Journey took 3 years so...thats 9-12 years of development :p. But seriously its also infinitely more complex and graphically demanding. Obviously its been too long but I have a hard time criticizing a company for making something as unpredictable as TLG, at least from a consumers point of view. The only problem is we probably won't get a game like it again.

Canova

Banned
hmm, is it me or people don't want to play with white cloak?

I tried this white cloak, found 3 companions, and they all abandoned me quickly

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
How do you meet up with the same partner when you skip chapters? Does it really count as 'same partner of the majority of the journey' if you only do the last level?

I must be misunderstanding you because it doesn't seem to make sense you can get the companion trophy through level-selecting the last level.

Somehow I still get the feeling people are confusing 'Crossing' with 'Companion'.

Because your journey is only from Snow->end, not beginning->end. The trophy is worded weirdly and isn't representative of what it means. If you start your journey using chapter select from whatever level, that's where the beginning of your journey is. It doesn't understand that you skipped ahead however many levels.

So the "majority" of your journey from Snow->end is simply the mountain and the section after the mountain. If they stay with you from the beginning of Snow till the end of the game, they have been with you for 100% of your journey. Again, your journey only started from Snow.

The partner you get by waiting at the beginning of snow is just the random soul who bumped into you. They might have been coming from the beginning, from the ruins, or maybe they're just trophy hunting like you. But to you, they're just the one person who will accompany you for the short journey from the base to the top of the mountain.

Crossing is simply beat the game with someone. As long as you get to the end with another person you'll get it no matter what. Companion is a bit finicky because the game is very obtuse on letting you know if you're with the same person you think you're with. Sometimes you lose track of your partner, turn around, and see someone coming around the corner, but you have no idea that it's not the same person until the end. And again the way the matchmaking melds the gameplay, you might not realize that there is someone already with you at the beginning of Snow because you're expecting them to come from the door.

Anyway, simply put, chapter select to Snow, make sure you see the first person in your game, beat the game, done.

Canova

Banned
Sometimes you lose track of your partner, turn around, and see someone coming around the corner, but you have no idea that it's not the same person until the end. And again the way the matchmaking melds the gameplay, you might not realize that there is someone already with you at the beginning of Snow because you're expecting them to come from the door.

I learned to study my partner chirp symbol ( each player has unique chirp symbol) so I can determine if this is the same partner as moment ago or not.

Also by the completeness of their cloak pattern, though this is not as effective, as there's only 4 level of completeness. Or even by the length of their scarf

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I think they should add all the players met to the XMB "Players Met" screen (after completion) for easy communication after the fact.

jett

D-Member
I think they should add all the players met to the XMB "Players Met" screen (after completion) for easy communication after the fact.

They did that to purposely avoid giving the players any means to communicate between each other while playing.

Just have pen and paper ready when the credits start rolling :p

Top Bottom