• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

July Wrasslin' |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date

jred2k

One can only hope.

But even then I'm sure they would turn it into the keys gets Stephanie McMahon over as a business woman show
You could start by not watching if you hate the product and the people profiting off of it as much as you assert.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
73IY65N.gif

The greatest moment in the history of our sports

This is BEAUTIFUL

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I really like a sloppy reversal when it makes sense. I'll take a sloppy reversal over a flying nothing into a picture perfect reversal nine times out of ten because the sloppy reversal looks real. Of course it looks sloppy, the other guy wasn't planning on you doing it. Wrestling is entirely about the illusion of making it seem real at this point to me because it's got so blatant about calling its spots and exposing itself that I have to take those few rough moments that I can and seeing if this new generation can ever make me slip for one second and make me go 'oh that looked like it really hurt'
qnK5c6m.gif

Jack Brisco was working the arm for the match. A very skinny Don Muraco went for a flying forearm, not a flying nothing, and Jack took advantage of it in the way you actually would. Unlike a contrived RKO spot, for example. Though I guess the latter is a lot more giffable than the former in 2015, and I do think wrestlers, at least a lot of indie wrestles, think about how many gifs per second they can spawn in their match.
wtzgU.gif

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
there was a Simpsons Wrestling game? the more you know

It's fucking awful too. I know I can tend to be... let's say, hyperbolic at times? But trust me when I say that The Simpsons Wrestling game makes Yukes looke like a 5 star game developer.

dream

I really like a sloppy reversal when it makes sense. I'll take a sloppy reversal over a flying nothing into a picture perfect reversal nine times out of ten because the sloppy reversal looks real. Of course it looks sloppy, the other guy wasn't planning on you doing it. Wrestling is entirely about the illusion of making it seem real at this point to me because it's got so blatant about calling its spots and exposing itself that I have to take those few rough moments that I can and seeing if this new generation can ever make me slip for one second and make me go 'oh that looked like it really hurt'
qnK5c6m.gif

Jack Brisco was working the arm for the match. A very skinny Don Muraco went for a flying forearm, not a flying nothing, and Jack took advantage of it in the way you actually would. Unlike a contrived RKO spot, for example. Though I guess the latter is a lot more giffable than the former in 2015, and I do think wrestlers, at least a lot of indie wrestles, think about how many gifs per second they can spawn in their match.
wtzgU.gif

Sad thing about that is if wrestlinggaf were watching that match, we'd see 15 posts in a row saying "BOTCH!!!!" followed by another 30 posts where everyone congratulates each other for spotting a "botch."

"Can't believe Obama wasted his time calling the US world cup winning women's soccer team. Maybe if it was the world cup of vacuuming, am I right fellas??"
-Aiii probably

Aiii

So not worth it
Of course Taylor Swift is there. I was wondering why you were pretending to care about this so much.

It was the highest rated soccer gamr in American TV history. You underestimate America's ability to give a shit about something once they find out they're good at it.
http://time.com/3946656/womens-world-cup-breaks-ratings-record/

I am not that surprised really, Americans tend to only care about sports they
lead at. But,I do believe this is the case for every country out there. I mean, my fellow Dutchmen absolutely love watching speed skating and that is the most boring sport in the world. Winning at stuff is nice, so it makes sense.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Soccer has definitely changed in the US and its not just because the Women won something. Ratings were good but nowhere near this good the last time they won.

how much of those billions have to do with the womans soccer team? over or under 1?

Very likely over. Selling out stadiums, TV deals, merch deals, promos for the games, autograph signings, talk show appearances, etc. and that's not even counting the book deals at least two of them will get. For the most worldwide* popular sport, it's not difficult to make dat cash.

*Specified worldwide so nobody goes "but superb owl"

ed: VV of course

Notice that all the ladies in USWNT are of an 'agreeable color' for you, Pepsi

Actually I think that we could be doing better, it seems that even though soccer is much more accessible than a lot of sports it is still very cost prohibitive for young people to make it into high levels of competition which prohibits lower income/minority players from ever making into the upper echelons of sport.

This is especially noticeable in our two nations, which boast a higher minority population than much of the world but we do not reflect our populations in high level competition - which should really be an "even playing field" based on individual skill and determination not a reflection of privilege.

At a glance the Canadian and US Womens National Teams have 5 and 4 minority players respectively and while that is a fairly small sample size to draw a conclusion from, I would like to state emphatically that we really should be better.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Actually I think that we could be doing better, it seems that even though soccer is much more accessible than a lot of sports it is still very cost prohibitive for young people to make it into high levels of competition which prohibits lower income/minority players from ever making into the upper echelons of sport.

This is especially noticeable in our two nations, which boast a higher minority population than much of the world but we do not reflect our populations in high level competition - which should really be an "even playing field" based on individual skill and determination not a reflection of privilege.

At a glance the Canadian and US Womens National Teams have 5 and 4 minority players respectively and while that is a fairly small sample size to draw a conclusion from, I would like to state emphatically that we really should be better.

Soccer just has to get popular enough so that the really talented girls and boys from lower socioeconomic groups get shuffled into academies like boys do in the soccer nations around the world and like we do for Basketball in the states.

Ithil

Of course Taylor Swift is there. I was wondering why you were pretending to care about this so much.

I am not that surprised really, Americans tend to only care about sports they
lead at. But,I do believe this is the case for every country out there. I mean, my fellow Dutchmen absolutely love watching speed skating and that is the most boring sport in the world. Winning at stuff is nice, so it makes sense.

Saudi Arabia loves football, even though they're rubbish at it.

Top Bottom