• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June Wrasslin' |OT| Layin' the law, once again, prepare for war. C! Z! W!

strobogo

Banned
I would join the CZW party, but I'm trying not to drink, and I try not to do things that are going to make me want to drink and then think all day about getting a drink until I go out and put down a liter of whiskey in 2 nights. When I start thinking I need a drink, it is really hard to get that thought out of my head, so I'm trying not to watch things that would put that thought there.

But I get that way with everything. I'll think about ice cream and I'll think about it for 8 hours until I can think no more and go buy me some ice cream. Or fast food. Or whatever.

God damn Giant Baba sucks. He has the ring psychology of Matt Morgan with the endurance of 90s Andre and the physical build of a holocaust victim.

Watch Baba vs Destroyer. In his youth, Baba was dope. His body was really broken down even by the early 80s. Maybe even late 70s. But late 60s and early mid 70s stuff of him is pretty rad.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I would join the CZW party, but I'm trying not to drink, and I try not to do things that are going to make me want to drink and then think all day about getting a drink until I go out and put down a liter of whiskey in 2 nights. When I start thinking I need a drink, it is really hard to get that thought out of my head, so I'm trying not to watch things that would put that thought there.

But I get that way with everything. I'll think about ice cream and I'll think about it for 8 hours until I can think no more and go buy me some ice cream. Or fast food. Or whatever.

Perhaps what would be fun is watching an event together, with one person taking notes, and then perhaps SHOOKCASTING a review of it.

Perhaps. This may keep you sober.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
White knighting is the dumbest fucking term and should really be put to rest.

Glad I have more excuses for more Martin
DKXp2T6.png

strobogo

Banned
SHOWS I REALLY ENJOYED WATCHING IN THE EARLY TO MID 90s

X-Men
Batman TAS
Martin
The Wayans Bros
In Living Color
Reruns of Sanford and Son
Family Matters
Salute Your Shorts
Jeopardy
The Jamie Foxx Show
Reruns of Superfriends that aired at like midnight on Cartoon Network
Anything with Charles Barkley

jmdajr

X-Men
Batman TAS
Martin

The Wayans Bros
In Living Color
Family Matters
Salute Your Shorts
Jeopardy
The Jamie Foxx Show

Watched all those...

X-Men
Batman TAS
Martin
The Wayans Bros
In Living Color
Family Matters
Salute Your Shorts
Jeopardy
The Jamie Foxx Show

Power Rangers is an odd omission.

Hasney

I'm becoming more of a fan of Shawn Michaels every time I see a PPV with him on it. I don't know if he thinks about his stuff or if his instincts are in the right place, but he got everything down in such a solid way. It never feels like he is there to do anything other than entertain the people watching the match. This probably changes at some point in his career given his problems with Brett, but watching him on the early 90s, it never feels it is about him.

He is great at what he does and, at the same time, he is great at making the other guy look strong. Isn't afraid at all to look goofy or to score the cheapest of wins and, at the end, he is constantly doing some little thing to keep your attention, there's always something about his maneirism that he is never in a neutral state.

Quickly becoming one of my all time favorites.

Watch his ladder match at No Mercy 2008 against Jericho. One of my favourite HBK non-Wrestlemania matches, excluding his well-known classic against Mankind at Mind Games.

Ugv2mwl.jpg

Go to hell WWE, my dad is on the run from the law somewhere in the Carribbean.
Tell your lazy fucking network marketing department to fix their stupid image, I can tell that cell phone was left off the original mock up.

Hasney

Ugv2mwl.jpg

Go to hell WWE, my dad is on the run from the law somewhere in the Carribbean.
Tell your lazy fucking network marketing department to fix their stupid image, I can tell that cell phone was left off the original mock up.

lol, why didn't they put the phone in that space to the left of the TV and above the PS4?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
SHOOKCAST talk:

With the Shookcast I want it to be able to stand on the same platform a lot of enjoyable podcasts are on and meet their standards, while giving us a unique spot to bring something new to the table.

In my mind here's what I envision, the bare-bones skeleton of a Shookcast--

- Approx 1 hour long, but not STRICT

- Discuss 'evergreen' content - no news, nothing time-sensitive - reviewing a particular show is what I personally look for in a wrestling podcast

- No gimmicks. Be yo self. Even me. By being yourself your own natural gimmick will shine through and as long as you're not a piece of shit, someone will like you

- No strict schedule. Life is hard for grown-ass people and shit happens. No specific timetable. Absolutely NOT more than once a week, and honestly, once a week would be a miracle

- Limit of 3 at the most on the show. At least 2 static hosts if not all 3. One person clearly leading the conversation

- Listener participation segment - I don't mean like having people ON the show to do things, but a simple "guess the promo/wrestler/etc" sort of "game" on the show for two of the staff to do that people can mentally play along with at home is fun and people enjoy them. Much like for gaming podcasts a "guess the game" where they play a brief clip, etc

- Audio only. This may just be me, but I've never, EVER understood the appeal of talking heads. I would like the episode, with a nice overlay, to be on Youtube though for people who consume content via youtube.

- No in-jokes beyond the show itself - no referencing gaf threads, etc. It needs to be accessible so Little Jimmy discovers the Shookcast and can feel at home from day one

- Don't beg to be on the show, because there has to be a natural connection with the hosts and adding people who want to be on but maybe don't have that connection can spell death. Usually it takes about 10 episodes to iron it out so people are familiar with each other, though

- Review individual shows - and it can be anything wrestling related. From 1990s WCW Family Feud episodes to Donahue vs Dave Meltzer to friggin anything, it doesn't have to actually be a collection of wrestling matches.

- I will be happy to pay to host the show and promote it, I do not need to be on the show if the people on it understand and share the same vision

- Strobogo really should be on the show. Mandatory. Your wealth of wrestling knowledge is amazing and you have strong opinions. I don't want to discuss the other people because we're not picking teams here and I don't want people to feel shitty if they're not the ones picked. Not everyone fits the same vision.

Those are most of the things I see in my mind. I've got more, surely, and I can elaborate another time, but all of these things, to me, represent the ideal kind of show I would listen to and would want to listen to. I'm not making any bones about the fact that this is catered to me - but I think it's pretty universal that everyone would enjoy based on those core values.

I'm honestly looking forward to what everyone thinks of something like this.

strobogo

Banned
Power Rangers is an odd omission.

Fuck, you're right. I was super into Power Rangers, but only MMPR.

Other omissions:

The Cosby Show (Ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuddddddddddddddyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy)
Rosanne
Fresh Prince

Shows I hated:

Frasier
Frasier
Frasier
Frasier
Mama's Family
Mad About You
Rugrats
Friends

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Also I want to reiterate that anyone can start a show if they want and if people love it, I'll endorse it - even if it is different. If you wanna do the WrassleGAF Community Jamboree and it's 3 hours of 6 people laughing and you guys have fun, go for it. I've just got a little spot in my heart for the Shookcast.

Music streaming is great for legally previewing albums but complete shit for actually compensating artists, especially if they're not big names getting millions of plays every month and have the leverage to command better deals.

jmdajr

The money for musicians these days is in merch and live shows. Music(digital/CDs/etc) is basically just a business card now.

edit:Well, maybe Katy Perry makes some, but that's because she sells a ridiculous amount. But Michael Jackson bank? No way.

edit edit: Katy Perry might actually be good with her money though.

Carnby

Dat Thacker thread. I've butted heads with his ego in the past. I'm surprised it took this long to have a meltdown where others don't slightly agree with him.

TL21xx

Banned
Shookcast sounds good Sunny, looking forward to seeing what happens with it. If you want/need an intro tag or logo, I may be able to assist. </shameless_plug>

gurudyne

Checked out that Lionel Mandrake appreciation thread and I can't believe we're coming up on the one year anniversary of the Green Door Saga. Time flies.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Checked out that Lionel Mandrake appreciation thread and I can't believe we're coming up on the one year anniversary of the Green Door Saga. Time flies.

I moved last month. I owe $3k in damages. Fucking sucks. Wish I'd never left.

Shookcast sounds good Sunny, looking forward to seeing what happens with it. If you want/need an intro tag or logo, I may be able to assist. </shameless_plug>

Will keep it in mind~

PInk Tape

Banned
I would like to say that if any of you do a podcast or anything else, I'll totally support it.
Also, I'm sort of curious in seeing bad deathmatch wrestling that would question why I'm actually watching it..

Fucking christ. Just listened to the new Observer Radio and it sounds like Daniel Bryan is going to wrestle at Money in the Bank whether he should or not. That's just who he is, and he's apparently miserable right now not wrestling.

Sblargh

Banned
Fucking christ. Just listened to the new Observer Radio and it sounds like Daniel Bryan is going to wrestle at Money in the Bank whether he should or not. That's just who he is, and he's apparently miserable right now not wrestling.

This would be the ideal time to have a boss who doesn't agee with him.

X-Men
Batman TAS
Martin
The Wayans Bros
In Living Color
Family Matters
Salute Your Shorts
Jeopardy
The Jamie Foxx Show

No joke, this, Challenge of the Superfriends, and Galactic Guardians were the reasons I got into comics.

jmdajr

I am loving all of these way too much.
-
On unrelated off-topic news, it's amazing my capacity to save money when I know I'll be out of a paycheck soon. Why didn't I had this amazing financial consciousness for the past two years? I would be able to buy WWE by now.

I've thought same. Don't really regret spending money on vacations as those are great experiences I'll always remember. But say games on the shelf I will never finish? Even 20 bucks is too much for that.

I've saved way more than most everybody I know but even then, it could have been better!

Top Bottom