• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jurassic World |OT| WARNING! Safety Not, uh, Guaranteed | RT: 71?!%

Status
Not open for further replies.

R-User!

An attempt at a little aliterate review:

Beginning was basically boring.

Middle was mostly mediocre and middling.

Ending was especially exhilarating!

That's that.

Blizzard

Banned
Alright - going for my second screening, this time in 3D.

How is the 3D?
I rarely see 3D movies but saw this in non-IMAX 3D because of the time slot.

It was actually decent! I didn't notice anything especially jarring, no throwing sharp spines into the camera to shock the audience, but it all seemed to fit together well. I probably just forgot I was watching in 3D. I don't remember it being too dark either, which is one problem I may have with 3D movies.

I did have problems telling two dinosaurs apart in one scene though.

Bernbaum

Not sure. How were the flyover shots of main street in 2D? They looked like models and diminished the scope which clashed with the theme in 3D IMO. I'm going to see it 2D next.

The first flyover shot in 2D was awesome. I felt my vision was free to explore the full range of the shot. That's my biggest grip with 3D - the effect typically focuses on one thing and I feel restricted with what I want to look at in the shot.

At our 2D premiere, we sat 2/3's of the way back, dead-centre in order to get the best position for the sound. The swelling tones of the theme seemed larger than life from where we were sitting and had a major impact to the first view of the park. Gonna sit a bit closer to the front for 3D and will see how the sound comes across.

denx

Just saw the movie. It lacked the sense of suspense and terror that the original JP and TLW had, but it was still a pretty entertaining movie. Dialogue was clunky, but passable. The ending was balls to the walls fantastic.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
YES!
As for product placement? Some people had me worried it was in your face bad. Mercedes was the only thing that felt forced. Fuck, guys.

The fact that their cars are Mercedes didn't bother me, but the forced camera angles. They get those "car shots" in. Every time a car stops, it's at an angle that a car would be in an ad. This happened several times, and then the camera panned out to get to the people getting out. Honestly, this was the only thing that bugged me, really.

Did you see the multiple shots of the angsty teen putting on his headphones and then looking out the window so you could see the Beats by Dr. Dre logo?

Kids wear headphones that have logos on them. Beats are a thing that kids wear. Would you rather have generics?

jtb

Banned
As much as I hate to side with Joss Whedon on... anything (especially a dumb, premature judgment based on 2:30 of footage), Jurassic World does leave quite the sexist aftertaste in your mouth.

denx

Shit guys, I never once noticed product placement in the movie, and if I did I inmediately forgot about it. I dunno, seems like a lot of you are making a big deal out of... nothing particularly big? :p

I don't get the sexist complaints either. In general the movie didn't care a great deal about its human characters.

kris.

Banned
Shit guys, I never once noticed product placement in the movie, and if I did I inmediately forgot about it. I dunno, seems like a lot of you are making a big deal out of... nothing particularly big? :p

Oh no, it was everywhere. But I give zero fucks. If you're gonna end a movie with a
T-Rex and a Velociraptor teaming up against a T-Rex/Velociraptor hybrid and fighting to the death, you can put whatever the shit you want in.

Edit: ahh shit, this isn't the spoiler thread. Sorry if anyone read that!

jtb

Banned
I thought a [certain cameo] was, far and away, the most egregious and obvious product placement in the film. I even thought his bit in the film was funny, but I also groaned because come on.

Makai

The fact that their cars are Mercedes didn't bother me, but the forced camera angles. They get those "car shots" in. Every time a car stops, it's at an angle that a car would be in an ad. This happened several times, and then the camera panned out to get to the people getting out. Honestly, this was the only thing that bugged me, really.

Kids wear headphones that have logos on them. Beats are a thing that kids wear. Would you rather have generics?
He turns his head so you can see the logo. TWICE.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member

I knew about it before before people were complaining about it. They were all fine though, except for those obvious car shots :p Honestly, I really don't care that much.

EDIT:
He turns his head so you can see the logo. TWICE.
Didn't notice.

Blizzard

Banned
The headphones were the only product placement that felt really glaring to me. I also noticed a couple of car types and a Coke at one point.

The Samsung sponsor label showed up almost immediately after the lady was trying to find a new big park sponsor, so it basically fit in, in my opinion.

Pilgrimzero

Movie was OK.

Kids where horrible. Most of the characters were.

Everytime someone could make a smart decision they opted for the bad instead.

And hey military guys, dinos aren't immune to bullets. Your plan in stupid.

Lots of cliche stuff, like radio/phone not working at a critical moment.

And yes, the high heels were dumb.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
The Samsung sponsor label showed up almost immediately after the lady was trying to find a new big park sponsor, so it basically fit in, in my opinion.

Disneyland has a Microsoft innovation center. At at least it did when I was last there.

Sean

Banned
I was sitting right behind a young boy going absolutely crazy with excitement (especially during the last act). That might sound annoying, but seeing a kid so happy that he's throwing his hands in the air and cheering just put a massive smile on my face. Reminded me of when I was 6 years old getting to see the original JP on the big screen for the first time.

I really enjoyed the film, solid 7/10 for me. Just a handful of issues with the script mostly that hold it back from being legitimately great.

Whoooooooo BOY was this movie FUCKING DUMB

The last half hour was fun as hell though. If only that first hour had been worth much of anything, this would have been a damn good film. As it was, you basically have to trudge through about an hour of SyFy-quality dramaslop, and then it just fuckin' goes for it.

Probably shoulda just completely ditched the kids angle, had Jake Johnson's character be the one who gets stuck out there in the park and needs to be rescued. It would have worked, except better, because Jake Johnson almost had a personality, which is better than I can say for almost every other character in the film. Bryce Dallas Howard was given shit to work with, and she didn't work with it very well. D'Onofrio didn't even ham very well.

Not a single jump-scare. Not one. Out of like, 10-15 attempts at legitimate comedy, maybe three jokes landed.

But that last half-hour makes up for a lot. Not enough for me to place it above 3 (which is better than 2, and you all fuckin' know it) but still, pretty damn fun.

So next movie is Jurassic War, right?

Oh, and had Godzilla and Pacific Rim not come out recently, this would have absolutely become our American Godzilla. They made the T-Rex into a straight up hero this movie The only time the theme was correctly employed all movie long was when she came up out the paddock.

Super-fun last half-hour.

soooooo dumb.

evanmisha

Saw it. Thoroughly unimpressed. All of the action was super reserved (the only time someone gets eaten and it isn't whole, it happens off screen with the damn cliche wall blood splatter). A lot of the CG blended surprisingly poorly. Virtually no positive presence of women in any way. I also have a super high tolerance for stupidity in movies but it was so constant here. Every time the protagonists ran away in the last act, it was in a ridiculous direction. Or they'd sit and watch the
T-Rex fight
instead of running away. They wouldn't even get like a safe distance away. They'd stand right beside the action until the thing they were watching through gets destroyed and then they'd bee line to the next object to partially hide behind. The only truly thrilling moment was when the
secretary got dropped into the pool
and even that was over in an instant. Then they made the shoe joke, and there was no visual cue. No shot of her shoes. So weirdly edited.

The few comedy beats however worked very well, and the control center duo were both perfect. I'm a fan of both actors so that was a pleasant surprise.

That ending, though. What a turd.
Like, this is not Godzilla. We don't give a shit about the T-Rex. Why did he just dip and why did he get like a victory pose?
I don't get it.

denx

Like, this is not Godzilla.
We don't give a shit about the T-Rex
. Why did he just dip and why did he get like a victory pose?
I don't get it.

The people who were cheering in the theater would strongly disagree with you on that.

And
the T-Rex
is a "she" by the way.

evanmisha

Uhh, that's untrue for a very big portion of the fanbase.

Did not clue in it was the same T-Rex.

I didn't catch any build up at all to that moment. It didn't impact me like it did many of you. It seemed overly convenient. 'I've got it! We'll use the T-Rex just down the hall! She'll totally be down for that!' It also probably didn't help that I haven't seen Jurassic Park since I was a kid.

jokkir

I agree with the beginning was boring sentiment and kids were really annoying. The climax and leading up to it was so good though.

denx

Hope there aren't kids in the next movie. And if there are and they are as annoying as the kids in this movie I hope they get a super graphic gruesome death to annoy the moral guardians.

Claire can run anywhere with those heels
She's the real MVP

Just got back from seeing it, its good but the first is still the best but I got Dinos and dinos wrecking shit and that's all I wanted

Saw it. Thoroughly unimpressed. All of the action was super reserved (the only time someone gets eaten and it isn't whole, it happens off screen with the damn cliche wall blood splatter). A lot of the CG blended surprisingly poorly. Virtually no positive presence of women in any way. I also have a super high tolerance for stupidity in movies but it was so constant here. Every time the protagonists ran away in the last act, it was in a ridiculous direction. Or they'd sit and watch the
T-Rex fight
instead of running away. They wouldn't even get like a safe distance away. They'd stand right beside the action until the thing they were watching through gets destroyed and then they'd bee line to the next object to partially hide behind. The only truly thrilling moment was when the
secretary got dropped into the pool
and even that was over in an instant. Then they made the shoe joke, and there was no visual cue. No shot of her shoes. So weirdly edited.

The few comedy beats however worked very well, and the control center duo were both perfect. I'm a fan of both actors so that was a pleasant surprise.

Like, this is not Godzilla. We don't give a shit about the T-Rex. Why did he just dip and why did he get like a victory pose?
I don't get it.
Other than not giving a shit about the T-Rex, I agree with this.

I thought the ending was the worst part of the movie. I rolled my eyes and groaned. Ugh!

As much as I hate to side with Joss Whedon on... anything (especially a dumb, premature judgment based on 2:30 of footage), Jurassic World does leave quite the sexist aftertaste in your mouth.
Colin and Bryce discussed this and came away feeling that not all feminism is girls acting tough and being "one of the guys". Softer sides are okay too.

But her keeping her heels on while shit goes down is a powerful stance for her character to take.

I just hate ism labeling of everything. It's getting a bit obnoxious.

Perhaps the laziest jurassic sequel possible. Decent popcorn flick, but utterly lacking the thematic resonance of the first movie. Also, I'm all for campy fun in my movies, but for fucks sake every punchline in the movie was underlined and bolded. And Bryce Dallas Howard comes off as an offensively irredeemable buffoon, existing solely to bounce around Pratt and find more and more convoluted ways to reach increasing states of undress. Pratt too mostly phones it in for the last half of the movie. In fact I'd do a longer proper rant but I'm on mobile right now.

Perhaps the laziest jurassic sequel possible. Decent popcorn flick, but utterly lacking the thematic resonance of the first movie. Also, I'm all for campy fun in my movies, but for fucks sake every punchline in the movie was underlined and bolded. And Bryce Dallas Howard comes off as an offensively irredeemable buffoon, existing solely to bounce around Pratt and find more and more convoluted ways to reach increasing states of undress. Pratt too mostly phones it in for the last half of the movie. In fact I'd do a longer proper rant but I'm on mobile right now.

The increasing states of undress is a popular trope in visualizing character arcs. It's not meant to be sexy here.

dork

Banned
Who cares? And no, didn't even notice the brand. I heard people complain about the coke bottle too. It was hardly fucking there.

Fucking Reese's Pieces in E.T.
We're in an age of complainers

I saw it tonight. Thought it was good. Definitely worth your time to watch it. Once that theme song drops and you see the park it was like my childhood was coming back to me.

People thought this was sexist? Isn't the main character a strong woman? She was running that park lol

We're in an age of complainers

I saw it tonight. Thought it was good. Definitely worth your time to watch it. Once that theme song drops and you see the park it was like my childhood was coming back to me.
My go to remark is imagine our parents were like this. It's embarrassing behavior.

evanmisha

Also, when the
aviary gets breached
and we see the female lead, her hair has gone from perfectly straight to perfectly curled. They weren't afraid of making it look natural later in the movie so I don't get what the continuity person was going for there. She ran through the jungle sweating bullets and tada, that perfect loose beach curl.

Also, when the
aviary gets breached
and we see the female lead, her hair has gone from perfectly straight to perfectly curled. They weren't afraid of making it look natural later in the movie so I don't get what the continuity person was going for there. She ran through the jungle sweating bullets and tada, that perfect loose beach curl.
Unfortunately, there were scenes cut like the one where they smear shit on themselves.

The increasing states of undress is a popular trope in visualizing character arcs. It's not meant to be sexy here.

I'm sorry, did she actually have a character arc? As far as I could tell she was just a super uptight ditz for Pratt to weakly play off of. She had no development, she was as cardboard cutout as film damsels get.

Timu

Just got back from seeing this movie.

Best

Jurassic

Park

Sequel

Ever!!!

Not as polished as the 1st, but I liked it quite more than TLW and JP3. My theater got excited when the
T-Rex showed up
and they even applauded after the movie ended. Hell I almost shed a tear when the
dying Apatosaurus tried to get up but couldn't
, that was so sad.

I quite liked all the JP1 references and dino action in this. I want to see it again someday.

jtb

Banned
Colin and Bryce discussed this and came away feeling that not all feminism is girls acting tough and being "one of the guys". Softer sides are okay too.

But her keeping her heels on while shit goes down is a powerful stance for her character to take.

I just hate ism labeling of everything. It's getting a bit obnoxious.

She's every dumb (and negative, tbh) career woman stereotype rolled into one utterly useless character. It's not only that she's a total idiot for 90% of the movie, who's uselessness is accentuated by standing right next to hyper-masculine, awesome badass Chris Pratt, but then her uselessness actively forces Chris Pratt to be even more awesome.

And, as I said in the spoiler thread, it was that relationship and, especially, the film's one gratuitous kill shot, which was so sadistic and wildly out of place, that left a bad taste in my mouth. Not even the many varying baddies in the film got a death so intricately and gleefully mapped out. That was bizarre.

It's not a sexist film—it would have to actually devote a modicum of thought and care to its characters for that to even be on the table—it's just needlessly tasteless and dumb.

dork

Banned
Oh also. This movie to me just shows how incredible the first one was. Because to me the Dino's especially raptors looked just as good if not better in the original. Crazy.

Love all the throwbacks to the first one in this.

It's not a sexist film—it would have to actually devote a modicum of thought and care to its characters for that to even be on the table—it's just needlessly tasteless and dumb.

Pretty much this.

Which also reminds me before I go to bed my last major sticking point: this film also has some of the highest profile examples of masturbatory fanservice I've seen in recent memory.

jet1911

I really liked it. It's way better than TLW and JP3. All the nods to the first Jurassic Park were great and I loved how they used the theme throughout the movie. Also I don't care how plausible trainer raptor are, those guys were awesome.

evanmisha

The last thing I can think of that stood out were how laughably bad some of the extras were. Again when the
aviary is breached
, you see one of the extras holding on to a couple martini glasses. 'Hah!', I thought, until you see like 9 other extras doing the same thing in the next shot. Cue a bunch just sort of shuffling away and not running. It hurt my immersion in what I found to be the best scene of the movie. At first, it seemed like a statement-- these people clearly don't realize the severity of the situation they're in. Then the destruction starts and people are still running with their drinks in hand.

Like, uh... I think maybe those extras just don't want to spill their drinks. :/

denx

The last thing I can think of that stood out were how laughably bad some of the extras were. Again when the
aviary is breached
, you see one of the extras holding on to a couple martini glasses. 'Hah!', I thought, until you see like 9 other extras doing the same thing in the next shot. Cue a bunch just sort of shuffling away and not running. It hurt my immersion in what I found to be the best scene of the movie. At first, it seemed like a statement-- these people clearly don't realize the severity of the situation they're in. Then the destruction starts and people are still running with their drinks in hand.

Like, uh... I think maybe those extras just don't want to spill their drinks. :/

Seems like you have too much of a sharp eye for your own good in movies.

I'm sorry, did she actually have a character arc? As far as I could tell she was just a super uptight ditz for Pratt to weakly play off of. She had no development, she was as cardboard cutout as film damsels get.

She's every dumb (and negative, tbh) career woman stereotype rolled into one utterly useless character. It's not only that she's a total idiot for 90% of the movie, who's uselessness is accentuated by standing right next to hyper-masculine, awesome badass Chris Pratt, but then her uselessness actively forces Chris Pratt to be even more awesome.

And, as I said in the spoiler thread, it was that relationship and, especially, the film's one gratuitous kill shot, which was so sadistic and wildly out of place, that left a bad taste in my mouth. Not even the many varying baddies in the film got a death so intricately and gleefully mapped out. That was bizarre.

What I don't get is why can't they just be characters? Why is it always "black, female, gay" etc that get scrutinized for playing clichéd roles?

She's a business person. She also obviously has a knack for feminine flair (fuck, I don't even know if I can get in trouble for such a label these days...) with her stylistic choices and as the movie progresses she becomes more family oriented and more of a doer than a teller. All of this is symbolized by her apparel throughout the film. No, it isn't as deep as Lawrence of Arabia, but neither were any character in any JP film aside from Hammond... if that.

jtb

Banned
What I don't get is why can't they just be characters? Why is it always "black, female, gay" etc that get scrutinized for playing clichéd roles?

She's a business person. She also obviously has a knack for feminine flair (fuck, I don't even know if I can get in trouble for such a label these days...) with her stylistic choices and as the movie progresses she becomes more family oriented and more of a doer than a teller. All of this is symbokized by her apparel throughout the film. No, it isn't as deep as Lawrence of Arabia, but neither were any character in any JP film aside from Hammond... if that.

They are characters. Badly written ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom