• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jurassic World |OT| WARNING! Safety Not, uh, Guaranteed | RT: 71?!%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reverend Funk

Comfy Penetration
They make reference to him, but as far as a cameo, no.

The only person from the original film to make a cameo is Dr. Wu. I don't consider that a spoiler. If his cameo means that much to you then you already know and if it doesn't mean that much to you then you're probably now asking "who the hell is Dr. Wu?"

Edit:

Oh, and one other character from the first film makes a cameo... but he's not really an actor... but he will send your nostalgia-o-meter off the fucking charts.

I think I spotted a photo of him on one of the binders of the dude with the toy dinosaurs. But it was blurry and hard to make out.

v. yesss I knew my eyes weren't deceiving me.
that is no bueno

I'd love Grant and Malcolm back but really there is just no way to realistically get them back on these Islands.
Unless
Wu somehow has a secret lab/bunker in the old park that he continues to experiment in.
Governments discover what he is up to and sends in a team.
US Government force Grant and/or Malcolm to go as they need people with direct knowledge/experience but Ingen being up to no good silenced most surviving employees and destroyed files.

Still pushing it imo.

Kinsei

Banned
I'd love Grant and Malcolm back but really there is just no way to realistically get them back on these Islands.
Unless
Wu somehow has a secret lab/bunker in the old park that he continues to experiment in.
Governments discover what he is up to and sends in a team.
US Government force Grant and/or Malcolm to go as they need people with direct knowledge/experience

Wouldn't it make more sense to send Claire since she would know the island better than either of them? Of course Owen wouldn't go without her so we now have the set up that gets both of them back on the island for the next movie where they fight the raptor men.

Toa TAK

Banned
OP updated, thanks to Quick. That RT meter better stay at 70% or higher, damn it.

My God everyone at my theater must've shopped at the same Target because at least half of us there were wearing the same Jurassic Park shirt.

Movie was just pure joy. I had a lot of fun watching it, and judging by the applause at the end and during the climax, so did everyone else. Score was on point during that scene.

Characters were likeable, I think. The kids, too. Never did I feel like they wore down on me, and honestly, with the exception of THAT gymnastics scene, kids in Jurassic Park are pretty good about that kind of thing.

And yeah, Jake Johnson's characters are the fanbase. Make no mistake.

People moaning and groaning about product placement can kiss my tuchas. You guys act like it violently shook you in your seat. It's there, but it never feels intrusive. I saw the starbucks in the background, I barely caught the Samsung building's title, Mercedes, but Jesus H. Christ talk about petty complaints.

Anyways, I thoroughly enjoyed it, and aside from one death scene in particular, there wasn't anything I had an issue with or didn't like. If anything, it just went by so fast.

Watching this movie was like being a kid falling in love with Larua Dern all over again.

Kinsei

Banned
How do they get
DNA for underwater Dinosaurs? Have they found a way that doesn't involve mosquitos? If they did I missed it.

I don;t think it's explained. They did mention that Mosasaurus got things on the shore close to the water (Like I-Rex at the end). I guess we're just supposed to assume a mosquito bit it as it was dragging it's prey underwater.

Dead

well not really...yet
Right

So

A fun night at the theater. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than Jurassic Park 3.

But, I dont think it even holds up to The Lost World. Let alone Jurassic Park.

This did not even feel like a movie to me. Just a product, nothing more. Same mold as most Marvel trash. Movies decided upon by committee who then just find some sap to come direct it. No creative spark. Its all perfunctory. These things dont feel like movies anymore.

Theres nothing about this flick ill talk about tomorrow with all the people I know who saw it. Disposable, and forgettable, just like your average superhero blockbuster.

The Lost World, flawed as it was, was still far better directed than this, with much better sensibilities and much better at building suspense and dread, and thats considering how much of a step down that movie is from the original Jurassic Park.

I dunno.

It was fun I guess.

But this, it doesn't have anything of what made Jurassic Park special. Heck it doesn't have much of anything that even The Lost World brought to the table, even the characters in that film are better than whats on offer here.

5.8/10. Chris Pratt and BDH were likeable, some neat CG, but whatever.

Wouldn't it make more sense to send Claire since she would know the island better than either of them? Of course Owen wouldn't go without her so we now have the set up that gets both of them back on the island for the next movie where they fight the raptor men.

Technically it would but you could always say for the purpose of bringing them back that she didn't have complete data on the original park and only knew the basic layout or something along those lines

Though that brings up a point about Jurassic World I had, why exactly did they just abandoned stuff they already had and wall it off if it was safe enough to build other stuff there(Raptor pit, IRex cage, Aviary), why not just start at the original Visitor Center and work from there?

Sojgat

6/10

Third-best Jurassic Park movie.

Not as bad as I thought it was going to be. Chris Pratt is actually pretty good in this.

antonz

Technically it would but you could always say for the purpose of bringing them back that she didn't have complete data on the original park or something along those lines

Though that brings up a point about Jurassic World I had, why exactly did they just abandoned stuff they already had and wall it off if it was safe enough to build other stuff there(Raptor pit, IRex cage, Aviary), why not just start at the original Visitor Center and work from there?

Timeline wise INGEN/Masrani does not return to Nublar until 10 years after the first incident. By that time the jungle has likely reclaimed much on top of the fact the storm situation that develops during the first movie probably wrecked a ton of stuff. At the same time they sort of address it through the Jurassic Park shirt. Shit went down and people died so to reuse what was would be in a way out of line

Timeline wise INGEN/Masrani does not return to Nublar until 10 years after the first incident. By that time the jungle has likely reclaimed much on top of the fact the storm situation that develops during the first movie probably wrecked a ton of stuff. At the same time they sort of address it through the Jurassic Park shirt. Shit went down and people died so to reuse what was would be in a way out of line

True.

Right

So

A fun night at the theater. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than Jurassic Park 3.

But, I dont think it even holds up to The Lost World. Let alone Jurassic Park.

This did not even feel like a movie to me. Just a product, nothing more. Same mold as most Marvel trash. Movies decided upon by committee who then just find some sap to come direct it. No creative spark. Its all perfunctory. These things dont feel like movies anymore.

Theres nothing about this flick ill talk about tomorrow with all the people I know who saw it. Disposable, and forgettable, just like your average superhero blockbuster.

The Lost World, flawed as it was, was still far better directed than this, with much better sensibilities and much better at building suspense and dread, and thats considering how much of a step down that movie is from the original Jurassic Park.

I dunno.

It was fun I guess.

But this, it doesn't have anything of what made Jurassic Park special. Heck it doesn't have much of anything that even The Lost World brought to the table, even the characters in that film are better than whats on offer here.

5.8/10. Chris Pratt and BDH were likeable, some neat CG, but whatever.
Still over the moon but I agree this was off pacing wise from the JP series.
As soon as the I-Rex gets loose it's mostly nonstop running and screaming from there.
It makes the movie feel like it lacks build up and it's mostly just one big action scene. Definitely good for the short attention spans and those of us thirsty for hot Dino action after 14 years but it's does get a bit crazy.

Outside of the seal-clappingly good finale, I don't think there is any part I can refer to as singular and really stand alone as a "set piece" or action beat on the level of "Raptor kitchen", "trailer on the cliff", or "Rex fence", because they are all so connected and on top of eachother.

Maybe
the Gyrosphere or the initial I.Rex escape but after that it's just random short scenes of dinos chasing people for the most part with some still really great perfunctory bits (that scene with the raptor jumping into Claire's window tho.). ACU vs I-Rex could have been up there had it been set up just a littttttle longer and better choreographed rather than being just a blur of tail, broken trees, and tossed bodies.

All I could think was "fuck you Joe Johnston"
Lmao.

I gotta say I'm loving all these JP/W avatars y'all are running.

scoobs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGCKcfmlFmM

From What The Flick's review, it sounds like one to skip for me. Bryce Dallas Howard outruns a T rex in heels. Chris Pratt made somehow boring (funny that the Conan clip highlights his po-faced acting direction). Sounds so disappointing in other aspects, too.

The reviews are generally positive. If you were at all interested in this movie, I can't imagine one reviewer would sway you.

Its $20 maximum, go see the darn thing. Its dinosaurs..eating people.. its great.

I'm going to the matinee tomorrow for $8. Bet I'll have a truly awful time.

Dead

well not really...yet
Yeah, there was no proper setup, payoff, climax, etc. It was just one big blur of scenes strung together with action peppered in between, without much meaning behind most of it.

big_z

I heard the 3d is preferable to the 2d. I think the CG was geared to 3d so it looks not so great in 2d.

That's what I was thinking, really want to see the dinosaurs in every D.

It's clear but it didnt add much to the experience I think. I wish 3D would just go away already.

I like 3d when its done well and it remains clear. My eyes strain easily so sloppy 3d results in super dry eyes and pain.

I heard the 3d is preferable to the 2d. I think the CG was geared to 3d so it looks not so great in 2d.
Idk, don't think I've ever heard of a flick that has shook out like that lol.

I saw it in Lie-Max 3D and I thought it was alright 3D, it's not a "IN 3D" film, it's pretty subtle for the most part. I fully intend on either seeing it in 2D if I don't see it in LM3D again next week.

Have Wowhawk or Demoncarnotaur posted their thoughts yet?

Just came back from an IMAX 3D showing.

Quick thoughts:

Really liked it. Seeing a fully operational park that was spared no expense was awesome and made me remember what it was like to be a kid and be obsessed with dinosaurs.

Some really dumb lines but overall dialogue wasn't as bad as I expected. I dug the humour and self awareness. Kids weren't annoying at all, they exacted exactly like kids those ages probably would and didn't do anything overly stupid.

Action was great, CGI was great, music was great. And the ending was great.

Spoiler section:

Seeing the old visitor center was fucking amazing. That is all. And I LOVE that the Rex and raptors get to be the heroes. Because everyone KNOWS they are the favourite, no weird superdinosaur will ever replace them

On the 3D: It's fine, good even. Definitely makes the dinosaurs look better.

Mr. RPG

As soon as the movie was done, I felt like it was a pretty good movie, but then I started to really think about it again after the excitement wore off.

The CGI was atrocious just like they were in the trailers. I remember everyone on NeoGAF saying "wait until the movie comes out!!!" Yeah, right. :/ Alright, now that's out of the way...

The two main characters were actually pretty decent and I ended up really liking them. The kids were absolutely awful though. The other characters were okay, but most of them felt really unmemorable.

The velociraptors and the dinosaurs in general were so boring. I can't really go in to details without spoiling, but how they were implemented in this movie is ridiculous (talking specifically about the velociraptors because most of the other dinosaurs you love are barely even seen in this move at all). The Indominus Rex is worse than the Spinosaurus was in Jurassic Park 3. The theme and idea behind making an Indominus Rex is neat, but the implementation was awful.

Honestly, for the most part, it really wasn't all that great. It is definitely worth watching however. It is better than Jurassic Park 3 and maybe 2.

Did they even use animatronics in this movie by the way? I couldn't tell at all. I could easily tell though in the other movies which dinosaur was CGI and which wasn't.

Edit: I don't think the 3D effects added anything to the experience. I barely even noticed it was in 3D. :p

As soon as the movie was done, I felt like it was a pretty good movie, but then I started to really think about it again after the excitement wore off.

The CGI was atrocious just like they were in the trailers. I remember everyone on NeoGAF saying "wait until the movie comes out!!!" Yeah, right. :/ Alright, now that's out of the way...

The two main characters were actually pretty decent and I ended up really liking them. The kids were absolutely awful though. The other characters were okay, but most of them felt really unmemorable.

The velociraptors and the dinosaurs in general were so boring. I can't really go in to details without spoiling, but how they were implemented in this movie is ridiculous (talking specifically about the velociraptors because most of the other dinosaurs you love are barely even seen in this move at all). The Indominus Rex is worse than the Spinosaurus was in Jurassic Park 3. The theme and idea behind making an Indominus Rex is neat, but the implementation was awful.

Honestly, for the most part, it really wasn't all that great. It is definitely worth watching however. It is better than Jurassic Park 3 and maybe 2.

Did they even use animatronics in this movie by the way? I couldn't tell at all. I could easily tell though in the other movies which dinosaur was CGI and which wasn't.

I disagree 100% with all of the bolded.

I thought the CGI was fantastic, kids were good, and the I-Rex was leagues better than Spinosaurus

Also dug the Owen/Raptors relationship a lot. But you are certainly welcome to your own opinion, I just don't understand it.

scarlet

Just watched this. It's laughable, so bad. I love Chris Pratt a lot but I think he was born for comedy like in Parks and Recs. His performance was so stiff and flat. I didn't expect this movie gonna be great, just fun. But I didn't have fun at all. Ah well...

Mr. RPG

I disagree 100% with all of the bolded.

I thought the CGI was fantastic, kids were good, and the I-Rex was leagues better than Spinosaurus

Also dug the Owen/Raptors relationship a lot. But you are certainly welcome to your own opinion, I just don't understand it.

Yeah, I read your post. :p

The Owen/Raptor relationship felt really dumb. There is no mutual respect between a predator and its prey. :p Spoilers (obviously):
Controlling raptors just sounds so ridiculous to me. Hell, the movie even seems to suggest it is ridiculous too near the end. This is exactly what the basis of the first book was, right? That you can't control nature.

Yeah, I read your post. :p

The Owen/Raptor relationship felt really dumb. There is no mutual respect between a predator and its prey. :p Spoilers (obviously):
Controlling raptors just sounds so ridiculous to me. Hell, the movie even seems to suggest it is ridiculous too near the end. This is exactly what the basis of the first book was, right? That you can't control nature.

I think they satisfied the "you can't control nature" part by having the raptors turn on them. The redemption at the end with Blue helping them was a bit of luck but I thought it was handled well. I can see the problem with it though if you look at it as predator/prey, it just seemed like the film changed the raptors to be more than just mindless predators. I thought it was a cool concept but can see how some may dislike it. I give them credit for trying something new, at the very least

Sean*O

Loved it and so did the whole theater based on the applause. Only thing I didn't care for was
D'Onofrio's character wanting to use Raptors as soldiers, it's like as ridiculous as wanting to use lions or bears as soldiers. They could have found some other way for D'Onofrio to be a dick on camera (because he's generally really good at it.) I did enjoy when he got chewed but the entire premise of his character was too contrived.
Otherwise it was all pretty good.

npa189

Just got back, and I can confirm that it is the best film in the series in 22 years
(and no Nedry bones are spotted)
It was fun, but I wasn't blown away in any capacity. It works as an entertaining movie, no more, no less. Claire is a terrible character for 3/4ths of the movie, intentional but two dimensional.
The throwback to the old park was pretty cool, the goggles, the jeep (with the correct headlights!).

Mr. RPG

I think they satisfied the "you can't control nature" part by having the raptors turn on them. The redemption at the end with Blue helping them was a bit of luck but I thought it was handled well. I can see the problem with it though if you look at it as predator/prey, it just seemed like the film changed the raptors to be more than just mindless predators. I thought it was a cool concept but can see how some may dislike it. I give them credit for trying something new, at the very least

I liked how in the other movies, the Tyrannosaurus or sometimes the velicoraptors would get caught up in a fight which indirectly helps the main characters so they have a chance to run away. In this movie, the raptors literally try to save the day and become the heroes which is just a ridiculous and preposterous idea. Velicoraptors aren't alive, but I really doubt they would be friendly to humans at all.

They try to make it believable though by saying that Owen has known the raptors since birth and stuff, but it still sounds ridiculous to me.

Loved it and so did the whole theater based on the applause. Only thing I didn't care for was
D'Onofrio's character wanting to use Raptors as soldiers, it's like as ridiculous as wanting to use lions or bears as soldiers. They could have found some other way for D'Onofrio to be a dick on camera (because he's generally really good at it.) I did enjoy when he got chewed but the entire premise of his character was too contrived.
Otherwise it was all pretty good.

You're going to hate the sequel then. :p

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
This is the sequel we deserved. But:

1) I don't get how people didn't like this. I honestly can't see any JP fans not liking this movie.

2) I don't get how people thought the CG was bad. CG in motion looks bad in every movie still. Even in Avatar. It's still a thing that's hard to do. But those I-Rex closeups, seriously? What does it take to impress people these days? :/

Unfortunate my showing was full of lots of high school grads (they all started whistling the Hunger Games theme during the trailer for a whole minute...) BUT when time came for it there was PLENTY of clapping. Moreso than the climax of Godzilla.

3 notes about the movie:

-I actually noticed Malcom's book. Made sense with the geek. Also the "smack a magazine rack on the way out" was used with dino toys :p

-Anyone notice when they tracked the I-rex that it was actually labelled as D-rex on the screen? Pretty sure I didn't see wrong.

-I didn't notice that the skeleton smashed was the Spino! I mean, I knew there was one in the park, but was too into the movie the really put two and two together. Heh :p

Also, during that waterfall scene (from the trailers), some girls behind me SCREAMED AND FREAKED OUT and were shaken for a bit. Good use of 3D with chomping jaws? I dunno...

Anyhow if you love JP and dinos, go watch. If you aren't fun at parties, stay home.

This is the sequel we deserved. But:

1) I don't get how people didn't like this. I honestly can't see any JP not liking this movie.

2) I don't get how people thought the CG was bad. CG in motion looks bad in every movie still. Even in Avatar. It's still a thing that's hard to do. But those I-Rex closeups, seriously? What does it take to impress people these days? :/

Unfortunate my showing was full of lots of high school grads (they all started whistling the Hunger Games theme during the trailer for a whole minute...) BUT when time came for it there was PLENTY of clapping. Moreso than the climax of Godzilla.

3 notes about the movie:

-I actually noticed Malcom's book. Made sense with the geek. Also the "smack a magazine rack on the way out" was used with dino toys :p

-Anyone notice when they tracked the I-rex that it was actually labelled as D-rex on the screen? Pretty sure I didn't see wrong.

-I didn't notice that the skeleton smashed was the Spino! I mean, I knew there was one in the park, but was too into the movie the really put two and two together. Heh :p

Also, during that waterfall scene (from the trailers), some girls behind me SCREAMED AND FREAKED OUT and were shaken for a bit. Good use of 3D with chomping jaws? I dunno...

Anyhow if you love JP and dinos, go watch. If you aren't fun at parties, stay home.

Clapping while watching a film is such an alien concept to me. I've never heard clapping whilst watching any film in the UK. I think it would annoy me so I'm quite glad.

I liked how in the other movies, the Tyrannosaurus or sometimes the velicoraptors would get caught up in a fight which indirectly helps the main characters so they have a chance to run away. In this movie, the raptors literally try to save the day and become the heroes which is just a ridiculous and preposterous idea. Velicoraptors aren't alive, but I really doubt they would be friendly to humans at all.

They try to make it believable though by saying that Owen has known the raptors since birth and stuff, but it still sounds ridiculous to me.
Owens trained them for their whole lives, and even eased the discomfort of the one still sporting the camera. But what really got the raptors to turn was one of the siblings being killed by the I-Rex for not following its lead. It was less about saving Owens, and more about "this mutant thing just killed part of our pack."

It just happened that Blue was the last one alive, and most loyal, hence why it took off instead of going after them.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Clapping while watching a film is such an alien concept to me. I've never heard clapping whilst watching any film in the UK. I think it would annoy me so I'm quite glad.

When it's an awesome part of a movie, it's cinematic joy, with everyone else cheering for something awesome. It's like seeing a football goal, but clapping instead of screaming. Everyone in NA theaters are more expressive. It's like not being able to cry at something sad or scream at something scary in a movie. It's a group experience.

(People clap in Canadian theaters too).

When it's an awesome part of a movie, it's cinematic joy, with everyone else cheering for something awesome. It's like seeing a football goal, but clapping instead of screaming. Everyone in NA theaters are more expressive. It's like not being able to cry at something sad or scream at something scary in a movie. It's a group experience.

(People clap in Canadian theaters too).

Yeah but with a football match you don't really give a shit about listening to anything else. People clapping whilst I'm trying to listen to dialogue or Giacchino's soundtrack would piss me off personally.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah but with a football match you don't really give a shit about listening to anything else. People clapping whilst I'm trying to listen to dialogue or Giacchino's soundtrack would piss me off personally.

It's never during dialogue or anything, just at a pause after the fight where the character looks all cool or whatever for a few seconds. Never in the middle of the action.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom