• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jurassic GAF |OT| The Park is closed, the World is open

So, I know people are (rightfully) bitter towards Hasbro, but these new 'Dino Hybrids' are a huge step up. While mostly repaints, the few new sculpts and retools are more detailed and overall nicer looking.

Also, the paint applications are way more detailed and inspired.

reP3HSy.jpg
GfiLs3D.jpg

rqxs5Cm.jpg
aL0Yo13.jpg

QGyX1Ye.jpg
yfc20q0.jpg

4tWvxIx.jpg
E5JOodV.jpg

vTP6Tfg.jpg
ZTXdo0b.jpg

Well, mostly good.

Not sure what's going on with these two:

Lately I've been repainting my Horizon T-Rex model with a more movie like paintjob since the old one looked too wrong. It might be amateurish since it's only the third time I painted a model, the first painting of it included.

Good job, especially for not doing it very often! That really does capture the look of the rex.

Eyes can be difficult, but I suggest using a glossier paint to bring some extra life and depth into it, while differentiating the texture.

Amalthea

Banned
Eyes can be difficult, but I suggest using a glossier paint to bring some extra life and depth into it, while differentiating the texture.
That's what I did but the effect just doesn't seems to "pop"... Maybe I'll add some more layers of glossy finish on the eyes.
I'm just glad she now looks like she should, largely.

The new electronic Raptor looks pretty cool btw., kinda like in the Lost World novel. Dig that.

So, I know people are (rightfully) bitter towards Hasbro, but these new 'Dino Hybrids' are a huge step up. While mostly repaints, the few new sculpts and retools are more detailed and overall nicer looking.

Also, the paint applications are way more detailed and inspired.

Well, mostly good.

Not sure what's going on with these two:

Good job, especially for not doing it very often! That really does capture the look of the rex.

An actual human figure... should have been in the line day 1.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Hopefully Jurassic world 2s line of toys is good and not a afterthought like wave one was for JW.

I just hope they bring back the rubbery texture for some. These ones... I really couldn't find any I liked. The only pieces of JW merch I got was a pillow from Walmart (needed a pillow anyways...) and a giant I Rex arcade price, which I do really really like :)

That's what I did but the effect just doesn't seems to "pop"... Maybe I'll add some more layers of glossy finish on the eyes.
I'm just glad she now looks like she should, largely.

Yeah, she looks good!

As for the eyes, it'll probably take some experimentation as it varies with paint type and color.

The new electronic Raptor looks pretty cool btw., kinda like in the Lost World novel. Dig that.
+
An actual human figure... should have been in the line day 1.
+
Hopefully Jurassic world 2s line of toys is good and not a afterthought like wave one was for JW.
+
Ditto for tie-in games.

The gears behind the scenes are slowly turning, and hopefully leading to improvements in these departments.

do you think JW2 will be rated R?

No way in hell, there's no need.

Well, it does suck that we cannot get TLW level violence anymore with PG 13 though. That said, it's always so inconsistent. Colin Trevorrow said they had to remove wounds from the Indominus Rex, but then you have other PG 13 movies kill people in fun but horribly graphic ways.

Jurassic Park doesn't need gore, or heavy violence, but it does need some good kills and some good terror.

Yeah, she looks good!

As for the eyes, it'll probably take some experimentation as it varies with paint type and color.

+

+

+

The gears behind the scenes are slowly turning, and hopefully leading to improvements in these departments.
I was pretty disappointed because
#1 the JP1 humans and vehicles are to this day my favorite figures and line I ever bought(over Batman, Star Wars, etc) and im still collecting toys as an adult.

#2 it seemed like they played around the thought of using GI Joes as the base for a long time. This would have been perfect from a scale sense as well as already made molds.
at which point we could get stuff like
with literally zero effort on Hasbro's part.

In the end the humans were aferthoughts which runs counter to the entire JP franchise imo, and is just less interesting in a toy sense.

I was pretty disappointed because
#1 the JP1 humans and vehicles are to this day my favorite figures and line I ever bought(over Batman, Star Wars, etc) and im still collecting toys as an adult.

#2 it seemed like they played around the thought of using GI Joes as the base for a long time. This would have been perfect from a scale sense as well as already made molds.
at which point we could get stuff like

with literally zero effort on Hasbro's part.

In the end the humans were aferthoughts which runs counter to the entire JP franchise imo, and is just less interesting in a toy sense.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Classic Jurassic toys, and have a rather larger collection consisting of them. Those were some damn nice vehicles and humans.

But, the classic human JP toys were never the pinnacle of accuracy or articulation. This Owen figure hits about the same level of them, albiet at the smaller 3.75" scale.

Now sure, we know Hasbro can do better. They used to put out fantastically accurate and articulated 3.75" Star Wars and Joe toys. But look at The Force Awakens toys.. as of now, those days are over. They may make a resurgence, but this is on par with modern Hasbro offerings.

Especially when you consider it includes a 3.75" human, motorcycle, Velociraptor Blue & 2 'accessories'. All for $20.

In comparison, this costs $24.99:

oLB4vOo.jpg

Fingers crossed Owen is a success, and more humans and vehicles get greenlit. With time, the quality will hopefully see an increase, just as the 2015 to 2016 JW paint applications did.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Classic Jurassic toys, and have a rather larger collection consisting of them. Those were some damn nice vehicles and humans.

But, the classic human JP toys were never the pinnacle of accuracy or articulation. This Owen figure hits about the same level of them, albiet at the smaller 3.75" scale.

Now sure, we know Hasbro can do better. They used to put out fantastically accurate and articulated 3.75" Star Wars and Joe toys. But look at The Force Awakens toys.. as of now, those days are over. They may make a resurgence, but this is on par with modern Hasbro offerings.

Especially when you consider it includes a 3.75" human, motorcycle, Velociraptor Blue & 2 'accessories'. All for $20.

In comparison, this costs $24.99:
http://i.imgur.com/oLB4vOo.jpg

Fingers crossed Owen is a success, and more humans and vehicles get greenlit. With time, the quality will hopefully see an increase, just as the 2015 to 2016 JW paint applications did.

If Owen somewhat fits with the JP3 figures i will be completely satisfied.
I'd also buy a set that had the kids and the JP1 Jeep.

If Owen somewhat fits with the JP3 figures i will be completely satisfied.
I'd also buy a set that had the kids and the JP1 Jeep.

Yeah, I'm convinced he's 3.75" and not 4". I think they just rounded up in the press release to emphasize 'these aren't mini figures again'.

Universal is taking the Jurassic World (& Park!) license a lot more seriously now. Hasbro and retailers as well. The gears are turning in a way that is leading to some positive momentum. Although, I still expect some eye roll worthy hiccups along the way.

It's bizarre that this didn't happen sooner, but the brand - and Universal - is going through some growing pains. Fingers crossed it all works out.

Anyways, long story short, I'm hoping to see more 3.75" scaled humans and vehicles in the future - but I believe it won't be til the 2017 sustain program hits.

Jawmuncher

I hate those raptor poses and most of the other poses for that matter.

Why can't we get pivot points for more articulation?

Yeah that's the biggest issue I have had with a lot of the toys. They're figures more than toys which kind of ruins it. Especially when their mouth is permanently stuck open.

New BTS picture & info from Jurassic World The Exhibition!

wtWqM73.jpg

Ironically, that Pachyrhinosaurus (which was never in a movie) looks more like a Jurassic Park dinosaur than their Parasaurolophus and Brachiosaurus. And more than any of the new JW dinosaurs. I love it!

I'm guessing more info should hit soon considering the exhibition opens in a month.

In other news, check out these amazing Jurassic Park posters by Kilian Eng:

Sadly, only 15 were made for a private collection.. I'm wondering if they were licensed production gifts.

Oh, and can we mention how these three need to return in a sequel?

I appreciate JW kicking off a new leading cast, but I would like to see the classic cast returning in some sort of supporting fashion.

Jawmuncher

After the force awakens, I think Universal knows that keeping a bit more nostagia will help. Not like they need to be the main stars.

Amalthea

Banned
That Pachyrhino looks great. Much better than the Apatosaurus animatronic from JW. I actually wished years ago that they'd use animatronics like that in JP4 for less quick movements and remove the wheels digitally.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I couldn't even tell that was Sam Neil at first! He getting old and starting to look like a John Hammond there (especially with the beard).

Fuchsdh

Honestly in the past nostalgia-oriented movies I've seen (Star Wars, Jurassic Park, Star Trek reboot) I think that focusing on the old characters was to the detriment of the film. Just move on, and bring them in if it's relevant.

On the other hand, I think that my ideal Jurassic World recasting would have cut out almost all of that sequel-bricklaying and just focused on the new characters in the ruins of the old park, since they did almost nothing with the concept of the Jurassic World park being open anyhow.

Cafeman

I couldn't even tell that was Sam Neil at first! He getting old and starting to look like a John Hammond there (especially with the beard).

Would be funny in JW2, Grant shows up and somebody gasps, "it's John Hammond!". Followed by Grant's disgusted look.

Fuchsdh

After playing through LEGO Jurassic World, I guess my ideal Jurassic Park game would just be a true open world Isla Nublar. Really just a better version of Trespasser, although after playing Firewatch it does make me wish there was more actual navigation in your average open-world game instead of just following quest markers everywhere.

After playing through LEGO Jurassic World, I guess my ideal Jurassic Park game would just be a true open world Isla Nublar. Really just a better version of Trespasser, although after playing Firewatch it does make me wish there was more actual navigation in your average open-world game instead of just following quest markers everywhere.

That would be pretty nice, if done right.

Fingers crossed.

Universal Studios Japan has a new Jurassic Park ride coming soon, called 'The Flying Dinosaur '. What's cool is the Pteranodons design is an amalgamation of all three different film designs: physically taking most traits from Jurassic World and Jurassic Park 3, but then borrowing the color scheme from The Lost World

NkzBAMd.jpg

I strongly dislike the Jurassic World design, but I am in love with this one. Someone convince ILM & Legacy Effects to use it in the sequel please! This easily is my second favorite, falling behind TLW's.

And yes, Pteranodons are not dinosaurs, but rather are prehistoric reptiles. But honestly, "The Flying Reptile" just doesn't make a great ride name.

Jawmuncher

I gotta say even as a kid I never really cared for flying reptiles of any kind. Dunno why they have such a strong presence for the series. Are they that popular with others?

They're pretty fascinating, stunning animals.

Which is why I love the design from The Lost World the most

OtupZwO.jpg

It kills me there aren't any good HD pics of it.

bengraven

This is literally how my mind responded to this thread:

26TsDn6.jpg

^ It's pretty cool to see how complex the park was, wish we could have explored more of it. Would have been interesting to see a dino attack on a water park.

I don't get it. There's what looks like a stadium or maybe the IREX paddock, but where's the Trex enclosure? I don't see any thick forest near the front doors...

The Tyrannosaur enclosure is pretty small and planted fairly central in the park. Well, at least it made for an exciting finale.

But I don't see it...

They must have used an extension charm, because once you're inside..

RC2p4jG.jpg

So it IS supposed to be Trex paddock? No fucking way - it's too small, not forested, where's the log thing, etc...

strafer

This is literally how my mind responded to this thread:

I don't get it. There's what looks like a stadium or maybe the IREX paddock, but where's the Trex enclosure? I don't see any thick forest near the front doors...

But I don't see it...

So it IS supposed to be Trex paddock? No fucking way - it's too small, not forested, where's the log thing, etc...

Isn't that the Indominus paddock?

I don't believe you get a full look at the Tyrannosaur Kingdom during the film - only the ILM breakdown. So while it is pretty funny, on camera it really isn't an issue.

Isn't that the Indominus paddock?

No, the Indominus Paddock was situated on the northern end of the island, away from any of the attractions.

Bernbaum

^ Nice stuff. It'd be interesting to see the evolution of the Indominus design over the course of pre-production. I also see that there is a 'JP' logo on the gyrosphere - I wonder if some of these designs date back to when the project was tentatively named Jurassic Park 4.

^ Nice stuff. It'd be interesting to see the evolution of the Indominus design over the course of pre-production. I also see that there is a 'JP' logo on the gyrosphere - I wonder if some of these designs date back to when the project was tentatively named Jurassic Park 4.

Some of these are 100% JP4 ~ 2012 pieces.

I've seen art work from late 2012/early 2013 that resembles the final movie a lot more than this, actually. For instance, a Gyrosphere that looked like the final model, blue and all, but it said JP ATGV.

Or another keyframe of the monorail entering the Jurassic gates, which said Jurassic Park in blue. Nothing with orange JP colors.. and no early Giganotosaurus looking dinos.

Top Bottom