• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jurassic World |OT| WARNING! Safety Not, uh, Guaranteed | RT: 71?!%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newman96

As soon as the movie was done, I felt like it was a pretty good movie, but then I started to really think about it again after the excitement wore off.

The CGI was atrocious just like they were in the trailers. I remember everyone on NeoGAF saying "wait until the movie comes out!!!" Yeah, right. :/ Alright, now that's out of the way...

The two main characters were actually pretty decent and I ended up really liking them. The kids were absolutely awful though. The other characters were okay, but most of them felt really unmemorable.

The velociraptors and the dinosaurs in general were so boring. I can't really go in to details without spoiling, but how they were implemented in this movie is ridiculous (talking specifically about the velociraptors because most of the other dinosaurs you love are barely even seen in this move at all). The Indominus Rex is worse than the Spinosaurus was in Jurassic Park 3. The theme and idea behind making an Indominus Rex is neat, but the implementation was awful.

Honestly, for the most part, it really wasn't all that great. It is definitely worth watching however. It is better than Jurassic Park 3 and maybe 2.

Did they even use animatronics in this movie by the way? I couldn't tell at all. I could easily tell though in the other movies which dinosaur was CGI and which wasn't.

Edit: I don't think the 3D effects added anything to the experience. I barely even noticed it was in 3D. :p
I think the bit with
Howard and Pratt comforting the dying dinosaur was an animatronic but I'm not entirely sure? Was the only instance I could spot

Clapping while watching a film is such an alien concept to me. I've never heard clapping whilst watching any film in the UK. I think it would annoy me so I'm quite glad.

I'm from the UK too and experienced this when I went to see The Dark Knight in Trinidad way back when. There was lots of whooping and cheering and general noise throughout the film, which was a bit unexpected. Got nothing against it, but I'm happy with my quiet reserved Britishness thank you! :)

Mr. Sam

Clapping while watching a film is such an alien concept to me. I've never heard clapping whilst watching any film in the UK. I think it would annoy me so I'm quite glad.

Fellow Briton here: it's happened to me exactly once, in a half full screen, during The Golden Compass.

Oh, and several times at the Prince Charles Cinema but it's just that sort of, I dunno, film enthusiast crowd, so it doesn't really count.

bchamba

I had a really great time watching this movie and it will probably be the first movie I see a second time in theaters since the first Avengers

This is the sequel we deserved. But:

1) I don't get how people didn't like this. I honestly can't see any JP fans not liking this movie.

2) I don't get how people thought the CG was bad. CG in motion looks bad in every movie still. Even in Avatar. It's still a thing that's hard to do. But those I-Rex closeups, seriously? What does it take to impress people these days? :/

Unfortunate my showing was full of lots of high school grads (they all started whistling the Hunger Games theme during the trailer for a whole minute...) BUT when time came for it there was PLENTY of clapping. Moreso than the climax of Godzilla.

3 notes about the movie:

-I actually noticed Malcom's book. Made sense with the geek. Also the "smack a magazine rack on the way out" was used with dino toys :p

-Anyone notice when they tracked the I-rex that it was actually labelled as D-rex on the screen? Pretty sure I didn't see wrong.

-I didn't notice that the skeleton smashed was the Spino! I mean, I knew there was one in the park, but was too into the movie the really put two and two together. Heh :p

Also, during that waterfall scene (from the trailers), some girls behind me SCREAMED AND FREAKED OUT and were shaken for a bit. Good use of 3D with chomping jaws? I dunno...

Anyhow if you love JP and dinos, go watch. If you aren't fun at parties, stay home.

I thought the movie was fun. As for the CGI, I was actually pretty impressed with it. Most of the time, it looked pretty great to me.^^

If you saw this movie and didn't see Tomorrowland, you're never allowed to complain about how they never make original tentpole blockbusters anymore/Hollywood only makes sequels. This was one of the most forced, market-tested cash-grabs directed by a studio. Script was embarrassingly cliche and I'm still wondering when people are going to realise that Bryce Dallas Howard (wonderful lady though she may be) has the on-screen presence and charisma of a water heater.

I was even disappointed by Giacc's score, but I'm not sure how much of that is his fault when the film itself shifts tone every 5 minutes.

Also, going forward, I hope Paramount realises that although kids make up a big cross-section of their audience for this franchise, they continually make for the worst protagonists in these films. Okay I take that back: this film had no protagonist.

There was also some weird editing in spots. There was a scene where Pratt and Howard are having a conversation that is cut so jarringly it was obvious they wanted to wrap that scene up.

And yeah, there was some rough CG.

Dat
jump scene.

This was one of the most forced, market-tested cash-grabs directed by a studio. Script was embarrassingly cliche and I'm still wondering when people are. . .

This is why I never get hyped for films and rarely go into pre-release threads, all that time, hype and discussion is laughable post-release when a film fails to deliver.

Ohwiseone

See I didn't like tomorrowland at all. I liked this more. Maybe it says a ton about my intelligence. But I would watch Jurassic world over tomorrowland any day.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Great experience. So much fun. I fear for the cold dead souls that weren't enthralled by this movie. Just a really pleasing film in all regards.

and mad max was meticulously screen-tested for more than a year and that turned out to be a blockbuster classic.

but alas i don't see that being the case with this movie, i do get the generic franchise movie vibe from the trailers for this as well sadly, but i'll see how it actually is on the weekend.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
They didn't do test screening for JW though.

No but the movie definitely seemed really check list-y with a lot of forced danger segments and mirrored call backs to the original.

Not that I had a problem with the latter. The first film will never be topped though... its TIMELESS and we'll never get anything else like it.

No but the movie definitely seemed really check list-y with a lot of forced danger segments and mirrored call backs to the original.

Not that I had a problem with the latter. The first film will never be topped though... its TIMELESS and we'll never get anything else like it.

I agree. Even though I liked this movie, the first film is still the best one so far. It is such a great classic. I am guessing if this movie makes lot of money at the box office, we might be getting another sequel.

Jawmuncher

I agree. Even though I liked this movie, the first film is still the best one so far. It is such a great classic. I am guessing if this movie makes lot of money at the box office, we might be getting another sequel.

They made it with the intention of being a new trilogy. If the box office forecast holds through it should pan out.

tcrunch

The Owen/Raptor relationship felt really dumb. There is no mutual respect between a predator and its prey. :p

I assume the Owen character is based on a Kevin Richardson type / horse whisperer people (only with things that aren't horses).

7yatLFI.gif
C4lHEMi.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNCzSfv4hX8

Nothing can be worse than Jurassic Park 3. That movie was such an abomination and it left such a sour taste in my mouth that in the last 14 years I never once said to myself; 'It is time for a new Jurassic Park movie' - I am glad to hear that this one kind of rejuvenates the theme.

Some movies can never measure with its father of the trilogy, and I honestly believe it is quite an unfair comparison to make when you know that Jurassic Park was created by Steven Spielberg at it's prime, because it was in the same year that Schindler's List came out.

See it for what it tries to do and stop seeing it as something that failed to do certain things in comparison to the first.

NR1

How do they get
DNA for underwater Dinosaurs? Have they found a way that doesn't involve mosquitos? If they did I missed it.

They quickly and indirectly explain this through a conversation between the 2 kids as they arrive on the island. The younger kids tells his older brother something along the lines of
they have discovered a method of extracting DNA from bones, so even if the amber mines dry up, they still have a source of DNA to create new dinosaurs. I assume that is how they were able to create the water dino

KevinG

They quickly and indirectly explain this through a conversation between the 2 kids as they arrive on the island. The younger kids tells his older brother something along the lines of
they have discovered a method of extracting DNA from bones, so even if the amber mines dry up, they still have a source of DNA to create new dinosaurs. I assume that is how they were able to create the water dino

Oh I caught the Metroid talk before you edited.

I liked that this wasn't trying to be the first movie. People keep saying this and comparing it but I don't see it. The first was about holy fuck dinosaurs! and this movie knew that we've already seen that so it doesn't pretend like it can replicate that "magic." Instead it runs with its own themes and sticks to them without feeling the need to be movie one. I think that's what worked so well for me as during it I wasn't trying to size it up to the first and watched it as its own entity.

In that way it felt like a proper continuation. 2 and 3 still tried to replicate the wonder or whatever but Jurassic World understood how jaded the audience is in regards to this.

Sure. Still good and way better than the vitriol suggested.

Tommorowland, I ended up enjoying it more than I expected. I wasn't a fan of the plot, but I really liked the characters, and I really liked most of the action in it.

Well Trevorrow said he probably wouldn't do the sequel. Will be interesting to see how it develops.

I wouldn't mind if he did the sequel, I can understand if he doesn't want to do it. As for Jurassic World the movie itself. The stuff I didn't like about it is first of all, I thought some of plot wasn't that great. With Vincent D'Onofrio character, I thought his motivations to
train the Raptors as biological weapons was weird to me and made no sense
. There were some parts that I felt could have been better if ILM had more time to work on it, or the other special effects vendors that they used. My main complaints with the special effects
is that I thought that the big fishsaurious (can't remember the name for the life of me), didn't look that great, and I thought the pterodactyls didn't look that great either. Even though that scene with the pterodactyls attacking the tourist was actually pretty intense and scary (for me at least) I think that they could have done a better job with the special effects. There's some great uses of special effects though. But I really liked how most of the dinosaurs looked especially the raptors.
Character wise
I was mixed towards the two kids. I found the them somewhat annoying at times. I ended up liking most of the characters though.
Overall, I enjoyed it, and thought it was just a fun sequel.

Experien

This was fun and pretty enjoyable to watch but it was pretty bad. I can't quite put my finger on it. All the silly stuff people made fun of or guessed before it came out was really well done, but the rest of it...

And the plotholes...

Bad but good.

I don't understand all the hate, it was obviously never going to come close to the first film and after 3 previous films there is only so much you can do with dinosaurs on an island.

Don't overthink it just enjoy the dinosaurs.
Not about coming close to the first film. I'm one of the few that thinks the first film isn't one of Spielberg's better movies.

Did anyone feel sick to their stomach when
that women was eaten by that Dino in the water? In the trailers she gets carried away by a Pteranodon and it drops her in mid-air, but I thought she was going to survive...Nope! It made me sad because I felt like that scene was unnecessary and just made this film feel dark. Throughout the whole movie she looks like the innocent person. She was looking for the kids then she dies like that? That part really turned the movie off for me!

that women was eaten by that Dino in the water? In the trailers she gets carried away by a Pteranodon and it drops her in mid-air, but I thought she was going to survive...Nope! It made me sad because I felt like that scene was unnecessary and just made this film feel dark. Throughout the whole movie she looks like the innocent person. She was looking for the kids then she dies like that? That part really turned the movie off for me!

I took sheer delight in it.

Altazor

that was pretty much the only
death in the movie I thought was memorable. The rest was cannon fodder and Hoskins' death was meh.

jackal27

Banned
Not sure what the general consensus is, but I saw it last night and really really enjoyed it. Better than 2 or 3 (which I also enjoy in my own ways). I would definitely see it again.

Only minor thing that bugged me was that the film felt a little too self aware. Too many winks and snippy jokes that take the tension out of really good moments.

I didn't feel sick but I wasn't a fan of that scene. It seemed like a fate they would have reserved for
someone like Hoskins or another "henchman" type, not some admin who's only sin was not paying 100% attention to some kids who wanted to be on their own anyway.

To be honest, what it reminds me of is that part in The Lost World
where nice guy Eddie gets split in two by the T Rexes. Just made me feel awful. Those type of ultra violent deaths shouldn't be for "good" guys.

This was a duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuumb movie, but I have been replaying all the dino scenes in my head since last night. It's surprising that the action sequences are where this movie succeeds and the human element is almost a complete failure, given his background. He's got a good eye.

Typing up full impressions.

that was pretty much the only
death in the movie I thought was memorable. The rest was cannon fodder and Hoskins' death was meh.

I actually really liked
Hoskins' death, because he was going into another one of his horribly over-the-top HERE IS MY EVIL talks and then "ho SHIT".
Thought that was great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom