• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jurassic GAF |OT| The Park is closed, the World is open

when are we getting operation genesis 2? Sigh can someone just do a petition or something to atleast get their attention. They'd make alot of money on it.

I wonder if they'll get Michael Giacchino to score the movie or if Bayona has someone he works with.

I'm hoping for Giacchino because he did god's work on the first score (that new theme honestly is right up there with John's stuff, incredibly joyous and memorable), but Fernando Velasquez frequently teams with Bayona (he did both The Orphanage and The Impossible) so I would keep my eyes on him.

And if so, great. He's also fantastic.

strafer

when are we getting operation genesis 2? Sigh can someone just do a petition or something to atleast get their attention. They'd make alot of money on it.

Hopefully never.

I want a real AAA Jurassic Park game. Almost the caliber Trespasser was suppose to be.

a mix between Dead Space, Alien Isolation and The Last Of Us.

I was thinking about that a lot when playing The Last Of Us.

Exploring a jungle or whatnot with dinosaurs.

Could be really special.

Jawmuncher

Yeah, I do wish we'd get a real sequel. Thankfully the PC port is quite good, can be ran on low end computers, and still has a small mod community.

So I finally got around to seeing Jurassic World. It has it's moments but is mostly mediocre.

One thing is driving me nuts though. About 1:40:00 (I think) in the movie when Dr. Henry Wu is being extracted by helicopter, the guard says something like "You and the assets are being sent to a secure location." or something of that nature. That dudes voice, it sounds so familiar but I cannot for the life of me place it. A quick Google turns up nothing and it is driving me nuts. I recognize that voice from somewhere but I just can't think of it.

bengraven

Mesozoica is apparently nearly finished. Glad I kickstarted that.

And strafer, hush. OG was fucking awesome, despite being a bare bones sim.

Still not my first person open world game complete with driveable vehicles and science labs. I still want to drive a big camper around that works as a mobile base - basically I want to be able to free roam Site B like in the Lost World novel.

So, recently in a interview with elEconomista J.A. Bayona said he is currently immersing himself in the Jurassic Park novels - here is a translation I was able to get:

"Right now I'm reading all the novels of Michael Crichton to try to immerse myself in Crichton's mind" stated Bayona, when asked about Jurassic World 2. "[Crichton's books] have a vision of fantasy blended with reality - something that can also be felt in writings from authors such as Philip K. Dick"

One of the notable differences of the books is that they are much darker and grittier than their film adaptations - something many fans are expecting with Bayona at the helm. It seems likely that their blend of adventure, dark tension, and smart science will help inspire the tone of the new movie. This is further reinforced by his comparison he draws to Phillip K. Dick, whose work helped shape films such as Blade Runner, Total Recall, and Minority Report.

Interestingly enough, the novel of The Lost World is very different than the film, exploring Dodgson and his company BioSyns exploits of InGens dinosaurs, while a mysterious disease 'DX' begins to spread amonst the dinosaurs. Colin Trevorrow has said he would like to explore going 'open source', with new corporations experimenting with dinosaurs - perhaps some of the plot structure from Crichton's 'The Lost World' has inspired the story! While we can't know for sure, I can personally say that there are many moments from each book that I would love to see realized on screen.

Jawmuncher

There definitely would be a lot they could take from the lost world for a Jurassic world 2. Think I'm gonna reread it as well.

Apt101

I really want a JP cartoon. All 80's cheesy and stuff, with a cute raptor buddy and animated Chris Pratt doing wheelies.

Jawmuncher

I really want a JP cartoon. All 80's cheesy and stuff, with a cute raptor buddy and animated Chris Pratt doing wheelies.

Is take a guess that Universal probably wants Jurassic World 2 to open up a lot of space for cross media. Get a universe going that can easily handle shows, comics, and games.

I'd like to think so anyway. Off the top of my head it doesn't seem like universal has that sort of property.

So, recently in a interview with elEconomista J.A. Bayona said he is currently immersing himself in the Jurassic Park novels - here is a translation I was able to get:

One of the notable differences of the books is that they are much darker and grittier than their film adaptations - something many fans are expecting with Bayona at the helm. It seems likely that their blend of adventure, dark tension, and smart science will help inspire the tone of the new movie. This is further reinforced by his comparison he draws to Phillip K. Dick, whose work helped shape films such as Blade Runner, Total Recall, and Minority Report.

Interestingly enough, the novel of The Lost World is very different than the film, exploring Dodgson and his company BioSyns exploits of InGens dinosaurs, while a mysterious disease 'DX' begins to spread amonst the dinosaurs. Colin Trevorrow has said he would like to explore going 'open source', with new corporations experimenting with dinosaurs - perhaps some of the plot structure from Crichton's 'The Lost World' has inspired the story! While we can't know for sure, I can personally say that there are many moments from each book that I would love to see realized on screen.

That quote sounds very good. I'm very much of the opinion that going back to Crichton is the best idea, because they're never going to pull off exactly what Spielberg did again. Going all the way back to the core of it all and coming out with a new take on the material means they don't have to. And it could be really, really awesome.

Also, I seriously hope they do a take on the carnotaurs at the abandoned gas station scene from Lost World. That would be pretty fantastic on screen, especially if they're going with a more horror-skewed film.

Jawmuncher

I'm definitely all for more horror in Jurassic films. That was the one piece JW lacked. It was a good action film, but it never got very scary compared to some moments in JP1 and TLW.

So he havent read the novels before? There should be a law about reading the novels.

I take it that he's really engrossing himself in the material, absorbing every detail, not necessarily reading it for the first time.

That quote sounds very good. I'm very much of the opinion that going back to Crichton is the best idea, because they're never going to pull off exactly what Spielberg did again. Going all the way back to the core of it all and coming out with a new take on the material means they don't have to. And it could be really, really awesome.

Also, I seriously hope they do a take on the carnotaurs at the abandoned gas station scene from Lost World. That would be pretty fantastic on screen, especially if they're going with a more horror-skewed film.

I definitely agree that going back to the source is the best approach possible. While I do think certain tonal elements of JP should also be investigated, the books give a great feel of where to go.

I also would love to see the Carnotaurus scene, but I just can't see it making the cut after the Indominus stole the ability.

Jawmuncher

I take it that he's really engrossing himself in the material, absorbing every detail, not necessarily reading it for the first time.

I definitely agree that going back to the source is the best approach possible. While I do think certain tonal elements of JP should also be investigated, the books give a great feel of where to go.

I also would love to see the Carnotaurus scene, but I just can't see it making the cut after the Indominus stole the ability.

I was surprised how little they used the camoflague in JW. Hell most people forget she has it.

bengraven

I have a theory that dinosaurs are going to become huge again and in the next couple years.

Maybe not zombies huge, but brief return of vampires huge.

I'd explain it but I'm exhausted after a 13 hour work day.

Jawmuncher

I have a theory that dinosaurs are going to become huge again and in the next couple years.

Maybe not zombies huge, but brief return of vampires huge.

I'd explain it but I'm exhausted after a 13 hour work day.

Well I'll be waiting once you're rested for the post

I had the same thought, but damn, the idea of that scene is simultaneously scary as shit and fun to imagine. I've been wanting to see how it would look in real life for ages and it would be a shame if damn cuttlefish ruin it.

womp.gif

why are there never pre-made gifs of things I want gifs of

bengraven

Well I'll be waiting once you're rested for the post

I'm going to eat my stuffed dinosaur descendant here and watch a couple of episodes of Black Books then get some sleep and maybe I'll make something more comprehensive in the morning.

- our generation is getting to the point where we're spreading our love of things to our children - comic books (Marvel) and Star Wars comes to mind. Our generation fucking LOVED dinosaurs

- genre media is getting more interested in them - look at games like Ark, Stomping Lands and Mesozoica as well as that Sony robot dino game that I can't remember for the life of me. The Crytek dinosaur island demo. The Call of Duty dinosaurs rumors.

- JW being such a surprising success makes me think people are starving for dinosaurs

- it feels atmospherically like when zombies started to gain slowly in popularity over a few years until suddenly they were everywhere

- etc

Lol, yes he did. A surprising amount of lines are straight from the books. Say what want about the story, but unresearched he was not.

?

It's been a while since my last read through (maybe I should do another soon) and admittedly and I'm not nearly as retardedly adept at remembering book lines as I am film lines (which is kind of weird now that I think about it, I mean, shouldn't that be easier?) but I definitely didn't catch any direct lifts. I'm going to take a wild shot in the dark and say... Wu? He had a much bigger role in the first novel, so it would make sense they'd go back to that for World.

Or do you mean a lines that are inspired by the books, but not direct transplants?

Toa TAK

Banned
How do you feel if someone took a big nasty dump all over your favorite franchise?
Are you mad at Steven Speilberg and Joe Johnston, too?

I don't get you constant animosity towards Trevorrow. It's in almost every post you have towards the movie. Like, it's cool if you don't like it, a lot of people don't and for good reason, but they tend to move on, not hang around in the OT.

Are you mad at Steven Speilberg and Joe Johnston, too?

I don't get you constant animosity towards Trevorrow. It's in almost every post you have towards the movie. Like, it's cool if you don't like it, a lot of people don't and for good reason, but they tend to move on, not hang around in the OT.

Did Spielberg try to fuck up the science behind the dinosaurs on purpose? Did Joe Johnston go out of his way to fuck up the science behind the dinosaurs? No.

Let me guess, you're going to point out the Velociraptor size even though it was an actual paleontology mistake at the time.

I still happen to enjoy the first movie, so this OT is as relevant to me as anything.

Sesha

Sounds like how the plots of Resident Evil and Metal Gear Solid developed after RE4 and MGS1. Makes sense. The new InGen is a lot like the Umbrella Corporation. Giant multi-national conglomerate that makes consumer products while engaging in genetics research and experiments, has a private security/military division, employs top scientists with hidden agendas, CEO gets killed by his own out-of-control creation, etc.

Jurassic World was a disappointing movie about a bad director with no discipline getting to play with his favorite nineties movie monsters, I wouldn't call it a dinosaur movie at all.

Toa TAK

Banned
Did Spielberg try to fuck up the science behind the dinosaurs on purpose? Did Joe Johnston go out of his way to fuck up the science behind the dinosaurs? No.

Let me guess, you're going to point out the Velociraptor size even though it was an actual paleontology mistake at the time.

I still happen to enjoy the first movie, so this OT is as relevant to me as anything.

That's it? That's the point of your frustration and anger is that the science isn't right? Not that the movies themselves have been mediocre or average since the first?

You are never going to get scientifically accurate dinosaurs in this franchise. It's just not happening, especially since we're beyond that point of what the series is selling to the average movie-goer. No feathers, no proper structure of the Stegosaurus, more hybrids and sholck are what you should expect in the next film. It's fine if you're upset by it, but at this point we get it. We got it since we had news of the film coming out and at this point it comes off like a petulant teenager and we don't need more of that when people are already trying to have a decent conversation about the movie and series both in and out of this thread.

Did Joe Johnston go out of his way to fuck up the science behind the dinosaurs? No.

Define "science".

The spinosaur snaps the Rex's neck a few moments after the Rex had the spino's own neck in its jaws.

Nevermind the whole "raptors were smarter than primates" biz.

The Lost World was just a straight-up dumb, borderline bad, movie. It doesn't shit on the dinos but it shits on the characters. Hammond becomes an idiot who literally learns nothing from the first film (it's like it never happened and his "sad shook" moment at the end of JP almost retroactively loses its gravitas) and Malcolm is whoever the writers want him to be.

Define "science".

The spinosaur snaps the Rex's neck a few moments after the Rex had the spino's own neck in its jaws.

Nevermind the whole "raptors were smarter than primates" biz.

The Lost World was just a straight-up dumb, borderline bad, movie. It doesn't shit on the dinos but it shits on the characters. Hammond becomes an idiot who literally learns nothing from the first film (it's like it never happened and his "sad shook" moment at the end of JP almost retroactively loses its gravitas) and Malcolm is whoever the writers want him to be.

The science of dinosaurs walking with balanced tails. The science of dinosaurs being more than just dumb lizards. The science of dinosaurs being ancestors of birds. Hell, nobody knows what a Spinosaurus was until JP3. JP3 tried to keep up by adding slight protofeathers on the Raptors.

Jurassic World went back to fuck up dinosaurs they got right in the previous movies. It literally went back to 1960s dinosaur designs for some of them.

It helps the movie is complete rancid garbage.

I also never said it was perfect science. Jurassic World didn't even try. Neither LW or JP3 outright told paleontologists to fuck off.

Boem

I can swear I remember an interview where Spielberg talks about conciously switching the sizes of the Velociraptors and the Dilophosaurus. In fact, I'm sure of it. They did it because they wanted the raptors to be scarier and a bigger threat, and they made the Dilo's smaller because they didn't want people to confuse them with the raptors. So they actually did, as you say it, fuck up the science behind the dinosaurs on purpose.

The actualy paleontology mistake they did make was that, after the movie's release, they discovered the Utahraptor, which happened to be much closer to the movie's depiction of raptor size. That's where the famous Stan Winston joke 'We made it, then they discovered it' comes from. They sort of got it right in the movie, but only by accident - based on the knowledge at the time when they were making the movie they deliberately altered things because, in the end, it was just a fun action adventure movie. A good one, sure, but it was never high science. The Dilo/Raptor switch wasn't even the only thing they changed, they messed around with a lot of stuff for the sake of scares/action scenes.

This whole thing is getting super silly. I honestly think the biggest problem with this is that we were all kids when the original movie came out, and we've all aged more than 20 years since then. I'm not saying you're not allowed to get annoyed at a movie when it disappoints you, but holding on to that anger for so long about a movie franchise that - in the end - is aimed at a younger audience (and I say that as someone who isn't ashamed of still enjoying it, although World was a bit boring to me), well, that's just getting silly for me.

Edit: I would love to read about the anecdote about how Jurassic World told paleontologists to fuck off. I don't even know what that means but it sounds amazing. I know they were consulted on the movie, just like with all the other ones, so I'd love to hear about the moment they were all chased off the Universal Studios lot by an enraged and money-hungry Trevorrow.

I would definitely appreciate if JW2 involved people who actually like dinosaurs from the beginning of production instead of what JW did by paying a paleontological consultant for absolutely no reason at all other than "well, JP did it...?!"

Like, maybe the creature designers could do a little bit of research instead of basing their designs on what they remembered from catching a bit of Jurassic Park during their lunch break. Jurassic World's creature designs were a fucking travesty from both a paleontological perspective and a design perspective. Don't make me post that Dimorphodon. Fucking embarrassing creature design effort all around on the film.

Velociraptor size is a mistake called Gregory S Paul, or lumping. Paul likes to lump various genera together. He lumped the bigger Deinonychus which was said to be man sized in the 80s. It went down in size as we got a better understanding of it.

As for me hating on the movie, why don't you ask Star Wars fans. I hate the movie because it legitimately feeds into the anti-science crowd that's denying evolution and people's understanding of life on earth. Why do people still hate Star Wars prequels again?

The science of dinosaurs walking with balanced tails. The science of dinosaurs being more than just dumb lizards. The science of dinosaurs being ancestors of birds. Hell, nobody knows what a Spinosaurus was until JP3. JP3 tried to keep up by adding slight protofeathers on the Raptors.

Jurassic World went back to fuck up dinosaurs they got right in the previous movies. It literally went back to 1960s dinosaur designs for some of them.

It helps the movie is complete rancid garbage.

I also never said it was perfect science. Jurassic World didn't even try. Neither LW or JP3 outright told paleontologists to fuck off.

I think one of the bigger problems with JW is that it wants to have its cake and eat it to.

It wants to be a commentary on corporate influences in modern entertainment, yet indulges in blatant product showmanship.
It wants the dinosaurs to be seen as more than just "assets" or monsters, yet they occasionally delve into mindless monster territory.

I think you're only half right on the dinosuars being just dumb lizards. That is, of course, completely untrue with the portrayal of the raptors, and the I-Rex has fairly compelling reasons (kept in isolation, genetic monstrosity, doesn't know its place in the world) for its moments of being an "evil monster".

No excuse for the pterosaurs, though. That's just indulgence on Trevorrow's part.

I recall reading somewhere that Trevorrow tried to pin some of his bad decisions of Steven Spielberg. I'm going to see if I can find it. It might actually be behind the scenes info given to me by other paleontologists though, and I'm mixing it up with some article online.

Boem

Velociraptor size is a mistake called Gregory S Paul, or lumping. Paul likes to lump various genera together. He lumped the bigger Deinonychus which was said to be man sized in the 80s. It went down in size as we got a better understanding of it.

Sure? That doesn't have anything to do with the knowledge they had at the time of the making of the movie though. Not sure why that's supposed to be some sort of argument. You didn't reply to anything I actually said in my post. Here are some more examples of what they deliberately altered for the sake of making a fun action movie (proving it was never a big science project - that was what Walking With Dinosaurs was for):

Velociraptor plays a major role in the film. The creature's depiction is not based on the actual dinosaur genus in question, which itself was significantly smaller. Shortly[13] before Jurassic Park's theatre release, the similar Utahraptor was discovered, though was proven bigger in appearance than the film's raptors; this prompted Stan Winston to joke, "We made it, then they discovered it."

(...)

Dilophosaurus was also very different from its real-life counterpart, made significantly smaller to make sure audiences did not confuse it with the raptors.[17] Its neck frill and its ability to spit venom are fictitious.

(...)

Brachiosaurus is the first dinosaur seen by the park's visitors. It is inaccurately depicted as chewing its food, and standing up on its hind legs to browse among the high tree branches.[10] According to artist Andy Schoneberg, the chewing was done to make the animal seem docile, in a way it resembled a cow chewing its cud.

Yes, I know I'm quoting Wikipedia here, but they all link back to other sources that I don't care enough about to sift through now, because this is all fairly silly. It's also on one of the DVD commentaries and the making off books - it was never a secret that the first order was making a broad audience action adventure, without being too afraid to ignore science. And I'm not saying that that's a problem (I'm fine with it), I think it's just rather silly to imagine this all started with Jurassic World. The originals weren't on some holy crusade for science, they were out to make a fun movie and make buckets and buckets of cash (which they did).

As for me hating on the movie, why don't you ask Star Wars fans. I hate the movie because it legitimately feeds into the anti-science crowd that's denying evolution and people's understanding of life on earth. Why do people still hate Star Wars prequels again?

I don't know, seems super silly to me as well. And I say that as someone who likes nothing about those movies.

Amalthea

Banned
Sure? That doesn't have anything to do with the knowledge they had at the time of the making of the movie though. Not sure why that's supposed to be some sort of argument. You didn't reply to anything I actually said in my post. Here are some more examples of what they deliberately altered for the sake of making a fun action movie (proving it was never a big science project - that was what Walking With Dinosaurs was for):
Lumping Velociraptor with Deinonychus was pretty controversial even back then.

But at least they tried to stay more or less with the science of the time in JP while JW completely shits on that aspect of the previous films and acts as if featuring "your childhoods dinosaurs" is actually part of the franchises DNA.

Fuchsdh

I think one of the bigger problems with JW is that it wants to have its cake and eat it to.

It wants to be a commentary on corporate influences in modern entertainment, yet indulges in blatant product showmanship.
It wants the dinosaurs to be seen as more than just "assets" or monsters, yet they occasionally delve into mindless monster territory.

I think you're only half right on the dinosuars being just dumb lizards. That is, of course, completely untrue with the portrayal of the raptors, and the I-Rex has fairly compelling reasons (kept in isolation, genetic monstrosity, doesn't know its place in the world) for its moments of being an "evil monster".

No excuse for the pterosaurs, though. That's just indulgence on Trevorrow's part.

This is mostly my thought as well. Jurassic World is a film that is almost schizophrenic in its divisions, a film preoccupied with nostalgia and the past and yet chain-jerking things to set up future sequels, a film that pokes fun at modern corporate promotions yet is utterly riddled with it, a film that tries to actually get in the dinos' heads for once and gleefully sets up mindless monster movie setpieces. It also posits an interesting premise with advancing elements from the previous films (a full park, the nature of how people become jaded with the old and familiar) and then doesn't actually do much with them. At least in my mind a JW where the kids and co. just play a game of cat-and-mouse in the ruins of the old park is more interesting to me than the nebulous threat and main street showdown we got (the teaser poster of the raptor on the old jeep suggests to me a lot more interesting premises than we ended up with.)

I think a lot of my issues with the film are not just with what's in the film but the sinking dread of how everything must be a transmedia franchise now and how I don't think JP is necessarily a franchise that can support that.

Boem

Lumping Velociraptor with Deinonychus was pretty controversial even back then.

But at least they tried to stay more or less with the science of the time in JP while JW completely shits on that aspect of the previous films and acts as if featuring "your childhoods dinosaurs" is actually part of the franchises DNA.

It actually is though. In the book there are multiple scenes where they actually talk about altering the dino's DNA to make it fit more with the people's expectation of them - making them slower, bigger, etc, instead of going for a realistic version of them. That's where the idea of the genetically mixed super dinosaur of JW comes from as well. He didn't make an impression on me in the movie either, but it's not like they pulled that out of their ass - it came from the source material. The fact that the dino's still look like the original movie versions is just logical to me - it's established that that's just how they look in that universe, and part of that is of course marketing (they're selling JP here, not a new franchise), and part of that is just internal consistency - which I think is actually quite important for something like this.

I'm not trying to argue that JW was a great movie. It wasn't - I didn't really like any of the characters (especially compared to the more naturally acting group of the first movie), and the whole thing was a bit boring to me. But watching it with my younger nephews and seeing them get just as excited as I was back in the day was super fun though, even though it wasn't for me anymore.

What I am trying to argue is that it's silly to still get so worked up about the flawed science of the movie when that was never really part of the franchise to begin with. It's building the original movies up to something they weren't. I do think that the first movie is a much better movie than any of the sequels, but that's simply because Spielberg is a better filmmaker than Trevorrow, not because they supposedly cared more about 'the science' (which they didn't). The movie wouldn't be any better if the dino's had feathers, for instance. And, frankly, none of the sequels have convinced me that JP is a movie that can carry multiple installments. It's a fairly limited and straight-forward story - every new attempt will see diminishing returns.

Like I said earlier, the bigger problem is that it's a big dinosaur theme park adventure movie and we're all 20 years older. Sometimes that kind of magic doesn't work as much as it did when we were kids.

Top Bottom