• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jurassic World |OT| WARNING! Safety Not, uh, Guaranteed | RT: 71?!%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuchsdh

Honestly? Almost never. Sometimes at at a midnight release for a big event movie where there's a lot a fanboys there will be clapping at the end.

Yeah the only time I've seen applause at a theater was at the very end of good movies. Never during. But I have probably only been to maybe one or two midnight showings ever so the "rules" might be different then.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I've seen Americans clap twice. At the end of the first transformers movie, and at the end of dark knight.

I saw it happen way more often in South America.

Seen quite a few people clap at the end movies here in Canada, usually for midnight releases or even just opening day.

Also in Godzilla 2014 (spoilers) when
he uses his atomic breath
people actually stood up and cheered. No joke

I felt like doing that then but I'm not a dick so I didn't

Honestly, it was a pretty cool reaction. I like when theatres get into it and cheer together, laugh together, etc. Especially on opening night, it makes for a really great experience in my opinion, I don't mind missing a line or two of dialogue. Speaking more about action movies of course, I don't want people doing that shit in a super serious drama, lol.

I went with a couple people who were way more excited than I was, and they had a great time. The movie is oft entertaining, but a real bad movie on its own, even removed from its lineage. It's just...2015 Summer Action Movie #74 Now With More Chris Pratt (who admittedly is the best thing in it). I don't want to dump on people who liked it so I'll check out the spoiler thread. Was laughing way too much at the stupid crap happening on screen.

daveo42

Banned
Did anyone feel sick to their stomach when
that women was eaten by that Dino in the water? In the trailers she gets carried away by a Pteranodon and it drops her in mid-air, but I thought she was going to survive...Nope! It made me sad because I felt like that scene was unnecessary and just made this film feel dark. Throughout the whole movie she looks like the innocent person. She was looking for the kids then she dies like that? That part really turned the movie off for me!

Nah...then again
most of the carnage has next to no effect on me because everything felt way way way more lighthearted than it needed to be. Like there were stakes for the characters, but not high enough to take most of them seriously and laugh at some of the deaths. Including the whole sequence of her almost falling several times. My worry was she was going to eat pavement instead of getting eaten.

Saw it last night but wanted to sleep on it before I shared my thoughts.

It's heavy on nostalgia and fan service, some of which works very well and some that doesn't. The dinosaur action is top notch and the best part of the movie (especially dat ending). Chris Pratt brings the Star Lord charisma and is a lot of fun to watch, and Bryce-Dallas Howard does well enough for the script she was given. The kids are atrocious, but not Kelly atrocious. The plot is paper thin but serviceable, and there are some very cheesy scenes and characters. That being said, it's a fast-paced, fun ride that's a worthy entry into the Jurassic Park canon. It crushes JPIII and is smarter than The Lost World but doesn't come close to the sense of wonder of the original. Let's be real though, no one should expect that.

If I had to put a number on it, I'd say 7.5/10. And for full-disclosure, Jurassic Park is my favorite move of all time.

Saw it last night but wanted to sleep on it before I shared my thoughts.

It's heavy on nostalgia and fan service, some of which works very well and some that doesn't. The dinosaur action is top notch and the best part of the movie (especially dat ending). Chris Pratt brings the Star Lord charisma and is a lot of fun to watch, and Bryce-Dallas Howard does well enough for the script she was given. The kids are atrocious, but not Kelly atrocious. The plot is paper thin but serviceable, and there are some very cheesy scenes and characters. That being said, it's a fast-paced, fun ride that's a worthy entry into the Jurassic Park canon. It crushes JPIII and is smarter than The Lost World but doesn't come close to the sense of wonder of the original. Let's be real though, no one should expect that.

If I had to put a number on it, I'd say 7.5/10. And for full-disclosure, Jurassic Park is my favorite move of all time.

Very similar to my thoughts, I didn't mind the kids though. Liked the younger one, he was adorable

pestul

I don't find clapping a huge thing here in Canada, but you will hear cheering in some of the early screenings of popular films. Heck, I've actually participated in it and I find it really adds to the experience. I can see how some might find it a lot off-putting though.

Lunar15

I've seen Americans clap twice. At the end of the first transformers movie, and at the end of dark knight.

I saw it happen way more often in South America.

There's no fucking way people clapped at the end of Transformers. I refuse to believe it.

Like, even if people liked it, I refuse to think anyone clapped.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Seen quite a few people clap at the end movies here in Canada, usually for midnight releases or even just opening day.

Also in Godzilla 2014 (spoilers) when
he uses his atomic breath
people actually stood up and cheered. No joke

That was amazing, a standing ovation would have been insufficient.

Futureman

wait.. when did this movie come out?

I bought tix yesterday on Fandango for 7:15 PM and assumed they were for Friday as that's when movies come out.... I guess not. I just got an email and it was like, "How did you enjoy the movie?" and was like "wut?...."

Anytime a new movie is out on Thursday I thought that was mainly a midnight showing??

UGH.

ElNino

When it's an awesome part of a movie, it's cinematic joy, with everyone else cheering for something awesome. It's like seeing a football goal, but clapping instead of screaming. Everyone in NA theaters are more expressive. It's like not being able to cry at something sad or scream at something scary in a movie. It's a group experience.

(People clap in Canadian theaters too).
I've never had people clap in a theatre here (Canada). But maybe it's because I only go to see movies with my kids.

I didn't feel sick but I wasn't a fan of that scene. It seemed like a fate they would have reserved for
someone like Hoskins or another "henchman" type, not some admin who's only sin was not paying 100% attention to some kids who wanted to be on their own anyway.

To be honest, what it reminds me of is that part in The Lost World
where nice guy Eddie gets split in two by the T Rexes. Just made me feel awful. Those type of ultra violent deaths shouldn't be for "good" guys.
Dinos don't discriminate. They're just animals

Futureman

You can get refunds from fandango as long as it's not within 2 hours of the movie time. Just go into your purchase history and click "Can't make the show?"

I bought tix for 7 PM LAST NIGHT. Movie is long over. That's why I doubt they'll give a refund. I'm #18 in the chat queue right now, I'll at least give it a shot.

but like I was saying... everywhere I look online says the release date is 6/12. I just assumed the time I was looking at was Friday I guess.

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
I bought tix for 7 PM LAST NIGHT. Movie is long over. That's why I doubt they'll give a refund. I'm #18 in the chat queue right now, I'll at least give it a shot.

but like I was saying... everywhere I look online says the release date is 6/12. I just assumed the time I was looking at was Friday I guess.

Not any help now, but most movies actually start showing Thursday evening these days.

I understand this, but this isn't real life. It's a movie. You write X person being killed Y way. So you can have a lesser death for someone who "doesn't deserve it" and save the big awful deaths for people who "deserve it".

I didn't feel sick but I wasn't a fan of that scene. It seemed like a fate they would have reserved for
someone like Hoskins or another "henchman" type, not some admin who's only sin was not paying 100% attention to some kids who wanted to be on their own anyway.

To be honest, what it reminds me of is that part in The Lost World
where nice guy Eddie gets split in two by the T Rexes. Just made me feel awful. Those type of ultra violent deaths shouldn't be for "good" guys.

I agree, but I don't think it's as bad as TLW death, because
she was basically a glorified extra, not a character that we ended up liking
(Eddie was probably the second most likable character in TLW). However...

I think it's more that, in TLW and here, it was a deliberate choice to show that character's "cool" death. I didn't like it in TLW but I didn't mind it as much here, because the entire
pterosaur
scene is an homage to older monster movies, for better or worse (why would ALL the
pterosaurs just immediately start attacking humans
?).

I think
her death
was supposed to be horrifying. It worked for me, but I get why it bothered some people. This is a brutal movie, though. We see
dinos exploding, having their heads bitten, we basically see a park worker get ripped in half,
and the I-Rex just puts in work. It fit, for me.

There's no fucking way people clapped at the end of Transformers. I refuse to believe it.

Like, even if people liked it, I refuse to think anyone clapped.

July 3, 2007 was a fucking magical time.

People cheered. People laughed. Hell I'll even go on record saying some cried.

TF1 was fucking baller.

"My Name is Optimus Prime"

godisreal.jpg

Mesoian

This movie was fucking dumb.

It was a lot of fun and I enjoyed seeing it.

But it was super fucking dumb.

Whole movie felt like it was written in the vein of 21 Jump Street.

I agree, but I don't think it's as bad as TLW death, because
she was basically a glorified extra, not a character that we ended up liking
(Eddie was probably the second most likable character in TLW). However...

I think it's more that, in TLW and here, it was a deliberate choice to show that character's "cool" death. I didn't like it in TLW but I didn't mind it as much here, because the entire
pterosaur
scene is an homage to older monster movies, for better or worse (why would ALL the
pterosaurs just immediately start attacking humans
?).

I think
her death
was supposed to be horrifying. It worked for me, but I get why it bothered some people. This is a brutal movie, though. We see
dinos exploding, having their heads bitten, we basically see a park worker get ripped in half,
and the I-Rex just puts in work. It fit, for me.

I mean....not really. Compared to the other movies, the violence in JW is very very tame. Lots of people getting swallowed whole. In Lost World, lots of people are literally ripped in two.
The scene where the assistant is eaten is so busy and chaotic that you sort of forget that she's even there when she gets snapped up.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
that women was eaten by that Dino in the water? In the trailers she gets carried away by a Pteranodon and it drops her in mid-air, but I thought she was going to survive...Nope! It made me sad because I felt like that scene was unnecessary and just made this film feel dark. Throughout the whole movie she looks like the innocent person. She was looking for the kids then she dies like that? That part really turned the movie off for me!

What I assumed
was the character had more scenes that portrayed her as being a neglectful obnoxious twat who was easy to hate so her death would be a bit of "yes finally!" moment. But then a bunch of her scenes and dialogue got cut so it just seems like a randomly brutal death. I have nothing to base that on, its just what I assumed.

I mean....not really. Compared to the other movies, the violence in JW is very very tame. Lots of people getting swallowed whole. In Lost World, lots of people are literally ripped in two.
The scene where the assistant is eaten is so busy and chaotic that you sort of forget that she's even there when she gets snapped up.

I think a lot of people are going to disagree with you on this point. In this movie, we see:

-Partially obscured view of park worker being ripped in half
-ACU being chomped whole
-ACU being chomped and flipped up into the I-Rex's mouth while blood rains down through the leaves
-Hoskins gets his arm chomped and then a spray of blood covers the window
-Ankylosaur getting its head eaten
-ACU get impaled by pterosaur beak
-Usually smattering of obscured deaths: the entire ACU team vs raptors, the entire ACU team vs I-Rex (including a lot of "definitely didn't survive that" bodies flying into trees), and the whole pterosaur attack

And then the
assistant
, of course. I mean, it was chaotic,
but she was very clearly being treated like a meal by the pterosaurs, and then is eaten, ALIVE (you can see her in the mosasaur mouth, btw).

I mean, this movie has the highest body count out of any JP movie. It's pretty damned brutal.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."

Yeah. That seemed like an undeserved death considering how many other people should have gone out in that way.

Superflat

Lol wut??? Only one person was ripped in two in that movie.

That was more or less the only onscreen dino death that made me feel really bad for the character (haven't seen JW). A little more than mean spirited considering he saved like, everybody.

The compy death tho, that dude was ripped into hundreds of pieces

They even make sure to tell us
that she was about to get married lol

‘Jurassic World’ Roars $18.5M In Thursday Previews, On Track For $115M-$135M Bow

With gargantuan tracking figures of 96% total awareness and 36% unaided awareness, Jurassic World, some insiders predict, is bound for a potential June record. The titleholder is Warner Bros.’ 2013 Superman pic Man Of Steel at $116.6M — which by the way is one of the industry’s comps; both films are reboots of dormant franchises. Weekend projections for JW, which moves to 4,273 venues today — Uni’s widest bow ever — continue to range from $115M-$135M. 3D showtimes and 360 Imax hubs also give JW, which was co-financed by Legendary at 25%, some extra teeth. Last night, 362 Imax venues rang up $2.8M, repping the second highest preview for the label after Ultron grossed $2.9M.

Mesoian

There was nothing entertaining about Aja's Piranha though. Let's get real.

Piranha 2 though....

/jk

They even make sure to tell us
that she was about to get married lol

To be fair, I knew that woman was dead the moment she came on screen.

I successfully called out every single death in this movie save for one. I thought the other Raptor trainer was definitely going to get it, but he manages to eek it out.

I mean, this movie has the highest body count out of any JP movie. It's pretty damned brutal.

But that's really only because there's more fodder than any other movie. There's a point where there's a counter on the screen that shows the park's active attendance, and I was expecting them to use that as a countdown for the amount of deaths going on. Thankfully they didn't, but they definitely put that worm in my ear.

It makes me wonder if the deathcount is really the highest, especially over TLW, where people are have been said to have died for reasons that make zero sense, like the boat driver who lost his hands to the t-rex, which is a great homage to the book, but makes literally no sense in the movie. Even the pterodactyl scene doesn't have that many shown deaths. Most of them end up dropping people after about 10 feet off the ground. Logically there SHOULD be a higher death toll, but the flow of the action doesn't really call for it. If it wasn't for that one scene that's meant to build up the viewers suspension of disbelief where deaths are concerned, there really aren't many more deaths than the capture teams in TLW. Hell, the rex in JP3 had a higher kill count than the indominus.

Not that this matters that much, these logical fallacies don't make the movie more or less enjoyable. JW is just dumb fun at the end of the day. It makes me want Jurassic Park 5: Dino Riders

TradeAd1.jpg

Ok.. I am a big softie.. so I may be the only one.. but
That brontosaurus.. when it tried to get up.. man.. made me cry..felt SO bad for it. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom