• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June Wrasslin' |OT| Layin' the law, once again, prepare for war. C! Z! W!

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
And you wonder why you hate wrestling. It ain't WWE doing it to you.
I haven't watch Smackdown in years an I haven't watched Raw since the Kane horror show. TNA is complete trash again, DG and DDT are still fun. New Japan has been having a stale year, BOSJ was dope though. Wrestling and I just need some time apart.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Quite frankly, I'm offended you've chosen to opt out of suffering with us.

I suffer in my own ways
tumblr_n50fy7AkHF1tt2jjyo1_500.png

201107010004-spnavi_2011070100005_view.jpg

tumblr_n5t9nabmR41r89qoso1_500.png

Alucard

Banned
Honestly, I could stop watching wrestling tomorrow and it wouldn't really affect much. I watch it because I needed a hobby to pass my free time after a day or work and family commitments. Video games got boring and I'm too tired to read at the end of the day. So wrestling it is.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE wrestling, but there are way more important things in life. It's also hard to care when the major promotion is putting me to sleep on a weekly basis.

WWE is shittily bland right now, and TNA is garbage television. Given those facts, I've been watching old Ring of Honor DVDS and asking for Japanese wrestling suggestions here. Gotta find the good and remind yourself of how great this form of entertainment can be during these bullshit times in the WWE and TNA.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The food death match with Great Sasuke and Jun Kasai vs The Brahman Brothers is probably the most disgusting thing I've ever seen in professional wrestling. Or it's up there at least. And it's not just because of the Brahman Brothers dressed up as the KKK.

Morally speaking. Throwing live animals at each other and suplexing each other onto squids/crabs/etc. It's why this shit is called garbage wrestling, even if it's supposed to be a 'joke.'

Sblargh

Banned
I won't give up. I find the genre too interesting now. And there's still plenty of old stuff to watch. Network is perfect for me because I'm a noob. But starting to follow wrestle took me ending a long term relationship, moving back to live with my mom, depression, antidepressants and being tricked into thinking the WWE documentaries were actually documentaries and not propaganda.

So the best hope WWE have is for the US to keep bankrupting so people keep moving back into their parent's houses while still having money for antidepressants and netflix. I don't know someone who is happy, mentally healthy and feeling like life is moving forward would start following wrestling.

Actually I do, because it is so interesting, it is storytelling through fake-fighting, I find it amazing and I want to preach it to the world, but I wish I could recommend RAW to people without being afraid someone will get Vince's poop jokes on their first episode and give up forever

I won't give up. I find the genre too interesting now. And there's still plenty of old stuff to watch. Network is perfect for me because I'm a noob. But starting to follow wrestle took me ending a long term relationship, moving back to live with my mom, depression, antidepressants and being tricked into thinking the WWE documentaries were actually documentaries and not propaganda.

So the best hope WWE have is for the US to keep bankrupting so people keep moving back into their parent's houses while still having money for antidepressants and netflix. I don't know someone who is happy, mentally healthy and feeling like life is moving forward would start following wrestling.

Actually I do, because it is so interesting, it is storytelling through fake-fighting, I find it amazing and I want to preach it to the world, but I wish I could recommend RAW to people without being afraid someone will get Vince's poop jokes on their first episode and give up forever

Wow, I came back into the fold under very similar circumstances.

Long term relationship ended, shitty times ensued, found myself with free time and caught RAW while channel surfing. Been cursed since.

Alucard

Banned

I want to share wrestling with people too, but let's face it, it's never consistently good enough these days to get someone new into it. Why would someone who has never cared about it want to sit down and watch a THREE-HOUR show every week which only has 30-45 minutes of good content?

I'm always hopeful that when my wife walks by while I'm watching wrestling that it will be something interesting that will maybe get her asking me questions...but it's usually something stupid or a Divas match with a lot of screaming. Either I have terrible luck, or the majority of pro wrestling programming just isn't appealing and is actually garbage TV.

Alucard

Banned
Wow, I came back into the fold under very similar circumstances.

Long term relationship ended, shitty times ensued, found myself with free time and caught RAW while channel surfing. Been cursed since.

Wrestling: for single men who have had their hearts ripped out by the opposite sex...so they can keep having their hearts ripped out week by week.

All I have is my brother and you guys for my wrestling talk. The amount of times I get asked, "you know it's fake right?" Makes me wanna John Stossel a muhfucka.

Guys I don't think wrestling's cool anymore :(

Heel

I invite you to jump off the sinking ship into a life raft with a hole in it, Duncan and friends. Join us in 2 hours for UFC 174 in which Andre Arlovski is fighting on pay-per-view in 2014.

Alucard

Banned
All I have is my brother and you guys for my wrestling talk. The amount of times I get asked, "you know it's fake right?" Makes me wanna John Stossel a muhfucka.

It's on the cusp of being cool again, but Dixie Carter and Vince are trying to stop it from being so.

I invite you to jump off the sinking ship into a life raft with a hole in it, Duncan and friends. Join us in 2 hours for UFC 174 in which Andre Arlovski is fighting on pay-per-view in 2014.

That guy was dope in UniSol 3

You're not a fan of Chikara? :) I'm legit asking. I don't have strong feelings one way or the other towards them because of a lack of exposure to them.

I enjoyed the older stuff and King of Trios but was really turned off with the "shutdown" and whatnot. They seem to be doing better so good for them.

strobogo

Banned

Sounds more like a piece of wood floating in the water than a life raft with a hole in it.

Wrestling: for single men who have had their hearts ripped out by the opposite sex...so they can keep having their hearts ripped out week by week.

Why only straight men, Alucard? For shame.

Wrestling's not cool but don't worry, Roman Reigns will leads us into the new boom period.

Alucard

Banned

LOL. I don't follow UFC, but is this the guy who failed drug testing but then sent a bunch of self-administered tests to convince the doping people that he wasn't on steroids?

Not a fan of UFC. :-/

Vylash

UFC is literally a promotion built around rest holds, I'm bored just talking about it. Not that wrestling is all that much better

Alucard

Banned
Why only straight men, Alucard? For shame.

Wrestling's not cool but don't worry, Roman Reigns will leads us into the new boom period.

Typically, it's straight men. Noooone of my gay friends like or have ever liked wrestling. Not saying that gay men and women don't watch wrestling, but I don't think it's a stretch to say it's a pretty straight-focused form of entertainment. The male/female roles are still pretty steeped in macho bullshit and sexism. IMO.

Aiii

So not worth it

I will be there, if I can find a decent lamp. Hopefully something in HD.

strobogo

Banned
I think I'm tapping out of WWF 1994. Shit is garbage. So much garbage that I'd much rather watch WCW 1995. I was trying to stay mostly in line by going through everything year by year, but those 1994 Raws are just the worst.

I'm probably going to switch to baseball from pro wrestling. There's a lot of Wrasslegaffers in the MLB thread and they leave their gimmicks at the door and let their true personas shine through.

More than WWE Network being a worthless pile of horse dung, is this feeling of humiliation and anger at being so stupid as to fall for this con and open my wallet to them . I'll never forgive WWE for making me feel this way.

I think I'm tapping out of WWF 1994. Shit is garbage. So much garbage that I'd much rather watch WCW 1995.

That Bret vs 123 Kid match I saw the other day was incredible. All I watch are Bret matches on the Network and I'm having an alright time.

That Benoit/Malenko match during Hog Wild 96 surprisingly put me to sleep. But maybe cause I was tired that day I dunno.

Typically, it's straight men. Noooone of my gay friends like or have ever liked wrestling. Not saying that gay men and women don't watch wrestling, but I don't think it's a stretch to say it's a pretty straight-focused form of entertainment. The male/female roles are still pretty steeped in macho bullshit and sexism. IMO.

There are more ladies watching than you think. It's literally about a bunch of dudes in their underwear getting sweaty and grappling each other. (or women if you don't blink and see the 4 minute matches.) Entertainment for everyone.

I agree with Raw still being pretty terrible when it comes to gender but NXT is nice. Eventually they'll have to bring that line of thinking to the main shows, right?

Phatmac

I'm done watching RAW unless it gets better. I still have NXT which is great. The World Cup will keep me busy during these difficult times.

Heel

I'm probably going to switch to baseball from pro wrestling. There's a lot of Wrasslegaffers in the MLB thread and they leave their gimmicks at the door and let their true personas shine through.

More than WWE Network being a worthless pile of horse dung, is this feeling of humiliation and anger at being so stupid as to fall for this con and open my wallet to them . I'll never forgive WWE for making me feel this way.

I've considered starting a community centered around the television tour de force known as COPS. There's something incredibly compelling about the fear in a man's eye as he's asked to remove his shoes, knowing full well he has black tar heroin tucked between his toes.

What do you think, friend? I value your opinion.

Aiii

So not worth it
Seriously though, just Dillashaw versus Barao at UFC 173 blew everything wrestling has done since Mania out of the water.

somedevil

I'm done watching RAW unless it gets better. I still have NXT which is great. The World Cup will keep me busy during these difficult times.

Man, I wonder how this topic was during the 2010-2011 age when the show was a hell of a lot worst then compared to today. Its just hilarious.

I also try to imagine if this topic existed during Raw 2002-2004 when it was non PG and so much worse than anything they put on now today.

Alucard

Banned
Just popped this into my DVD player:
ROH+Best+In+The+World+DVD.jpg

Haven't watched it in a few years, and I remember loving it as a pro wrestling package when I first watched it. The match selection is as follows:

Bryan Danielson vs. Lance Storm (2006)
Takeshi Morishima vs. Nigel McGuinness (2007)
The Briscoes vs. Naruki Doi and Shingo (2007...still shocked that ROH worked with DG guys at any point)
Claudio Castagnoli vs. El Generico (2007)
Samoa Joe vs. Kenta Kobashi (2005...chop city. Watching it now. First match on the show)
AJ Styles and Matt Sydal vs. Dragon Kid and Genki Horiguchi (2006...again, more DG @_@)
KENTA vs. Austin Aries (2006)
Samoa Joe vs. Kikutaro with Mick Foley (2005...comedy match)
CM Punk vs. Terry Funk (2003...I remember this being tough to watch due to spots)

Alucard

Banned
There are more ladies watching than you think. It's literally about a bunch of dudes in their underwear getting sweaty and grappling each other. (or women if you don't blink and see the 4 minute matches.) Entertainment for everyone.

I agree with Raw still being pretty terrible when it comes to gender but NXT is nice. Eventually they'll have to bring that line of thinking to the main shows, right?

Based on anecdotal evidence from attending Ring of Honor shows, I can say with certainty that indie wrestling is definitely much more male-focused.

I'm hopeful that you're right about the NXT mindset moving over to the WWE, but I just don't see it as Vince is obsessed with creating a variety show instead of a wrestling show, which is what NXT actually is.

CZW hasn't been built around death matches for a long long time now.

Didn't know that. How prevalent are they today?

Yep. Psyched to watch England/Italy as a neutral fan. And Costa Rica whaaaaat.

strobogo

Banned
That Bret vs 123 Kid match I saw the other day was incredible. All I watch are Bret matches on the Network and I'm having an alright time.

That Benoit/Malenko match during Hog Wild 96 surprisingly put me to sleep. But maybe cause I was tired that day I dunno.

No doubt, that's an outstanding match. But the majority of Raws have shit like IRS sweating to death in squash matches, King's Court, unbelievably terrible "topical' commentary. It's so bad. Every bad era has a few gems, but not enough to watch all of it to get to them.

Top Bottom