• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

July Wrasslin' |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date

RP912

Banned
Accurate.

m8GewM.gif

Neckbrace.gif

jfc, I thought people were joking when they called Drake a murderer in those UC games. It's either us or them you nimrods. Also, UC2 is the game of that generation, your faves could never yadda yadda yadda.

Its actually Last of Us come to think of it.

I think Max Payne 3 is a little underrated.

Not as good as Gears,Uncharted,Tomb Raider... but pretty darn good.

Actually, I'm wrong. Max Payne 3 wipes the fucking floor on everything.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I despise that game. Considering it's the sequel to two of the best third person shooters ever and instead it's a corridor cutscene simulator

klonere

Banned
I have a guilty pleasure love for Max Payne 3. Its insanely self indulgent and incredibly on rails but man I fucking love that story, that setting, that gunplay, everything.

Amazing soundtrack as well.

jmdajr

So does GTA V play like Max Paybe 3? Shooting wise.

I couldn't finish GTA4. I just didn't find it fun to play at all. Am I missing out?

Everything about that game punched so hard in all the right areas. The guns, the pace, the story, the variety of levels, THE MUSIC, the James McCaffrey....

I need to replay that game again.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
What is wrong with uncharted's shooting? Besides the problem with the third game prepatch it was always responsive and smooth so the games are on par with each other in that category. Uncharted's AI mops the floor with tomb raider, they make the worst attempts at cover and piss poor attempt to flank you. Drake might be a heartless stone cold killer but I despised how big of a deal Lara made her first kill then kills a thousand more people no problem. I won't say fuck tomb raider and it's fans since that's dumb as shit but the tomb raider series is off to a great new start and have high hopes for the next game.

Its shooting has always been second rate, and the enemy AI feels like a wet fart. I've never enjoyed a single shooting encounter in UC2 or 3, not at all. It's simply joyless, and the devs know it. Yet they pad out the exploration (which is by far the most fun part of it) with bullet sponges. They can't get their stop and pop gameplay on the same level of Gears, yet they press on with it because they had no other way to move between their big special levels, and even then it kind of falls flat as they'll do that "pan camera back and do a 360, showcasing all the different obstacles you'll get to traverse and here's a set of stalactites you'll need to shimmy over, make sure you don't miss these, we tried to make them look natural but can't" trick a zillion times.

UC1 was interesting. 2 and 3 were them fucking a chicken. For a few hours. Not unlike Killzone 2, it's just crap to play through, but nice to see once. And don't get me started on KZ3...

jmdajr

Games I pretty much skipped out last gen.

Mass Effect
Fall Out
Sky Rim

I don't know. I'm not a japonophile that only thinks Japanese RPGs are good but just couldn't get into them.

Mass Effect 1 elevators drove me nuts so I quit. Skyrim had some glitch early on that made me quit too. And Fallout just looked... well... bleak.

edit:
I have enjoyed Borderlands/Destiny/Diablo 3... so yeah, not against western "RPGs"

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Mass Effect
Fall Out
Sky Rim

I don't know. I'm not a japonophile that only thinks Japanese RPGs are good but just couldn't get into them.

Mass Effect 1 elevators drove me nuts so I quit. Skyrim had some glitch early on that me me quit too. And Fallout just looked... well... bleak.

Mass Effect is worth doing. I liked em. Fallout New Vegas is a crown jewel of gaming.

Skyrim's a piece of shit, if a glitch early on didn't make you quit, the thousands waiting for you to trigger would have done it.

Cagey

Banned

Mass Effect
Fall Out
Sky Rim

Mass Effect 1 elevators drove me nuts so I quit. Skyrim had some glitch early on that me me quit too. And Fallout just looked... well... bleak.

edit:
I have enjoyed Borderlands/Destiny/Diablo 3... so yeah, not against western "RPGs"
As a person against Western RPGs, Fallout is worth messing around with though the new ones feel expansive and empty, and Mass Effect is enjoyable from a lore/worldbuilding standpoint but the gameplay is a bore/chore combo and the narrative takes a huge quality nosedive from ME1=>ME2=>ME3.

The ME3 ending sequence is the worst thing I've ever encountered in a game that wasn't otherwise total shit.

jmdajr

I feel like I am still in a window that I can enjoy last gen games before next-gen really takes off. Especially with all these ports to the newer machines.

Its shooting has always been second rate, and the enemy AI feels like a wet fart. I've never enjoyed a single shooting encounter in UC2 or 3, not at all. It's simply joyless, and the devs know it. Yet they pad out the exploration (which is by far the most fun part of it) with bullet sponges. They can't get their stop and pop gameplay on the same level of Gears, yet they press on with it because they had no other way to move between their big special levels, and even then it kind of falls flat as they'll do that "pan camera back and do a 360, showcasing all the different obstacles you'll get to traverse and here's a set of stalactites you'll need to shimmy over, make sure you don't miss these, we tried to make them look natural but can't" trick a zillion times.

UC1 was interesting. 2 and 3 were them fucking a chicken. For a few hours. Not unlike Killzone 2, it's just crap to play through, but nice to see once. And don't get me started on KZ3...

Vinny Mac dropping those pipebombs.

0zd0W6q.gif

Heck, the enemy escalation is basically them becoming spongier as opposed to anything remotely interesting.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
You fit in well with the other Obsidian drones round these parts

It's a good-ass game. I've never played through Icewind Dale or its sequel, and I hated that one game they did the third sequel for. I can't remember its name. Dungeon...Siege 3. I didn't like that at all. Alpha Protocol was dope as FUCK and KOTOR 2 was dope as fuck.

Is that a "drone" status or should I like some more games I didn't like?

Vinny Mac dropping those pipebombs.

0zd0W6q.gif

Heck, the enemy escalation is basically them becoming spongier as opposed to anything remotely interesting.

That is what I like least about difficulty up - I have no love, whatsoever, for enemies that simply take more damage, or your weapons being weaker. I want to think harder. I want to respond better. I want to be a better player through it, not simply re-use the same tactics. I love it when games give bosses at higher difficulties new attacks, or different responses. I love it when you look at Halo and they have group dynamics and a clear pecking order that you can disrupt in multiple ways. I love that shit. Uncharted simply didn't do any of that, and that's fine to a degree, but man, it got long in the tooth.

http://www.neogaf.com/
You can also check off your Platinum trash weekly readings in here too where we pretend Anarchy Reigns is a good game
Anarchy Reigns is pretty ass, definitely their worst game.
http://howlongtobeat.com/

This site seems useful. I really don't have much time to play so if I game is long it better be fucking good.

I think I will try Gears of War Judgment and Dishonored next. Don't seem too long.
GoW:J wasn't as bad as people made it out to be. I had fun with it... although getting it for only $5 is factored in.

Full G1 Schedule is out in computerized form with all matches.

July 20 (Mon) 15:00 JST: Yale came Beihai Hokkaido, Hokkaido Prefectural Sports Center
* Block A Match: Hiroyoshi Tenzan vs. Doc Gallows
* Block A Match: Togi Makabe vs. Toru Yano
* Block A Match: Tetsuya Naito vs. Bad Luck Fale
* Block A Match: AJ Styles vs. Katsuyori Shibata
* Block A Match: Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Kota Ibushi

July 23 (Thursday) 18:30 JST: Shizuoka Twin Messe Shizuoka
* Block B Match: Satoshi Kojima vs. Tomohiro Ishii
* Block B Match: Hirooki Goto vs. Yujiro Takahashi
* Block B Match: Yuji Nagata vs. Tomoaki Honma
* Block B Match: Kazuchika Okada vs. Michael Elgin
* Block B Match: Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Karl Anderson

July 25 (Sat) 18:00 JST: Kagawa Prefecture, Takamatsu City Gymnasium
* Block B Match: Tomohiro Ishii vs. Yujiro Takahashi
* Block B Match: Satoshi Kojima vs. Michael Elgin
* Block B Match: Hirooki Goto vs. Karl Anderson
* Block B Match: Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Yuji Nagata
* Block B Match: Kazuchika Okada vs. Tomoaki Honma

July 26 (Sun) 18:00 JST: Hiroshima, Hiroshima Green Arena
* Block A Match: Doc Gallows vs. Bad Luck Fale
* Block A Match: Hiroyoshi Tenzan vs. Toru Yano
* Block A Match: Togi Makabe vs Katsuyori Shibata
* Block A Match: AJ Styles vs Kota Ibushi
* Block A Match: Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Tetsuya Naito

July 28 (Tuesday) 18:30 JST: Oita Beppu Beacon Plaza
* Block B Match: Yuji Nagata vs. Yujiro Takahashi
* Block B Match: Hirooki Goto vs. Tomoaki Honma
* Block B Match: Tomohiro Ishii vs. Karl Anderson
* Block B Match: Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Michael Elgin
* Block B Match: Kazuchika Okada vs. Satoshi Kojima

July 29 (Wed) 18:30 JST: Fukuoka, Fukuoka Kokusai Center
* Block A Match: Toru Yano vs. Doc Gallows
* Block A Match: Togi Makabe vs. Hiroyoshi Tenzan
* Block A Match: Katsuyori Shibata vs. Kota Ibushi
* Block A Match: Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Bad Luck Fale
* Block A Match: AJ Styles vs. Tetsuya Naito

August 1 (Sat) 17:00 JST: Osaka, Osaka Prefectural Gymnasium
* Block B Match: Satoshi Kojima vs. Yujiro Takahashi
* Block B Match: Yuji Nagata vs. Karl Anderson
* Block B Match: Michael Elgin vs. Tomoaki Honma
* Block B Match: Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Tomohiro Ishii
* Block B Match: Kazuchika Okada vs. Hirooki Goto

August 2 (Sun) 16:00 JST: Aichi Aichi Prefectural Gymnasium
* Block A Match: Hiroyoshi Tenzan vs. Kota Ibushi
* Block A Match: Katsuyori Shibata vs. Bad Luck Fale
* Block A Match: AJ Styles vs. Doc Gallows
* Block A Match: Togi Makabe vs. Tetsuya Naito
* Block A Match: Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Toru Yano

August 4 (Tuesday) 18:30 JST: Sendai, Miyagi Sun Plaza Hall
* Block B Match: Michael Elgin vs. Yujiro Takahashi
* Block B Match: Satoshi Kojima vs.Tomoaki Honma
* Block B Match: Yuji Nagata vs. Tomohiro Ishii
* Block B Match: Kazuchika Okada vs. Karl Anderson
* Block B Match: Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Hirooki Goto

August 5 (Wed.) 18:30 JST: Iwate, Iwate industry Cultural Center Apio
* Block A Match: Hiroyoshi Tenzan vs. Bad Luck Fale
* Block A Match: Katsuyori Shibata vs. Toru Yano
* Block A Match: Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Doc Gallows
* Block A Match: Togi Makabe vs. AJ Styles
* Block A Match: Tetsuya Naito vs Kota Ibushi

August 7 (Fri) 18:30 JST: Shizuoka Act City Hamamatsu
* Block B Match: Yuji Nagata vs. Michael Elgin
* Block B Match: Tomoaki Honma vs. Karl Anderson
* Block B Match: Satoshi Kojima vs. Hirooki Goto
* Block B Match: Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Yujiro Takahashi
* Block B Match: Kazuchika Okada vs. Tomohiro Ishii

August 8 (Sat) 18:30 JST: Kanagawa Yokohama Cultural Gymnasium
* Block A Match: Kota Ibushi vs. Bad Luck Fale
* Block A Match: Tetsuya Naito vs. Toru Yano
* Block A Match: Hiroyoshi Tenzan vs. AJ Styles
* Block A Match: Togi Makabe vs. Doc Gallows
* Block A Match: Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Katsuyori Shibata

August 9 (Sun) 18:30 JST: Tokyo Korakuen Hall
* Block B Match: Michael Elgin vs. Karl Anderson
* Block B Match: Satoshi Kojima vs Yuji Nagata
* Block B Match: Kazuchika Okada vs. Yujiro Takahashi
* Block B Match: Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Tomoaki Honma
* Block B Match: Hirooki Goto vs. Tomohiro Ishii

August 11 (Tuesday) 18:30 JST: Tokyo Korakuen Hall
* Block A Match: Tetsuya Naito vs. Doc Gallows
* Block A Match: Hiroyoshi Tenzan vs. Katsuyori Shibata
* Block A Match: Kota Ibushi vs. Toru Yano
* Block A Match: AJ Styles vs. Bad Luck Fale
* Block A Match: Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Togi Makabe

August 12 (Wed.) 18:30 JST: Tokyo Korakuen Hall
* Block B Match: Karl Anderson vs. Yujiro Takahashi
* Block B Match: Hirooki Goto vs. Michael Elgin
* Block B Match: Satoshi Kojima vs. Shinsuke Nakamura
* Block B Match: Kazuchika Okada vs. Yuji Nagata
* Block B Match: Tomoaki Honma vs. Tomohiro Ishii

August 14 (Fri.) 18:30 JST: Tokyo Ryogoku Kokugikan
* Block A Match: Toru Yano vs. Bad Luck Fale
* Block A Match: Katsuyori Shibata vs. Doc Gallows
* Block A Match: Hiroyoshi Tenzan vs, Tetsuya Naito
* Block A Match: Togi Makabe vs. Kota Ibushi
* Block A Match: Hiroshi Tanahashi vs AJ Styles

August 15 (Sat) 18:30 JST: Tokyo Ryogoku Kokugikan
* Block B Match: Michael Elgin vs. Tomohiro Ishii
* Block B Match: Tomoaki Honma vs. Yujiro Takahashi
* Block B Match: Yuji Nagata vs. Hirooki Goto
* Block B Match: Satoshi Kojima vs. Karl Anderson
* Block B Match: Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Kazuchika Okada

August 16 (Sun) 15:00 JST: Tokyo Ryogoku Kokugikan (Final)
* G1 Climax 25 Final: Block A winner vs. Block B winner

Other than the main matches, Makabe vs. Yano has the potential to be fun as they are former tag partners, also Makabe vs. Shibata is a rematch from WK7. Ibushi vs. Fale might be a unique big/little man match, and all of the Bullet Club vs. Bullet Club and CHAOS vs. CHAOS matches are always intriguing. I'm also very interested to see how Elgin gets over...he's got a very Scott Norton-esque look and style, which I think will mesh very well with the New Japan fans. Him vs. other power-based guys like Goto, Kojima, and especially Ishii will be very interesting.

Cagey

Banned
I don't have time for western RPGs and their Brooklyn Brawler-levels of quality. Same thing with Demon/Dark Souls. zzzzzzzzzzzzz

High five, Professor.

Also, I'm not creative. I don't want to make my own god damn journey. Give me the damn story and let me play on the rails and some illusions of choice.

I'll often go to bat for Platinum but not with this one, the online was near dead on arrival which is pretty problematic when that's the main focus.

Sunny just made uncharted has no beefy dudes.

I love gears
Uncharted 3 has plenty of beefy dudes like twice the size or Drake that come with a gravitational pull that locks you into a QTE fist fight with them.

Anth0ny

Mass Effect
Fall Out
Sky Rim

Mass Effect 1 elevators drove me nuts so I quit. Skyrim had some glitch early on that made me quit too. And Fallout just looked... well... bleak.

edit:

I bought the Mass Effect trilogy for $7.50 during a sale. I struggled through Mass Effect 1. Boring as fuck. Mass Effect 2 was longer and even more boring. Considering forcing myself through 3 just to get it over with, but god damn, these are not my kind of games. I can't fathom how people gave Mass Effect 1 and 2 GOTY over Mario Galaxy 1 and 2.

http://howlongtobeat.com/

This site seems useful. I really don't have much time to play so if a game is long it better be fucking good.

I think I will try Gears of War Judgment and Dishonored next. Don't seem too long.

Best site ever. Feels great to know how long each game is that you're about to tackle. I've been using it for over a year now, total lifesaver. I've brought my backlog from 100+ down to 3 games thanks to that site.

High five, Professor.

Also, I'm not creative. I don't want to make my own god damn journey. Give me the damn story and let me play on the rails and some illusions of choice.

Yeah that reminds me that everyone has a boner for open world bullshit right now. Nobody even knows what they're asking for when they suggest a game be open world, unless they want it to be terrible.

Cagey

Banned
Yeah that reminds me that everyone has a boner for open world bullshit right now. Nobody even knows what they're asking for when they suggest a game be open world, unless they want it to be terrible.

Every open world is the same! Let's walk into this NPC's house and hunt for some cool shit oh man he's got a used shoehorn, some gum, and an empty pack of cigarillos in his nightstand, time to take that and add it to my inventory in case I run into a shoe cobbler NPC in 32 hours that needs a shoehorn.

Every open world is the same! Let's walk into this NPC's house and hunt for some cool shit oh man he's got a used shoehorn, some gum, and an empty pack of cigarillos in his nightstand, time to take that and add it to my inventory in case I run into a shoe cobbler NPC in 32 hours that needs a shoehorn.

You forgot then being over-encumbered with the furnishings of a small mansion and spending the next 10 minutes filtering through your horde of mostly useless tat.
This being after the mandatory lock picking minigame of course!

jmdajr

GoW:J wasn't as bad as people made it out to be. I had fun with it... although getting it for only $5 is factored in.

I got it for "free" with games with gold. Same with Dishonered/Witcher2/Just Cause 2.

jmdajr

You forgot then being over-encumbered with the furnishings of a small mansion and spending the next 10 minutes filtering through your horde of mostly useless tat.
This being after the mandatory lock picking minigame of course!

God damn that fucking mini turret game in Bioshock 1. I don't even know why I bothered.
Bioshock infinite seemed to have a lot less bullshit in it. Enjoyed it more.

I started Wicther 2 and was already annoyed with all the god damn items.

I did enjoy DiabloIII but I just fucking dismantle every fucking thing I get. If I'm not fucking wearing it, it's gone. Same with Destiny. I just get rid of crap I don't need,

Maybe it matters more at higher level but the pack rack shit drives me nuts.

Top Bottom